Rumor: Rumors and Proposals Thread: "We Have a Lot of Crap to Figure Out"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
This is disregarding PPP/ES split. McDavid definitely helps him on his PP #'s.
You could say that for every team in the league. It's irrelevant.

Yea we have a superstar.. he's going to be on the ice with our other star players. Every team in the league has star players playing with star players contributing to eachother's stats.

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
If Hall was willing to sign an extension would you live the 2019 1st for him?

We’d get Hall next year at 6 million then have to figure out next season how his new contract would fit under the cap.

Lots of cap coming off the books next season as well so it’s possible.
I just watched his year end interview and it looks like he's definitely moving on from NJ to me at least. I have a hard time believing he'd sign here long term for the exact reason he'd be leaving Jersey.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Younger, better contract, stronger and much better on faceoffs. He's also the true shutdown defensive stud type of guy whereas Nuge plays a solid 2 way game but it's not borderline Selke calibre like Bo.

Also, he's the Nucks future captain and an amazing locker room guy by all accounts. He's not going anywhere.
Horvat isn’t borderline selke caliber

Reactions: nabob

Darkwinter

Apr 4, 2010
I just watched his year end interview and it looks like he's definitely moving on from NJ to me at least. I have a hard time believing he'd sign here long term for the exact reason he'd be leaving Jersey.
I am more than likely wrong but was there not rumours of him wanting to come back to Edmonton ??

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
This is disregarding PPP/ES split. McDavid definitely helps him on his PP #'s.
Star players play with good players on the power play, what a shocking concept...

Edmonton is the only place where all stats except McDavid are discredited

Reactions: nabob

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
There's a difference between the regression we expect from 28+ year olds in the modern NHL and "Lucicitis". You should always be skeptical that a player on the other side of 30 will rebound, because they very often do not.

Elite players tend to stay elite longer though and when they do decline, the drop off from "elite" to very good" isn't exactly a cliff.

Subban is fairly one dimensional as far as top pairing defenseman go. If he's only scoring 35 points, which granted he did in 60 games this year, he's not doing a ton of other things that separate him from a Klefbom or a Nurse - only he makes as much as they do combined, plus 1M dollars.

Eh I don't buy this at all. P.K's on a whole other level than those guys.

Considering the team has serious cap issues, that IS a big risk to take all the way to 2022.

There's also a big risk in continuing to roll out a pretty pedestrian D corps that can't move the puck worth a damn.

Last edited:

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006

Why would he leave a young team with two good Cs and a ton of cap room to get better?

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007

I think he will wait until the season to see how good that Hughes kid is before deciding whether to stay there or move on.

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
Why would he leave a young team with two good Cs and a ton of cap room to get better?
Ehh.. I think most people would probably consider Hischier to be something in between RNH and Seguin and Hughes probably isn't in the Eichel/Matthews class. They've gotten luck similar to how we won in poor draft years (until 2015 of course). They have major question marks in net and on defense. That team reminds me of us before we got McDavid.

Reactions: Macblender

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I just would love to see Hall and current Draisaitl together.

Yeah, welp, shame how that all turned out. They'd be in the playoffs playing right now if they had this as their top six:

Anyone-McDavid (116 points)-Draisaitl (100+ points)
Hall (60-70 points) RNH (68 points) Chiasson (20 goals)

Thanks, Oilers.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
I never understood this. IMO RNH likes the predictability and space afforded to him when he plays with Lucic and IMO Lucic plays his best hockey with #93. I also said that Jesse should be stapled to RNH as he plays his best hockey with Nuge. Meanwhile the coaching staff seemed to go away from Looch and Jesse with Nuge.

Ya if you look at most of the times Nuge has been successful, it’s with a big body, and a skill player. For example, Pouliot - Nuge - Ebs was a great 2nd like for us.

Stauffer keeps talking about moving out 2 of our top 6 defencemen to get different type of players. He talked about Nurse and Klef as being part of the core and also said he wouldn't trade Larsson because his value would be low...the leaves 2 out of the 3 of Russell, Benning and Sekera. I am guessing Benning and Russell would be the 2 he is talking about.

Makes sense. Sekera is the best of the 3, but it’ll take some time for people to not be cautious of his injury history. Meanwhile Russell and Benning both actually have value (albeit not a ton). The issue is who do you move them for? If we’re getting a puck mover back for them, we’re either adding quite a bit (Miller?), or it’s going to be a pretty bad player (Pouliot?).

Let's call it 20 games because I don't know exactly when they took him off that line.

He had 19 points in the first 20 games. He had 50 points in his last 62 games. His projection with those numbers is 66 points.. (he had 69)

Again, his production has nothing to do with McDavid.

Ya and that drop is to be expected out of anyone considering who he had to play with. Not scoring quite as much with a couple 4th liners isn’t the same as being carried.

I am more than likely wrong but was there not rumours of him wanting to come back to Edmonton ??

Not really. Just that he felt slighted by being the one moved. Which is totally understandable. Not everyone is going to have Talbot’s reaction (went and thanked management and said he thought he’d finish his career here). That doesn’t necessarily mean he won’t ever get over it. Especially since the guy who traded him is gone, and we still have a bunch of his friends (Nuge, Gags, Connor, etc)

Reactions: Darkwinter

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
Lucic 1.85M retained + 2nd round pick to CAR for Darling (= same cap hit)

Buyout Darling = 1,233,333, 2,333,333, 1,183,333, 1,183,333 against cap
= 2,916,667, 1,816,667, 2,966,667, 2,966,667 total savings with the 1.85 retained on Lucic vs. paying him 6M for 4 more years.

Carolina has said they want toughness. That was before they acquired Ferland who is probably gone. They would probably rather pay a player at that cap hit to play, rather than to pay Darling while buried.

Carolina has room for Lucic, we get more savings out of it even with retaining Lucic salary since Darling's buyout is cheaper. We add a 2nd rounder to factor into the extra 2 years they would pay Lucic.

Louis Cypher

Boys are back in town
Jun 11, 2007
There's a difference between the regression we expect from 28+ year olds in the modern NHL and "Lucicitis". You should always be skeptical that a player on the other side of 30 will rebound, because they very often do not.

Subban is fairly one dimensional as far as top pairing defenseman go. If he's only scoring 35 points, which granted he did in 60 games this year, he's not doing a ton of other things that separate him from a Klefbom or a Nurse - only he makes as much as they do combined, plus 1M dollars. Considering the team has serious cap issues, that IS a big risk to take all the way to 2022.

If we can clear some cap, not meaningfully reduce our ability to address forward AND get them to take Andrej Sekera in the deal, that makes some sense for the Oilers. Otherwise, I would be skeptical.
We need to spend all available dollars on good wingers and maybe a backup

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
McDavid was his most common linemate at 5v5 by a large margin, but their production together was pretty pedestrian.

He had a strange season at 5v5. Lucic and Pulju were his 3rd/4th most common linemates at 5v5 and he had his highest P/60 with them. Almost a full 1 P/60 higher than when he played with McDavid.
This is not strange for Nuge. It was the same thing with Hall. People said that Hall carried him but his p/60 was higher away from Hall than it was with Hall. Playing with both he tends to take a secondary role. Away from these guys he runs the line.

McRobbiezyg

Oct 21, 2007
A good buy low candidate could be Robby Fabbri. He's getting buried in the depth chart, hasn't been able to stay healthy and probably wouldn't cost much! Theres still a player under all that scar tissue haha

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
I disagree with Marody. I think he looked really good in his early stint with the Oilers and then Hitch didn't give him an opportunity. He made a lot of plays here didn't look out of place at all. I think he has good potential.

Agree on all.

However his wheels still need work which is separate from everything you point out.

He improves his skating and we have our 3C.

Macblender

May 5, 2014
Where's Nuge's new wife from?
Could be wrong as I have seen other people answer this but I am like 95% sure his soon to be wife is from Red Deer and they have been together since he was in junior. I would hazard that the Edmonton/Van in the Bio is due to the fact Nuge goes back to Van in the offseason so she would likely split time between Edmonton during the season then they would move out to Van in the offseason.

Macblender

May 5, 2014
Looks like she's pretty close with Eberle and his wife.

Eberle to Edmonton (E5)
I thought we had rumors mid season ish that Ebs would look at returning if there was a fit as he or his wife preferred being in Western Canada (Wife is from Edmonton). He grew up an Oil fan and literally we are dying for wingers who can put up some offense. If we could grab him at around 4M I would be very open to it.

Reactions: frag2

Macblender

May 5, 2014
Hall has absolutely no reason to come back here and his team just secured Hughes.
Yeah they have Hughes, Hall, and Hischier basically. They have a few okay 2nd and third line guys but a tire fire on D and in net.

I could see him viewing that situation sort of like his time with the oilers with a couple top end pieces but not much else. I dont think NJ is a given as a place he will stay but I dont see much reason for him to come back/less so after the lottery.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad