Rumor: Rumors and Proposals Thread: We Need HELP!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anarchism

John Henry
May 23, 2019
northern alberta
Hawks probably think Pulju is a bust and want nothing to do Gagner...plus they retain 2 mil on his salary?
no chance
I agree with this unless that pick is a first....LOL ...and that doesnt make sense for us .....Saad fits the bill mostly....will he resign??
Chicago retooling ....they want a first this year or a developed top D prospect in return and then they might retain.
Theres other teams on the cusp of competing contention this year will pay more than we will.
Saad's a pipe dream.

Chabot84

Oct 24, 2009
This summer he gives his final ultamatum. 1 year tops. Hes gone by 2021 January if this does not improve dramatically. Heard it here. Then all these pom pom waving Oiler fanatics who trashed on Hall can then rip 97 , when the real problem is the organization and the garbage they have built around him, the dead fans at the arena and the city.

this guy is either a troll or knows something..

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
How so? His scoring rates are down (for him) but the team is worse when he's off the ice.

The real problem is Draisaitl and the goalies.
well ya, even a slowed-down McDavid will be better when he's on the ice than off it :laugh:
he's also got the 5th worst EV goal differential in the past 21 games...including -4 in 3-on-3

MinimaMoralia

May 1, 2015
Malgin might be a good buy low fellow. Getting kind of lost in Florida, he’s been a healthy scratch in the last few, but slick and full of potential, and a right shot. They’re a good team but could use a bit more grit or an upgrade on their bottom pairing. Maybe something like Khaira or Benning or Lags could work as a Fabbri-like deal. ‍

Reactions: Not Canada Drai

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Don't think Holland can pull this off in time.

Wasting an entire year to "evaluate" is a terrible idea and puts incredible pressure on next summer.

KlefDown

I adore Soli
May 2, 2014

Wasting an entire year to "evaluate" is a terrible idea and puts incredible pressure on next summer.
not to mention his evaluations will be piss poor and the cycle continues

i have no hope

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
well ya, even a slowed-down McDavid will be better when he's on the ice than off it :laugh:
he's also got the 5th worst EV goal differential in the past 21 games...including -4 in 3-on-3

Team is destroying another young core of players by refusing to give them any offensive help which leads to them pressing too hard for offence, which leads to that.

Putting all the pressure on one line to carry a team offensively is not a natural set up and it's going to yield abnormal long term results.

Todd Parchment

Apr 5, 2018
Y’all fixated on 24 year old snipers too much. We need a guy like Dustin Brown. Goal scoring vet who’s won cups and is still capable. Guys who can rally the troops, be vocal, so the right things off and on the ice and be productive. Who on our team is a vet that can lead? Not many. Neal? We need more guys like that...

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016

Incredible pressure on next summer? Can't be any more incredible than the insane pressure you've put on him to have it turned around in the first 40 games of his first year. And in time for what?McDavid leaving next year? Cause thats what you keep alluding to.

Why do you keep trying to insinuate he's wasted the whole season evaluating? Almost every post you've made in the last three days are just you saying he's wasted the whole year doing nothing ad nauseum. Even though we just turned the calendar over to a new year and have 4 months left.

Reactions: TB12

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
The assertion that Khaira and Chiasson are better than Sheahan, Haas Archibald and even Nygard is ridiculous and reeks of boxcar watching. Even that doesn’t add up. They are a few points ahead (double at most) of these players and a quick look would inform that most of these points for Khaira and Chiasson are while playing 3rd wheel in the top 6 and PP duties (Chiasson for that).

Sheahan and Archibald have really come on the past few weeks and there’s a good chance that Khaira is passed by them, Haas and Nygard in a few games. I also would not be surprised if at least 2 or 3 of them outperformed Chiasson the rest of the season. And for Sheahan, Archibald and Haas in particular this is impressive as it’s with the vast majority of their minutes in the bottom 6. (Nygard getting the “benefit” of being bounced around the entire lineup.)

Reactions: McDNicks17

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
Team is destroying another young core of players by refusing to give them any offensive help which leads to them pressing too hard for offence, which leads to that.

Putting all the pressure on one line to carry a team offensively is not a natural set up and it's going to yield abnormal long term results.
except they're not being relied upon as much

GDB 43.0: Depth Scoring A Must in 2020 (5pm MT, SNW)
The Oilers’ depth forwards have scored the 17th most goals since November first. Again, not elite, but competitive. They need to continue that, and even improve by four or five spots to eliminate some stress from the top scorers.
The bigger issue though, for this team in 2020, will be eliminating goals. They allowed the most goals in the NHL in December. That is a recipe for losing. They have to be more committed defensively.

Last edited:

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Ok, this team needs to playoffs this season or there are going to be long term problems with their star players. So, I get what you're saying, but Arizona had a major flaw (garbage at center) and that's clearly being exposed. However, they have to create interest for a fan base that is passive at best, and indifferent at worst, so they might have future support.

The Oilers need to show they aren't an also ran or of you're McDavid or Draisaitl, why do you bother.

That's exactly why the Hall trade makes sense for Arizona and not Edmonton at this point in time.
They need star power, they need a guy who can create interest in a dormant market. I also think they are closer to contending than the Oilers, they play a much more structured game that's sustainable for success. Better defense, better goaltending, harder working team.

This doesn't mean that Holland shouldn't look to bring in immediate help but he needs to be pragmatic about it. No panic moves that are only designed to help in the short term.

Reactions: North and guymez

T-Funk

Oct 15, 2006
That's exactly why the Hall trade makes sense for Arizona and not Edmonton at this point in time.
They need star power, they need a guy who can create interest in a dormant market. I also think they are closer to contending than the Oilers, they play a much more structured game that's sustainable for success. Better defense, better goaltending, harder working team.

This doesn't mean that Holland shouldn't look to bring in immediate help but he needs to be pragmatic about it. No panic moves that are only designed to help in the short term.
The Hall trade makes little sense for any wildcard teams if he will not re-sign. 3 months of Taylor hall will not fix a dormant market for more than 3 months and Arizona still has no players to go all the way.

Anarchism

John Henry
May 23, 2019
northern alberta
HOLLAND has done a wonderful job with two exceptions. His plan reflects mine pretty much so far.
He did something at the draft i wouldn't have done. He also failed to overpay for that winger in free agency.
He took a run at three at least Donskoi, Connolly and Nyquist.
Donskoi he could have paid more for.

Reactions: KYams17

Anarchism

John Henry
May 23, 2019
northern alberta
The Hall trade makes little sense for any wildcard teams if he will not re-sign. 3 months of Taylor hall will not fix a dormant market for more than 3 months and Arizona still has no players to go all the way.
Arizona would be quite happy to win a round and contest a second.....They paid the premium for Hall to get fans in the building and to grow hockey there.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario

You may underestimate the state of the Oiler fan base. Even with McDavid, this is perhaps as apathetic as I have seen it since Pocklington dismantled the dynasty. Hall is actually a very dynamic player to watch live. He has his flaws but in terms of his ability to bring you out of your seat he is one of the better players in the league. He is also a guy that still carries a lot of cache amongst more casual fans.

Ultimately, winning is the real answer to bringing back interest in the team. And I agree that panic is not the right approach. But even in the first couple of months when the team was doing well it was still pretty dead at the games I went to. The audience is sophisticated enough to know that you can't win by simply playing road hockey. But I do think that they would like to see a little pizzazz added in the mix.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
The assertion that Khaira and Chiasson are better than Sheahan, Haas Archibald and even Nygard is ridiculous and reeks of boxcar watching. Even that doesn’t add up. They are a few points ahead (double at most) of these players and a quick look would inform that most of these points for Khaira and Chiasson are while playing 3rd wheel in the top 6 and PP duties (Chiasson for that).

Sheahan and Archibald have really come on the past few weeks and there’s a good chance that Khaira is passed by them, Haas and Nygard in a few games. I also would not be surprised if at least 2 or 3 of them outperformed Chiasson the rest of the season. And for Sheahan, Archibald and Haas in particular this is impressive as it’s with the vast majority of their minutes in the bottom 6. (Nygard getting the “benefit” of being bounced around the entire lineup.)

The quickest way to improve this team is getting rid of the $3.5M of uselessness those two are.

Reactions: Oilhawks

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
You may underestimate the state of the Oiler fan base. Even with McDavid, this is perhaps as apathetic as I have seen it since Pocklington dismantled the dynasty. Hall is actually a very dynamic player to watch live. He has his flaws but in terms of his ability to bring you out of your seat he is one of the better players in the league. He is also a guy that still carries a lot of cache amongst more casual fans.

Ultimately, winning is the real answer to bringing back interest in the team. And I agree that panic is not the right approach. But even in the first couple of months when the team was doing well it was still pretty dead at the games I went to. The audience is sophisticated enough to know that you can't win by simply playing road hockey. But I do think that they would like to see a little pizzazz added in the mix.
I think what he's saying is the Oilers aren't ready for Hall style of play. We are still learning a system. Last thing we want is the Oilers going back to playing junior hockey which Hall is known for.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
This summer he gives his final ultamatum. 1 year tops. Hes gone by 2021 January if this does not improve dramatically. Heard it here. Then all these pom pom waving Oiler fanatics who trashed on Hall can then rip 97 , when the real problem is the organization and the garbage they have built around him, the dead fans at the arena and the city.

I've been saying since the middle of last season that 97 is going to demand a trade in the summer of 2021 if things aren't looking SIGNIFICANTLY better by then. I imagine he hasn't made this known yet, otherwise Holland wouldn't be sitting on his hands right now, and middling prospects like Bouchard and Broberg would be on the market, as well as our 1st rounder this and next year. One would think McDavid would give the team a heads up this off-season though, so we might see some desperation trades by Holland this upcoming summer.

I have no inside sources at all, this is just my own speculation and guesses.

Ck1

Feb 10, 2018
Edmonton
People complaining about our bottom 6 being trash but last years bottom 6 was trash also. People complaining about Holland not improving our bottom 6 from last year when he had 0 cap space to work with. What Holland did was the only thing he could do which was bring in low budget players for the bottom 6 and hope they gelled and played better then last years. And imo Holland did improve the bottom 6 over last year he Also brought in players to improve our pk over last year. Holland obviously still has lots of work to do bringing in a 2lw a 3c and a decent back up but those are bigger moves that will take a little more time.

Todd Parchment

Apr 5, 2018
Holland could have traded for.....

Niskanen
Miller
Soderberg
Haula
Burakovsky
Brown
Kadri
Barrie
Gusev
Namestnikov
Fabbri
Stephenson
Hall

And probably made a trade for someone who hasn’t been traded for yet. Just calling up yamatomo and other plugs. The new Talbellini.

can we get Lowe back as GM yet.... honestly. He was our best GM since and after Lather......

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad