Rumor: Rumors and Proposals Thread | Spector: Multi-Year Kassian Extension Prior to Trade Deadline?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rufus Aslegard

Jun 15, 2019
I think Neal would be ok playing third line while getting some top 6 minutes when needed and pp Time

Neal just needs to get some points and feel he is contributing.

He would be fine playing third line as long as he got regular PP time.

Him and Smith probably have some additional status being older veteran players in the locker room. This helps Neal as well.

fuswald

I'd Be Fired
Dec 10, 2008
Edmonton
Yeah I think you’re right but I wouldn’t call Lavoie, Jones, or the second scrubs. Jones has top 4 potential and great pedigree. Lavoie fell in his draft but was considered by many a 1st round talent who is French. This is a deep draft as well according to many.

Chiasson is a scrub yes, but a French scrub and needed to offset the salary.
problem with dudes who are from the far East?

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
Some people will never like him (combination of Hall trade + 2 subpar seasons + lack of offence) but as far as I'm concerned he's a big part of this team. He's been back to his rock solid defensive play this season, which we haven't seen since the 2016-2017 playoff season. It would be a mistake to trade the guy before the playoffs. He's big, nasty, and can shut down top players and play big minutes. Also on a pretty good contract. As far as I'm concerned he's here to stay, at least for this year, and hopefully longer.
Thanks for your feedback.

Reactions: ujju2

OfCorsiDid

54 goals? Must've been the money!
Mar 20, 2017
Toronto, ON
The Calgary Turtles......the purple mile....The turtle line....
Why not show up to the next game in a purple turtle outfit ....Tkachuk in white letters...
Calgary needs a new mascot anyways...

92C7E880-7B06-4E51-8CDE-4939D283DC0B.gif

Nostradumbass

Divinity
Jan 1, 2007
What do you disagree with? Guys like Russell and Khaira are easily moveable assets. We could sign any big name UFA if inclined.

E5I1WzO.png
You're missing a true backup goalie, 2 forwards, our buyout cap hits, Lucic retention, and have paid your "top pairing" RHD less than Kassian. And you have assumed that we've moved Russell and JJ for nothing.

ThreeOfAPerfectPair

Oct 26, 2017
Edmonton
You're missing a true backup goalie, 2 forwards, our buyout cap hits, Lucic retention, and have paid your "top pairing" RHD less than Kassian. And you have assumed that we've moved Russell and JJ for nothing.

$10.2M available for a back-up and an 13th forward. Buyout's and retention are already added. Not sure what your point is about Bear, both sides are likely to push for a bridge deal. Khaira would be claimed on waivers and Russell only commands $̶1̶M $1.5M in salary next season after his bonus his payed out, far from unmovable if paired with a minor asset.

Last edited:

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
What do you disagree with? Guys like Russell and Khaira are easily moveable assets. We could sign any big name UFA if inclined.

E5I1WzO.png

If I was Holland, I would make a serious effort to move Neal this summer, selling high while I still could. That opens your cap to give a guy like Hall an offer.

Love Neal, love how he's rebounded, but I think this is as good as it gets, and you have to expect he's on a decline for the rest of his deal. This may be the only chance to convince a GM to take him without having to retain much cap.

Definitely agree on moving Russell. Shouldn't be expensive to move him with a 1.5M salary with 4M cap hit after his bonus is paid.

Reactions: McTedi

MaxR11

Mar 28, 2017
While this article isn't ripe with rock solid statistical analysis it certainly reinforces what many Devils and Oilers fans, myself included, have noticed throughout his career.

In that game today alone Hall got a goal but was minus 5 and a big part of why the Coyotes lost.

Ya, the article has some small sample size but i think in general it's a microcosm of Hall's career and some of what i've been saying for many many years. He's an ok player as far as being able to generate some offence but you don't win with a guy like that in the NHL. Who was that player that said the Oil were easy to play against in the Hall days because they played like a Jr team (a Habs player i recall)? This is/was hall's game. It might have success in the Jrs where everyone else was also unstructured but in the NHL with the parity you HAVE to play more structured, defensively responsible and the right way.

Even Connor, who's 10x the talent of Hall has games of looking bad when he strays from the structure and basics. Hall likes to often stray from the team structure and do stuff like not be in proper position (ie in the d zone give his dman an outlet on his wing boards etc). He likes to be all over the ice and this throws the other 4 guys off, especially defensively. He makes horrendous turn overs trying to do things beyond his abilities (carrying the puck too much especially in his own end)... saw several bad ones today.

It's a pickle for him... yes he has some talent and people regard him as that but he's very much overrated and therein lies the problems. They and he expect a way of play and certain things from him (ie lugging the puck, running a pp etc) but he's just simply not skilled enough, good enough to be THE GUY. He needs to be more of a secondary guy who also plays the right way consistently (chip in 50+ pts and be strong forechecking and defensively). Not sure at this point whether he'd accept that role or not though.

Today was vintage Hall..... scores a nothing goal (a chessy seeing eye shot), put another pt in the "fancy" stats bag for him, numerous turnovers being dumb or trying to do too much, several real lack of urgency defensive efforts, mediocre effort in a HUGE game for the team (not good as a leader), and a big ol dash 5. Glad he's doing that for our rivals and not us anymore. Holland better not get his a** back here.

Last edited:

replacement

Oct 20, 2018
The bye week is interesting, according to Tippett there's more practice time now. I wonder if teams wanted to wait until the bye so they could get a couple practices with their new guys before the playoff run starts for real.

The picture is already pretty clear, the sellers are mostly set. Minny might have convinced themselves they're still in the hunt tonight. With things being as tight as they are in both conferences, some team is going to tip that first domino early.

The Oilers have to be on the lookout for one more veteran d-man. When Klef got hit in the hand there, I know your hearts sank just like mine. Jones and Bear still need a little support. There are guys out there and they would be cheap. I like Trevor Daley, Mark Borowiecki, or Brenden Dillon.

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
The bye week is interesting, according to Tippett there's more practice time now. I wonder if teams wanted to wait until the bye so they could get a couple practices with their new guys before the playoff run starts for real.

The picture is already pretty clear, the sellers are mostly set. Minny might have convinced themselves they're still in the hunt tonight. With things being as tight as they are in both conferences, some team is going to tip that first domino early.

The Oilers have to be on the lookout for one more veteran d-man. When Klef got hit in the hand there, I know your hearts sank just like mine. Jones and Bear still need a little support. There are guys out there and they would be cheap. I like Trevor Daley, Mark Borowiecki, or Brenden Dillon.

Honestly I don't think we're missing a defenceman, I just think Persson needs to be back up with the big club and Benning needs to return.

Klefbom-Larsson
Nurse-Bear
Russell-Jones
Benning/Persson

It's not spectacular, but I think there is enough depth there. On the right side, Persson can step into the top-4 in case of injury (he was fine in the top-4 earlier this season imo). On the left you have Russell and Jones, and while neither should be in the top-4 long-term, the team can make do with those two in that spot in case of injury.

Reactions: ConnorMcMullet

replacement

Oct 20, 2018
If I was Holland, I would make a serious effort to move Neal this summer, selling high while I still could. That opens your cap to give a guy like Hall an offer.

Love Neal, love how he's rebounded, but I think this is as good as it gets, and you have to expect he's on a decline for the rest of his deal. This may be the only chance to convince a GM to take him without having to retain much cap.

I definitely get the sense Neal isn't sticking around. He sits second in the entire league in powerplay goals, yet he's been supplanted by Chiasson to start powerplays. That should tell us something.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Neal as a chip at the deadline. They'd need to find another effective winger though. Maybe you see if you can pry both Pageau and Connor Brown from Ottawa? That'd be serious assets, but it would be worth it, given the RFA status.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
San Jose is really going to give up a lottery pick to Ottawa, aren’t they?

replacement

Oct 20, 2018
Honestly I don't think we're missing a defenceman, I just think Persson needs to be back up with the big club and Benning needs to return.

Klefbom-Larsson
Nurse-Bear
Russell-Jones
Benning/Persson

It's not spectacular, but I think there is enough depth there. On the right side, Persson can step into the top-4 in case of injury (he was fine in the top-4 earlier this season imo). On the left you have Russell and Jones, and while neither should be in the top-4 long-term, the team can make do with those two in that spot in case of injury.

We gotta be more realistic. The fact Persson is playing in the A right now (and not doing so hot down there either) means he wasn't fine early in the season. He's a first year player, no GM is going to say, "we have two very young d-men who need support through a tough playoff run, so let's task a guy with 13 NHL games to give them that stability".

I hope Benning can return at 100%, but even then... If I'm Holland, I'm trying to find a guy that's in game shape, has lots of experience, and can just be solid.

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
We gotta be more realistic. The fact Persson is playing in the A right now (and not doing so hot down there either) means he wasn't fine early in the season. He's a first year player, no GM is going to say, "we have two very young d-men who need support through a tough playoff run, so let's task a guy with 13 NHL games to give them that stability".

I hope Benning can return at 100%, but even then... If I'm Holland, I'm trying to find a guy that's in game shape, has lots of experience, and can just be solid.

Maybe I'm just over-cautious, but I'm generally not a fan of adding older defencemen at the TDL for a playoff run. Too many bad experiences as a Caps fan. I'd rather just run with the group we have, maybe add a 3C a la Desharnais.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
They very likely also find a way to move their own second into the 18 to twenty range
They could easily end up with
Byfield
one of Drysdale or Askarov
one of C. Zary or J. Perreault

I mean there’s a chance they end up with Lafreniere and Byfield.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad