Rumor: Rumors and Proposals Thread: "We Have a Lot of Crap to Figure Out"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Isn’t that2020 pick lottery protected for CBj?

Plus Columbus still would have Werenski, Jones, Dubois, Atkinson.. they’re not a bottom 10 team.
Oops. Made a mistake. Sens get 2019 1st and 2020 1st if Duchene re-signs with Columbus

Mo

Jan 17, 2006
Habs need some help on left D and have a glutton of speedy complimentary wingers on good contracts (Gallagher, Drouin, Tatar, Byron, Lehkonen, Armia, Shaw, Hudon, Peca...) have a ton of cap space and i think 10 picks this draft.

They seem to have a fetish for fins, could use size, were front runners for Lucic, and have some of his BC buds on their team.

Pul+Lucic (some retained $$) + 8th for 15th + Byron + 2nd rndr.

or

Sekera/Russell + 8th for 15th + Byron + 2nd rndr

ImmuneEH

Apr 2, 2017
I'm opposed to trading the pick for a number of reasons.

1) Nuge has 2 years remaining on his deal, we may not choose to extend him for cap reasons or he could choose to walk for his own reasons. It would be nice to have a prospect in the system who we can groom into that 2C role. McLeod and Marody are 3C's at best imo. What a turn of events! Dach, Cozens, Turcotte, Zegras, and Krebs all play C! Yes, I'll admit that a couple of these guys are likely wingers at the NHL level. Drafting any one of these guys at 8 wouldn't be considered a reach.

2) I would not at all mind trading the pick if we didn't have so many holes in our roster. Fact is, we have multiple holes.
  • Larsson is the only top 4 RD on the roster, and his contract expires in 2 years. Bouchard could most certainly develop into a top 4 RD. Bear, Persson, and Benning strike me as 3RD at best.
  • We need another winger that can help drive offense on the 2nd line. Yamamoto didn't show enough in the AHL this season, JP is a massive question mark, Benson strikes me as a complimentary forward.
  • We don't have a good starting goalie. Starrett could certainly become an NHL back-up, but could use another year in the AHL. The other goalie prospects aren't exactly killing it at the pro level.
  • We lack a go-to 3C. McLeod is the likely answer here, but he spends next season in the AHL.
  • We have a cap sink in Lucic, and it would likely take a 1st to get a team to take on his contract.
So trade a part of our future, plug one hole, but I think you're hurting yourself more than helping in the bigger scheme of things.

3) The player drafted with this pick will be protected in the expansion draft.

4) Build towards the 2020/21 season.

Help is on the way, but not as soon as you'd like.
  • I can see Benson & Marody getting significant NHL time next season, but mostly spending time in the AHL.
  • McLeod has all the tools and is very pro-ready, I think he only spends one season in Bakersfield.
  • Yamamoto gets another season in the AHL before 'break out' or 'bust'.
  • JP is a big question mark, I think for him it's 'break out' or 'bust' in that season as well. I'd like to see him spend a year in Finland.
  • The player drafted at #8 likely isn't ready in his draft +1, but history suggests he's ready in his draft +2.
  • Jones & Lagesson look ready as early as next season, but they are blocked by our depth at LD in the NHL.
  • Bouchard could use a year of seasoning in the AHL to polish his defensive game.
  • Have to think Bear's 'bust' or 'break out' is in the 2020/21 season. Next year is his final year of being waiver exempt.
  • Persson will need time to adjust to the NA game & better players.
We have a lot of cap space opening up.
  • Gagner - $3.15
  • Kassian - $1.95
  • Brodziak - $1.15
  • Benning - $1.9
  • Manning - $2.25
  • Gryba's Buyout - $.3
  • Total: $10.7
Sekera & Russell's Contracts become very tradeable
Russell's contract turns into a NTC with a 15 team trade list (Sekera currently has this stipulation).

Having a slew of help coming in from our system + cap flexibility gives our GM lots of room to wheel around and fix holes in our roster.

If we build towards 2020/21, our roster at that point might look something like:
Benson/McDavid/Draisaitl
Big name FA/Nuge/Yamamoto
Khaira/McLeod/Puljujarvi
Lucic/Marody/Currie
Extra F: Cave, Gambardella

I especially like the look of line 3, all big players who can skate; JP & Khaira have played well together in the past. Alternatively, McLeod & Yams looked good together at camp.

Klefbomb/Larsson
Nurse/Player acquired with futures
Jones/Bouchard
Lagesson

Koskinen
Starrett

I suspect one of JP or Yams + the 2020 1st gets you a top 4 RD. Whichever player remains is placed in our top 6, and we either extend Kassian or go searching for a middle-6 RW.

Macblender

May 5, 2014
I'm opposed to trading the pick for a number of reasons.

1) Nuge has 2 years remaining on his deal, we may not choose to extend him for cap reasons or he could choose to walk for his own reasons. It would be nice to have a prospect in the system who we can groom into that 2C role. McLeod and Marody are 3C's at best imo. What a turn of events! Dach, Cozens, Turcotte, Zegras, and Krebs all play C! Yes, I'll admit that a couple of these guys are likely wingers at the NHL level. Drafting any one of these guys at 8 wouldn't be considered a reach.

2) I would not at all mind trading the pick if we didn't have so many holes in our roster. Fact is, we have multiple holes.
  • Larsson is the only top 4 RD on the roster, and his contract expires in 2 years. Bouchard could most certainly develop into a top 4 RD. Bear, Persson, and Benning strike me as 3RD at best.
  • We need another winger that can help drive offense on the 2nd line. Yamamoto didn't show enough in the AHL this season, JP is a massive question mark, Benson strikes me as a complimentary forward.
  • We don't have a good starting goalie. Starrett could certainly become an NHL back-up, but could use another year in the AHL. The other goalie prospects aren't exactly killing it at the pro level.
  • We lack a go-to 3C. McLeod is the likely answer here, but he spends next season in the AHL.
  • We have a cap sink in Lucic, and it would likely take a 1st to get a team to take on his contract.
So trade a part of our future, plug one hole, but I think you're hurting yourself more than helping in the bigger scheme of things.

3) The player drafted with this pick will be protected in the expansion draft.

4) Build towards the 2020/21 season.

Help is on the way, but not as soon as you'd like.
  • I can see Benson & Marody getting significant NHL time next season, but mostly spending time in the AHL.
  • McLeod has all the tools and is very pro-ready, I think he only spends one season in Bakersfield.
  • Yamamoto gets another season in the AHL before 'break out' or 'bust'.
  • JP is a big question mark, I think for him it's 'break out' or 'bust' in that season as well. I'd like to see him spend a year in Finland.
  • The player drafted at #8 likely isn't ready in his draft +1, but history suggests he's ready in his draft +2.
  • Jones & Lagesson look ready as early as next season, but they are blocked by our depth at LD in the NHL.
  • Bouchard could use a year of seasoning in the AHL to polish his defensive game.
  • Have to think Bear's 'bust' or 'break out' is in the 2020/21 season. Next year is his final year of being waiver exempt.
  • Persson will need time to adjust to the NA game & better players.
We have a lot of cap space opening up.
  • Gagner - $3.15
  • Kassian - $1.95
  • Brodziak - $1.15
  • Benning - $1.9
  • Manning - $2.25
  • Gryba's Buyout - $.3
  • Total: $10.7
Sekera & Russell's Contracts become very tradeable
Russell's contract turns into a NTC with a 15 team trade list (Sekera currently has this stipulation).

Having a slew of help coming in from our system + cap flexibility gives our GM lots of room to wheel around and fix holes in our roster.

If we build towards 2020/21, our roster at that point might look something like:
Benson/McDavid/Draisaitl
Big name FA/Nuge/Yamamoto
Khaira/McLeod/Puljujarvi
Lucic/Marody/Currie
Extra F: Cave, Gambardella

I especially like the look of line 3, all big players who can skate; JP & Khaira have played well together in the past. Alternatively, McLeod & Yams looked good together at camp.

Klefbomb/Larsson
Nurse/Player acquired with futures
Jones/Bouchard
Lagesson

Koskinen
Starrett

I suspect one of JP or Yams + the 2020 1st gets you a top 4 RD. Whichever player remains is placed in our top 6, and we either extend Kassian or go searching for a middle-6 RW.
Just sign Spurgeon in the 2020 offseason for ~6.25M rather than trade futures. The guy is from Edmonton and returns here in the offseason I doubt he would be against coming here.

Run:
Klef -Spurgeon
Nurse - Bouchard
Jones - Larsson
Lagesson.

Overall we really have no incentive to trade the pick unless we are getting a solid Top 6 player back in return on a good contract.

I agree that we should be building for two years from now. I still think there is some solid deals we could make in the offseason that provide depth for us this coming season that trading the 8th pick isnt necessary.

E.i. 2nd 2019 for a solid 3C (Pageau/Coyle), Benning for Brown, and sign Ebs/Donskoi.

Edit: I think bringing him in along with the depth mentioned above with a couple of young players pushing for spots at forward (Yama, Marody, Benson, 8th) we could likely attract a very large name FA e.i. Granlund or Hall if they see the right pieces come together this season + Spurgeon where they say that team with me as the top line or 2nd line LW could be a contender who already has two top 30 or so players in the world on it one being the best.

Last edited:

ImmuneEH

Apr 2, 2017
Just sign Spurgeon in the 2020 offseason for ~6.25M rather than trade futures. The guy is from Edmonton and returns here in the offseason I doubt he would be against coming here.

Run:
Klef -Spurgeon
Nurse - Bouchard
Jones - Larsson
Lagesson.

Overall we really have no incentive to trade the pick unless we are getting a solid Top 6 player back in return on a good contract.

I agree that we should be building for two years from now. I still think there is some solid deals we could make in the offseason that provide depth for us this coming season that trading the 8th pick isnt necessary.

E.i. 2nd 2019 for a solid 3C (Pageau/Coyle), Benning for Brown, and sign Ebs/Donskoi.

Yeah I could definitely live with Spurgeon as opposed to trading futures. Barrie is also potentially an option. We'll have the cap space. Also yeah, not advocating for doing nothing this off-season, but lets not jump the gun and trade our 1st is all I'm saying.

Reactions: Macblender

Macblender

May 5, 2014
Who would you rather have on McDavid's wing, Brown or Kassian?
Kassian for me.

Brown no question.
I am the opposite as when we leave Drai on his wing the 3rd fiddle doesnt matter as much.

Nuge however if we can get two solid wingers will likely have a more productive season at even strength and we become less of a one line team. I think adding a Brown + Ebs/Donskoi to his line gives the team an extra 40 or so points out of his wingers.

In the scenario mentioned on the past page if you get a solid 3c like Coyle or Pageau you could potentially end up getting an extra 20-30 points out of your 3rd line as well.

Reactions: Lay Z Boy GM

oilcountry17

Aug 27, 2007
edmonton
Would Minnesota do Sekera 1st (8th pick) 2019 + 3rd for Spurgeon and 1st (12 pick) 2019
Would also do the Benning for Brown trade I would add a 5th round pick as well

Fixes our D for next year
Klef Spurgeon = 9.35
Nurse Lars =7.37
Russel Jones/Bear/Persson who ever comes in to camp and earns it. = 4.75
Gravel or Petrovic at .85
=22.32

Up Front On July 2 I think you could do Something like Lucic + Brodz 2020 1st (unprotected as long as Connor wont miss much time) + Yammo for Pageau and Smith

Leaves us with
Drai Mcdavid Kass (who ever is hot to ride shotgun) 22.95mil
??? Nuge Brown = 7.3
Smith Pageau Gags (Probably the best 3rd line since the 2006 playoffs) = 9.45
Khaira (resigned 2 @ 1.25) Marody Chaisson (resigned 2 year 1.5 per) = 3.675
Cave Currie = 1.36

Mikko 4.5
Back up 1.5

Dead cap 2.86 (manning Pouliot Gryba)

Total 76 mil, have 5 - 6 mill to add Nuges winger in UFA (I like Ferland & Nyquist )
Leaves almost all players down in Bako for more seasoning.

Macblender

May 5, 2014
If Brown doesn't cost a lot, why not have both and see who is the better fit?
As we need wingers for Nuge not Connor as he already has Drai. We dont need to load our top line anymore as Drai will be a 90 point player with him and McDavid will still put up 110-120. We need depth.

Macblender

May 5, 2014
Minny might bite if you take Spurgeon out of the trade.
Agreed we should just try and sign Spurgeon next offseason if he hits FA as I would assume he would have no issue returning to his home town as he comes back in the offseasons.

We should make the pick unless we have long term solution coming back who isnt hitting FA next year. This ideally with some decent retooling of the middle 6 lines should be our last year bottom 10 so lets take advantage of adding a good skill player and have a good offseason.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
With Gusev likely signing a one year deal for the remainder of the playoffs, one would think that's another wrench thrown into Vegas' cap picture moving forward.

They're going to be pretty much pressed to move some depth players at less than favorable returns.

Colin Miller could be an interesting target if we're shopping one of our emerging defensemen.

North

Jun 25, 2009
With Gusev likely signing a one year deal for the remainder of the playoffs, one would think that's another wrench thrown into Vegas' cap picture moving forward.

They're going to be pretty much pressed to move some depth players at less than favorable returns.

Colin Miller could be an interesting target if we're shopping one of our emerging defensemen.

He was healthy scratched this year including game 1 against the Sharks.

Macblender

May 5, 2014
We shouldn’t pay much if he is.
Agree with this there is likely better options and at his cap I would rather just keep Russell for another season as he becomes easier to move after next year with the NMC going to a NTC and his total salary owed in the year down to 2.5M from 4M so easy enough to move and if we trade him after July 1 2020 his salary is 1.5M so shold be able to trade him for positive value to a cap floor team.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia

I’d definitely be interested in Miller. I wonder if it’s possible to do a 3 way team with someone where we get Miller, the 3rd team gets Russell, and Vegas gets picks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad