Rumor: Rumors and Proposals Thread | Slow days of summer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Something that I just read:

http://www.msn.com/en-ca/sports/nhl...l-free-agency/ss-AAdsxdL?ocid=U220DHP#image=8

10 most regrettable contracts for the 2015 NHL Free Agents.

Andrej Sekera comes in at 4th
Devan Dubnyk comes in at 3rd

lol, their reasoning about Sekera is that he might be a locker room cancer since he's played on a lot of teams so far. There's other names on that list that are dumb. Justin Williams was a great addition to the capitals for instance.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Sekera was traded by Buffalo because they were rebuilding. He was traded by Carolina because they have defensemen in the woodwork ready to step up and Sekera was likely going to be too pricey for their long-term plans. LA couldn't afford him.

The author is an idiot.

But before I read that I hadn't realized that Williams was making $6.5m per. Crazy.

tv14

Cam Dadbot
Feb 12, 2008
Alberta
Sekera was traded by Buffalo because they were rebuilding. He was traded by Carolina because they have defensemen in the woodwork ready to step up and Sekera was likely going to be too pricey for their long-term plans. LA couldn't afford him.

The author is an idiot.

But before I read that I hadn't realized that Williams was making $6.5m per. Crazy.

He's not (6.5 total for 2 years). He's signed to a very fair contract, and the writer is an idiot.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I'm not sure we have the blueline to do that.

IMO we would be better off if Nurse and/or Reinhart force their way onto the team. Ultimately we will be playing a better system, have better coaching and IMO the biggest thing for us is goaltending and coaching. If guys like Yak and Draisaitl step up and we get solid goaltending, our defense may not matter all that much unless we are playing Ference and Nikitin 25 minutes a night.

This is the team that should've been playing us for the SC in '05-06 if not for crippling injuries to their blueline. Besides Campbell and a 37 year old Numinen, their D wasn't anything special.

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
Even omitting what he wrote about Sekera, that's one of the worst articles I've read this summer. Filled with inaccuracies. I got to #9 before giving up.

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
Flames didnt have the forwards but they did it... Good coaching goes a long way.. Nurse, Klefbom, Reinhart can be our Gaudreau, Monahan, Bennett.

Not really, stepping in and making a big impact in your first couple years is light and day easier as a forward than a defenceman. When have 3 rookie defencemen ever played a season together and made enough of an impact to turn a bottom team into a playoff team?

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
Gotta love the "4 teams since 2010!" reasoning. He was a rental, you goober.

He must have thought Marian Hossa was an ungodly signing for the Blackhawks at the time. Fourth team in 16 months? The horror.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Going to guess 7M

And Letestu too.

Sekera is a very nice fit in EDM.

No one is going to be criticizing Edmonton about tanking anymore :laugh:. Good signing if true.

$6.5-7m x 6, imo.

Im gonna guess 6x6.25m

Everyone on HF agreed that was a great deal. Avs and sharks fans were pretty pissed.

I guess this is why I don't go to msn.com for my hockey news and opinion.

The above quotes (except from s7ark) were all from the very first page of the Sekera free agent signing thread from the mains.

All non Oiler fans (I think)

hallhopkinseberle

Jul 14, 2007
london
There really isn't a bad signing this off-season in the FA market. Belesky really is the only one and well 3.75mil or wtv isn't that bad for a gritty,3rd liner.

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
There really isn't a bad signing this off-season in the FA market. Belesky really is the only one and well 3.75mil or wtv isn't that bad for a gritty,3rd liner.

They're including Ryan O'Reilly who was extended a year before his UFA status. That was a bad contract.

Which means the list lacks Ryan Kesler, the new worst contract in the NHL.

rasarhdasd

Apr 12, 2013
Eh, I dunno if the ROR contract is that bad. O'Reilly will be 25 when it starts and ends at 32, and a 25 year old Ryan O'Reilly would have gotten 7M pretty easily if he had made it to free agency.

They're not getting any discount but they're paying for the right years (25-32), he's a 55-65 point, two-way center who can play LW and play tough minutes, which is a pretty good player to overpay. The Avalanche bungled his contract situation years ago when they should have went long term.

Now Kesler's contract is a very bad contract.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Eh, I dunno if the ROR contract is that bad. O'Reilly will be 25 when it starts and ends at 32, and a 25 year old Ryan O'Reilly would have gotten 7M pretty easily if he had made it to free agency.

They're not getting any discount but they're paying for the right years (25-32), he's a 55-65 point, two-way center who can play LW and play tough minutes, which is a pretty good player to overpay. The Avalanche bungled his contract situation years ago when they should have went long term.

Now Kesler's contract is a very bad contract.

I totally agree on Kesler. We're seeing more deals like that. His deal is not to bad for a few years, but it will start looking really bad in the back half of the contract. It's mortgaging the future a bit

McJeety McJeet

Nov 5, 2011
Edmonton
I totally agree on Kesler. We're seeing more deals like that. His deal is not to bad for a few years, but it will start looking really bad in the back half of the contract. It's mortgaging the future a bit

Kesler's new contract is very strange. The Ducks had one free swing with Kesler under contract for next season why not play the season out and reevaluate after? Even if he walks you still have 6+ million to fill the spot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad