Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread | All Star Break Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
If you go off these stats it would show that Ekholm is the worst dman on the Oilers and the one making everyone worse which is just simply not true. This is why you can't A) use individual game results and B) need to use context. Defenseman A can put up 40% Corsi against RNH-McDavid-Hyman while Defenseman B can put up 60% Corsi against Janmark-Ryan-Brown, and I think it's pretty obvious that Defenseman A had the better night. Hilarious that you use Kulak-Bouchard as an example b/c the largest reason for Bouchard's struggles last season were due to having to play with Kulak in a 2nd pairing role against opposing middle 6 forwads, and Bouchard immediately did better after playing with Broberg and Ekholm respectively. Brett Kulak's status as a sheltered veteran makes him a problem in deployment and makes it more difficult for the coach and his teammates. Much like how Tyson Barrie was making all 5 defenseman on the team worse last season just by being on the roster, despite his individual on ice metrics being actually pretty good (Kulak doesn't need to be sheltered quite as much as Barrie, but similar concept). Now Barrie is Nashville's problem and making it a living nightmare for Josi/McDonagh and co. His 3 million salary is better used elsewhere.

Look at Kulak’s body of work this season and you will see how solid he is on the back end. The Kulak/Desharnais pairing has been excellent all season in terms of shot suppression and giving up high danger chances. You would be an absolute fool to break that up. I’m not saying Kulak should get a top 4 spot on this team. All I’m saying is that he shouldn’t be foolishly traded away to make room for a marginal upgrade. Ceci can be moved instead as we shouldn’t be touching the Ekholm/Bouchard and Kulak/Desharnais pairings.

foshizzle

Feb 1, 2007
LOL it does seem like such a waste. They gotta fly out there, spend a day and a night, find transport to the stadium, spend about 4 hours there, then fly back home.

Meanwhile, you can watch the player after the game is over and scout him in 20 minutes tops by skipping all other plays, commercials, and intermissions. You could probably scout like 30 games worth of a player's games in the time it would take to make one physical trip to go and scout him.
Because teams love the old school ways. You can watch the player on TV, have the analytics of the player to confirm what your eyes saw- all from a laptop

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Because teams love the old school ways. You can watch the player on TV, have the analytics of the player to confirm what your eyes saw- all from a laptop

You can’t see complete systems play away from the camera, how the players are executing within the system as they are off camera too much, if flaws seem teachable or ingrained, managing gaps, foot speed in relation to dead stops and angles of attack. I could go on forever but TV combined with spreadsheets are not a replacement for live viewing. They are supplementary.

Sheikyerbouti

ShakeyerMcBooty
Nov 4, 2006
Van isle
100%

The scouts are also recording game stats which are non proprietary and not tracked. They also see qualitative stuff, like frustration on the bench. The list is long. Most video just follows the puck

Scouting should always be a combination. The sabres have been doing a lot of video scouting, to save money, and how well is that working for them? lol

Back in the day the Oilers scouting was the opposite, saw a player good ten times live and became biased, when we would have been better using more robust public sourced scouting imo

Good teams use all streams of scouting effectively and value it all to form a robust dataset

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
Friedman saying that the flames and devils talked about market romance but now unlikely.

Friedman also saying Guenztel, Tanev, Hanifin and Henrique are delaying the market.

Edmonton has eyes on Guenztel per Friedman.

Buffalo wants to make their team better now... weird.

Sheikyerbouti

ShakeyerMcBooty
Nov 4, 2006
Van isle
Re" Vinny D

Bumping him into the top 4 during a contract year is banana's to me. If it works out we have shot ourselves in the foot. We are giving his agents a lot of leverage for minimal returns

I really hope this was an experiment to see what a future trade might look like and it's very shorterm

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Re" Vinny D

Bumping him into the top 4 during a contract year is banana's to me. If it works out we have shot ourselves in the foot. We are giving his agents a lot of leverage for minimal returns

I really hope this was an experiment to see what a future trade might look like and it's very shorterm
I didn't even realize that he's an UFA at season's end.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Holloway could probably be used to get us a legit top 6 guy. I just don’t ever see Holloway having the offense for it.
I would not trade him. He's had a lot of lost development due to injuries. He has everything that you need in a player to succeed at the NHL level. Unless we're adding an impact player with term, he's off the table.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
I would not trade him. He's had a lot of lost development due to injuries. He has everything that you need in a player to succeed at the NHL level. Unless we're adding an impact player with term, he's off the table.
You don’t just get that development back though. Guys almost never do. He doesn’t have the hands or scoring ability to be a legit good player in this league. He could bounce around as a 3rd liner but he is getting passed by tons of guys drafted after him, his value is only getting lower.

And yeah I think you could convince a team to take him for a legit top 6 guys with term or in part for a defender. I just don’t see him as an impact player.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
You don’t just get that development back though. Guys almost never do. He doesn’t have the hands or scoring ability to be a legit good player in this league. He could bounce around as a 3rd liner but he is getting passed by tons of guys drafted after him, his value is only getting lower.

And yeah I think you could convince a team to take him for a legit top 6 guys with term or in part for a defender. I just don’t see him as an impact player.
He has the hands, just needs more experience and opportunity.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta

Holloway? I agree, I think he more likely to be a middle to bottom-6 player, but he might be very good one in the league. But I also agree, I don't view him as untouchable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad