Rumor: Rumors and Proposals Thread | Spector: Multi-Year Kassian Extension Prior to Trade Deadline?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Posted by @Risingwind late in the last thread.
"It's been a while since my last time here. Saw a Puljujärvi video that might be of interest regarding his trade value. Too bad there doesn't seem to be any translation provided. It's a retired player from the Liiga who fools around and does these types of interviews with players. The answers paint a general picture of how things went for JP from the beginning of 2016 to now. A lot of it was old news, but it's good to get a confirmation on some things.

Some notes from the video:
  • After the U20 championship and MVP, he came over feeling very confident about things working out
  • He cites his lack of English skill as the main reason he felt alienated in the locker room
  • He said his 3 years around NA and this season talking in English with the 3 foreign players in Kärpät has made his English overall a lot better, and that he can discuss things in English in the locker room (with a noticeable accent)
  • He didn't specify if he's going to come over next summer or not, leaving the option for another Liiga year on the table, only saying that the next time he crosses the pond he has to feel like he has a realistic shot at being a regular player in the NHL (he didn't say it but I thought it was implied that he's not looking to return to a bottom-6 role)
  • He talked about developing over the 3 years in the Oilers org and this year in Kärpät, and evaluated that he has been able to take great strides forward during all of them, and especially this season
  • He specified that the area he felt he had the most development this year is consistency from night to night and shift to shift
  • He was happy that he could score in the Euro Hockey Tour and play there in a good role, which is higher level than Liiga at least
  • There were some talks in December about him going back with the NHL clause, but he didn't go into the specifics, just that nothing came out of it
  • He didn't touch any of the controversial stuff, agent wasn't mentioned even once, and the interviewer avoided going there either
  • Only Oiler players he talked about were McDavid and Draisaitl and he praised them both
Overall I feel a lot more confident about his trade value after hearing this interview, since he stated that he does aim to return and is only staying in Finland to facilitate returning. He gives off a calmer and more collected air now than in the past, which lends credence to when he says that he has done a lot of growing up during these past couple years. It wasn't talked about in the video at all, but to me it seems obvious that this Liiga thing is just an alternative for AHL in his case, since the old management burned his waiver-free years.

JP for Athanasiou+ next summer?

Though if looking at it from the expansion draft perspective maybe it would actually be best for him to play a second year in Finland before trading, since he could very well get a better return then. The Oilers are in a bit of an expansion bind anyway, and they may want to even protect 3F/5D to be honest, so they would be leaving players like Yamamoto open in that case. I doubt Seattle would take Athanasiou over Yamo, and if they did then that would just equal letting JP walk, which is a perfectly fine way to clear the expansion draft."

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013
Any word when Benning may be back? I feel like that might be the time we see Holland make a move. I wonder what a Khaira/Jones package could land?

Reactions: RegDunlop

ImmuneEH

Apr 2, 2017
I'm a little wary of trading our first this year, but I'm open to packaging say JP + 2020 2nd for someone that could step into our top 6.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

Nostradumbass

Divinity
Jan 1, 2007
"It's been a while since my last time here. Saw a Puljujärvi video that might be of interest regarding his trade value. Too bad there doesn't seem to be any translation provided. It's a retired player from the Liiga who fools around and does these types of interviews with players. The answers paint a general picture of how things went for JP from the beginning of 2016 to now. A lot of it was old news, but it's good to get a confirmation on some things.

• After the U20 championship and MVP, he came over feeling very confident about things working out
  • He cites his lack of English skill as the main reason he felt alienated in the locker room
  • He said his 3 years around NA and this season talking in English with the 3 foreign players in Kärpät has made his English overall a lot better, and that he can discuss things in English in the locker room (with a noticeable accent)
  • He didn't specify if he's going to come over next summer or not, leaving the option for another Liiga year on the table, only saying that the next time he crosses the pond he has to feel like he has a realistic shot at being a regular player in the NHL (he didn't say it but I thought it was implied that he's not looking to return to a bottom-6 role)
  • He talked about developing over the 3 years in the Oilers org and this year in Kärpät, and evaluated that he has been able to take great strides forward during all of them, and especially this season
  • He specified that the area he felt he had the most development this year is consistency from night to night and shift to shift
  • He was happy that he could score in the Euro Hockey Tour and play there in a good role, which is higher level than Liiga at least
  • There were some talks in December about him going back with the NHL clause, but he didn't go into the specifics, just that nothing came out of it
  • He didn't touch any of the controversial stuff, agent wasn't mentioned even once, and the interviewer avoided going there either
  • Only Oiler players he talked about were McDavid and Draisaitl and he praised them both
Overall I feel a lot more confident about his trade value after hearing this interview, since he stated that he does aim to return and is only staying in Finland to facilitate returning. He gives off a calmer and more collected air now than in the past, which lends credence to when he says that he has done a lot of growing up during these past couple years. It wasn't talked about in the video at all, but to me it seems obvious that this Liiga thing is just an alternative for AHL in his case, since the old management burned his waiver-free years.

Though if looking at it from the expansion draft perspective maybe it would actually be best for him to play a second year in Finland before trading, since he could very well get a better return then. The Oilers are in a bit of an expansion bind anyway, and they may want to even protect 3F/5D to be honest, so they would be leaving players like Yamamoto open in that case. I doubt Seattle would take Athanasiou over Yamo, and if they did then that would just equal letting JP walk, which is a perfectly fine way to clear the expansion draft."

Why would they protect 5 D? Klefbom, Nurse, Bear. Re-sign Larsson after the expansion draft (if he wants to return) and Bouchard/Broberg are waiver exempt. If Seattle chose one of Jones/Lagesson/Persson/Berglund, whoop dee doo.

By protecting 3 D, you also get to protect McDavid, Draisaitl, RNH (if he re-signs, or re-sign him after the expansion draft), Yamamoto, Benson, Kassian (if re-signed), [new forward we traded for].

Ideally you re-sign both Larsson and RNH after the expansion draft and you can keep almost your entire team intact.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver

I appreciate the update and summary, thank you. Normally I place about 80% of development responsibility on the player but with Pool Party I feel the Oilers are equal in this blue chip pedigree player slipping so badly off the rails. Clearly as a teenager Puljujärvi was not ready emotionally or in his game to make such a big jump to North American lifestyle and NHL level competition. This 'right-sized' development year sounds like he's working on things he can control that are essential to future NHL success: learning English language, developing consistency in his game, and obviously rebuilding his confidence.

The video clearly shows this guy's impressive physical tool kit. The challenge and issue is what he has between his ears. Regaining his confidence against realistic - sub-par NHL - competition is a critical component of his development. But the question will be can he think the game well enough at the NHL level to realize his potential as a top two line player. I'm not sure the hockey IQ is there. But regardless, Puljujärvi is too valuable imo to be given away for pennies on the dollar.

I'm with Holland's position to maintain his rights - indefinitely if required - to get a quality return. Would be onboard though with the idea of flipping him for a prime years Athanasiou whose NHL proven and has some team control.

Reactions: Aerchon

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Any word when Benning may be back? I feel like that might be the time we see Holland make a move. I wonder what a Khaira/Jones package could land?

Tippett said he won’t be back until after the all star break so he is out for the next 3 games / 2 and a half weeks. Oilers next game after the break isn’t until the 29th vs the heathen Flames.

I think Khaira / Jones brings us an experienced middle 6 forward with a year term left on his deal after this one.

Reactions: Jet Walters

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Tippett said he won’t be back until after the all star break so he is out for the next 3 games / 2 and a half weeks. Oilers next game after the break isn’t until the 29th vs the heathen Flames.

I think Khaira / Jones brings us an experienced middle 6 forward with a year term left on his deal after this one.

I would rather see them package up Khaira/Lagesson and a pick.

Jones is going to be a good NHL dman.

Reactions: KYams17

Ck1

Feb 10, 2018
Edmonton
A package containing any of JP/Khaira/Jones/Lagesson and a pick should return us something decent

Messier11

May 9, 2016
I would love to see Holland add one of Palmieri or Galchenyuk (both have killer releases) and maybe try to get Josh Anderson fro Columbus.

Even just one of the first two could allow us to set up a first line of 18-97-44 and a second line of 56-29-Palmieri and then a third line anchored with Nuge at centre. If we could get Anderson on the third line I think we could do some damage.

OilerTitanFan

Feb 26, 2019
Just to follow up on the previous thread, this Josh Anderson for a 1st and one of RNH/Broberg or whatever is ridiculous. It is "what have you done lately?" Josh Anderson is waiver wire material and if he keeps this up, he won't even be in the NHL next season. That player is borderline done.

I rather call up Jagr and sign him out of retirement than give up assets for Josh Anderson. I guarantee you Jagr will score more goals than Anderson with half the games played. Jagr can probably light it up with McDavid on the PP costing us nothing while Anderson will be planted on the 4th line and sent to Bakersfield quicker than JJ Khaira.

The same goes with Rakell. Why are people so fixated on the past? That's what screwed this team up with big contracts dished out to Horcoff and Pisani. After those two had great seasons in 2006, they were paid like top line players and amounted to nothing.

Reactions: Aerchon

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
I appreciate the update and summary, thank you. Normally I place about 80% of development responsibility on the player but with Pool Party I feel the Oilers are equal in this blue chip pedigree player slipping so badly off the rails. Clearly as a teenager Puljujärvi was not ready emotionally or in his game to make such a big jump to North American lifestyle and NHL level competition. This 'right-sized' development year sounds like he's working on things he can control that are essential to future NHL success: learning English language, developing consistency in his game, and obviously rebuilding his confidence.

The video clearly shows this guy's impressive physical tool kit. The challenge and issue is what he has between his ears. Regaining his confidence against realistic - sub-par NHL - competition is a critical component of his development. But the question will be can he think the game well enough at the NHL level to realize his potential as a top two line player. I'm not sure the hockey IQ is there. But regardless, Puljujärvi is too valuable imo to be given away for pennies on the dollar.

I'm with Holland's position to maintain his rights - indefinitely if required - to get a quality return. Would be onboard though with the idea of flipping him for a prime years Athanasiou whose NHL proven and has some team control.

The moment JP ignored the Oilers requests to get better at the English language, not sure how the Oilers would be equal in blame.
I've said in his rookie year that JP was never seeing the NHL as a job but just a game and got ripped by so many here. At least now he realizes he's got to put his big boy pants on and work hard.

Having said that, if he finally has his epiphany and willing to let bygones be bygones, I wouldn't mind him back and this coming from someone that loathed his game/character. Oilers are so devoid of talent on the wings, beggars can't be choosers.

If that's not possible, barring a trade we can win, I hope Holland just leaves him in Finland

Last edited:

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007

I get the feeling the next time we see Benning, he's going to look like Jim Carrey at the start of "Dumb and Dumber To". Poor guy has had such awful luck with injuries the past while.

MV5BMzAxMzM2ZDUtOTYyOC00NTYxLTk3NjQtYjQ5NmYwYzY3YWU2L2ltYWdlL2ltYWdlXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNTc3MjUzNTI@._V1_.jpg

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
The moment JP ignored the Oilers requests to get better at the English language, not sure how the Oilers would be equal in blame.
I've said in his rookie year that JP was never seeing the NHL as a job but just a game and got ripped by so many here. At least now he realizes he's got to put his big boy pants on and work hard.

Having said that, if he finally has his epiphany and will to let bygones be bygones, I wouldn't mind him back and this coming from someone that loathed his game/character. Oilers are so devoid of talent on the wings, beggars can't be choosers.

If that's not possible, barring a trade we can win, I hope Holland just leaves him in Finland

I don't hold the Oilers accountable for the player learning English. This is something the player and his agent should have seen as a necessity well before being drafted. Just an undisputed requirement for any player wanting to play in the NHL and North America. I don't know the specifics around this kid but there does seem to be some stubbornness, maybe immaturity and even entitlement which did nothing to help him being rushed into an NHL job. But the Oilers old m.o. of fast tracking high first round forwards to NHL jobs clearly failed this player. Shared accountability I think is fair without knowing directly the details between player and team.

Like you, I was hoping new management and coaching might entice JP to return before December. But he's determined his future is in Europe for now and hoping for a fresh NHL start . It's his choice and by reports he's working on clear deficiencies like language and work boots approach to determine his future.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011

Having said that, if he finally has his epiphany and willing to let bygones be bygones, I wouldn't mind him back and this coming from someone that loathed his game/character. Oilers are so devoid of talent on the wings, beggars can't be choosers.

The Oilers arranged extra English lessons for JP and he didn’t show up.

Darkwinter

Apr 4, 2010
jp is a waste of time and money . If the jackass does not want to play in Edmonton than make him sit, useless pos

Reactions: RegDunlop

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
The Oilers arranged extra English lessons for JP and he didn’t show up.

Yep. Hence why I said the moment he rejected them, it's all on him. How does he expect to understand the coaching when he doesn't even understand English basics?

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Valid point. :nod:

Jones is such a good skater...he just needs more NHL experience.
Its really tough to give up on a player like that.

Id rather he be on his strong side. The obvious trade chip in the off season is Russell. Opens cap space for a forward and doesn’t block Jones on the left bottom pair anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->