Rumor: Rumors and Proposals Thread: Waivers Anyone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hopelesslucicfan

Larsson fanclub 2016
Mar 14, 2009
Edmonton
Not too surprising with our cap and contract situation.

Hard to believe we're going into the season with these wingers, D, and goaltending though. The amount of lost trades, busted draft picks, and terrible asset management that have to go into a team so amazingly thin after 10+ years of being bottom of the barrel bad is legendary.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
They would rather have Manning sit in the pressbox as a #7 as opposed to one of the young guys. No surprise really, don't really understand the outrage. I expect Bear to be sent down when Persson returns.

As for Sprong, I think they should have taken a chance but I guess his baggage is to heavy for any team to take the chance.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I remember when Markstom was on waivers and we didn't pick him up just because we already had two goalies we decided to "give it a try" with. I could see similar regret with DeSmith.
The guy is 28 and hasn't really proved anything. Not sure why he is some sort of can't miss goalie

I also don't get the Markstrom comparison as I don't see him really doing a lot other than being average at best

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
I think Holland will want to clear as much space as possible this summer..
I highly doubt they will be grabbing Baertschi.

This season is a write off.
Now that he's cleared I'm hopeful we can grab Baertschi, much like we did in pawning off Spooner for Gagner, just need them to take back a bad contract or give us some retention to make it more palatable than taking on all of Baertschi's cap-hit.
Sprong and Ho Sang are still better than most forward prospects we have. Should we let go off them too?
It's not like you put in a waiver claim and just get to deposit them on your farm team to continue developing, if you put in a waiver claim it's to play them on your team, if they aren't good enough to play on your team like most of our prospects aren't you've got to waive said player again.

We are at 48 of 50 possible contracts we shouldn't be putting in to many waiver claims unless we think we are actively improving our NHL roster. Both Ho Sang and Sprong are offensively talented, but have the reputation of being underwhelming to flat out weak defensively and to not be the easiest players to coach. As per usual fanbases tend to overvalue skill that comes with glaring flaws and put far less value into defensive game than actual NHL teams do.

PaPaDee

5-14-6-1
Sep 21, 2005
Saskazoo
Now that he's cleared I'm hopeful we can grab Baertschi, much like we did in pawning off Spooner for Gagner, just need them to take back a bad contract or give us some retention to make it more palatable than taking on all of Baertschi's cap-hit.

It's not like you put in a waiver claim and just get to deposit them on your farm team to continue developing, if you put in a waiver claim it's to play them on your team, if they aren't good enough to play on your team like most of our prospects aren't you've got to waive said player again.

We are at 48 of 50 possible contracts we shouldn't be putting in to many waiver claims unless we think we are actively improving our NHL roster. Both Ho Sang and Sprong are offensively talented, but have the reputation of being underwhelming to flat out weak defensively and to not be the easiest players to coach. As per usual fanbases tend to overvalue skill that comes with glaring flaws and put far less value into defensive game than actual NHL teams do.

When we have such few offensive options, we should be looking at every opportunity to add skill.

dem

Mar 17, 2002
You mean teams were not clamoring to add more junk to their teams before the season starts? shocking...

A crap for crap deal is about the only thing that could happen.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
You mean teams were not clamoring to add more junk to their teams before the season starts? shocking...
Gregor mentioned that he talked to a GM yesterday or day before. Essentially while there are guys that are intriguing, teams have guys that are intriguing themselves at this point in time.

I could also see if Jurco, Shehan and say Archibald were on waivers and we had Sprong and Ho-Sang on this roster I could see people saying we should waive those two and grab two of those guys. Fact is the team identified some guys they liked, continued to like them in camp/pre-season and are now going to give them a shot.

djdub

This Space for Rent
Oct 1, 2011
Calgary, AB
Gregor mentioned that he talked to a GM yesterday or day before. Essentially while there are guys that are intriguing, teams have guys that are intriguing themselves at this point in time.

I could also see if Jurco, Shehan and say Archibald were on waivers and we had Sprong and Ho-Sang on this roster I could see people saying we should waive those two and grab two of those guys. Fact is the team identified some guys they liked, continued to like them in camp/pre-season and are now going to give them a shot.

That's why these final day waiver claims are rare. Your typically taking a spot away from a guy you've just told made the team....

Unless of course there was a late injury.

Snowpants

In Depth Hockey Analyst
Apr 20, 2019
Manning I get he earned #7 spot

But Benning for Sprong please you get rid of the worst dman on the team and add a young right shot wing

GodPucker

Sep 27, 2017
I am excited for this season in a different way. I have zero expectations lol. They can surprise me or not. I won't be angry unless I see Chiarelli like moves that make us go even more backwards.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010

If they're not good, we waive again like you said. If they find chemistry with one or all of our C or a role on the team, we found gold. They're not perfect players. That's why they're on waiver and only cost league minimum.

This year is a write off essentially. Why does the number of contracts matter so much?

ohheyhemsky

Regehr DooDoo
Nov 1, 2010
DT Cowtown
Manning I get he earned #7 spot

But Benning for Sprong please you get rid of the worst dman on the team and add a young right shot wing
He in no way earned a #7 spot. Every single game, he was god awful.

If we're keeping up a LHD for Persson's rotation, keep Lags up. He did earn it. He was steady and didn't give the puck away or ice it at every opportunity.

Snowpants

In Depth Hockey Analyst
Apr 20, 2019
He in no way earned a #7 spot. Every single game, he was god awful.

If we're keeping up a LHD for Persson's rotation, keep Lags up. He did earn it. He was steady and didn't give the puck away or ice it at every opportunity.

Lags should be on the team another reason to trade Benning

But Manning was alright I do not get the hate for him based on last few games

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Zero Free Assets? No Sprong? No Ho-Sang?

This organization is so stupid. Will be watching Sprong, Ho-Sang, AND Zykov closely this year. We can add them to the pile of missed opportunities along with Gustaffson and probably Marino.

Reactions: McCanovin
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->