Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread | All Star Break Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
You don’t have to go past this thread to see some pure fantasy trade proposals but hab fans are next level. What they think they should get for Monahan is pretty funny.
LOL. Habs fans and their inflation of values initiative, pump-and-dump scheme is quite annoying. I guess I can't blame them though, we'd want to do the same for our assets.

As many as 2010 Team Canada
Did Team Canada operate in a Salary Cap League?

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
How many Centers does one team need?
I legit wouldn't be surprised if the team is heading into the deadline just with the plan of adding one high impact player (and a couple depth guys on the back end/goaltending).

The nice thing is, we aren't desperately bad in any position. but RW, RD or C, we could always use an upgrade. C would be more about flexibility with line options, or god forbid, injury

Reactions: McDoused

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Ekholm’s player card when he was in Nashville, before we acquired him:

Walker’s Player Card using the same or close to same method (before we hopefully acquire him):

Had a chance to check out another game’s worth of Walker shifts. Flyers vs. Avs, a game where the Avs won 7-4. In this this game Walker had an even 0 +\-, not on the ice for any Avs goal. A very impressive game by Walker even though Walker only played 13 mins cause Torts was experimenting with the newly acquired Drysdale (18 mins, -3). In this game Walker didn’t have his usual partner, Seeler and still had an impressive showing. This bodes well for his prospects in joining a new team with a new defensive partner.

I saw him play a MacKinnon 2 on 1 perfectly, cutting off MacKs pass option with great positioning while also simultaneously funnelling MacK into an oncoming back checker for the turnover. Saw him strip the puck from an activated and pinching Maker (lost his stick in the process but successfully stopped Makar). Saw him pretty much own Miles Wood on 3 occasions, protecting the puck and exiting against him twice and also preventing a grade A nearly sure fire goal with a well placed slash to Woods stick off a rebound opportunity. Saw Walker perfectly position himself during an incoming slot area one timer to ensure he was not screening the goalie while also blocking the top corner of the net and staying between his man and any net front threat off the rebound (the rebound went right to area where he was covering his man btw). On a developing 3 on 2 rush, MacK passed to Drouin for the entry but Walker had a good gap to pressure Drouin into losing the puck (Drouin did not look good in this sequence, bumbled the puck under pressure).

Nearly every single puck touch he made in this game turned into something positive moving the puck in the right direction. He reads the game very very well, he constantly stifled outlet passing attempts by the Avs. He also had one sequence in the o zone where he was first in the zone and he navigated through 2 Avs defenders checking him to start the cycle, essentially playing as a forechecking winger. He also has a wicked wrister and slap shot with accurate aiming. Saw him get off a quick well placed one timer from the blue line. Also saw him label a shot top corner from the center ice Red line(!) off a neutral zone face off that actually surprised Georgiev. If Coffey wants his D-men making plays, Walker will make plays for you all game long. I am pretty sure this dude would be an upgrade on Ceci worth exploring. He’s just smarter than Ceci in his play reads, he’s got a way better and smarter shot, he can make stick handle plays that Ceci can’t, his activations on rushes are quickly decided upon and effective, he outlets and passes the puck with a quickness and decisiveness that’s a step or two faster than what Ceci can do. He would help our transition game, he would help us play “half ice hockey” with his neutral zone reads and stick check, he would help our o-zone game immensely with his shooting and ability to make plays (passing and stick handles).

I won't speak to if we can acquire him or whether we should in the context of his UFA status that'll be another post. Tampa Bay is now in the picture and that's an organization that has shown they will pay up for what they want, while also having the ability (tax advantage) of extending anyone they want to keep... that throws a wrench into the cost-to-aquire picture. That will be for another post, but I really do think he'll improve our team in areas of need and can saw-off what Ceci provides to the team in the D-zone.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
LOL. Habs fans and their inflation of values initiative, pump-and-dump scheme is quite annoying. I guess I can't blame them though, we'd want to do the same for our assets.

Did Team Canada operate in a Salary Cap League?
Lol they also have this “take it or leave it” attitude. As if their prospects are not completely average.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
I think Walker might just be that perfect fit for what the team needs.

I think they can move Ceci out, again I look at the Ducks who could use a Veteran to help and they could move him as a pending UFA next year.

Then try to get Walker for a 2nd ++

First deal looks like

To ANA: Ceci and Edm's 2024 6th

To EDM: Hagg (Veteran depth, currently in the AHL) Pit's 2024 3rd

then

To PHI: Lavoie, 2024 2nd, 2025 4th and 2026 2nd

To EDM: Walker and Allison

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
I legit wouldn't be surprised if the team is heading into the deadline just with the plan of adding one high impact player (and a couple depth guys on the back end/goaltending).

The nice thing is, we aren't desperately bad in any position. but RW, RD or C, we could always use an upgrade. C would be more about flexibility with line options, or god forbid, injury
Yeh the good thing about our position is that we aren't in desperation mode. We are in "tweaking" mode. But definitely I think there's still room for improvement on this roster. For me I target RW and RD... Center flexibility we have in spades as it is with Nuge, Mcleod, Ryan all able to swap between C and Wing. And they play behind the 2 best centers in the League. To me that is not an area of weakness that you need to bolster. There are other more pressing areas of need.

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
I always find this interesting. They are usually pretty close. A few way offs, but interesting to say the least. Contract projections.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
You work with what you have
What we have is cap constraints and assets constraints. So you can't just load up on everything like Team Canada.

I think Walker might just be that perfect fit for what the team needs.

I think they can move Ceci out, again I look at the Ducks who could use a Veteran to help and they could move him as a pending UFA next year.

Then try to get Walker for a 2nd ++

First deal looks like

To ANA: Ceci and Edm's 2024 6th

To EDM: Hagg (Veteran depth, currently in the AHL) Pit's 2024 3rd

then

To PHI: Lavoie, 2024 2nd, 2025 4th and 2026 2nd

To EDM: Walker and Allison
Yeh we can move Ceci in a minor deal. There'll be some interest. Then hope for a reasonable acquisition cost on Walker (f***in Tampa). Saves the money we need for a RW upgrade doing just this.

Reactions: Jimmi McJenkins

mkatcherin00

Sponsor
Apr 2, 2023
Lol they also have this “take it or leave it” attitude. As if their prospects are not completely average.
Why do people care about what fans think of trade proposals? lol. Always baffles me. Do fans get final say and the MTL GM calls them?

Ekholm’s player card when he was in Nashville, before we acquired him:

Walker’s Player Card using the same or close to same method (before we hopefully acquire him):

Had a chance to check out another game’s worth of Walker shifts. Flyers vs. Avs, a game where the Avs won 7-4. In this this game Walker had an even 0 +\-, not on the ice for any Avs goal. A very impressive game by Walker even though Walker only played 13 mins cause Torts was experimenting with the newly acquired Drysdale (18 mins, -3). In this game Walker didn’t have his usual partner, Seeler and still had an impressive showing. This bodes well for his prospects in joining a new team with a new defensive partner.

I saw him play a MacKinnon 2 on 1 perfectly, cutting off MacKs pass option with great positioning while also simultaneously funnelling MacK into an oncoming back checker for the turnover. Saw him strip the puck from an activated and pinching Maker (lost his stick in the process but successfully stopped Makar). Saw him pretty much own Miles Wood on 3 occasions, protecting the puck and exiting against him twice and also preventing a grade A nearly sure fire goal with a well placed slash to Woods stick off a rebound opportunity. Saw Walker perfectly position himself during an incoming slot area one timer to ensure he was not screening the goalie while also blocking the top corner of the net and staying between his man and any net front threat off the rebound (the rebound went right to area where he was covering his man btw). On a developing 3 on 2 rush, MacK passed to Drouin for the entry but Walker had a good gap to pressure Drouin into losing the puck (Drouin did not look good in this sequence, bumbled the puck under pressure).

Nearly every single puck touch he made in this game turned into something positive moving the puck in the right direction. He reads the game very very well, he constantly stifled outlet passing attempts by the Avs. He also had one sequence in the o zone where he was first in the zone and he navigated through 2 Avs defenders checking him to start the cycle, essentially playing as a forechecking winger. He also has a wicked wrister and slap shot with accurate aiming. Saw him get off a quick well placed one timer from the blue line. Also saw him label a shot top corner from the center ice Red line(!) off a neutral zone face off that actually surprised Georgiev. If Coffey wants his D-men making plays, Walker will make plays for you all game long. I am pretty sure this dude would be an upgrade on Ceci worth exploring. He’s just smarter than Ceci in his play reads, he’s got a way better and smarter shot, he can make stick handle plays that Ceci can’t, his activations on rushes are quickly decided upon and effective, he outlets and passes the puck with a quickness and decisiveness that’s a step or two faster than what Ceci can do. He would help our transition game, he would help us play “half ice hockey” with his neutral zone reads and stick check, he would help our o-zone game immensely with his shooting and ability to make plays (passing and stick handles).

I won't speak to if we can acquire him or whether we should in the context of his UFA status that'll be another post. Tampa Bay is now in the picture and that's an organization that has shown they will pay up for what they want, while also having the ability (tax advantage) of extending anyone they want to keep... that throws a wrench into the cost-to-aquire picture. That will be for another post, but I really do think he'll improve our team in areas of need and can saw-off what Ceci provides to the team in the D-zone.

Have to give you credit for doing research and taking time to watch the player you are talking about.

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
There's one chronologic year between Ceci and Walker. Ceci has 752 NHL games and 64 NHL playoff games. Walker has 282 NHL regular season games and 2 career NHL playoff games. Ceci's established as a top pair d-man on Edmonton's blue line while Walker is only this year establishing himself as a good top 4 guy on an overachieving Flyers team.

Oilers aren't going to dump their 20 minute, high PK minute defenseman on a good contract for a lesser proven UFA guy.

If the Oilers look to upgrade on Ceci it will be for a proven NHL top 4 RD upgrade and one with security aka term.
I disagree that Ceci is an established top pairing guy in any capacity. He's just put in that role in Edmonton because there's no one better.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Watching Flyers-Knights right now:

PbP Guy: "How good has this Walker guy been this game, he's been very noticeable"

"Guess who, Walker again" <- As he pokes a puck off Stone's stick in the neutral zone

When's the last time we've heard anyone say that about Ceci during a game? Never?

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
Why do people care about what fans think of trade proposals? lol. Always baffles me. Do fans get final say and the MTL GM calls them?

Have to give you credit for doing research and taking time to watch the player you are talking about.
I didn’t say that I cared I said it was funny.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011

I'm really liking the armchair GM thing this year lol. Hopefully my word salad doesn't just go out into the ether, but I like using HF as a record of my hockey thoughts anyways and seeing if I was right or wrong.

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
no more goalie talk? do y'all see Skinner holding the fort for 28 games against Vancouver, Vegas, Colorado and Florida?
Did anyone think Adin Hill was going to hold the fort the way he did?

Not saying we don't need another option behind Skinner, but he could just as likely do what he has been doing as he could implode again.

I think he's definitely somewhere in the middle at this current point in time.

Reactions: RegDunlop

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Lots , because they can always play wing if you have extra. And lots of faceoff guys when players get kicked out of the circle.
There's also players that are more suited for wing. Natural Wingers. It seems that's where we are weak this year with the Brown flopping. So would it not make sense to target that when Center Flexibility is already an area of strength on this team

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
What we have is cap constraints and assets constraints. So you can't just load up on everything like Team Canada.

Yeh we can move Ceci in a minor deal. There'll be some interest. Then hope for a reasonable acquisition cost on Walker (f***in Tampa). Saves the money we need for a RW upgrade doing just this.
It's literally why it's the perfect spot. Plus the Oilers have kids that might be able to make their way with the good overall depth on the blueline next year.

The other thing, besides the cap space (which might be able to be increased further by getting another team to eat some of Walker's deal), if you can get him leaving you the assets to out bid everyone for Guentzel, would be a hell of coup.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
It's literally why it's the perfect spot. Plus the Oilers have kids that might be able to make their way with the good overall depth on the blueline next year.

The other thing, besides the cap space (which might be able to be increased further by getting another team to eat some of Walker's deal), if you can get him leaving you the assets to out bid everyone for Guentzel, would be a hell of coup.
Yeh I like the fit. Walker's history or lackthereof and some warts (size) should lend himself to be acquirable for a reasonable cost. And we know his Cap hit is more than reasonable.

I get that he has no term though and that will be brought up as a negative. But really, the best deals to be had at every TDL are rentals for rental prices that you then Extend after the fact. Vegas did exactly that with Barabonov, acquired as a rental, extended to be a core member. Ekholm would have been cheaper if that was an option with him. The only caveat is that it's hard to rely on extensions if you're the Oilers... we aren't like Vegas or Tampa or NYR where if you want a player, you'll get that player. So that's a risk that needs to be considered. That said, he's 29 and he's only had 1 good year... maybe its possible in that situation to pay up to keep him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad