Proposal: Rumors and Proposals Thread: The Silence is Deafening

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yeah15

2nd Tier Fan
Mar 15, 2007
Sekera bought out, Mike Smith is our goalie, and we’re out on Donskoi and Connolly.

If we don’t land Nyquist tomorrow we’ve fallen flat on our faces here.
It's probably a very good thing that we're out on Donskoi/Connolly/etc, I'm hoping it's because Holland is being rational and not chasing after middle 6 guys for 5+ million.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
A bad old goalie who's also a complete douche? Looking like a fun year next season.

At least there will finally be somebody in the org who will tell the defense that they suck.

Reactions: KYams17 and Yeah15

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Well, we could just as easily be saying:

"Petr Mrazek? lmao
Robin Lehner? lmao
Curtis McElhinney? lmao"
All three of those goalies are better than Smith.

There's no upside to Mike Smith. He was terrible last season on a great team and is old as dirt.

Seriously, a 37 year old who put up a sub .900 season on the 2nd best team in the league and there is people who think this isn't terrible?

Reactions: Aerrol

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Smith is good and is better than Koskinen

He was just ****ty most of the year since he didn't fully recover from his injury late in the 2018 season imo.

You got a lot of nerve bringing in some optimism into this thread.
What's your problem anyway? ;)

I actually didnt know that Smith had a significant injury in 2018.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
The point is that the defense that already wasn't very good 2 years ago is now significantly worse than it was 2 years ago with seemingly no intention or plan to improve it.
This right here.

Unless the plan is to inject more rookies into the lineup. Because that's worked so well.

SDig14

Feb 19, 2010
Edmonton, AB
Well, we could just as easily be saying:

"Petr Mrazek? lmao
Robin Lehner? lmao
Curtis McElhinney? lmao
Semyon Varlamov? lmao"
Hmm, perhaps people thought we were in on a trade for Vasilevsky or something.

We signed a starter, right or wrong. Now we are stuck short term with a less tha ideal option either way.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
He got the job because Rittich was injured. He was ok down the stretch, and his playoffs were pretty damn good, but I wouldn’t take much stock into 5 games.

He could actually be a good fit for you guys. He does seem to do better in front of a tirefire in front of him (no offense), and his puckhandling could help your teams transition. However, he also played some of the worst hockey I’d ever seen out of a goalie when our defense was getting incerated the first month and a half learning the new system, so idk.

This, like talbot in Calgary (lmfao) is either gonna look like a great move, or end disasterous. I for one can’t wait.

He allowed 25 goals I think in his last 13 games in the regular season, which is a GAA of 1.9 ... that's not too shabby at all, and then was the only Flame outside of Bennett worth a damn in the playoffs.

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
All three of those goalies are better than Smith.

There's no upside to Mike Smith. He was terrible last season on a great team and is old as dirt.

Yes, in your opinion. If the others had been signed (probably for a lot more money), we'd be hearing the same thing.

I don't see the issue if it's a short, inexpensive contract.

Can you imagine the outrage if they signed Lehner to a 5 year, $20 million contract?

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
So we are getting old man Smith. And now apparently we are hot and heavy after Perry.

Man, definitely sounds like a team trying to rebuild and shelter rookies. Wonder who we are trading for picks.

Reactions: Aerrol

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
Again, the risk on Smith is he sucks in 5-10 starts and they're playing Shane Starrett or shopping in the always open goaltender market.

What they do with the money they save by paying Smith 1.x instead of 3.x for Mrazek. I would have preferred McIllheney but it sounds like he's staying out East.

Reactions: Mcnotloilersfan

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Yes, in your opinion. If the others had been signed (probably for a lot more money), we'd be hearing the same thing.

I don't see the issue if it's a short, inexpensive contract.

Can you imagine the outrage if they signed Lehner to a 5 year, $20 million contract?
It's pretty obvious what the issue with Smith is. Regardless of if it is a short, inexpensive contract, he's not a good goaltender.

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
It's pretty obvious what the issue with Smith is. Regardless of if it is a short, inexpensive contract, he's not a good goaltender.

Well, except when he is.

Maybe that's the part about him you don't like? Inconsistency?

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Literally the worst goalie yet could get, just because he played for Tippett years ago. SMH

I mean

7 of his last 8 years are .910+ save percentage

1.9 GAA down the stretch for the Flames last year + very good in the playoffs.

Is familiar with Tippett's system.

Does he have 30-35 games left in the tank? Guess we'll find out.

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
Between F, G and D the least of the problems is D.

Spawn has ALWAYS been wrong about the problem area of the Oilers this summer. It makes way more sense to organically grow your D when you have the pool the Oilers do and the limited cap space to address the actual worst bottom nine forwards in the NHL.

Maybe next year when they have cap flexibility, the means to escape Kris Russell and a line on someone like Jared Spurgeon do they add from the outside.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Well, except when he is.

Maybe that's the part about him you don't like? Inconsistency?
Mike Smith has been a legitimately good goalie for one single season in his career. Otherwise he's been a mediocre goalie his entire career.

He's now coming off his worst season of his NHL career on the best team he's ever played for and is 37 years old.

It's not inconsistency. He's bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad