Proposal: Rumors and Proposals Thread: Top 6 Forward or Bust

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
Regarding the Marner situation, if I am a Leafs fan I am not too broken up about losing Marner to an offersheet. Having three guys on your team making $11m+ is just not tenable. Marner is an amazing player, but teams need to be balanced to win cups in this league.

Gaining 4 1st round picks is an underrated benefit imo. Having two 1sts in each of the next 4 drafts gives a team a ton of flexibility with trades and to add deadline acquisitions. I almost think it's a better situation overall for the Leafs, tbh.

That being said, I really hope it's the Habs that submit the offersheet.

He scored 96 points, runs their pp, is a solid 2way player and has emerged as one of their best pk'ers.

Losing him would be a massive blow.
He makes Tavares look 1 dimensional

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Nobody will ever admit that.

He is their best line driver and they don’t realize it.
He also stays healthy. Like a said to you early, I think the Leafs (after they screwed themselves last year with Nylander and Matthews *and assumptions about Hometown discounts*) have decided they have to move on without Marner. The way they've set up their cap, the way they've structured things, they're moving on without him, and hoping for an offersheet so they can "get" those assets and they Dubas doesn't have to have "I traded a 22 year old Mitch Marner because I mismanaged the Cap" on his resume "technically"

Messrules11

6 Cups, elbows up.
Nov 23, 2018
Dubas was on Tim and Sid yesterday and it came across that they can give Marner 11m and still be under the cap with the right guys being sent down. I don’t think Marner is going anywhere.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Dubas was on Tim and Sid yesterday and it came across that they can give Marner 11m and still be under the cap with the right guys being sent down. I don’t think Marner is going anywhere.
:laugh: I would have believed that before they signed Kerfoot.

To me, the signing of Kerfoot is them "setting up" their roster to be functional without Marner, because they aren't getting him at $11M.

MinnesotaFats

Aug 10, 2005
He also stays healthy. Like a said to you early, I think the Leafs (after they screwed themselves last year with Nylander and Matthews *and assumptions about Hometown discounts*) have decided they have to move on without Marner. The way they've set up their cap, the way they've structured things, they're moving on without him, and hoping for an offersheet so they can "get" those assets and they Dubas doesn't have to have "I traded a 22 year old Mitch Marner because I mismanaged the Cap" on his resume "technically"

Then why isn't it done? Everyday they wait, they risk facing an offer sheet for over $11M that blows that plan up.

Messrules11

6 Cups, elbows up.
Nov 23, 2018
:laugh: I would have believed that before they signed Kerfoot.

To me, the signing of Kerfoot is them "setting up" their roster to be functional without Marner, because they aren't getting him at $11M.
Hard to say but it did come straight from Dubas’ mouth. We’ll see soon enough.

Skolman

Feb 16, 2018
Marner.

Four first round picks are magic beans and Tavares has always been vastly overrated in my opinion.
Fair, was a question I was pondering myself.

You're definitely right about those picks being magic beans, especially if they are outside of the top 20.

Reactions: McFuhryous

McOvechking

Apr 28, 2009
Edmonton, Alberta
He scored 96 points, runs their pp, is a solid 2way player and has emerged as one of their best pk'ers.

Losing him would be a massive blow.
He makes Tavares look 1 dimensional

Marner is the Leafs' best forward.

I don't deny that Marner is their best player, I just don't see how a contending team can afford 3 players at $11M+ and still expect to have the depth to go far in the playoffs.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
Fair, was a question I was pondering myself.

You're definitely right about those picks being magic beans, especially if they are outside of the top 20.

Another poster made a solid point as well ...having 4 first round picks would be nice trade sweeteners though, depending on where they wind up from season to season- unless you're using them like Chiarelli lol (as he also referenced). Pros and cons to both sides of it, but I still keep Marner.

Reactions: frag2

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
I don't deny that Marner is their best player, I just don't see how a contending team can afford 3 players at $11M+ and still expect to have the depth to go far in the playoffs.
If you trade Nylander for that defenseman you desperately needed and managed the Cap better. The Leafs have a small advantage where players will sign there reasonably, but they have utterly ****ed that up.

Reactions: McOvechking

edmoil3

Mar 26, 2010
Seems like the GMs have an agreement to let this bulk of free agents worry through the long weekends.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Marner won't settle for less than Mathews. He also probably wants 8 years, it will push him close to McDavid money

I thought one of the issues was that he doesn't want 8 years. He wants the 5 years so he can cash in again on a massive contract when he's 27.

Honestly, I think the longer it goes without him signing an offer sheet the less likely it will end up being to happen and the more likely he ends up signing a deal the Leafs can manage with their current roster.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
Posted in my thread why I think the Leafs are set up to trade Marner for a LHD

soothsayer

Oct 27, 2009
Leafs should just trade Marner for Provorov and be done with it. (I don't see how Toronto manages to fit him in, and I'm not buying the rumor that he'll accept a 2 year deal.)

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
I thought one of the issues was that he doesn't want 8 years. He wants the 5 years so he can cash in again on a massive contract when he's 27.

Honestly, I think the longer it goes without him signing an offer sheet the less likely it will end up being to happen and the more likely he ends up signing a deal the Leafs can manage with their current roster.

Ahhh I see. Well I hope some one offersheets him at 5 years 12 mill to make things interesting. Where is Montreal when you need them?

wuzupdawk

Sep 12, 2006
Edmonton, AB
Seems like the GMs have an agreement to let this bulk of free agents worry through the long weekends.
Why would they do that? There is no incentive for any GM to collude in that way. I think it's simply reflective of the lower than expected cap. It's about the money.

It's always about the money.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
The holdup in TO is that they need to still move out a Hyman/Kapanen sized contract (~$2-$3 million) to then give Marner his $11 million.

I think they likely get it done by shifting contracts around.

An offer sheet closer to league max... say $12.5-$14 million could definitely make it harder to match but even then, a Kapanen contract + removing a couple players in the $750,000 range of the roster and they'd still fit Marner in. They likely have to run with a 22 man roster... but they could still make it work.

wuzupdawk

Sep 12, 2006
Edmonton, AB
Marner.

Four first round picks are magic beans and Tavares has always been vastly overrated in my opinion.

Nailed it. Those picks could be anywhere, but 16-32 if Marner helps get the buyer into the playoffs --- which is more than likely.

Still, Toronto will let him go because they don't care if they're a mediocre team (see Gravel, Kevin) --- at least they haven't cared for 50+ years.

Reactions: McFuhryous

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
I’d also like to add the reason I think Toronto is ready to make a move for a long term dman is that 3 of their top 4 are UFAs next summer. They can package one of the UFA’s along with Marner or Nylander to get their dman.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
I’d also like to add the reason I think Toronto is ready to make a move for a long term dman is that 3 of their top 4 are UFAs next summer. They can package one of the UFA’s along with Marner or Nylander to get their dman.
Maybe they're looking to move Marner for Werenski+ from Columbus, that would work both teams.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad