Rumor: Rumors and Proposals Thread: "We Have a Lot of Crap to Figure Out"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
Ryan Nugent-Hopkins is pretty much making what he's going to make. His next deal will fall around $7-7.5m considering the guy who just scored 50 is making just $1m more.

Draisaitl will be the guy who keeps a lot of future RFAs in a sustainable range.
Ehh I doubt it. Marner, Point, Tkachuk, Rantanen will have more of an impact on upcoming RFA's. They probably get more than Draisaitl.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
I also think adding a 3rd line center might be more difficult to do than adding a 2nd line winger type. You look at the UFA market and it's basically Duchene, Hayes, and a big drop off to a guy like Brassard. Those guys are going to get paid, we can't afford it. There are way more options in UFA for wingers. It's more likely we could trade for a winger than a 3rd line center. Even more reason to try to go with the 3C approach.
I think the 3C is addressed in a cap for cap deal. The talk of shopping Lucic, Sekera and Russell isn't about gaining futures. We're talking some less than favorable salary back. Might as well put it to work.

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Ehh I doubt it. Marner, Point, Tkachuk, Rantanen will have more of an impact on upcoming RFA's. They probably get more than Draisaitl.
As mentioned when the Draisaitl deal was signed, the internal comparables will always outweigh the ones outside the organization. Draisaitl got his $8.5m because of RNH's contact. That Draisaitl deal will drive his price down considerably. RNH is also going to be a UFA, so if he intends on staying in Edmonton, I'd probably expect an extension signed next summer, unless they're waiting until after the expansion draft.

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
As mentioned when the Draisaitl deal was signed, the internal comparables will always outweigh the ones outside the organization. Draisaitl got his $8.5m because of RNH's contact. That Draisaitl deal will drive his price down considerably. RNH is also going to be a UFA, so if he intends on staying in Edmonton, I'd probably expect an extension signed next summer, unless they're waiting until after the expansion draft.
I guess we'll see what Duchene and Hayes get. I think he probably falls somewhere in between them.

Macblender

May 5, 2014
Ryan Nugent-Hopkins is pretty much making what he's going to make. His next deal will fall around $7-7.5m considering the guy who just scored 50 is making just $1m more.

Draisaitl will be the guy who keeps a lot of future RFAs in a sustainable range.
Yeah my point is that when looking at where contracts are these days and the guys who are up in the next two seasons Nuge is very like worth his deal. I dont get the argument he is some expendable piece who isnt useful that is made by some.

Macblender

May 5, 2014
As previously mentioned in this thread he realistically is resigning in Edmonton with a wife from Red Deer and having lived the past 10 years in the Edmonton area (including Red Deer in this) he is probably fairly comfortable and the only thing that seemed to irk him in his year end press conference was that he literally has a rotating carousel of bums on his wings.

I do agree he gets much less than Drai and I could see him in the 7-7.5M range as well.

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
I wonder what we'd have to add to Milan Lucic to get Alex Wennberg if we offered to buy out Dubinsky's contact for them this summer. The deal would be very beneficial for them financially, especially this off-season when it's likely they'll be big players in free agency with the likelihood they're losing both Artemi Panarin and Sergei Bobrovsky.

It would essentially make Wennberg a $6.8m player to us, but at just 24 there's a good chance we could rebuild his game and either trade him for a better return, hope he gets taken in the expansion draft or simply keep him.

They'll hate it because it's Lucic and we'll hate it because there's no cap relief, but ultimately the money's going somewhere better.

Oct 15, 2017
Do whateverwto clear contracts out. Make them dissapear ie brodz and Gagne l get JP going by surrounding him with legit good Finns that would vastly Improve our team by playing hard and get some good solid NHL players not ahl/NHL tweeners. Yes kassian has had a good year but I want more skill in top 6 and bottom 6 so him playing lower would benefit entire team, have him and Donskoi swap. Haven't crunched numbers just spit balling here.

Drai -McDavid -Kapanen
Connolly -Nuge-Pulijarvi
Gambro - Nash - Donskoi
Lucic/Khaira - Cave - Kassian

Try and get 1 puck moving defenseman who can pass till AHL guys are completely ready. I would go for Edmonton boy Jared Spurgeon.

To Edmonton : Jared Spurgeon and 2019 1st round pick (12th) use thAt pick to draft Caulfield or whatever high IQ fwd left.

To Minnesota : Adam Larsson , 2019 1st round pick (8th) , 2020 3rd

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
What do you guys think about trading down multiple times? For example:

EDM 1st (8th) + Manning for MIN 1st (14th) + Zucker

Then

MIN 1st (14th) for LAK 1st (originally TOR, ~ 20th) + Toffoli

Drai - McDavid - Kassian
Zucker - Nuge - Toffoli

..is a great top-6 and we still have a 1st around 20 to pick up someone like Caufield, Lavoie, or Tomasino.

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
What do you guys think about trading down multiple times? For example:

EDM 1st (8th) + Manning for MIN 1st (14th) + Zucker

Then

MIN 1st (14th) for LAK 1st (originally TOR, ~ 20th) + Toffoli

Drai - McDavid - Kassian
Zucker - Nuge - Toffoli

..is a great top-6 and we still have a 1st around 20 to pick up someone like Caufield, Lavoie, or Tomasino.
You don't think LA is going to trade you Toffoli to move 6 spots at the mid point of the first round. Goodluck with that.

Sorry I thought this was on the main board, mod delete this post please.

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
You don't think LA is going to trade you Toffoli to move 6 spots at the mid point of the first round. Goodluck with that.

Sorry I thought this was on the main board, mod delete this post please.
The Oilers can add. It wasn't about the value, just the idea of trading down multiple times.

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
The Oilers can add. It wasn't about the value, just the idea of trading down multiple times.

It's all good bro, I seen the link on the main page and assumed this was the main board. I would have never knowingly entered a teams board to argue against their fans proposals. My apologies.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Coyle and Zucker aren't even remotely comparable. Zucker is twice the player Coyle is.
Coyle was the better player 2yrs ago when he played a full season last.

BOS would trade him because he didn't give them what they wanted..Only had 2 goals for them in 20+ games.

Macblender

May 5, 2014
Coyle was the better player 2yrs ago when he played a full season last.

BOS would trade him because he didn't give them what they wanted..Only had 2 goals for them in 20+ games.
Sure I would say it depends on price as they would probably want a 2nd + for him I would guess.

If you could do the Benning for Connor Brown deal and add Ebs or Donskoi at around 3.75 - 4.25M our forward group would look a lot better going into next year and we wouldnt need to move out any salary really.

Then you go all in on moving Lucic (after July 1 2020 signing bonus) and Russell after the end of next season and go all in on a top line winger or a top pairing D in FA the following year (e.i. Hall, Pietrangelo, Granlund, Spurgeon).

By then we hopefully have 2 of Benson, Marody, Puljujarvi, and Yamo as third line staples with 2 of Bouchard, Jones, Bear, Lagesson etc on the roster for cheap D. So viable option.

Last edited:

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
Sending Lucic to Carolina while attaching him to Nuge would be a smart move imo.

Nuge + Lucic for Hamilton + Wallmark

Mcdavid/Drai/Wallmark are our top 3 centers and we open up 6.25m in cap space and that along with some departures allow us to sign some wingers in FA.

We could then trade down for Zucker + the Minnesota pick and attach Manning

Zucker - Mcdavid - Panik
Benson - Drai - Connolly
Gagner - Wallmark - Marody
Khaira - Brodziak - Kassian

Klefbom - Hamilton
Nurse - Larsson
Jones - Russel

That is a playoff team next year

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Sending Lucic to Carolina while attaching him to Nuge would be a smart move imo.

Nuge + Lucic for Hamilton + Wallmark

Mcdavid/Drai/Wallmark are our top 3 centers and we open up 6.25m in cap space and that along with some departures allow us to sign some wingers in FA.

We could then trade down for Zucker + the Minnesota pick and attach Manning

Zucker - Mcdavid - Panik
Benson - Drai - Connolly
Gagner - Wallmark - Marody
Khaira - Brodziak - Kassian

Klefbom - Hamilton
Nurse - Larsson
Jones - Russel

That is a playoff team next year
I like the idea but no way Carolina does that. No way in the world. That's not enough to get Hamilton alone

Bobblehead

Sep 30, 2006
Moving Larson leaves Benning as our #1 right shot defensemen. Another Lottery team.

That wouldn't be the plan. I would only move Larsson out after I found a top pairing #1 guy....say Jared Spurgeon signed to an extension. In fact, I'd want to revamp the whole right side. Bring in at least 2 new guys and try one of the young guys Bear, Persson or Bouchard in the bottom pair .... move out Larsson, Benning & Russel. If I can't find a better puck mover for first and second pairing, then I don't part with Larsson (yet).

Reactions: Louis Cypher

Macblender

May 5, 2014
I like the idea but no way Carolina does that. No way in the world. That's not enough to get Hamilton alone
Agreed.

I still like the two year plan but give yourself a shot at the playoffs.

2nd 2019 + for Coyle
Benning for Brown
Sign Ebs 3 x 4.25M
Backup Goalie 1 yr x 1.25M

Drai - McDavid - Kassian
Brown - Nuge - Ebs
Khaira - Coyle - Pulju
Lucic - Brodziak - Gagner
Cave

Klef - Larsson
Nurse - Sekera
Jones - Russell
Lagesson

If you go back a few pages this fits just under the cap.

Year 2:
Russell for Pick
Lucic + 2021 1st for a later pick after his signing bonus is paid so his salary in the year is only 1M for the team acquiring.
Sekera + 2020 2nd for a 4th line player (xxx below - think Matthew Peca type)

Resign Nurse 5 x 5M
Sign Spurgeon 6 x 6.25M
Sign Hall at 10.5M or Granlund at 7.5M
Do not resign Brown but resign Coyle at 4M

Drai - McDavid - Ebs
Hall/Granlund -Nuge - Yamamoto
Benson - Coyle - Pulju
XXX - Khaira - Marody
XXX

Klefbom - Spurgeon
Nurse - Bouchard
Jones - Larsson
Lagesson

Koskinen
Starrett

Goaltending is still shit but pending the cap goes up 2M after next season to 85M we would have approximately 2M in cap space if we went after Hall and 5M if it was Granlund. In the following year we could bring our 8th overall pick into the fold and potentially a D prospect like Samaroukov into the fold.

We have so many D prospects that realistically we could have the assets to land another solid top 6 forward or a good goalie in the future.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 14 6 1

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
The Sens only have the Jackets' 1st, so maybe there's a spot to make some roster changes and free themselves of some contracts

To OTT: 8th overall, Lucic, Puljujarvi, Brodziak and Russell

To EDM: Jackets' 1st, Ryan($1.5M Retainted), Pageau and Nick Paul

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
The Sens only have the Jackets' 1st, so maybe there's a spot to make some roster changes and free themselves of some contracts

To OTT: 8th overall, Lucic, Puljujarvi, Brodziak and Russell

To EDM: Jackets' 1st, Ryan($1.5M Retainted), Pageau and Nick Paul
That is a very large amount of junk for the Sens to take on.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Sens could potentially land LaFreniere with their 2020 pick or Columbus' 2020 pick next year when Duchene, Dzingel, Panarin and Bob walks

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
Sens could potentially land LaFreniere with their 2020 pick or Columbus' 2020 pick next year when Duchene, Dzingel, Panarin and Bob walks
Isn’t that2020 pick lottery protected for CBj?

Plus Columbus still would have Werenski, Jones, Dubois, Atkinson.. they’re not a bottom 10 team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad