Rumor: Rumors and Proposals Thread: Waivers Anyone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dem

Mar 17, 2002
I think Holland will want to clear as much space as possible this summer..
I highly doubt they will be grabbing Baertschi.

This season is a write off.

BudBundy

May 16, 2005
Teams like to balance contracts.

JP has about as much value as a waiver wire cast off as well.
JP is worth more than nothing. We have Russell and Cave around and sit at 48 contracts. I seriously doubt we gaf about balancing contracts right now.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Well ignoring his off ice drama, and there’s a lot of it, there’s just not really an argument for him over Sprong. Sprong is younger and been better at every level of pro so far.

I’d be okay with Sprong too. Has a wicked shot. Assuming a guy like him gets picked up, cause it’d be a miracle if he dropped to us on the waiver order.... I’d take Hosang warts and all.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
JP is worth more than nothing. We have Russell and Cave around and sit at 48 contracts. I seriously doubt we gaf about balancing contracts right now.
Well it wouldn't be "nothing" really.. right now we are 99% sure Puljujarvi will never play for the Oilers so right now the Oilers have zero for that player.

Say you trade for a Goldobin (after he passes through waivers) for JP... similar level player and you have that player signed for $900,000.

Now you actually have a player that might want to play for the Oilers vs one that never will.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
My prediction is that the Oilers put in a claim for Sprong but a team before them will claim him. JHS will go unclaimed. The Oilers will then sign Burdasov to a 1 way contract tomorrow.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
JP currently doesn't even count against the Oilers 50 limit... but overall I assumed maybe the Oilers just want to be done with that situation and move on.

BudBundy

May 16, 2005
Well it wouldn't be "nothing" really.. right now we are 99% sure Puljujarvi will never play for the Oilers so right now the Oilers have zero for that player.

Say you trade for a Goldobin (after he passes through waivers) for JP... similar level player and you have that player signed for $900,000.

Now you actually have a player that might want to play for the Oilers vs one that never will.
Not that anyone should want Goldibin, but if you did why not just grab him for nothing off waivers when his cap is negligible and we are sitting at 48 contracts. Trading JP for that? Idiotic!

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
Sprong and Ho Sang are still better than most forward prospects we have. Should we let go off them too?
I’m just saying not all players grow up. I would be fine if the Oilers took a chance on either of them. (Unless Holland knows something about them we don’t of coarse)

Maybe it’s just because it’s early but I am not grasping your point at all .

Why wouldn’t the Oilers just pick him off waivers for free and keep JP developing over the pond?

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
I’m just saying not all players grow up. I would be fine if the Oilers took a chance on either of them. (Unless Holland knows something about them we don’t of coarse)

Maybe it’s just because it’s early but I am not grasping your point at all .

Why wouldn’t the Oilers just pick him off waivers for free and keep JP developing over the pond?

Yes that's the obvious and more logical move.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Unless they are retaining I really don't want Sven. That extra year sucks. Rather just pick up Biega on waivers and be done with.
I see what you're saying, I don't think that 1 yr is unmanageable, and I would rather take the lower cap and the balance to the roster and the contract spaces over just picking up Biega.

jukon

NHL Point Leader
Mar 17, 2011
I remember when Markstom was on waivers and we didn't pick him up just because we already had two goalies we decided to "give it a try" with. I could see similar regret with DeSmith.

jukon

NHL Point Leader
Mar 17, 2011
I'm not saying it's likely, but just curious. If Haas or Nygard don't stick with the big club and decide to go back to Europe, do their contracts stop counting against the 50 or do they have to expire? Would we mutually agree to void the contract?

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
The silence with waiver claims is deafening right now. Usually stuff gets leaked before the deadline.

ohheyhemsky

Regehr DooDoo
Nov 1, 2010
DT Cowtown
I'm not saying it's likely, but just curious. If Haas or Nygard don't stick with the big club and decide to go back to Europe, do their contracts stop counting against the 50 or do they have to expire? Would we mutually agree to void the contract?
If they decide to just "go back to Europe," I'm assuming that we would suspend them and move towards the mutual termination of the contract.

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
The silence with waiver claims is deafening right now. Usually stuff gets leaked before the deadline.

Do you have any examples? I think we've almost never seen a player and team mentioned before the deadline. Likely because claims can be put in a minute before.

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet

This would be a mutual termination situation, so no they would not count against the contract limit as they would not have contracts at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad