Proposal: Rumors and Proposals Thread: Top 6 Forward or Bust

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
Problem isn’t Lucic’ fitness or weight. He no longer processes the game at the speed it’s being played.

I find in the new NHL, if you have a tough guy, he better be able to contribute. Case in point? Tom Wilson. You can play this guy in the top 6 and he wont hurt ya. He might take a penalty or even suspension for a questionable hit, but they are valuable. Lucic doesn't check off these boxes anymore

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
I’m completely puzzled by how they have dealt with Marner. It’s like they are punishing him for not being willing to take a hometown discount.
Agreed, it does really have that feel. I think a bunch of the Eastern talking head/scribes have hit pieces saved and ready to go once Marner leaves. I think Dubas has decided he doesn't want to be "the guy who traded Marner" so instead he's going to have an offersheet do the work for him.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
How can the Leafs match anything over 5M per? They are out of cap space until they add players to LTIR for next season

They can’t. Even with the full LTIR from the Horton contract they only have 9 mil in space. Theoretically they could just match it and figure it out before the season starts but honestly they’d be smarter to just take the picks, sign Ferland, and trade for a defenceman. They’d be more well balanced. They traded the only player with edge that they had; bunch of creampuffs now.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
I’m completely puzzled by how they have dealt with Marner. It’s like they are punishing him for not being willing to take a hometown discount.

Sure does. I can’t remember where I read it but some Eastern media type on twitter said something along the lines of “he should be proud to be a Leaf and if he wants to stay here he should take less for the good of the team” and someone else replied with “name one time in your life you’ve taken 20% less than what you’re worth for the good of your company. That’s basically what you want Marner to do.”

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
They can’t. Even with the full LTIR from the Horton contract they only have 9 mil in space. Theoretically they could just match it and figure it out before the season starts but honestly they’d be smarter to just take the picks, sign Ferland, and trade for a defenceman. They’d be more well balanced. They traded the only player with edge that they had; bunch of creampuffs now.
That would be pretty sad for them. Marner is arguably their best player overall. A so called "contending" team walking away from a 22yr old 94 pt player. I guess serves them right for the JT signing.

Reactions: Faelko

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
That would be pretty sad for them. Marner is arguably their best player overall. A so called "contending" team walking away from a 22yr old 94 pt player. I guess serves them right for the JT signing.

I still don't get why the Leafs had such a boner for Tavares when Marner and Matthews is their future.

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
I still don't get why the Leafs had such a ***** for Tavares when Marner and Matthews is their future.
Loaded up for NOW. Showed guts so I dont blame them. Wish we had the guts to get Stone last deadline and extended him. Our playoffs push would have been a lot more interesting.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
The good thing about Islanders potentially doing an offer sheet is that Lucky Lou can just get Bettman to change the rules next year using his Lou powers and get 3 of his 1st round picks back. Because what Lou wants, Lou gets.

North

Jun 25, 2009
Sure does. I can’t remember where I read it but some Eastern media type on twitter said something along the lines of “he should be proud to be a Leaf and if he wants to stay here he should take less for the good of the team” and someone else replied with “name one time in your life you’ve taken 20% less than what you’re worth for the good of your company. That’s basically what you want Marner to do.”

Considering they didn’t have that expectation of Tavares, Matthews, or Nylander, it’s messed up that they have that expectation for Marner.

He drives a lot of offense for them and I think losing him would hurt them a lot more than they think it would.

Louis Cypher

Boys are back in town
Jun 11, 2007
I wouldn't understand it for Pulju. Wouldn't he rather try a new coach and GM here than to play for Todd again? Unless his issue is in the lockerroom?
It's not up to Jesse. If he says he will play for us then I think Holland will stop shopping. If he doesn't Holland probably doesnt care what Jesse thinks regarding who he is getting traded too and probably doesnt even say anything to his camp until it's done.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Considering they didn’t have that expectation of Tavares, Matthews, or Nylander, it’s messed up that they have that expectation for Marner.

He drives a lot of offense for them and I think losing him would hurt them a lot more than they think it would.

Marner is the heart of that team, should be captain. If Marner goes, I think this is how Matthews looks within 6 months:

tenor.gif

With less hair on his head of course

North

Jun 25, 2009
It's not up to Jesse. If he says he will play for us then I think Holland will stop shopping. If he doesn't Holland probably doesnt care what Jesse thinks regarding who he is getting traded too and probably doesnt even say anything to his camp until it's done.

Him ending up back with Todd would be just desserts for the way he and his agent have played this.

North

Jun 25, 2009
Marner is the heart of that team, should be captain. If Marner goes, I think this is how Matthews looks within 6 months:

tenor.gif

With less hair on his head of course

Don’t forget one of his shoulders would be bandaged up as well.

Defsta

Dec 1, 2004
I wouldn't understand it for Pulju. Wouldn't he rather try a new coach and GM here than to play for Todd again? Unless his issue is in the lockerroom?

His agent said it's about the locker room or you could read it between the lines. I think he explained it like "we had positive talks with Holland and Tippet about Jesse's future. But in the end the team is same, so for future of Jesse, it's time to move on elsewhere, in other team."

BudBundy

May 16, 2005
It's not even that, he's just quit, he goes through the motions. He has enough skill and he's athletic enough to "get by", but it was very apparent he's checked out otherwise.
Nailed it. You can count on one hand the number of times he actually initiated anything physical last year. If he would just impose his will he would be so much more effective and fans would get back behind him. As it stands, he dont give a rats arse. His hands have left him to the point where he cant make or receive a pass too.

Reactions: Jimmi McJenkins
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad