Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread | All Star Break Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
So things have been going great for the Oilers obviously as they enter the break on the second longest win streak in NHL history. On a veteran team like this the break is valuable for those that have hard miles on their bodies like Hyman, Kane, Nurse, etc. It probably isn't ideal that Skinner sits since he's on a roll, but hopefully the rest benefits him too.

AddyTheWrath

Mar 24, 2015
Toronto
I can understand wanting to upgrade Ceci (I do too) but the argument that there isn't a huge upgrade available and you might as well roll with the chemistry (on and off ice) also makes sense.

I think the Oilers probably use their space on a top 6 RW or 3c. There's more players available to select from, which will hopefully drive the price down as well.

Not really a great TDL market this year.

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
Anyone think not having a top-6 RW might make the bottom-6 hungrier? Feels like we've seen players like Foegele and McLeod step up into the top-6 as a reward and just wondering how that might affect them if that opportunity for reward gets taken away.

Maybe I'm just overthinking it but I don't remember having a point this year where I thought having a top-6 RWer could have been the difference in winning and losing

AddyTheWrath

Mar 24, 2015
Toronto
Anyone think not having a top-6 RW might make the bottom-6 hungrier? Feels like we've seen players like Foegele and McLeod step up into the top-6 as a reward and just wondering how that might affect them if that opportunity for reward gets taken away.

Maybe I'm just overthinking it but I don't remember having a point this year where I thought having a top-6 RWer could have been the difference in winning and losing
If you think back to last playoffs, I think having another proven playoff point producer could have definitely helped against Vegas when Kane, Nuge and Hyman all went cold

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
If you think back to last playoffs, I think having another proven playoff point producer could have definitely helped against Vegas when Kane, Nuge and Hyman all went cold

Having them all go cold at the same time makes me think it was do with the system Vegas was using to shut us down and not confident player X could have done what they couldn't, but just my opinion. I also understand it's a good idea to have as many tools in the toolbox as well. I guess we need to considering the possibility of injuries too.

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3

I dont think a 2RW is a necessity but I do think it's a clear area of weakness. The goal in the playoffs isn't just to be a good team, it's to be the best team. Any upgrade you can make can be a massive advantage. When I look back at previous cup winners they all had guys step up in the later rounds. Does Vegas win without Barbashev? Does Colorado win without Nuke? They definitely played big parts on their teams success. Heck even go back to Pittsburgh that had Kessel on their 3rd line.

Adding in a 2RW or 3C could very well could be the difference between winning and losing it all.

Last edited:

CROTT

Aug 25, 2007
Edmonton
I dont think a 2RW is a necessity but I do think it's a clear area of weakness. The goal in the playoffs isn't just to be a good team, it's to be the best team. Any upgrade you can make can be a massive advantage. When I look back at previous cup winners they all had guys step up in the later rounds. Does Vegas win without Barbashev? Does Colorado win without Nuke? They definitely played big parts on their teams success. Heck even go back to Pittsburgh that had Kessel on their 3rd line.

Adding in a 2RW or 3C could very well could be the difference between winning and losing it all.

Who should the Oilers LTIR till the playoffs to be able to trade for a Barbashev equivalent?

On a more serious note, some have brought it up maybe try Perry on Drasaitl’s right side?

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011

You need clutch scoring in the playoffs if you want to Win a Cup. Every Cup run had someone step up outside the usual suspects. How bout Lehkonen for the As
Avs. Even us, do we get past LA without that clutch snipe from Kostin?

This is the year where we need to just pay up and make ourselves the best team possible. Some hard decisions will need to be made; but the roster has to be optimized to win.

Who should the Oilers LTIR till the playoffs to be able to trade for a Barbashev equivalent?

On a more serious note, some have brought it up maybe try Perry on Drasaitl’s right side?

Nurse. I’m just joking though, but not really…

Reactions: McDoused

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3

I dont see the Oilers going the LTIR route. They probably could throw Kane on it but they are too scared that guys will come back early and force them to lose someone for nothing.

Seriously though in the last thread I pointed out that the only players we can move to gain cap space right now are Campbell (would be incredibly expensive), Ceci (would only be moved in an upgrade) and Kulak (luxury on 3rd pair).

if they arent willing to move cap out, they need to do cap gymnastics to bring in guys with double retention.

At this point If you can bring down the cost of unloading Campbell contract I think you need to do it. That's 5M in cap just going unused (3.85 in savings with him being in the minors).

alphahelix

Feb 15, 2007
i think you could trade foegele for an rw upgrade but itd be hard to find the right deal that gets you a legit upgrade for an acceptable price... if they were under contract next year for cheap would be even better

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
i think you could trade foegele for an rw upgrade but itd be hard to find the right deal that gets you a legit upgrade for an acceptable price... if they were under contract next year for cheap would be even better

Foegele would have a ton of value at the deadline if we traded him. Which probably tells us that he's a player we should keep.

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
I can't wait to not watch the all-star festivities like I do every year. Zzzzzzzz
I don't even watch anymore I used to like it when they played for real Wales against Campbell those were interesting games now it's just gimmicks only 8 year-olds would like somebody mentioned a few years ago to have the conferences play for home ice advantage through the playoffs I think it would be a great Idea. change the president trophy to whoever wins it gets to move up the draft 10 spots it would create more competition for teams not dogging it near the end off the season

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
I would have traded Foegele off-season as part of a package for a top 4 RD upgrade. Contract year Foegele though has been lights out with a consistent motor, versatility and timely scoring. He's not going to be dealt (and shouldn't be).

AddyTheWrath

Mar 24, 2015
Toronto
if you think back to who Draisaitl plays well with, it’s usually a guy who plays with speed. He’s also worked well with Center turned wingers, likely because they can support him defensively. Obviously McLeod, McDavid, Nuge are the names that come to mind here.

I would look for a fast skating hybrid center/winger who is an efficient shooter (something this team doesn’t have much of). Preferably right shot but not the end of the world either way

Any names out there fit that bill?

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
if you think back to who Draisaitl plays well with, it’s usually a guy who plays with speed. He’s also worked well with Center turned wingers, likely because they can support him defensively. Obviously McLeod, McDavid, Nuge are the names that come to mind here.

I would look for a fast skating hybrid center/winger who is an efficient shooter (something this team doesn’t have much of). Preferably right shot but not the end of the world either way

Any names out there fit that bill?
Giroux is the ideal fit.

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
I will get flamed for this but Eberle would be a good add at the deadline he has been very good in the playoffs the last few seasons but would need another team to buy half his salary in a 3-way if Kraken looks like they're going to miss. flame away haters :laugh:

Reactions: Mr Kot and McDoused

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
Giroux is the ideal fit.

Giroux is one of my favorite players. I would love him here. He brings leadership qualities, hates to lose and can play center when Drai gets pushed up to the top line. My only issue is that he has a year next year that Ottawa would have to retain on. I can't imagine it would be cheap to get him at 3.25M (50% retained). I dont even know how we fit that in unless we unload Campbell.

Reactions: LTIR

oil Leaks

The Ultimate Decoy
Jul 5, 2011
I would rather go after Toffoli, Tarasenko, or Perron instead of Eberle if we are looking for an upgrade on the wing. All three of them are cup winners and will bring much-needed experience to our core.

Giroux would be the dream, but I don't we can make happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $340.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Bologna vs Udinese
    Bologna vs Udinese