Rumor: Rumors and Proposals Thread: Waivers Anyone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Benning is not really a big issue. If your number six defensman is the big issue on your team you probably need to upgrade your top four.

The issue is if you can't trust your bottom pairing to play at least regular bottom pairing minutes, you end up overplaying your already not great top4.

The Oilers had three defensemen in the top 22 for EVTOI/GP last season. Nurse(10th, 20:03), Larsson(20th, 19:33), Klefbom(22, 19:32). Along with Russell(65th, 18:15).

Benning may be able to tread water as one of the most sheltered bottom defensemen in the league, but that puts unneeded stress on everyone else.

Oil Dood

Sep 17, 2019
The issue is if you can't trust your bottom pairing to play at least regular bottom pairing minutes, you end up overplaying your already not great top4.

The Oilers had three defensemen in the top 22 for EVTOI/GP last season. Nurse(10th, 20:03), Larsson(20th, 19:33), Klefbom(22, 19:32). Along with Russell(65th, 18:15).

Benning may be able to tread water as one of the most sheltered bottom defensemen in the league, but that puts unneeded stress on everyone else.

Everyone seems to like piling on Benning and sometimes that is fair but he is actually really solid. I know everyone likes to crap on plus minus stats but I will point out that he has been a plus player every single year he has been on the Oilers. It would not hurt my feelings if he was traded but really as long as he is not getting scored on when he is on the ice it is a non issue.

He is perfect for buying all our young prospects time as well.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada

The problem I have with Benning is that he's still the player who needs to be sheltered. What's his upside? There is none.

This is the reason why I was very adamant that he should've been traded this summer. If we were forced to play Kris Russell on his offside another year, so be it. Matt Benning is holding a role that could be taken by a rookie making close to league min.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004

IMO it is entirely possible that all of Bouchard, Bear, Persson and Lagesson are better players at this point than Benning. All of them are more mobile skating wise and at least 3 of them have better offensive abilities.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Just got an update on the Condors app.

The Edmonton Oilers have assigned nine players to the Bakersfield Condors of the American Hockey League (AHL) and placed four players on waivers for the purpose of being assigned to Bakersfield. There are now 33 players in camp, including three goaltenders, 11 defensemen and 19 forwards.
The Oilers have assigned the following players to Bakersfield (AHL):
  • Tyler Benson (LW)
  • Cameron Hebig (C/W)
  • Caleb Jones (D)
  • Kirill Maksimov (RW)
  • Cooper Marody (C)
  • Ryan McLeod (C)
  • Anthony Peluso (LW/RW)
  • Dmitri Samorukov (D)
  • Dylan Wells (G)
The Oilers have placed the following four players on waivers for the purpose of being assigned to Bakersfield (AHL)
  • Josh Currie (RW)
  • Joseph Gambardella (LW)
  • Keegan Lowe (D)
  • Brad Malone (C)”

North

Jun 25, 2009
@RaabHart if you think the best way to view Chiarelli’s work is the fact that he has work again, I don’t know what to tell you.

The NHL is an OBC. Everyone knows this except for you apparently.

Reactions: frag2 and TB12

Captain Controversy

Apr 30, 2015
Alberta

The Edmonton Oilers have assigned nine players to the Bakersfield Condors of the American Hockey League (AHL) and placed four players on waivers for the purpose of being assigned to Bakersfield. There are now 33 players in camp, including three goaltenders, 11 defensemen and 19 forwards.
  • Tyler Benson (LW)
  • Cameron Hebig (C/W)
  • Caleb Jones (D)
  • Kirill Maksimov (RW)
  • Cooper Marody (C)
  • Ryan McLeod (C)
  • Anthony Peluso (LW/RW)
  • Dmitri Samorukov (D)
  • Dylan Wells (G)
The Oilers have placed the following four players on waivers for the purpose of being assigned to Bakersfield (AHL)
  • Josh Currie (RW)
  • Keegan Lowe (D)
  • Brad Malone (C)”
Oh goody. Benson needs time in the AHL as does the samurai. Hopefully there are ready next year.

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
I would be annoyed if Gambardella and Currie got picked up by another team - because they are good Condors depth. Are they NHLers? Not currently.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
@RaabHart if you think the best way to view Chiarelli’s work is the fact that he has work again, I don’t know what to tell you.

The NHL is an OBC. Everyone knows this except for you apparently.

The thing is I dont think that there is an industry in existence that doesnt work on prior relationships.
So for a small enterprise like the NHL it shouldnt really be a surprise that relationships are important there either.

North

Jun 25, 2009
The thing is I dont think that there is an industry in existence that doesnt work on prior relationships.
So for a small enterprise like the NHL it shouldnt really be a surprise that relationships are important there either.

I will say Chiarelli May have some utility as an amateur scout but I wouldn’t trust him with anything else.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I will say Chiarelli May have some utility as an amateur scout but I wouldn’t trust him with anything else.

You wont find too many on here that disagrees with that. :D

Last edited:

Oil Dood

Sep 17, 2019
IMO it is entirely possible that all of Bouchard, Bear, Persson and Lagesson are better players at this point than Benning. All of them are more mobile skating wise and at least 3 of them have better offensive abilities.

Sure put them in Benning's role but I beleive these young guys need to actually play and not in the bottom pair. They would all be better off playing top four minutes in the AHL right now.

No team has great bottom pairs, the cap world does not allow for it. Benning is okay in that role but I am not going to argue that we need to upgrade there eventually but....I think our top four needs an upgrade first.

alphahelix

Feb 15, 2007
I really liked Joe at the end of last year and in the AHL playoffs, I thought he might catch his stride. But, he was invisible this camp. Maybe there just isn’t another gear for him, or maybe he is quietly battling an injury. Hope he gets 1 more shot some day.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
I would be annoyed if Gambardella and Currie got picked up by another team - because they are good Condors depth. Are they NHLers? Not currently.
No one is picking up good AHL players on waivers to play in the NHL

Dohilers

Dec 18, 2011
BC
The players who get picked up on waivers are the last cuts in the final days at camp, not the guys sent down during the first week. Gambardella and Currie aren't going anywhere other than Bakersfield.

Mr Tadakichi

Never Reads OP Before Posting
Nov 23, 2014

• Tyler Benson (LW)
  • Cameron Hebig (C/W)
  • Caleb Jones (D)
  • Kirill Maksimov (RW)
  • Cooper Marody (C)
  • Ryan McLeod (C)
  • Anthony Peluso (LW/RW)
  • Dmitri Samorukov (D)
  • Dylan Wells (G)
  • Josh Currie (RW)
  • Keegan Lowe (D)
  • Brad Malone (C)”

Would have liked to see McLeod and Samurakov playing with the big guys for a game or two, but not the end of the world.

fireantz

Mar 15, 2007
Sure put them in Benning's role but I beleive these young guys need to actually play and not in the bottom pair. They would all be better off playing top four minutes in the AHL right now.

No team has great bottom pairs, the cap world does not allow for it. Benning is okay in that role but I am not going to argue that we need to upgrade there eventually but....I think our top four needs an upgrade first.
I could see Katz’ private jet humping young D back and forth for short stints in Edm. Putting a little fear in Benning wont hurt

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
If some Oiler player did get picked up on waivers....that's not necessarily a bad thing... opens up a contract spot and the Oilers could easily replace that player with a waiver pickup of their own... or by signing a guy like Burdasov.

fireantz

Mar 15, 2007
You send young guys down early and hope they clear while everyone’s still looking at 30 plus roster. Next week you send down Granlund Benning types if they’re still in a coma and hope they get picked to open up your 50 man

Reactions: Oilhawks

Chabot84

Oct 24, 2009
Well that was a really small window to evaluate a player like say Benson.. geez.

Send him down already? Poor kid.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad