Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread | All Star Break Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
I’d assume they’d want to keep Fabbro since Carrier and Barrie are probably leaving. Nashville should be open to taking on Ceci’s final year because of that at least. I don’t think Carrier returns a 1st, but if it’s Sissons plus a half price Carrier I could see a 1st and Ceci going for that.

All the new pairings need more than a game together to get a decent assessment. Give them a few weeks and then pull the plug if it’s still not working.
They were awful against a bottom 3 team in the league. Desharnais isn’t a top 4 dman. Nothing wrong with that. Not something you try for weeks while in the playoff hunt.

An aside. I’d love for Holloway to start to figure out how to produce at this level. The guys drafted after him that are out performing him grows by the day.

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
I’d be curious to know managements thoughts on goaltending. After a slow start where the team was horrific defensively, Skinner has been one of the best goalies in the league. Pickard has given them exactly what you want out of a backup. Then you have one of the best young goalies in the AHL and the elephant in the room Campbell who you don’t want to rely on hoping he’s overcome his demons but he does have a track record as a NHL starter with decent numbers. Obviously his recent play of the last two years has to take precedent but you can’t completely overlook his overall body of work.

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
IMG_2886.jpeg

Kulak is pretty darn steady most nights no matter who is partner is. Just look at on ice shots for and against 5v5 yesterday. Kulak/Bouchard pairing was 16/3 while Kulak/Ceci pairing was 9/0. If we’re looking at a player. It’s clear that Ceci will be the one to go if we do bring in a defenseman close to the deadline.

Ekholm/Bouchard
Nurse/________
Kulak/Desharnais

As for the forwards, I am digging the top 2 lines but we do need to acquire another mid six winger to come into the fold. One of McLeod/Foegele/Holloway can then drop to line 4 to add a bit of a pulse on the offensive side of things. You can’t always rely on 9 forwards to get the job done offensively night in and night out. 4th line should be contributing as well.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
I’d be curious to know managements thoughts on goaltending. After a slow start where the team was horrific defensively, Skinner has been one of the best goalies in the league. Pickard has given them exactly what you want out of a backup. Then you have one of the best young goalies in the AHL and the elephant in the room Campbell who you don’t want to rely on hoping he’s overcome his demons but he does have a track record as a NHL starter with decent numbers. Obviously his recent play of the last two years has to take precedent but you can’t completely overlook his overall body of work.
Have to think they think it's fine. Most any team would look at that goaltending depth including a viable starter and backup and would be fine with it.

Reactions: Whoshattenkirkshoes

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Won't be Kyrou who fits with Thomas as the emerging peak year reset forward core for St. Louis.

Likely cribbed from The Fourth Period that mentions Armstrong's not being afraid to make big moves and has two Blues d-men on their trade board, Parayko and conditionally Krug. The big play would be to move out one of 5 age 30 and older d-men with big ticket contracts and term. Most desired to move is likely Krug who's already vetoed a summer trade. A RD of either Faulk or Parayko makes sense with Faulk having lesser term length and a more defined offensive game which might be a desirable commodity.

Schenn is likely a culture foundation player but flushing an already retained Kevin Hayes is a viable consideration. But St. Louis has more fat and positional flexibility at defense (though inflexible with no-trade contracts).

Reactions: McTonyBrar

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011

looks like we are not in on Dowd

Hm, well that'd make sense to me, despite where Stauffer's boners point to. I don't think this team needs more centers and I don't think we'll be looking at more Centers. Atleast not as our 1st or even 2nd priority.

That said, I'm watching this game right now too, Jensen had a decent shift. Still an okay Ceci upgrade option but I don't like his term at his age.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
I never understood why scouts need to be in attendance. Wouldn’t it make more sense to scout various games in one night while on the couch at home? lol
LOL it does seem like such a waste. They gotta fly out there, spend a day and a night, find transport to the stadium, spend about 4 hours there, then fly back home.

Meanwhile, you can watch the player after the game is over and scout him in 20 minutes tops by skipping all other plays, commercials, and intermissions. You could probably scout like 30 games worth of a player's games in the time it would take to make one physical trip to go and scout him.

Reactions: McDrai

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
I never understood why scouts need to be in attendance. Wouldn’t it make more sense to scout various games in one night while on the couch at home? lol
I talk to scouts at Junior games all the time. TV doesn't always focus where your player is. You want to see what he's doing when he doesn't have the puck. What's his body language on the ice and on the bench. Plus you're just watching the game from a different angle.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
I talk to scouts at Junior games all the time. TV doesn't always focus where your player is. You want to see what he's doing when he doesn't have the puck. What's his body language on the ice and on the bench. Plus you're just watching the game from a different angle.
Makes more sense with Juniors cause there's less TV coverage and worse Cameras in general. Plus you are trying to dig deeper like trying to assess character on and off the ice. But for pro scouting it seems like a giant waste of time.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Others have answered you. But will add it is the information you want away from the play that requires in-person observation. How is the player's play away from the puck? How is their commitment level to all facets of the game? How is their body language and engagement on the bench? With teammates and coaching? Small pieces of information that help to fill in pieces about the player's aptitude, character, grit and determination, resiliency which are vital components that might define NHL potential or not.

Teams have incredible access to content which can show snapshots of skill and aptitude to some extent. But with the critical importance of drafting raw talent that might play it is vital to sift through all available information. At the heart of that is still live viewings.

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013
Sissons and Carrier at half price is within 100k of Ceci and Gagner’s combined cap. Janmark waived or included in the swap saves some cap. It would still leave room for a top 6 rental with retention, even Guentzel with double retention.

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009

It’s too bad there isn’t a separate feed for the scouts which shows the benches with possible audio as well. That would be groundbreaking and would allow scouts to look at multiple players from different teams in one evening.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
I bet we have the inside track on Tanev

The Flames look like they want to stay competitive. We have interest in upgrading someone like Ceci or Kulak but both of them are damn good defensemen. Either could be like the Kuzmenko of the deal. They did that one year. They sold guys off but made the playoffs.

I suppose other teams may have Dmen to send back. But, Calgary has seen a lot of our guys.

I think the chances of Walker is much higher than Tanev personally. Not necessarily because the team covets him more. I just think Vancouver will overpay for him and Calgary/Vancouver have already made trades. I also think Toronto will overpay. Edmonton also probably pays a provincial tax on the deal.

Green Xero

I just don't care
Aug 2, 2023
Hell
They can watch things like effort/ability away from the play that the camera may not be focused on. If he gets tripped does he cry to the ref like a Sedin or does he haul ass back into the play like Smytty. Plus you can see how they act on the bench. Maybe they're a pouter, the other players roll their eyes when he talks or think he smells bad and dont want to sit beside him. Lol

Trafalgar Sadge Law

Nov 8, 2007
View attachment 817477

Kulak is pretty darn steady most nights no matter who is partner is. Just look at on ice shots for and against 5v5 yesterday. Kulak/Bouchard pairing was 16/3 while Kulak/Ceci pairing was 9/0. If we’re looking at a player. It’s clear that Ceci will be the one to go if we do bring in a defenseman close to the deadline.

Ekholm/Bouchard
Nurse/________
Kulak/Desharnais

As for the forwards, I am digging the top 2 lines but we do need to acquire another mid six winger to come into the fold. One of McLeod/Foegele/Holloway can then drop to line 4 to add a bit of a pulse on the offensive side of things. You can’t always rely on 9 forwards to get the job done offensively night in and night out. 4th line should be contributing as well.
If you go off these stats it would show that Ekholm is the worst dman on the Oilers and the one making everyone worse which is just simply not true. This is why you can't A) use individual game results and B) need to use context. Defenseman A can put up 40% Corsi against RNH-McDavid-Hyman while Defenseman B can put up 60% Corsi against Janmark-Ryan-Brown, and I think it's pretty obvious that Defenseman A had the better night. Hilarious that you use Kulak-Bouchard as an example b/c the largest reason for Bouchard's struggles last season were due to having to play with Kulak in a 2nd pairing role against opposing middle 6 forwads, and Bouchard immediately did better after playing with Broberg and Ekholm respectively. Brett Kulak's status as a sheltered veteran makes him a problem in deployment and makes it more difficult for the coach and his teammates. Much like how Tyson Barrie was making all 5 defenseman on the team worse last season just by being on the roster, despite his individual on ice metrics being actually pretty good (Kulak doesn't need to be sheltered quite as much as Barrie, but similar concept). Now Barrie is Nashville's problem and making it a living nightmare for Josi/McDonagh and co. His 3 million salary is better used elsewhere.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I think the chances of Walker is much higher than Tanev personally. Not necessarily because the team covets him more. I just think Vancouver will overpay for him and Calgary/Vancouver have already made trades. I also think Toronto will overpay. Edmonton also probably pays a provincial tax on the deal.
I'd worry that Tanev is just that little bit better, but that little bit adds up to a whole lot in the momemt.
But, I will yield to our team's scouts on this one. Holland is the one pulling the trigger (and/or Jackson) and if they can get someone basically as good as Tanev but for less cost, then I'm all for it. I looked at his usage a bit in Philly and does seem to match our needs. My armchair reaction is that Walker would be a bit better at moving the puck but Ceci might be a bit better in the D zone. I would prefer to make a move that is a clear upgrade, and Tanev has a very, very high reputation. I also remember him much better. That playoff series a couple years ago was quite telling. When the Oilers were stomping the Flames, Tanev was by far the best Flame. Smart with the puck all over the place and was shutting us down. I'm not sure if he's regressed at all since then

Trafalgar Sadge Law

Nov 8, 2007
The issue with Walker and Tanev is that Walker isn't even a guaranteed upgrade on Ceci and has actually played worse than Ceci in most seasons prior to this year. Very sheltered player with very poor defensive metrics most of his time on LA and it's up in the air whether his play in Philly is more individual improvement or the way Philly's system uses him. Tanev has proven to be one of the best shot suppressors in the NHL for the past decade under multiple coaches with multiple partners. Let's go get the guy who for sure makes us one of the best top 4s in the NHL.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Others have answered you. But will add it is the information you want away from the play that requires in-person observation. How is the player's play away from the puck? How is their commitment level to all facets of the game? How is their body language and engagement on the bench? With teammates and coaching? Small pieces of information that help to fill in pieces about the player's aptitude, character, grit and determination, resiliency which are vital components that might define NHL potential or not.

Teams have incredible access to content which can show snapshots of skill and aptitude to some extent. But with the critical importance of drafting raw talent that might play it is vital to sift through all available information. At the heart of that is still live viewings.
Yeah, I was going to mention how I find myself watching a lot of stuff away from the play when I'm at a live game. I like to see how the opposing team's D is situated to counter a breakout. I'm definitely not a scout, but watching on TV, you're definitely limited to what you can see.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad