Rumor: Rumors and Proposals Thread | Spector: Multi-Year Kassian Extension Prior to Trade Deadline?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
I disagree. Neal pouted in Calgary because he literally didn't get a chance. He had like one or two bad games and got booted down to the bottom 6 and forgotten about. In the times Neal has gotten pushed down here he seems to work harder for a while because he knows he, if playing well, will get time up there.

I hope you're right.

At any rate it's good to be talking with the optimistic version of you again. :)

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
I hope you're right.

At any rate it's good to be talking with the optimistic version of you again. :)
I've just decided to ignore my negative thoughts and only mention my good ones. These positive ones have always been posted, just drowned out by the negative ones.

Reactions: Cloned

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Even if you rubbish this year for Kassian as an 'outlier', Kassian of last season would get 3M per in open market. Winger with size speed, 15G, 190hits who can kill penalties and move up an down the lineup as needed.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
I've just decided to ignore my negative thoughts and only mention my good ones. These positive ones have always been posted, just drowned out by the negative ones.

I've been guilty of calling you out too often when you post "negative" thoughts. I hope that hasn't made you feel uncomfortable or unwilling to post here.

My new year's HF resolution was to try and make this board a less toxic place to be, even when the Oilers are losing, and me calling other posters out for negative thoughts was a part of the problem.

Reactions: CycloneSweep

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Why would it?

If the Oilers take $2-2.5 million to the free agent market they can come back with a 20-30 point guy.

We just witnessed this scenario play out with both Maroon and Chiasson.
But we don't need a 20-30 point guy, we need a cheaper guy that can dominate 5v5 with McDavid, Kassian is doing that and if he can do that for under 3.5 that's a steal. I mean we can keep sending guys who work with McDavid to the curb and hope we can again find someone who is half decent or we can finally keep a guy who is working and spend the time and money improving the rest of the roster

Reactions: Ck1

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
But we don't need a 20-30 point guy, we need a cheaper guy that can dominate 5v5 with McDavid, Kassian is doing that and if he can do that for under 3.5 that's a steal. I mean we can keep sending guys who work with McDavid to the curb and hope we can again find someone who is half decent or we can finally keep a guy who is working and spend the time and money improving the rest of the roster

Well finding someone that can play with McDavid is the easiest job in hockey.

Makes sense to me to grind those guys on price so that the Oilers have more money to fill roles that are more difficult to fill.

Why pay 3.5 for something we've been getting at 2 or less? Save that 1.5 for something we actually need.

Reactions: Nostradumbass

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013

Makes sense to me to grind those guys on price so that the Oilers have more money to fill roles that are more difficult to fill.

Why pay 3.5 for something we've been getting at 2 or less? Save that 1.5 for something we actually need.
Easiest job in hockey that Eberle, Puljujarvi, Spooner, Strome, Jokinen, Lucic couldn't keep. Doesn't look like Neal can keep it either.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017

Ahh yes easiest job in hockey something that most players can't keep for more than a handful of games.

Reactions: Homesick

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada

The positive thing right now is that we know there's one guy on this roster who always works really well with McDavid. The goal over the next little while should be to find multiple players who can work well without him.

When it comes to Kassian, the $1-1.5m bump he gets overall probably doesn't hurt our chances of doing that.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Even if you rubbish this year for Kassian as an 'outlier', Kassian of last season would get 3M per in open market. Winger with size speed, 15G, 190hits who can kill penalties and move up an down the lineup as needed.

Yep. The Kassian of '16-'17 would too.
The people who don't like Kassian tend to point to his awful season of two years ago and the struggles to start last season but ignore that he was a big catalyst for the Oilers in their playoff season (a huge catalyst actually) and was their best bottom 6 player last season before being promoted to the top line.

He's not some 4th line plug, he's a power forward who can skate and has some skill that can play anywhere in the lineup and be effective, not to mention the physicality and emotional leadership. That's worth 3-3.5m in a rising cap world IMO. I'd prefer a 3 year deal but a 4th year isn't a deal breaker for me.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Yep. The Kassian of '16-'17 would too.
The people who don't like Kassian tend to point to his awful season of two years ago and the struggles to start last season but ignore that he was a big catalyst for the Oilers in their playoff season and was their best bottom 6 player last season before being promoted to the top line.

He's not some 4th line plug, he's a power forward who can skate and has some skill that can play anywhere in the lineup and be effective, not to mention the physicality and emotional leadership. That's worth 3-3.5m in a rising cap world IMO.
Ryan Reaves makes 2.75 and is a consistent sub 20 point 4th liner. Even at 3-3.5 Kassian wouldn't hurt us and of he did, his contract wouldn't be hard to move. Hell we got Neal for Lucic

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
IMO, it took until the end of year 2 of his current 3 year deal before Kassian started giving a consistent effort again. I honestly worry about his ability to motivate himself if he gets another long term deal. The best Kassian has come in end of contract years for us. Gonna be an old timer by the end of a 4 year deal hehe.

Reactions: Nostradumbass

Ringo13

Jul 9, 2007
Looking at what we have I'm convinced that our biggest need is a 3C.
I would love to see
L1: McDavid-Kassian-Neal
L2: Draisaitl-Yamamoto-RNH
L3: Pageau-Benson-Puljujaarvi
L4: Sheehan-Archibald-Russell

D1: Nurse-Bear
D2: Klefbom-Larsson
D3: Jones-Whichever young d is ready

This would be to start next season of course.

So perhaps Khaira Samurokov 2nd for Pageau?

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Ryan Reaves makes 2.75 and is a consistent sub 20 point 4th liner. Even at 3-3.5 Kassian wouldn't hurt us and of he did, his contract wouldn't be hard to move. Hell we got Neal for Lucic

To be fair, Holland won't completely abuse the trust of another GM like he did with his "friend" Tre.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007

Yep. I don't think that extra $750K (if it winds up being a $3.5 million cap hit) is going to sting the Oilers like it's being made out to be. I love Kassian a ton, but if he gets anywhere near "The Russell", that'll be hard to stomach...especially with expansion on the horizon. That's another forced spot to expansion protect if he has any kind of NTC/NMC.

duul

Jun 21, 2010
I don't want to speculate TOO much further than I already have re: Hall, but...

If I had to 'guess', Holland already knows Hall is very keen on coming here in the offseason. So factor that addition hypothetically into his decision making in the coming weeks up to the TDL. We want to get better and make a push right now for sure, but perhaps he won't be as aggressive in finding upgrades at wing right now than we would like.

Hall doesn't fit into Arizona's style of play at all, but it's hilarious reading through this thread and having people talking about how bad Hall has been. Dude is at a PPG since being traded to Arizona, and was near a PPG in Jersey this year.

He's an absolute stud. Throw him on any line and through sheer willpower he will force points to be piled up. Very few players in the league are capable of that.

duul

Jun 21, 2010
Also, please get James Neal out of our top 6. He is atrocious 5v5. He is one of the few players who has struggled to put up points 5 on 5 with McDavid. I know he put one up tonight, but God damn does he look brutal out there.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
I don't want to speculate TOO much further than I already have re: Hall, but...

If I had to 'guess', Holland already knows Hall is very keen on coming here in the offseason. So factor that addition hypothetically into his decision making in the coming weeks up to the TDL. We want to get better and make a push right now for sure, but perhaps he won't be as aggressive in finding upgrades at wing right now than we would like.

Hall doesn't fit into Arizona's style of play at all, but it's hilarious reading through this thread and having people talking about how bad Hall has been. Dude is at a PPG since being traded to Arizona, and was near a PPG in Jersey this year.

He's an absolute stud. Throw him on any line and through sheer willpower he will force points to be piled up. Very few players in the league are capable of that.

He is also giving up a ton of HDSC against and might actually be singlehandedly responsible for turning an elite defensive team (the Coyotes) into an average one.

duul

Jun 21, 2010
He is also giving up a ton of HDSC against and might actually be singlehandedly responsible for turning an elite defensive team (the Coyotes) into an average one.
Can you post where you get that data? I'd be interested to take a look at that stuff.

To be fair, wingers have very little responsibility regarding defensive zone acumen, no?

edit: He's also playing with Dvorak and Garland, who I can't imagine are very good defensively at all either, but I might be wrong.

oil Leaks

The Ultimate Decoy
Jul 5, 2011
Also, please get James Neal out of our top 6. He is atrocious 5v5. He is one of the few players who has struggled to put up points 5 on 5 with McDavid. I know he put one up tonight, but God damn does he look brutal out there.

Yeah, especially with his lackadaisical defence

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad