Rumor: Rumors and Proposals Thread | Spector: Multi-Year Kassian Extension Prior to Trade Deadline?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BudBundy

May 16, 2005
Ya, the article has some small sample size but i think in general it's a microcosm of Hall's career and some of what i've been saying for many many years. He's an ok player as far as being able to generate some offence but you don't win with a guy like that in the NHL. Who was that player that said the Oil were easy to play against in the Hall days because they played like a Jr team (a Habs player i recall)? This is/was hall's game. It might have success in the Jrs where everyone else was also unstructured but in the NHL with the parity you HAVE to play more structured, defensively responsible and the right way.

Even Connor, who's 10x the talent of Hall has games of looking bad when he strays from the structure and basics. Hall likes to often stray from the team structure and do stuff like not be in proper position (ie in the d zone give his dman an outlet on his wing boards etc). He likes to be all over the ice and this throws the other 4 guys off, especially defensively. He makes horrendous turn overs trying to do things beyond his abilities (carrying the puck too much especially in his own end)... saw several bad ones today.

It's a pickle for him... yes he has some talent and people regard him as that but he's very much overrated and therein lies the problems. They and he expect a way of play and certain things from him (ie lugging the puck, running a pp etc) but he's just simply not skilled enough, good enough to be THE GUY. He needs to be more of a secondary guy who also plays the right way consistently (chip in 50+ pts and be strong forechecking and defensively). Not sure at this point whether he'd accept that role or not though.

Today was vintage Hall..... scores a nothing goal (a chessy seeing eye shot), put another pt in the "fancy" stats bag for him, numerous turnovers being dumb or trying to do too much, several real lack of urgency defensive efforts, mediocre effort in a HUGE game for the team (not good as a leader), and a big ol dash 5. Glad he's doing that for our rivals and not us anymore. Holland better not get his a** back here.
Lol. We were all wondering when you were going to crawl out from under your rock.

Last edited:
Reactions: McXLNC97

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Hopefully getting blown out by Chicago galvanizes the Leafs into doing something stupid.

They’re going to miss the playoffs if they don’t fix their defence and three rookies and Marincin/Ceci/Dermott/Holl needs a *lot* of fixing.

Benning for Johnsson straight up? We know Dubas likes Benning.

Reactions: Apathetic

duul

Jun 21, 2010
Hopefully getting blown out by Chicago galvanizes the Leafs into doing something stupid.

They’re going to miss the playoffs if they don’t fix their defence and three rookies and Marincin/Ceci/Dermott/Holl needs a *lot* of fixing.

Lmao. If that deal goes through, Holland will be a God. Let us pray...

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
For those complaining about Chiasson's contract - why do you think it's so bad? $2M/yr for the role + points he puts up is exactly what he should be paid

I feel im in the smallest of camps when it comes to being pro-chiasson.

His shot is ok. His deflections are ok. He is chippy and screens well. His interviews are the tops. Good size and can forecheck etc.

He is a little hit and miss and slumps but im a fan of chiasson if there is such a thing.

Reactions: Oilhawks

BudBundy

May 16, 2005
I feel im in the smallest of camps when it comes to being pro-chiasson.

His shot is ok. His deflections are ok. He is chippy and screens well. His interviews are the tops. Good size and can forecheck etc.

He is a little hit and miss and slumps but im a fan of chiasson if there is such a thing.
I like him too. He is a big body who skates well enough and he just goes out and does all the little things well. He’ll play the body and get you 10/15 goals a year. That has a place on this team, especially if we get to the playoffs and the going gets heavier. Just dont expect 20 goals every year.

Reactions: Oilhawks

BudBundy

May 16, 2005

I cant see them missing the playoffs with that much firepower, but lol Dubas must be sweating with his current D and what his blueline is going to look like next year. With our secondary scoring coming along much better and the team playing well, Holland shouldnt do anything that isnt a clear win trade going forward.

Reactions: Anarchism

Anarchism

John Henry
May 23, 2019
northern alberta

Dubas might LOL....but dont under estimate Shanahan....

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
I cant see them missing the playoffs with that much firepower, but lol Dubas must be sweating with his current D and what his blueline is going to look like next year. With our secondary scoring coming along much better and the team playing well, Holland shouldnt do anything that isnt a clear win trade going forward.

they’re out right now and IMO Carolina is too good to miss. They’re in a lot of trouble. Rielly was the lynchpin to their D and he’s gone for months now.

I would agree though that unless it’s a clear win, maybe doing nothing is the right call, especially with guys I’d consider to be B options like Pageau expected to return first rounders.

Anarchism

John Henry
May 23, 2019
northern alberta
I like him too. He is a big body who skates well enough and he just goes out and does all the little things well. He’ll play the body and get you 10/15 goals a year. That has a place on this team, especially if we get to the playoffs and the going gets heavier. Just dont expect 20 goals every year.
I like Chiasson too ....and he is relatively worth his money ....sadly in this cap world this type of player is being replaced by RFA type players....its clear that the players at the top get the lions share and the bottom is filled by those making less money or developing players moving up....

Anarchism

John Henry
May 23, 2019
northern alberta
they’re out right now and IMO Carolina is too good to miss. They’re in a lot of trouble. Rielly was the lynchpin to their D and he’s gone for months now.

I would agree though that unless it’s a clear win, maybe doing nothing is the right call, especially with guys I’d consider to be B options like Pageau expected to return first rounders.
Doing nothing is the most dangerous for us....
Holland couldnt bring himself to overpay in the offseason for Connelly or Donksi....he knew we needed to split the lines and would need a 1LW....but didnt want to appear losing that deal...

Our situation is a long way from what Detroit's was....Holland will never be Trader Bob....but we have 3 holes to fill(LOL) and no clear assets in the organization for them....
He needs to fill one of those now long term ....there is lots of opportunity right now...He needs to mentally get on this and overpay a bit if he must...

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Lmao. If that deal goes through, Holland will be a God. Let us pray...
I don't think that deal is nearly so far fetched as some might. Toronto's right side is a disaster and it will be worse next year since they almost surely lose Barrie and Ceci. Holl is a 27 year old rookie who had some success playing mostly bottom pairing minutes. Everyone got all excited and then he re-signed and was eventually moved up the food chain. The Leafs went on a bit of a roll but have fallen back to earth. Justin Holl is now their top pairing RHD right now and we saw how well he played in that roll.

Benning is at least a guy with an NHL level track record. He's not a top pairing guy but he could be a passible #4 if they pair him with Muzzin next year. (Assuming they do re-sign Muzzin). He also a lot more physical than any Leaf defenseman which is something they might like. Straight-up Benning is not worth Johnsson but this deal also saves the Leafs $1.5M in cap space which for them is huge. As it is today, when Muzzin and Riley in the Leafs, are over the cap on a 23 man roster so they may have to do something a bit rash. Probably have to add a pick from the Oilers to make it work but I don't think Benning for Johnsson is that far off as a foundation. Johnsson is a small winger with 16 points making $3.4M. Leaf fans seem to think he would bring back a sure fire top 4 defenseman, or a 1st, or a blue chip. But frankly I don't see his value being anywhere close to that since he is a second line/third line tweener on most NHL teams.

Last edited:
Reactions: Spawn

Nostradumbass

Divinity
Jan 1, 2007
Holland couldnt bring himself to overpay in the offseason for Connelly or Donksi....he knew we needed to split the lines and would need a 1LW....but didnt want to appear losing that deal...

Our situation is a long way from what Detroit's was....Holland will never be Trader Bob....but we have 3 holes to fill(LOL) and no clear assets in the organization for them....
He needs to fill one of those now long term ....there is lots of opportunity right now...He needs to mentally get on this and overpay a bit if he must...
We had no money.

Anarchism

John Henry
May 23, 2019
northern alberta
I don't think that deal is nearly so far fetched as some might. Toronto's right side is a disaster and it will be worse next year since they almost surely lose Barrie and Ceci. Holl is a 27 year old rookie who had some success playing mostly bottom pairing minutes. Everyone got all excited and then he re-signed and was eventually moved up the food chain. The Leafs went on a bit of a roll but have fallen back to earth. Justin Holl is now their top pairing RHD right now and we saw how well he played in that roll.

Benning is at least a guy with an NHL level track record. He's not a top pairing guy but he could be a passible #4 if they pair him with Muzzin next year. (Assuming they do re-sign Muzzin). He also a lot more physical than any Leaf defenseman which is something they might like. Straight-up Benning is not worth Johnsson but this deal also saves the Leafs $1.5M in cap space which for them is huge. As it is today, when Muzzin and Riley are over the cap on a 23 man roster so they may have to do something a bit rash. Probably have to add a pick from the Oilers to make it work but I don't think Benning for Johnsson is that far off as a foundation. Johnsson is a small winger with 16 points making $3.4M. Leaf fans seem to think he would bring back a sure fire top 4 defenseman, or a 1st, or a blue chip. But frankly I don't see his value being anywhere close to that since he is a second line/third line tweener on most NHL teams.
First Andreas first full year was last year.....he scored 43 points in 73 games playing from the third line (20 of those points were goals).....this year with the way TO is built his time got reduced....
But what Andreas brings is speed and hands and willingness to play inside and he is very good defensively...these are all qualities McDavid can take advantage of ...with Andreas always going back hard it means less legs for McDavid ...which means he is fresher for the third period and on the PP...

Second Shanahan not an idiot....the management there for sure is a little desperate on D and we can take advantage....dont think they will trade sapphires for pig iron....(that might be a little extreme)

Anarchism

John Henry
May 23, 2019
northern alberta
We had no money.
Cap plus 10...easy to manipulate opening day roster.....look at the machinations of 3 or 4 clubs at the top....and we wouldnt have had to do anywhere near that....sit down now and figure out how much cap space you could make right now if you had to....quite a lot with some minor juggling....

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton

Benning is at least a guy with an NHL level track record. He's not a top pairing guy but he could be a passible #4 if they pair him with Muzzin next year. (Assuming they do re-sign Muzzin). He also a lot more physical than any Leaf defenseman which is something they might like. Straight-up Benning is not worth Johnsson but this deal also saves the Leafs $1.5M in cap space which for them is huge. As it is today, when Muzzin and Riley are over the cap on a 23 man roster so they may have to do something a bit rash. Probably have to add a pick from the Oilers to make it work but I don't think Benning for Johnsson is that far off as a foundation. Johnsson is a small winger with 16 points making $3.4M. Leaf fans seem to think he would bring back a sure fire top 4 defenseman, or a 1st, or a blue chip. But frankly I don't see his value being anywhere close to that since he is a second line/third line tweener on most NHL teams.

Nailed it.

Johnsson is a tweener who plays with elite players and puts up middling numbers. Benning is a strong 3rd pair RHD. Not sure why there is a discrepancy in their value.

Real talk

Andreas Johnsson has 10 points at 5v5 in just under 500 minutes where he has been attached at the hip to Auston Matthews and William Nylander.

Joakim Nygard has 7 points at 5v5 in just over 300 minutes where his most common linemates are Riley Sheahan and Alex Chaisson.

I think Johnsson could be a good depth add for the Oilers. But he's not the player some make him out to be.

BudBundy

May 16, 2005

Doing nothing is dangerous? How so? We arent a clear-cut cup contender and we dont have anyone of significance coming up as a UFA in the offseason, so bulking up for a one-shot run doesn’t seem smart. We are in a dead heat for 1st in our division and some really nice things are happening with our depth scoring. If Yamamoto keeps playing well and fills #2RW, and Benning comes back strong to shore up #3RHD and shift Russell back to #3 LHD, our only obvious position to upgrade is #3C. Our prospect pool, especially at forward is paper thin beyond Lavoie. I’d rather keep our picks/assets and see who shakes loose in the offseason than blow our wad now. McDavid has to be happy with how the season is going. What is the panic?

BudBundy

May 16, 2005

Benning is at least a guy with an NHL level track record. He's not a top pairing guy but he could be a passible #4 if they pair him with Muzzin next year. (Assuming they do re-sign Muzzin). He also a lot more physical than any Leaf defenseman which is something they might like. Straight-up Benning is not worth Johnsson but this deal also saves the Leafs $1.5M in cap space which for them is huge. As it is today, when Muzzin and Riley in the Leafs, are over the cap on a 23 man roster so they may have to do something a bit rash. Probably have to add a pick from the Oilers to make it work but I don't think Benning for Johnsson is that far off as a foundation. Johnsson is a small winger with 16 points making $3.4M. Leaf fans seem to think he would bring back a sure fire top 4 defenseman, or a 1st, or a blue chip. But frankly I don't see his value being anywhere close to that since he is a second line/third line tweener on most NHL teams.
Ya I dont feel any need to take on Johnsson either.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
First Andreas first full year was last year.....he scored 43 points in 73 games playing from the third line (20 of those points were goals).....this year with the way TO is built his time got reduced....
His time on ice has not been reduced. He's playing 3 minutes per game more this season than last and has spent 85% of his time at 5v5 this season with Matthews.

Reactions: belair

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
I definitely get the sense Neal isn't sticking around. He sits second in the entire league in powerplay goals, yet he's been supplanted by Chiasson to start powerplays. That should tell us something.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Neal as a chip at the deadline. They'd need to find another effective winger though. Maybe you see if you can pry both Pageau and Connor Brown from Ottawa? That'd be serious assets, but it would be worth it, given the RFA status.

Neal's contract is immovable. Nobody is taking that contract without the Oilers adding a ton of sweeteners.
Hell, it took a 1st to move 1 year of Marleau. Neal is undoubtedly sticking around for a couple of years unless they buy him out.

Russell is the contract that can realistically be moved this off-season and I don't think that will be easy either especially with the modified NTC.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Benning is a sheltered #6, he has always gotten torched when playing on a 2nd pairing. The reason why he has played better this season is because Tippett lowered his minutes. I don't see why Dubas would have any interest in trading Johnsson for a #6. Larsson is their target I'd imagine.
Cap savings.

If there's interest in Johnsson, we should probably look back to last season when there was rumored interest in Brown. Toronto wanted Khaira and Benning, Gretzky refused. I don't see a whole lot of a gap between Johnsson and Brown. Honestly, Brown brings more to the table.

That being said, where does Johnsson fit long-term?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad