Proposal: Rumors and Proposals Thread: The Silence is Deafening

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
Probably a stop gap until our cap situation is not ****ed.

This makes the most sense. If it's short and cheap, it might not be a bad idea, and allow them cap space to do other things.

An "average AHLer" won the Cup this year, so a long-term contract for a goalie at this time might be a terrible idea anyway.

I say this hoping the Smith contract isn't long-term.

Reactions: guymez

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Sekera bought out, Mike Smith is our goalie, and we’re out on Donskoi and Connolly.

If we don’t land Nyquist tomorrow we’ve fallen flat on our faces here.

Reactions: KYams17

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
I reserve judgment based on a few things.

1) The contract. If it's 1 year, 1.5M or there abouts the only risk is that you get 5-10 bad starts and are looking to bury and replace him as 1B. The reward is that you might get .910 goaltender in 30-35 starts and he helps the Oilers puck movement by being the legitimate best puck moving goaltender in the league. I'll also probably mind his flopping less when it draws the damn Oilers a call for a change.

2) What they do with the cap savings they'll guarantee from going with an option like Smith, as opposed to Mrazek or equivalent. Assuming the burial of Brandon Manning and Jujhar at 1.5 or so, this puts the Oilers at 10M cap space for two or three forwards.

BudBundy

May 16, 2005
Mike Smith was not the ideal target.

Kinda weird that the Flames end up with Talbot and we end up with Smith.

At least Smith had a good playoffs....but man he was brutal during the regular season.

Please just be a one year stop gap.
On the upside, if they dress Talbot against us,we’re guaranteed an early 1-0 lead after the first shot.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
He was terribad in the first 10-15 games of the season, but he was decent down the stretch. He didn't get the starter job in the playoffs for nothing. He was the only Flame along with Bennett that even showed up in the higher pressure playoffs.

He got the job because Rittich was injured. He was ok down the stretch, and his playoffs were pretty damn good, but I wouldn’t take much stock into 5 games.

He could actually be a good fit for you guys. He does seem to do better in front of a tirefire in front of him (no offense), and his puckhandling could help your teams transition. However, he also played some of the worst hockey I’d ever seen out of a goalie when our defense was getting incerated the first month and a half learning the new system, so idk.

This, like talbot in Calgary (lmfao) is either gonna look like a great move, or end disasterous. I for one can’t wait.

Llamamoto

Nice Bison. Kind Bison. Yep.
Sep 5, 2018
Smith might make the best breakout passes on the team ... but it better be close to league min and 1 yr

If it's 1 million, and we sign Khaira and JP both to 1.1 deals, and another depth forward to 950k/1 million, and call up Jones and Perrson, we have more than 7.5 for two forward spots. That could be Johansson + Connoly/Ferland, or Donskoi + Nyquist....

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
Sekera bought out, Mike Smith is our goalie, and we’re out on Donskoi and Connolly.

If we don’t land Nyquist tomorrow we’ve fallen flat on our faces here.

They don't buy out Sekera on June 30th if they don't think they have a line on the cap space. If it were simply about the player, they would have done it weeks ago instead and carried that flexibility into the draft.

It sounds like the Oilers are out on Connolly of their own volition, which sounds to me like they have progress on bigger fish.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Your bottom 6 doesn't get you into the playoffs IMO. Lucic and Gagner are huge salary sucks on the bottom 6 too, so I dunno exactly how much you think you're adding there.

I think having actual good 2 way players in the bottom 6 does get them to the playoffs.

An essentially non-existent bottom 6 is why McDavid/Drai had to play so many minutes... and basically got the team nowhere because they barely tread water at evens +3 and +2 respectively for McD and Drai.

You do that each year and that pair will burn out from overwork as they will not want to work their asses off for an 80 pt team that's out of it by Christmas. They'll quickly resign themselves to being an also ran team and their production will drop 10-20% as well because why work your ass off when the team is crap behind you.

A "good" bottom 6.. even an "average" bottom 6 means opposing teams can't just feast on those bottom 2 lines and makes the performances of Drai/McD/Nuge actually matter and they don't get burnt out either playing more than they have to.

I absolutely think having 6 guys in the bottom 6 who can all get an expected ~10 goals plus being solid 2 way players will not only help the top 6 get more space out there... but helps team defence as well.

The bottom 6 is essentially 1/3rd of the team and that aspect of the team is completely broken currently. Absolutely what is needed is a complete overhaul there.. 6 new cheapish bodies that are capable of solid play at both ends of the ice.

Yes you have Gagner and Lucic as well as "anchors"... but those 2 aren't as big of anchors if you had 6 guys in the bottom 6 that were competent... plus you are less prone to injuries as well because there's some decent depth to move around the lineup ... betting the farm on 1 or two bigger name forwards means 1 injury pretty much puts the team where they were last season and even one regression means you haven't really moved the needle forward at all.

Volume of decent players is what's needed in the bottom 6.. rather than 1 or 2 good/great additions.

That's what is separating the Oilers from being a playoff team.. not a Nyquist or Connolly (who individually may realistically not even put up a lot more goals than what Chiasson added last season).

Reactions: McVirginOil

BigRangy

Get well soon oliver
Mar 17, 2015
Smith is good and is better than Koskinen

He was just shitty most of the year since he didn't fully recover from his injury late in the 2018 season imo.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
This makes the most sense. If it's short and cheap, it might not be a bad idea, and allow them cap space to do other things.

An "average AHLer" won the Cup this year, so a long-term contract for a goalie at this time might be a terrible idea anyway.

I say this hoping the Smith contract isn't long-term.

Short and cheap...so long as it allows for some secondary scoring options over the next few days.

McVirginOil

Jun 30, 2014
For real I don’t care about goalies. He can very good or very bad, goaltending is voodoo at this rate.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
true, but he went down hard after that and age and injury got the better of him.
the 2 worst enemies of an athlete.
The point is that the defense that already wasn't very good 2 years ago is now significantly worse than it was 2 years ago with seemingly no intention or plan to improve it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad