Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread | All Star Break Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
Roslovic would be a good pick up in my opinion. He is a pretty versatile player as he can play center or wing. He has also put up some decent numbers in the past. Would be a good option for either 2RW or 3C.

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
Foegele would have a ton of value at the deadline if we traded him. Which probably tells us that he's a player we should keep.
Agreed he is a player 7 years into his career and seems to be figuring it out he could be a solid 50-60 point player next 3-to 4 years would be nice to be able to keep him

Reactions: Biltmore

Homesick

Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
We all know that this run won't last forever but if they only lose 2-3 games come the trade deadline I don't see the Oilers making any significant moves. Why risk ruining the chemistry they've built over the last 30 games for a chance at a slight upgrade?
Unless there's a significant injury I would be OK with no moves and just calling up guys for the playoffs(including Campbell)

Reactions: Arty Spooners Bsmnt

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
We all know that this run won't last forever but if they only lose 2-3 games come the trade deadline I don't see the Oilers making any significant moves. Why risk ruining the chemistry they've built over the last 30 games for a chance at a slight upgrade?
Unless there's a significant injury I would be OK with no moves and just calling up guys for the playoffs(including Campbell)

I'd have to disagree. The team still needs a legit top 6 scoring winger and a top four d man to replace Ceci in order to make a deep playoffs run for the cup. It's quite clear that Ekholm and Bouchard are the legitimate top pairing for this team. I really do like Ceci, but there's clear upgrades over him imo. Makes sense why they're looking at players like Anthony Duclair and Sean Walker. Even Henrique would be a solid top 9 forward too.

Reactions: Duke74 and McDoused

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
I'd have to disagree. The team still needs a legit top 6 scoring winger and a top four d man to replace Ceci in order to make a deep playoffs run for the cup. It's quite clear that Ekholm and Bouchard are the legitimate top pairing for this team. I really do like Ceci, but there's clear upgrades over him imo. Makes sense why they're looking at players like Anthony Duclair and Sean Walker. Even Henrique would be a solid top 9 forward too.

Agreed on our needs. Chemistry be damned, this locker room is a mature one and has survived potential chemistry disruptions of Kane, Yamo, Barrie, Perry soon etc etc. There’s always room for improvement. And our competition like the Avs, Knights, Nucks or whoever are going to make suitable upgrades to their roster. We can’t fall behind in the arms race if we expect to beat them all.

Interesting list there but I really don’t remember us being linked to like half those guys. Seems a very speculative list but I can see their reasoning.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
Agreed on our needs. Chemistry be damned, this locker room is a mature one and has survived potential chemistry disruptions of Kane, Yamo, Barrie, Perry soon etc etc. There’s always room for improvement. And our competition like the Avs, Knights, Nucks or whoever are going to make suitable upgrades to their roster. We can’t fall behind in the arms race if we expect to beat them all.

Interesting list there but I really don’t remember us being linked to like half those guys. Seems a very speculative list but I can see their reasoning.

GE8pTlTaUAAqplD

Gimme Sean Walker. When another team like the bolts are interested in acquiring Sean Walker, I know damn right that he's a good target to trade for.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
GE8pTlTaUAAqplD

Gimme Sean Walker. When another team like the bolts are interested in acquiring Sean Walker, I know damn right that he's a good target to trade for.

The analytics definitely favor Walker. Has TBay been linked to Walker though?

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
GE8pTlTaUAAqplD

There's one chronologic year between Ceci and Walker. Ceci has 752 NHL games and 64 NHL playoff games. Walker has 282 NHL regular season games and 2 career NHL playoff games. Ceci's established as a top pair d-man on Edmonton's blue line while Walker is only this year establishing himself as a good top 4 guy on an overachieving Flyers team.

Oilers aren't going to dump their 20 minute, high PK minute defenseman on a good contract for a lesser proven UFA guy.

If the Oilers look to upgrade on Ceci it will be for a proven NHL top 4 RD upgrade and one with security aka term.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
The analytics definitely favor Walker. Has TBay been linked to Walker though?

There's one chronologic year between Ceci and Walker. Ceci has 752 NHL games and 64 NHL playoff games. Walker has 282 NHL regular season games and 2 career NHL playoff games. Ceci's established as a top pair d-man on Edmonton's blue line while Walker is only this year establishing himself as a good top 4 guy on an overachieving Flyers team.

Oilers aren't going to dump their 20 minute, high PK minute defenseman on a good contract for a lesser proven UFA guy.

If the Oilers look to upgrade on Ceci it will be for a proven NHL top 4 RD upgrade and one with security aka term.

IMO, Ceci is no longer a top pair d man at all in this stage. For the Oilers to make a deep run in the post-season, I'd look for an upgrade over him. He's arguably the weakest link on the back end. The team cannot go through another post season with the pairing of Nurse + Ceci getting feasted upon again.

Reactions: McBooya42

BudBundy

May 16, 2005
I will get flamed for this but Eberle would be a good add at the deadline he has been very good in the playoffs the last few seasons but would need another team to buy half his salary in a 3-way if Kraken looks like they're going to miss. flame away haters :laugh:
Ok. I hereby flame you. Hard nope to Eberle.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011

IMO, Ceci is no longer a top pair d man at all in this stage. For the Oilers to make a deep run in the post-season, I'd look for an upgrade over him. He's arguably the weakest link on the back end. The team cannot go through another post season with the pairing of Nurse + Ceci getting feasted upon again.

Oh damn. I was just joking earlier when i said 1st++++++ for Walker to Bolts.

Agreed on Ceci.

Reactions: McDoused

Homesick

Aug 2, 2005
Calgary

Duclair is a LW and who does he bounce out of the top 9? RNH, Hyman, Kane, Foegele, Holloway, or Perry?
Walker was a clear #6 defenseman for a team that the Oilers beat in the playoffs two years in a row but now he is going to come in and be an upgrade on our top PK unit? At best his physicality and offense is a slight upgrade. But no guarantee he fits.
An upgrade on Brown I'm totally down with

Reactions: McAsuno

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver

Walker is not an upgrade on Ceci. The Oilers aren't going to downgrade to Walker and most especially not as a UFA that can walk for nothing at end of season. It's taken forever for Edmonton to build up a remotely competent defense corp. As I said, if they move Ceci it will be for an established NHL proven top 4 upgrade with term. That's not wishing and hoping and risk Sean Walker can play at top four level on a Cup contender.

Ceci was also hurt last playoffs which factored into his performance. Not to mention the Oilers team defending was highly erratic last season unlike this year under Knoblauch. Trade deadline is about solving issues not creating more question marks. Walker hasn't played at the level Ceci has in either regular season or playoff. But again, to restate and continually repeat myself, I believe the Oil will target as first priority a veteran top 4 RD to improve their core defending group. Though The Fourth Period is highly erratic, I still say keep an eye on the guy they have as #3 on their Trade Board ...

oilexport

Aug 29, 2010
Priority for me is a goalie, then top 4, then forward. We can't take a chance in net. If Skinner flops again In playoffs (its a single point of failure) we need another, good option.

Homesick

Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
Priority for me is a goalie, then top 4, then forward. We can't take a chance in net. If Skinner flops again In playoffs (its a single point of failure) we need another, good option.
I think the back up for the playoffs will be Jack Campbell. But miracles do happen so maybe SJ takes him

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
I will get flamed for this but Eberle would be a good add at the deadline he has been very good in the playoffs the last few seasons but would need another team to buy half his salary in a 3-way if Kraken looks like they're going to miss. flame away haters :laugh:
Honestly, I don't think he would be a bad add. As he has aged I think his game has matured. But I actually think he could be a better UFA addition on a cheap deal as a third line RW. For me for this year I'd still prefer Tarasenko.

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
Duclair is a LW and who does he bounce out of the top 9? RNH, Hyman, Kane, Foegele, Holloway, or Perry?
Walker was a clear #6 defenseman for a team that the Oilers beat in the playoffs two years in a row but now he is going to come in and be an upgrade on our top PK unit? At best his physicality and offense is a slight upgrade. But no guarantee he fits.
An upgrade on Brown I'm totally down with

Duclair was a RW in Florida. Most common lines were Huberdeau-Bennett-Duclair or Verhaege-Barkov-Duclair.

Both lines he was on as RW were wildly successful.

He's literally slotted in as a RW now in SJ next to Barabanov and Couture.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
no more goalie talk? do y'all see Skinner holding the fort for 28 games against Vancouver, Vegas, Colorado and Florida?
They might well be forced to do so. But since I think you are referencing the playoffs it is also possible that by that time Campbell returns as the back-up. If, and this is a big if, his confidence is restored he is probably as good as the options that may be available. Of course if a guy like MAF is available at a reasonable price they could do that. Bit right now there are no obvious moves that make the team better.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario

They don't have the cap space yet to replace Ceci next year with a $5-6M RHD. And if they trade Ceci for a UFA defender that is probably the starting cost for anyone better than Ceci right now. Walker is 29 and has career earnings of less than $9M. If he has any success at all going forward he will b looking for a long term deal at probably a minimum of $4.5M and likely more.

Bouchard's improvement and the play of that pairing makes Ceci a defacto #4. At $3.25M he is good value in that role. The Oilers should of course always be looking to get better. But they also have to be smart about this.

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
Roslovic would be a good pick up in my opinion. He is a pretty versatile player as he can play center or wing. He has also put up some decent numbers in the past. Would be a good option for either 2RW or 3C.
When Roslovic plays like he cares he's a quality player, but no coach seems to be able keep playing at that high level over an extended period.

To me he is a dice-roll addition he could be a great value pick-up and at the same time might prove to be roughly as effective as Athanasiou was for us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad