Rumor: Rumors and Proposals Thread | Spector: Multi-Year Kassian Extension Prior to Trade Deadline?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
yes. He is going to ignore anything positive about Kassian and say it isn’t applicable to his next contract. Somehow his play 4-5 years ago matters but him being one of the best EV players in the league this year doesn’t.

Hi splay over the last three years gives us a baseline of who he is. This year is an obvious outlier and you'd have to be blind not to see that and pay for this performance and not the baseline.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Hmm, if only there was a lesson here.
Don't sign anyone?
We signed 5 guys last year and 1 worked out. Signed 5 more this year and 2 have seemingly worked out but both are 4th liners.
We will purge or bury the ones that stop working unless u have a magic crystal ball on you.

Reactions: CycloneSweep

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
You’re the one who suggested we sign Kyle Clifford, Colin Wilson or Derick Brassard as UFAs next offseason to replace Kassian...

No I'm not. You asked a question, I answered.

I'd steer clear of UFA altogether and look internally for a replacement.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Ahh yes Peca. A guy who is 5'9" and at 26 years old is still an AHL player who is an injury call up will easily replace Kassian. You have to be trolling right?

Realistically Benson might be the most logical suggestion. But to suggest we trade assets for a nobody like Peca to replace Kassian is hilarious

Reactions: Homesick

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
No I'm not. You asked a question, I answered.

I'd steer clear of UFA altogether and look internally for a replacement.
Internal.. so the AHLers who can't seem to win shit down in Bakersfield this year. Gagner was the best forward when he was sent down. Jurco before him. It's probably Granlund right now.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Realistically Benson might be the most logical suggestion. But to suggest we trade assets for a nobody like Peca to replace Kassian is hilarious
Benson could be Khaira replacement as 3W.. how about we keep the guy that actually clicks before pencilling in AHLers

Our team is missing 2 good wingers as is .. why create a bigger hole? Kassian is our most productive winger at ES

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Benson could be Khaira replacement as 3W.. how about we keep the guy that actually clicks before pencilling in AHLers

Don’t think you really caught the context of my post or the ongoing conversation. Honestly I’d like to see Benson come up and get a shot in Neal’s spot as Neal is really struggling at EV. I see Benson being a guy that could move up and down from the 1st to 3rd lines as needed eventually.

Kassian should be a lock as 1RW right now for sure though.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Hi splay over the last three years gives us a baseline of who he is. This year is an obvious outlier and you'd have to be blind not to see that and pay for this performance and not the baseline.
Okay. For the last 3 seasons Zach Kassian is 158th in the league for forwards for points 5v5. If by logic you say 1-90 is first liners, 91-180 is second liner and 181-270 is third liner Kassian falls into 2nd line area, at least statistically.
Because you say this year doesn't count ... Kassian falls down to 197 if you do the 3 years before this one.

So statistically that puts him as a high end 3rd liner.

You are trying to tell me 3-3.5 mill is too much for a high end 3rd liner who is currently putting up very good numbers with zero PP time?

Give me a break.

Who ALSO plays a heavy game, makes room for McDavid and has developed chemistry?

Reactions: Faelko and Homesick

TennisBalls

Jan 14, 2013
Manhattan
I know it’s an insanely small sample size but Archibald doing what he needs to do with Connor now too. Kassian still worth 3x3 like a lot of others are echoing here. He’s been inconsistent a lot of his career.

Reactions: Aerchon

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
I guess we shouldn't bother trying to re-sign Archibald or Sheahan either then as they are UFAs and just fill those positions internally.

Those guys aren't in line for raises.

And I think Archibald has 4 points in his two games on the McDavid line.

Paying Kassian more than $2.5 for more than a few years will likely come back to bite us.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
77AAEA13-4537-4C4F-A263-1257A9E08A0D.png
Okay. For the last 3 seasons Zach Kassian is 158th in the league for forwards for points 5v5. If by logic you say 1-90 is first liners, 91-180 is second liner and 181-270 is third liner Kassian falls into 2nd line area, at least statistically.
Because you say this year doesn't count ... Kassian falls down to 197 if you do the 3 years before this one.

So statistically that puts him as a high end 3rd liner.

You are trying to tell me 3-3.5 mill is too much for a high end 3rd liner who is currently putting up very good numbers with zero PP time?

Give me a break.

Reactions: CycloneSweep

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
I know it’s an insanely small sample size but Archibald doing what he needs to do with Connor now too. Kassian still worth 3x3 like a lot of others are echoing here. He’s been inconsistent a lot of his career.
Even if he keeps working, Neal isn't on that line, that allows us to drop Neal to the third line and helps create a working 3rd line

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Even if he keeps working, Neal isn't on that line, that allows us to drop Neal to the third line and helps create a working 3rd line

My concern with putting Neal on the third line is that he starts pouting again like he did last year on the Flames. I think it's Top 6 or bust for him here.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Those guys aren't in line for raises.

And I think Archibald has 4 points in his two games on the McDavid line.

Paying Kassian more than $2.5 for more than a few years will likely come back to bite us.
And refusing to sign Kass over less than a mill difference will bite us immediately.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
My concern with putting Neal on the third line is that he starts pouting again like he did last year on the Flames. I think it's Top 6 or bust for him here.
I disagree. Neal pouted in Calgary because he literally didn't get a chance. He had like one or two bad games and got booted down to the bottom 6 and forgotten about. In the times Neal has gotten pushed down here he seems to work harder for a while because he knows he, if playing well, will get time up there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad