Proposal: Rumors and Proposals Thread: The Silence is Deafening

Status
Not open for further replies.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Between F, G and D the least of the problems is D.

Spawn has ALWAYS been wrong about the problem area of the Oilers this summer. It makes way more sense to organically grow your D when you have the pool the Oilers do and the limited cap space to address the actual worst bottom nine forwards in the NHL.

Maybe next year when they have cap flexibility, the means to escape Kris Russell and a line on someone like Jared Spurgeon do they add from the outside.
Well it's a damn good thing we have good goalies behind our porous defense.

GhostfaceWu

Shi Shaw
Feb 11, 2015
I guess the rationale is what? Defensemen can't move the puck forward so we better get a goalie who can do that instead? Oh while we are at it let us buy out a defenseman just when he started looking like a top 4 d man again and one that missed the last 2 seasons openers and extended time after but that probably had nothing to do with missing the playoffs 2 years in a row.

Reactions: Aerrol

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Well, except when he is.

Maybe that's the part about him you don't like? Inconsistency?

I guess thats why he shouldnt have been a starter like he was in Calgary.
I just checked and apparently he had groin issues last season.

All he has to do is play 25+ average games...I think thats very possible assuming his groin is fully healed. he will be playing behind a structured defensive system as well which should help.
The issue I have is relying on Koskinen for 50-55 games.

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
Mike Smith has been a legitimately good goalie for one single season in his career. Otherwise he's been a mediocre goalie his entire career.

He's now coming off his worst season of his NHL career on the best team he's ever played for and is 37 years old.

It's not inconsistency. He's bad.

Your metric for "legitimately good goaltender" seems to be elite quality starter. But the .915-esque save percentage he almost always hits is well in low-end starter ranges and they want 30 games out of him.

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
Any goalie with a sub 0.900 save percentage should get $1M or less and thank their lucky stars to even get that, but I'm guessing we are going to give Smith $3.25M based on nothing more than name recognition and the coach likes him.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Between F, G and D the least of the problems is D.

Spawn has ALWAYS been wrong about the problem area of the Oilers this summer. It makes way more sense to organically grow your D when you have the pool the Oilers do and the limited cap space to address the actual worst bottom nine forwards in the NHL.

Maybe next year when they have cap flexibility, the means to escape Kris Russell and a line on someone like Jared Spurgeon do they add from the outside.

The defense is worse today than it was yesterday.

Mike Smith is a garbage goaltender.

Holland better be a f***ing miracle worker in order to improve the forwards enough to make up for those two facts.

Reactions: Aerrol

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Mike Smith has been a legitimately good goalie for one single season in his career. Otherwise he's been a mediocre goalie his entire career.

He's now coming off his worst season of his NHL career on the best team he's ever played for and is 37 years old.

It's not inconsistency. He's bad.

Eh ...

In 7 seasons prior to the last one ... that's more than just one decent season. I wish the Oilers had goaltending of that range in the last 7 years.

Faelko

Aug 11, 2002
I would have preferred McIllheney but it sounds like he's staying out East.

Montreal it sounds like. Also sounds like Bobrovsky to FLA. Other rumours have CAR talking lots with Mrazek, my guess is they get something done. NYI will be working OT to retain Lehner after missing out on Bob.

I don’t love the Smith deal or even like it but winding up with nobody is even worse IMO.

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
Well it's a damn good thing we have good goalies behind our porous defense.

*shrugs*.

I'm not sure what you're expecting. There was no lane to address to all three of these areas in the immediate future with this cap issue. No GM would do it, and any GM that would try would throw away first round picks to dump cap and be signing long term, inflated UFA contracts in every position.

I think, by hook or crook, it's a veritable certainty the Oilers team save percentage will be better. I think it's likely that the Oilers crop of younger defenseman are fine to make gains and improve team depth at defense. But what I don't think is that the Oilers have the horses to dress a second line without spending money they did not have with a 3M dollar goaltender or UFA defenseman.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
I mean I'm not expecting him to hit many bonuses but I guess you have to plan around them regardless.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
There’s no denying Smith had a bad year last year, but he was a quality starter for 7 years before that. If he can even slightly bounce back, he can at least out play Koskinen. He’s also the best puck moving goalie in the league. Something that should really help our team in transition. The key is just that we better not be giving him like 4 million or something.

Edit: there we go. 2 million and then potential bonuses. Great signing if that’s accurate

Paralyzer

Hyman >>> Matthews
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North
People obviously can't read:

potential to earn UP TO $2 million more in performance bonuses

So it's 2M unless he earns the bonuses. At this point, you want them to earn the bonus because then you know he is winning us games.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad