Proposal: Rumors and Proposals Thread: Top 6 Forward or Bust

Status
Not open for further replies.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Just looking at Capfriendly roster stats for each team... if every team signs the max of 23 players per roster... there's 85 spots currently left league-wide.

There's 114 players left as un-signed UFA and RFA players that played 40+ games in the NHL last season.

There's another 35 players left as unsigned UFA and RFA players that played 20-39 games last season.

Point being, there's many more UFA'a and RFA's who played in the NHL last season than there are spots left on team's rosters.

Many players are going to miss out in that musical chairs game which should be a good thing for any team with cap space and roster spots open... who are looking for solid value deals.

Plus teams may make some rather cheap trade deals (which we've already seen happen) to move roster players to fit in other RFA/UFA players they prefer in their 23 man group.

Not to criticize Holland (well maybe a little :) ).. but he probably should have left more roster spots open and kept a little more cap free to take advantage of some of these bargains on the UFA/RFA/Trade market that are coming up... instead of adding marginal stuff like Granlund/Jurco.

Of course if they want they could always bury some current roster players in the AHL if a better player or players becomes available. Just have to watch the 50 contract limit which is quickly approaching.

LMFAO

May 20, 2010
Marner is the Leafs' best forward.

I was working at SportLogiQ last winter, they are the official advance stats provider for 26 NHL teams. And Toronto's best player last season was....

Mr. Tavares ;)

I got to see the software that NHL team pays for and I saw some cool things like Ron Hansey was actually top 10 worst defenseman in the league last season and that Rasmus Sandin was ranked better than Erik Brannstrom.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Every team across the league will eventually have 2-3 star players and crappy depth and some good players on ELC. RFAs and UFAs are making way too much for teams to have any kind of depth

StoveTopStauffer

Apr 6, 2012
I was working at SportLogiQ last winter, they are the official advance stats provider for 26 NHL teams. And Toronto's best player last season was....

Mr. Tavares ;)

I got to see the software that NHL team pays for and I saw some cool things like Ron Hansey was actually top 10 worst defenseman in the league last season and that Rasmus Sandin was ranked better than Erik Brannstrom.

Any other tidbits?

Paralyzer008

Jan 30, 2008
Reminder: A bunch of offer sheet targets go out the window starting at 3 p.m. today.

EDIT: Maybe not as many as I thought. Marner certainly is still available.

Potential Oilers targets Gusev + Vrana aren't arbitration-eligible.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007

Mr. Tavares ;)

Got any Oilers stuff...

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Reminder: A bunch of offer sheet targets go out the window starting at 3 p.m. today.

EDIT: Maybe not as many as I thought. Marner certainly is still available.

Potential Oilers targets Gusev + Vrana aren't arbitration-eligible.
Again 2 I go back to are Sam Bennett and/or Rasmus Anderson

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta

Mr. Tavares ;)

That doesn't factor in age, so I'll just let that go.

LMFAO

May 20, 2010
Any other tidbits?

I didn't have access to the software NHL teams pays for, my boss only showed it to me once.

One thing I remember being surprising is Erik Gustavsson was ranked something like 6th best defenseman league wide (the software is biaised towards puck moving defenseman tho) expect him to break the bank next off season.

Erik Karlsson was still by far the best defenseman in the league.

Top forwards were the likely candidates Kucherov, Gaudreau, McDavid, Hall, Point, etc

Reactions: Chabot84

wuzupdawk

Sep 12, 2006
Edmonton, AB
Is Puljujarvi available to be thrown an offersheet?

Not that anyone likely would at this point.

Good question. Someone would have to bid more than Oilers' qualifying offer. Oilers may/may not match --- moot point if he plays overseas anyway --- but at a certain point would probably appreciate the picks instead, which become bargaining chips for a future trade.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Do you actually believe that Phaneuf is a better D than Benning? I have some bad news for you. Benning is better in nearly every category, and both played similar quality of minutes

And its unfortunate we have to go back to the Benning subject because its been proven time and time again, he actually do very well with rookies on his pairing and makes them better

Or is it that rookies do better on the bottom pairing with sheltered minutes than they do higher up in the lineup with tougher minutes...that would seem to make the most sense.

I’m also betting that having a rookie forces Benning to be more conservative and pay more attention to detail, where as with Nurse or Sekera he’s taking terrible pinches and cheating on coverage constantly

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
Per Friedman and Pagnotta, Montreal threw an offersheet Brayden Point's way earlier this morning but he turned them down.

I don't think Aho was the only offersheet we'll see this summer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad