Rumor: Rumors and Proposals Thread: "We Have a Lot of Crap to Figure Out"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wewillrise

Jul 25, 2015
This team needs to get some PK help on the wings and bottom 6. Two years at the bottom of the league in PK% is reminiscent of Winnipeg before they came out storming last season. I know Goaltending is the biggest part of the PK but that’s not an easy fix.

As far as UFAs go any names stand out?
Any other players they should target? Berglund?

Does Brock Nelson PK? Im surprised he hasn’t been signed yet

Macblender

May 5, 2014
This team needs to get some PK help on the wings and bottom 6.

As far as UFAs go any names stand out?
Any other players they should target? Berglund?

Does Brock Nelson PK? Im surprised he hasn’t been signed yet
I think Kassian, Brodziak, and Nuge are locks for the PK next year. We really only need one more guy to step up and be able to slot in if we are adamant that Drai and McDavid shouldnt be out for it in order to keep their minutes down.

Berglund is done in the NHL.

Lastly, IMO if we get some top 6 wingers it pushes our other wingers down and therefore strengthens our top 6 so I think that is where our emphasis should be. I think we realistically dont have that many FA options with Donskoi, Ebs, Connolly, Colin Wilson, Vanek, and Panik being the more realistic ones.

Based on how much the top end guys will get and our cap situation we should target a higher end guy through trade being:
Ehlers (6M cap)
JT Miller (5.25M cap)
Zucker (5.5M cap)

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Instead of Zucker we should target Coyle.
He will be much cheaper to acquire and may be just as good

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
I think I'd prefer Coyle.

Likely cheaper to get, cheaper in salary and I think #3C is more of a need than LW right now.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
I don't get the interest in Zucker. He's expensive, has term left and would cost a fair amount to acquire. Why wouldn't you just sign Eberle or Zuccarello in free agency?

ConnorMcNugesaitl

Sep 23, 2012
I don't get the interest in Zucker. He's expensive, has term left and would cost a fair amount to acquire. Why wouldn't you just sign Eberle or Zuccarello in free agency?

I'd dig an Ebs reunion if he's interested and affordable

Nuge /FA - McDavid - Eberle / Yamamoto / JP?

FA/Nuge/ Benson (long shot ) /Khaira - Drai - Eberle / Yamamoto / JP?

Leaves a lot of room for flexibility but I think Eberle means Drai can be center plus Eberle could work with Nuge at center.

I think Eberle had a really strong stretch with McDavid and Pouliot in Connors first year too.

Reactions: Macblender

Macblender

May 5, 2014
I think I'd prefer Coyle.

Likely cheaper to get, cheaper in salary and I think #3C is more of a need than LW right now.
What do you think it takes? I just looked and noticed when they resign Carlo and McAvoy they are likely at or close to the cap. They could still fit his contract pretty easily though so not really a huge incentive to move him.

If we could swing that and Benning for Connor Brown. Then maybe sign Donskoi/Ebs to bring a little more offence to the 2nd line and we look a bit better at least.

I would assume he costs around a 2nd (39th OA) + Maksimov or something like that.
upload_2019-4-11_18-13-1.png

Ideally we would be able to rid ourselves of the Lucic or Russell contracts but those are probably easier to move next offseason. But should be be able to move even Russell for picks we could look at signing a stop gap D on a one year in order to ensure we are bringing to many rookies into the D core next year (e.i. Engelland, Girardi) and resign Chiasson for the 3rd line bumping Gagner or Lucic to the press box.

Lots of cap space would then open the following year especially if we move Russell as we have Gagner, Gryba, Kassian, Manning, and Brodziak coming up with only really Nurse to resign and another ELC joining the D core and maybe Benson and Yamamoto in the forward group.

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
I'd dig an Ebs reunion if he's interested and affordable

Nuge /FA - McDavid - Eberle / Yamamoto / JP?

FA/Nuge/ Benson (long shot ) /Khaira - Drai - Eberle / Yamamoto / JP?

Leaves a lot of room for flexibility but I think Eberle means Drai can be center plus Eberle could work with Nuge at center.

I think Eberle had a really strong stretch with McDavid and Pouliot in Connors first year too.
I also don't get where Draisaitl at center became a thing. He just scored 50 on McDavid's wing, while RNH put up 70 points centering the second line. I go into next season knowing this much...

XXXX - McDavid - Draisaitl
XXXX - Nuge - XXXX

Oct 15, 2017
Go out on a limb and take Caufield that's the future McDavid winger. Pure shooter. Oilers lack i like trading down idea for it. I would like Zucker or Spurgeon. Both have been there with limited team success, either would be awesome. Spurgeon is an Edmonton kid too

To Minnesota: Larsson and 8th overall pick

To Edmonton: Zucker or Spurgeon and 12th (use on Caulfield or other shooter) address winger or puck moving d depth for now till kids in AHL ready.

ConnorMcNugesaitl

Sep 23, 2012
I also don't get where Draisaitl at center became a thing. He just scored 50 on McDavid's wing, while RNH put up 70 points centering the second line. I go into next season knowing this much...

XXXX - Nuge - XXXX

Ideally you'd be deep enough for all 3 to play center since with pp and pk they'll still get their ice time.

I think you want to see if Drai can propel a 2nd line better than Nuge can but the flexibility is good and he'll still play with McDavid at times.

You may even be better off with Nuge and Drai as your 2nd line depending on who clicks with Connor.

I wouldn't ignore the success of McDavid and Drai but I wouldn't build my team this summer married to the idea they should play together. Too much danger of another year of a 1 line team.

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Ideally you'd be deep enough for all 3 to play center since with pp and pk they'll still get their ice time.

I think you want to see if Drai can propel a 2nd line better than Nuge can but the flexibility is good and he'll still play with McDavid at times.

You may even be better off with Nuge and Drai as your 2nd line depending on who clicks with Connor.

I wouldn't ignore the success of McDavid and Drai but I wouldn't build my team this summer married to the idea they should play together. Too much danger of another year of a 1 line team.
I don't really think that it's ideal at all when you consider the wing depth as it is. Doing that stretches us paper thin and throws who I assume would be our upward trending Bakersfield prospects into situations where they're expected to score at a similar rate in the NHL.

RNH and Drai could work, but I just question why you'd mess with a good thing.

Odds are this summer's shopping list includes two top six capable wingers and a good quality 3C. Anything more than that would be surprising the way things stand today.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
I think it would be smart to start thinking about moving Ryan Nugent-Hopkins within the next 18 months. I would almost put money on him signing elsewhere as a UFA. I'm sure he has had enough of this tire fire organization, even if they start showing some improvement.

I been saying for a while that the Oilers will draft a centre and he will take RNH place . RNH will be moved this year or next year . He is going to want a raise and he isn=t worth it . Plus you may be right on him wanting to move on .

ConnorMcNugesaitl

Sep 23, 2012
I don't really think that it's ideal at all when you consider the wing depth as it is. Doing that stretches us paper thin and throws who I assume would be our upward trending Bakersfield prospects into situations where they're expected to score at a similar rate in the NHL.

RNH and Drai could work, but I just question why you'd mess with a good thing.

Odds are this summer's shopping list includes two top six capable wingers and a good quality 3C. Anything more than that would be surprising the way things stand today.

That's why it's an ideal scenario not one they'll likely be able to run with.

Not sure what they'll actually be able to accomplish given their cap situation. Free agent market looks a little thin for 3c types so that might require a trade.

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008

XXXX - Nuge - XXXX
If the Oilers had good enough wingers to put them on 3 different lines we would be a very good team. Depends on what can be done this summer.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
Go out on a limb and take Caufield that's the future McDavid winger. Pure shooter. Oilers lack i like trading down idea for it. I would like Zucker or Spurgeon. Both have been there with limited team success, either would be awesome. Spurgeon is an Edmonton kid too

To Minnesota: Larsson and 8th overall pick

To Edmonton: Zucker or Spurgeon and 12th (use on Caulfield or other shooter) address winger or puck moving d depth for now till kids in AHL ready.

In a NYR thread a fan of theirs offer this deal

To Edmonton Shattenkirk + Tampa 1st or NYR 2nd to the NYR Lucic at 25% retained + Edmonton 1st in 2020 unprotected . I would probably do it . We could always flip Shattenkirk if he doesn't want to be here

Macblender

May 5, 2014
I been saying for a while that the Oilers will draft a centre and he will take RNH place . RNH will be moved this year or next year . He is going to want a raise and he isn=t worth it . Plus you may be right on him wanting to move on .

I am genuinely curious what value you attribute to Nuge in terms of dollar value? He played with absolute scrubs at even strength so it is not like he had the supporting casts of the guys below. Nuge is about mid range on this list in terms of age and of those clustered around 70 points he is fairly reasonably priced especially considering Duchene will get a pay raise this year going to ~8.5 - 10 M. Barzal, Pettersson, Dubois, Domi, and Matthews are soon to be at deals at a level much higher than Nuge although they likely have a higher top end or similar in terms of Domi (I expect some regression) and Dubois. Realistically he is producing at market value at worst and I would even argue after the coming season pending similar production Market value is around 7M since it seems you get paid about 1M for every 10 points.

Note the picture below is not fully updated as Capfriendly has not added the final game of the season which brought Nuge to 69 points. If you look at the NHL.com list not much changed for the other players so the point is still valid.

upload_2019-4-11_20-10-50.png

Reactions: belair

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
If the Oilers had good enough wingers to put them on 3 different lines we would be a very good team. Depends on what can be done this summer.

yeah we just need to dump enough cap to add those winger .

Eberle
Hoffman
Kreider

second group of wingers

Chiasson
Puljujarvi
Benson . I think he will be ready to take the next step

Hoffman McDavid Chiasson
Kreider Draisaitl Puljujarvi . Leave Puljujarvi there and let him develop some chemistry
Benson Marody Eberle soft minute against weaker lines
Khaira Cave Kassian can switch up with Chiasson if needed

or go all out on line 1

Hoffman McD Draisaitl
Kreider RNH Eberle
Benson Marody Puljujarvi
Khaira Cave Kassian

D upgrades and rookies

Klefbom Subban
Nurse Larsson
Jones Russell

Last edited:

scotchtapejr

Dec 28, 2018
Hall has absolutely no reason to come back here and his team just secured Hughes.
Doubt Hall cares. He's already seen what 2 #1 draft picks can do for the success of a hockey team in Nuge and Yakupov. I firmly believe he values winning and would chase that rather than waiting it out and hoping for the future in NJ.

I think with Chiarelli being gone, it at least opens up the possibility of Hall returning.

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
I am genuinely curious what value you attribute to Nuge in terms of dollar value? He played with absolute scrubs at even strength so it is not like he had the supporting casts of the guys below. Nuge is about mid range on this list in terms of age and of those clustered around 70 points he is fairly reasonably priced especially considering Duchene will get a pay raise this year going to ~8.5 - 10 M. Barzal, Pettersson, Dubois, Domi, and Matthews are soon to be at deals at a level much higher than Nuge although they likely have a higher top end or similar in terms of Domi (I expect some regression) and Dubois. Realistically he is producing at market value at worst and I would even argue after the coming season pending similar production Market value is around 7M since it seems you get paid about 1M for every 10 points.

Note the picture below is not fully updated as Capfriendly has not added the final game of the season which brought Nuge to 69 points. If you look at the NHL.com list not much changed for the other players so the point is still valid.

View attachment 212853
Ryan Nugent-Hopkins is pretty much making what he's going to make. His next deal will fall around $7-7.5m considering the guy who just scored 50 is making just $1m more.

Draisaitl will be the guy who keeps a lot of future RFAs in a sustainable range.

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
I also think adding a 3rd line center might be more difficult to do than adding a 2nd line winger type. You look at the UFA market and it's basically Duchene, Hayes, and a big drop off to a guy like Brassard. Those guys are going to get paid, we can't afford it. There are way more options in UFA for wingers. It's more likely we could trade for a winger than a 3rd line center. Even more reason to try to go with the 3C approach.

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Doubt Hall cares. He's already seen what 2 #1 draft picks can do for the success of a hockey team in Nuge and Yakupov. I firmly believe he values winning and would chase that rather than waiting it out and hoping for the future in NJ.

I think with Chiarelli being gone, it at least opens up the possibility of Hall returning.
Hall isn't coming back.

He's going to go where the money is and no one can blame him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad