Proposal: Rumors and Proposals Thread: Top 6 Forward or Bust

Status
Not open for further replies.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
That Cousins deal is just odd. Why would he sign for so little on a team that already has Peca, Thompson, Weal and Poehling all vying for bottom six roles? Seems like one of them will be available on waivers later.

Curious to see what Holland has up his sleeve if Cousins wasn't on his list.

Last edited:

soothsayer

Oct 27, 2009
There were whispers during the summer of 2017 that a certain team was ready to write Draisaitl an offer sheet. It was thought that that was one of the reasons Chiarelli traded Eberle, because he needed the extra space in order to match the offer. (Remember, at the start of the summer Chiarelli seemed surprised at a reporter's question about an offer sheet, as if it didn't even occur to him. Later, he mentioned the potential of an offer sheet as a reason for trading Eberle and freeing up cap space. It was a noticeable 180.) The belief was that some team had informed Chiarelli that they were going to offer sheet Draisaitl. The rumor was that that team was Montreal. Their targeting Aho and Point this off-season, I think, strengthens the legitimacy of that rumor.

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
On pace in the AHL is a lot different than actually scoring over 20 in the NHL like Coleman did last year. Coleman is one of the best value contracts in the league for the next two years.

Bud your talking about throwing away a rookie who only played half a year of Pro hockey with the potential to be a 20+ goal, 50 point scorer for a 27 year old vet who isn't fast. Yes he has a bit of a scoring touch but this would be such a stupid deal. Show this on the main board or, heck even to a reporter, and you'll get laughed out of their face.

You'll probably think I am biased because of my name but this would make no sense in my opinion. Think about how many rookies we've thrown away and think of how they've turned out. A trade like this happens and 2 years later see what happens. Coleman is 30 and Yam is 22-23 turning into a good player

duul

Jun 21, 2010
There are so many damn available wingers and bottom 6 centres that I believe it was wise for Holland to wait. Yea we didn't get Nyquist or guys like Cousins, but there are still a whole lot of scoring wingers like Vanek etc to go after. Or for a trade. I think he made the right call not overpaying in a market that is saturated with scoring wingers.

Good job bud. Now grab us a #1 D and a couple snipers and we are off to the races.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
There are so many damn available wingers and bottom 6 centres that I believe it was wise for Holland to wait. Yea we didn't get Nyquist or guys like Cousins, but there are still a whole lot of scoring wingers like Vanek etc to go after. Or for a trade. I think he made the right call not overpaying in a market that is saturated with scoring wingers.

Good job bud. Now grab us a #1 D and a couple snipers and we are off to the races.
Waiting is wise....as long as at the end of the summer our current roster isn't the roster

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
Kevin Labanc offer sheet makes too much sense.

Doug Wilson has been known to throw around offer sheets I believe he did for Hjalmarsson and Niemi(?). If you're signing anyone, that's who I target.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
There were whispers during the summer of 2017 that a certain team was ready to write Draisaitl an offer sheet. It was thought that that was one of the reasons Chiarelli traded Eberle, because he needed the extra space in order to match the offer. (Remember, at the start of the summer Chiarelli seemed surprised at a reporter's question about an offer sheet, as if it didn't even occur to him. Later, he mentioned the potential of an offer sheet as a reason for trading Eberle and freeing up cap space. It was a noticeable 180.) The belief was that some team had informed Chiarelli that they were going to offer sheet Draisaitl. The rumor was that that team was Montreal. Their targeting Aho and Point this off-season, I think, strengthens the legitimacy of that rumor.
yes we never knew the team, but we all suspected it was Montreal since they were one of the few teams out there with the cap space and also were 1 center away from finishing their team.

I always said that I suspected Drai did get an offer sheet and was using it as a negotiating tactic. At least, he must have talked with other teams about what his salary would be like. I don't think Drai really wanted to sign anything though. He wanted to stay an Oiler as priority #1

It was also obvious the threat of offer sheets was real, and that it was the motivation for trading Eberle when we did. Offer sheets were Chiarelli's main talking points and Chiarelli even had pressers where the major point he would nail down is that he would match any Drai offer sheet.

Reactions: nexttothemoon

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013
Bud your talking about throwing away a rookie who only played half a year of Pro hockey with the potential to be a 20+ goal, 50 point scorer for a 27 year old vet who isn't fast. Yes he has a bit of a scoring touch but this would be such a stupid deal. Show this on the main board or, heck even to a reporter, and you'll get laughed out of their face.

You'll probably think I am biased because of my name but this would make no sense in my opinion. Think about how many rookies we've thrown away and think of how they've turned out. A trade like this happens and 2 years later see what happens. Coleman is 30 and Yam is 22-23 turning into a good player

Who are you talking about here? What rookies have we traded that turned out for other teams in the last 10 years?

In two years Yam is either turning into a good player, or possibly hitting the waiver wire. We need help now. The fact you think Coleman isn't fast makes me think you don't know a lot about this player. I bet Devil's fans would not want to move him for Yamo and the main board would probably be split.

Sometimes you can just sense when a player is about to elevate their game, and I think Coleman is right on the cusp of that. I think back about how I got lambasted for other proposals over the years that were similar to this like Eberle for Marchand or Yakupov for Josh Anderson. I bet Coleman scores substantially more goals than Yamo over the next five years. Plus he'll do that without PP time and is already one of the best PKers in the league.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Putting this up there again because it's a good resource that shows the various offer sheet compensation levels and which teams have the draft picks to make offer sheets...

Offer Sheet Calculator - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

For example... Colorado, Columbus and Dallas can't offer sheet any player unless they use their 4 1sts in an offer above $10.6 million (or they could make an offer under $1.4 million which requires no compensation).

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
It's not even that, he's just quit, he goes through the motions. He has enough skill and he's athletic enough to "get by", but it was very apparent he's checked out otherwise.

I have to say that I agree in some games. I saw him play in Tampa last year sitting literally right behind right the Oilers bench and Gulatzan benched him and he had a fit and checked out.

It happened again when I was at a game w @guymez and he checked out again.

I believe he’s turned into a cancer of sorts and needs to be moved along asap but it probably won’t happen till summer of 2020.

Reactions: Jimmi McJenkins

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
Problem with offersheets is that players hardly ever sign them, they just use them as leverage to get a contract. I think signing them ends up creating a huge disconnect between the team and the player. Carolina might laugh at Montreals offersheet but its pretty likely that Montreal has just detonated the Hurricanes. I think in a year or two, Aho will end up getting traded, they arent going to trust him anymore. Seems like the players who end up signing offersheets always end up getting traded.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
I have to say that I agree in some games. I saw him play in Tampa last year sitting literally right behind right the Oilers bench and Gulatzan benched him and he had a fit and checked out.

It happened again when I was at a game w @guymez and he checked out again.

I believe he’s turned into a cancer of sorts and needs to be moved along asap but it probably won’t happen till summer of 2020.
This is why Holland's offseason mission is to get him off this team if he does wait that long he's failed.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Problem with offersheets is that players hardly ever sign them, they just use them as leverage to get a contract. I think signing them ends up creating a huge disconnect between the team and the player. Carolina might laugh at Montreals offersheet but its pretty likely that Montreal has just detonated the Hurricanes. I think in a year or two, Aho will end up getting traded, they arent going to trust him anymore. Seems like the players who end up signing offersheets always end up getting traded.

That's all the more reason to offer sheet a player from a rival team. :) Even if they match... it sets up some internal strife which is good to see in a rival team.

Oilers can't draft well.. can't trade well.. can't develop well.

Not many tools left in their tool box... maybe they should have been utilizing the offer sheet route in the past to try and procure some genuine proven talent.

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
Who are you talking about here? What rookies have we traded that turned out for other teams in the last 10 years?

In two years Yam is either turning into a good player, or possibly hitting the waiver wire. We need help now. The fact you think Coleman isn't fast makes me think you don't know a lot about this player. I bet Devil's fans would not want to move him for Yamo and the main board would probably be split.

Sometimes you can just sense when a player is about to elevate their game, and I think Coleman is right on the cusp of that. I think back about how I got lambasted for other proposals over the years that were similar to this like Eberle for Marchand or Yakupov for Josh Anderson. I bet Coleman scores substantially more goals than Yamo over the next five years. Plus he'll do that without PP time and is already one of the best PKers in the league.

Doing something like this is such a risk ESPECIALLY if its for a player Coleman. That's the best name you can come up on value contracts?

Faelko

Aug 11, 2002
Wonder if the Oilers grab another 7D or if they platoon Jones and Lagesson on the 3rd pair?

Paralyzer008

Jan 30, 2008
Can no longer offer sheet:

Sam Bennett
Danton Heinen
Jason Dickinson
David Rittich
Brock McGinn
Joel Armia / Charles Hudon / Artturi Lehkonen
Pavel Buchnevich / Jacob Trouba
Scott Laughton
Zach Aston-Reese
Joel Edmundson / Zach Sanford / Oskar Sundqvist / Jordan Binnington
Andrew Copp

Among others.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
This is why Holland's offseason mission is to get him off this team if he does wait that long he's failed.

I have to disagree on the failed part. Moving Lucic is going to be monumentally impossible this year without the same shit contract coming back.

I have always anticipated he’d be an Oiler till summer of 2020. His contract is virtually untradeable until then.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Considering the Oilers real misfortune seems to have started the year they did two offersheets, hopefully this offer sheet madness going on will end the curse!!!

Oh yeah. It's not curse, just poor management.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
I have to disagree on the failed part. Moving Lucic is going to be monumentally impossible this year without the same **** contract coming back.

I have always anticipated he’d be an Oiler till summer of 2020. His contract is virtually untradeable until then.
It's far from impossible. Just because it's "unpleasant" doesn't make it impossible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad