Rumor: Rumors and Proposals Thread: "We Have a Lot of Crap to Figure Out"

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
This is probably a pipe dream, but remember how I’ve been saying we should have went for Domi as a buy low candidate last year? This off season that candidate might be his teammate Droin, sounds like he’s been floundering in Montreal. All the skill and talent in the world, enough to be an impact player in this league, but for whatever reason isn’t hitting his potential in Montreal. I doubt he’ll be as low of a buy as a “buy low” candidate usually is, but I’d pay up for him and we’ll look like geniuses once him and McDavid or Drai start tearing it up.

Pulju + 2nd + 3rd.

It’ll be worth it.

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
This is probably a pipe dream, but remember how I’ve been saying we should have went for Domi as a buy low candidate last year? This off season that candidate might be his teammate Droin, sounds like he’s been floundering in Montreal. All the skill and talent in the world, enough to be an impact player in this league, but for whatever reason isn’t hitting his potential in Montreal. I doubt he’ll be as low of a buy as a “buy low” candidate usually is, but I’d pay up for him and we’ll look like geniuses once him and McDavid or Drai start tearing it up.

Pulju + 2nd + 3rd.

It’ll be worth it.

Domi wasn't a buy low player. He was traded for a 30 goal scorer. The Oilers didn't have a piece to offer other than Nuge, and his cap would have been questionable

Drouin is not what the Oil need. We traded Ebs already

Reactions: Perfect_Drug

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Domi wasn't a buy low player. He was traded for a 30 goal scorer. The Oilers didn't have a piece to offer other than Nuge, and his cap would have been questionable

Arguably a package of Pulju (before this disappointing season) plus an add could have enticed a rebuilding Coyotes team more than Galchenyuk. Buy low as in in lower than that players actual value which is where Domi was able to be had. Oh and he wasn’t traded for a 30 goal scorer, he was traded for a former 30 goal scorer that was struggling to prove he could be a top 6 center.

This team needs speed and skill badly, especially on the wings. Drouin has more of those traits than Eberle does.

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
Arguably a package of Pulju (before this disappointing season) plus an add could have enticed a rebuilding Coyotes team more than Galchenyuk. Buy low as in in lower than that players actual value which is where Domi was able to be had. Oh and he wasn’t traded for a 30 goal scorer, he was traded for a former 30 goal scorer that was struggling to prove he could be a top 6 center.

This team needs speed and skill badly, especially on the wings. Drouin has more of those traits than Eberle does.

Nope. Totally disagree. 100% , Totally false

ARZ was looking to upgrade. They were looking for a player to play w/ Kellar or Stepan

In no way shape or form were they looking towards JP to step in and replace Domi's previous contributions

They traded for Galy's 30 goals. End of story

Arz looked towards an upgrade. Any proposal involving JP is just plain hope and a prayer. That trade was dissected for what it was

You also nailed it. They traded for another center. JP would have NEVER brought back Domi

Last edited:
Reactions: Jakey53

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Nope. Totally disagree. 100% , Totally false

ARZ was looking to upgrade. They were looking for a player to play w/ Kellar or Stepan

In no way shape or form were they looking towards JP to step in and replace Domi's previous contributions

They traded for Galy's 30 goals. End of story

Arz looked towards an upgrade. Any proposal involving JP is just plain hope and a prayer. That trade was dissected for what it was

You think they traded for Gallys 30 goals he had 3 seasons ago? Not the less than 20 he had in he 2 seasons since and that he’s having currently on the Coyotes.

When Gally was traded, he did not have the value of a 30 goal scorer, and Domi coming of a horrible year where people were questioning if he was a bust did not have the value to fetch a 30 goal scorer.

It was 2 low value players being traded for each other in a change of scenery type trade is what it was.

And a former 3rd overall who’s barely old enough to make a dent in this league in Pulju could arguably be seen as having similar or even higher value than either at the time. And if not, add something to Pulju to really put the value over the top to get Domi would have been a smart move.

slaman

McOilers Fan
Oct 22, 2010
Toronto
After hearing McDavids comments, the reality of him requesting a trade grows. I personally believe this is the last season we have to fix this before a trade request comes :(

Reactions: mouz135

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
After hearing McDavids comments, the reality of him requesting a trade grows. I personally believe this is the last season we have to fix this before a trade request comes :(
Okay he requests a trade and then what? He has a contract, even if he wants out doesn't mean he is auto gone

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
You're expecting the org to not trade him and throw him under the bus afterwards?
Why would they throw him under the bus?

I expect if McDavid asked for a trade they would say "cool, we will look for the right deal". And only trade him if blown away. He has a long contract, he could also change his mind.

Ps: I do not see him actually asking for a trade or he flip flops fast. He signed his contract LONG TERM to be here. Not so he can run in 3 years. He has more character than that, and it's a shame a bunch of us think less of him that he is willing to bail on the team.

Macblender

May 5, 2014
Re-posting this as it got lost in a posting match whether or not McDavid requesting a trade. Especially if that is true I honestly think we can turn it around. Well depending on how realistic these trades/signings are.

Just as the thread is a little on the gloomy side how about some proposals haha.

Big turnaround summer:

Deal 1
Pageau (37 GP 11 p this season) 3.1M Cap hit and 3.4M in actual Salary
for
Puljujarvi + Lucic (after signing bonus) 6M cap hit 4M in actual salary + NYI 3rd Round pick

Deal 2
Russell
to Colorado for
3rd Round Draft Pick

Why: They were talking about moving Zadorov and there has perpetually been rumors about Barrie. Realistically this deal is potentially possible with a number of teams.

Deal 3
Benning
for
Brown

Deal 4
Yamamoto + 2019 2nd (38th overall) + 2020 2nd
for
JT Miller

Signings:
Pirri 2 x 850k (one way)
Paajarvi 3 x 1M
Chiasson 3 x 1.35M (he has interviewed saying he just wants to settle somewhere so offer term for cheap price as he is a decent 3rd liner)
Tyler Myers 5 x 6.5M
Kiselevich 2 x 1.1M
McElhinney 3 x 1.5M

upload_2019-4-4_19-43-1-png.208989

Tell me I am crazy but I honestly think all of the deals are possible maybe with some tweaking and all of the signings are reasonable on guys who I think will fill useful depth roles or a solid top 4 role for Myers. Also have a little bit of cap room if any of those guys need too much more e.i add 100-300k to the Myers or Chiasson deal. Or as an alternative look at Gardiner.

Leaves us a little cap space in the coming year with Kassian, Brodziak, Pageau, Gagner, Manning, and Gryba (9.65M total) coming off the cap and Benson, Marody, 2019 1st pick, Bear, Bouchard, etc an extra year seasoned pushing for bottom pairing and bottom 6 slots. Realistically in that situation we can take on an ELC or 2 and spend a lot of that on a solid winger (Hall with some maneuvering) or a solid D (offersheet Chabot....).

Anyways a guy can dream but I think that is close to or is a playoff team pending our goalies can play their position at around a .910 save percentage range.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC

Stop, this is ridiculous. I get why some would feel this way but come on.
All McDavid said was that he was frustrated with missing the playoffs, really really frustrated as most people would say in this situation. People took these generic comments and went nuts with them.

The only reason why this is even a story at all is because McDavid never says anything worthwhile to the media so he displays a little honesty for a change and it becomes a national story.
Hell, Hall showed even more frustration in his final exit presser with the "It's hard to see the light at the end of the tunnel, I'm not gonna lie" comments yet he was devastated by many accounts when he was traded, didn't want to leave after 6 years of missing playoffs and he's just as competitive as McDavid.

If anybody knows anything about McDavid, they would know that he's not the type of person to bail on a situation because of some bumps in the road, that he wants to be part of a solution going forward. I do think there is a danger of him considering other options in about 2 years if this continues but no way (zero chance) that he is going to bail already only 2 years after committing 8 years. No way.
This is a high character guy, he's going to want to see it through for better or in this case, worse.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Trading Yamamoto for Miller could be the worst thing I've seen on this board in a while.

A massively declining and expensive camp dump for a top prospect +, yikes.

Reactions: space321

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
You seem more and more like you're getting done with this team, might want to explore that more then these silly narratives you're creating in your self pity.

Macblender

May 5, 2014
Trading Yamamoto for Miller could be the worst thing I've seen on this board in a while.

A massively declining and expensive camp dump for a top prospect +, yikes.
Sure he hasnt had the best season and if you could get him cheaper still potentially worth it. The guy had close to 60 points each of the previous two years and we currently have nothing like that on our roster. We have to realize we arent getting a perfect player and none of our prospects are really projecting out to much more than 40 point players.

Second, Miller is 26 years old and as far as I can tell the going rate for players who put up the number of points he has the past couple seasons in mid 5M range so seems like the contract is fair pending he gets back to the 50-60 point range after this down season.

Yamamoto in my opinion is highly unlikely to ever get to the level of JT Miller but I guess that is up for debate.

But sure lets say you go:
Yamo + 2020 1st for Ehlers

Or some variation of that instead and you cans till fit that under the cap in the situation outlined above.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Why would they throw him under the bus?

I expect if McDavid asked for a trade they would say "cool, we will look for the right deal". And only trade him if blown away. He has a long contract, he could also change his mind.

Ps: I do not see him actually asking for a trade or he flip flops fast. He signed his contract LONG TERM to be here. Not so he can run in 3 years. He has more character than that, and it's a shame a bunch of us think less of him that he is willing to bail on the team.
Lol this org throws every player under the bus.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Sure he hasnt had the best season and if you could get him cheaper still potentially worth it. The guy had close to 60 points each of the previous two years and we currently have nothing like that on our roster. We have to realize we arent getting a perfect player and none of our prospects are really projecting out to much more than 40 point players.

Second, Miller is 26 years old and as far as I can tell the going rate for players who put up the number of points he has the past couple seasons in mid 5M range so seems like the contract is fair pending he gets back to the 50-60 point range after this down season.

Yamamoto in my opinion is highly unlikely to ever get to the level of JT Miller but I guess that is up for debate.

But sure lets say you go:
Yamo + 2020 1st for Ehlers

Or some variation of that instead and you cans till fit that under the cap in the situation outlined above.
I mean the whole think you came up with seems to be get these old guys I know of and I'm sure that will work, Pirri isn't an NHL regular, I would rather the Oilers have their own young players then sign MPS and I'm pretty lukewarm on Kiselevich, again rather to see the younger Oilers' players get opportunities.

I don't mind the deal for Brown, but he's not displacing Kassian and Pageau would be great add.

The Oilers need to stop giving away everything for marginal things.

Macblender

May 5, 2014
I mean the whole think you came up with seems to be get these old guys I know of and I'm sure that will work, Pirri isn't an NHL regular, I would rather the Oilers have their own young players then sign MPS and I'm pretty lukewarm on Kiselevich, again rather to see the younger Oilers' players get opportunities.

I don't mind the deal for Brown, but he's not displacing Kassian and Pageau would be great add.

The Oilers need to stop giving away everything for marginal things.
I hear you on this. The issue is we need to stop thinking we are smarter than every other team and gunning for these huge maybes.

What I am arguing is adding:
Miller - who lets say is only a 50 point forward next year and maybe you can get a bit cheaper (Nuge plays with zero of those)
Myers - 30 point d who is decent in his own zone - upgrade on Russell)
Brown - my lineup he doesnt need to displace Kassian play him with Nuge if that is a qualm and we have a decent second line).
Pirri - Lethal shot and literally would help provide more offence on the third line which we desparately need.
MPS - great on the PK and can chip in 20-25 points a year while on a lower line (we dont have a player who can do this). Secondly I do not see any of our younger guys jumping onto the PK and being defensively responsible while they also shouldnt be in the NHL if they cant crack the 3rd line.
Kiselevich - mediocre guy to come in as the 7D who can jump up to 6D if Jones starts struggling and needs a reset.
Pageau - Solid 3c

Overall I do not want to see our younger players get there shot without absolutely earning it. Let them dominate the AHL and dont bring them into this culture. If we are able to overseason our guys and have them push for spots after next year we can have some guys really force the issue for a limited number of spots while not banking on these 20 year old players to make all the difference. In this scenario we get two guys who play winger in a top 6 while currently we have maybe 1 if you exclude Drai. If you noticed we have a ton of players with contracts coming up after next year which is the time to look at signing some of the better depth players giving a young guy or two a shot and this would allow the cap space to try and sign or trade for another top 6 winger or another top 4 D.

What I gave away I would not consider everything:
Russell - Too much salary for a guy who cant move the puck and relies on his parter to do that which allows other teams to focus on the partner and ends in many turnovers.
Lucic - thank god
Yamo - I only see him as a 40 point player at best but I am very low on him so I can see why people dont like this one.
Pulju - he just had double hip surgery and while he may turn into a solid 3rd liner I think if we ca use him as the piece to help move Lucic you do it every day.
Benning - If you sign a RD this offseason he is extremely expendable and is Jekyl and Hyde I dont mind moving him for forward depth at all. Not a big piece for our organization.
Picks (2nd 2019/2020, 3rd NYI 2019) - none of these make or break our org and we keep our top 10 pick this year which people have been lobbying to trade which only makes sense in very specific situtations I would say.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
Lucic is not waiving to go from one tire fire to another.

Look at the sunbelt teams for him to wind up. I can see him being a Panther next season.

Weitz

Sep 23, 2014
Re-posting this as it got lost in a posting match whether or not McDavid requesting a trade. Especially if that is true I honestly think we can turn it around. Well depending on how realistic these trades/signings are.

Just as the thread is a little on the gloomy side how about some proposals haha.

Big turnaround summer:

Deal 1
Pageau (37 GP 11 p this season) 3.1M Cap hit and 3.4M in actual Salary
for
Puljujarvi + Lucic (after signing bonus) 6M cap hit 4M in actual salary + NYI 3rd Round pick

Deal 2
Russell
to Colorado for
3rd Round Draft Pick

Why: They were talking about moving Zadorov and there has perpetually been rumors about Barrie. Realistically this deal is potentially possible with a number of teams.

Deal 3
Benning
for
Brown

Deal 4
Yamamoto + 2019 2nd (38th overall) + 2020 2nd
for
JT Miller

Signings:
Pirri 2 x 850k (one way)
Paajarvi 3 x 1M
Chiasson 3 x 1.35M (he has interviewed saying he just wants to settle somewhere so offer term for cheap price as he is a decent 3rd liner)
Tyler Myers 5 x 6.5M
Kiselevich 2 x 1.1M
McElhinney 3 x 1.5M

Tell me I am crazy but I honestly think all of the deals are possible maybe with some tweaking and all of the signings are reasonable on guys who I think will fill useful depth roles or a solid top 4 role for Myers. Also have a little bit of cap room if any of those guys need too much more e.i add 100-300k to the Myers or Chiasson deal. Or as an alternative look at Gardiner.

Leaves us a little cap space in the coming year with Kassian, Brodziak, Pageau, Gagner, Manning, and Gryba (9.65M total) coming off the cap and Benson, Marody, 2019 1st pick, Bear, Bouchard, etc an extra year seasoned pushing for bottom pairing and bottom 6 slots. Realistically in that situation we can take on an ELC or 2 and spend a lot of that on a solid winger (Hall with some maneuvering) or a solid D (offersheet Chabot....).

Anyways a guy can dream but I think that is close to or is a playoff team pending our goalies can play their position at around a .910 save percentage range.

I wouldn't expect playoffs with that Defence and goalie.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006

And we've been looking for a replacement ever since.

Beggars can't be choosers.

Reactions: space321

Macblender

May 5, 2014
I wouldn't expect playoffs with that Defence and goalie.
I would argue the defence is slighly better than this year with the Russell to Myers move. The goalie is the same quality that we currently have just we have a better back up who can play a third to half the season.

We pick up probably 30-40 goals from people not named Connor, Leon, or Nuge. This is huge for the team as we now have more secondary scoring which gives us a shot when those guys are putting up 3 points in a game.

Realistically I made a lot of moves in that scenario and do we need more for sure. But cap space etc limits how much we can do and I think that team is enough of a bubble team that it signals we are going to ensure we get there in the following season when we have 9.65M in contracts off the books (only Nurse needs to be resigned so subtract 2M in space gives him a 5.2M contract). Say the cap goes up 2M and we have have 2 ELCs make the team. We then have some money to spend on a top 6 forward, D or goalie (more if we can move Koskinen or he goes back to the K).

Macblender

May 5, 2014
Lucic is not waiving to go from one tire fire to another.

Look at the sunbelt teams for him to wind up. I can see him being a Panther next season.
Lucic is sassing Sportsnet over tweets about how bad he plays I think he is fine going absolutely anywhere where expectations arent him being a 60 point player who fights. Ottawa is such a tire fire the spotlight isnt on him but ownership.

Pass the Saitl Sauce

Apr 30, 2015
Remember the pronger fiasco? Kevin Lowe said he would just sit him instead of trading him hindsight 20/20. Now do you remember who still runs this team? Mcdavid isn’t being traded.

Reactions: North
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad