Not open for further replies.

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
Last thread hit 1000. Continue here.

Some posts:

:facepalm:

Nothing, "IF possible"

One could probably discern that "IF" it were possible, it would have possibly already happened.

Again, I don't think Ference is as bad as many of you do, but do each their own. Nikitin is my bane, that guy is awful.

Exactly. Ference's cap hit this year and next is better then having dead space for 4 years.

And if he falls off enough we trade him or maybe he retires early?

Draisaitl would actually be a great winger for Nuge. Very smart like RNH and an incredible passer which works for Nuge as he actually has a killer shot.
Draisaitl - RNH - Eberle could be a offensively great line. They would probably have one of the best cycle games in the league.

Drai fits with them too as he uses his size to shield the puck and gets it to his line mates. Eberle is notorious for just sneaking into great scoring places and Drai is notorious for ridiculous passes into those areas.

I have a feeling that if Chiarelli told Ference "Hey, we have a contender that want to add you and take a run at a cup. I'm not asking you to waive your no trade, but if this is something that interests you..." Ference would probably waive in a second.

I think Ference could bring valuable depth and experience to a team going for a cup. He'll bring valuable depth and experience here too, though... But we're not 100% ready to compete for that goal yet.

I don't know. Last year, I thought we grossly underachieved and were incredibly unlucky early, which sent the team down that "here we go again" decline. We may have been in the playoff hunt much longer had we not been sunk by goaltending.

This roster today is better than the one that started last season, even if the defense still isn't great. There's no tangible way of measuring the affect of McClellan vs Eakins, but I think we can all agree that we've improved there as well. But even if the team plays the same as last year and we get even average NHL goaltending, I think people will be surprised at how much better we'll fare in the standings.

It was pretty clear that I was arguing a trade should have happened by now with Ference.

On another thread I saw the perfect analogy of the two.

Nikitin plays 10% of the time like a top pairing guy and 90% of the time like a 7/AHLer.

Ference plays 25% of the time like a 4/5D and 75% of the time like a 6/7D.

Given the extra year on Ference's contract he is the choice to go.

I don't see the fit tbh. RNH and Eberle work best with a guy who can win puck battles and crash the net, clean up the garbage around the net. It's no coincidence that they played the best hockey of their career with Ryan Smyth in RNH's rookie season and now Pouliot.
The last thing they need on their wing is a skilled playmaker IMO especially an inexperienced one.

I think we'll see Drai start at 3rd line RW playing soft minutes then evetually transition to #3C unless injuries hit. Pouliot will likely stay on the RNH-Eberle line and I'm sure Chia will add a vet at some point to flank Hall-McDavid and will be Purcell in the meantime most likely.

I do think this is an important factor into last season. I've always felt one of this team's biggest problems of the last seasons is their 'mood swings'. It seemed like the leadership in the locker room (through coaching, players, etc.) had trouble getting the team motivated when the team got off to a bad start.

I am hopeful that new coaching and new presences in the locker room can help this situation. This is also why I think Kreuger was relatively successful here compared to Eakins. Kreuger knew how to motivate the players, Eakins obviously didn't. McLellan has a reputation of being a good communicator, so that gives me cautious optimism there too.

As long as you assume, for whatever reason, that the player can only be dealt with now, or he is forever locked on the roster, then that makes perfect sense.

Looking at it, let say, "differently" Nikitin is useless, doesn't skate well, and just doesn't have a place on the roster. Ference can be a #6/7 on this team as a well as a veteran, which is fine, it's a good spot for him for this upcoming season.

Re Ference, after this upcoming season there are options, during this upcoming season there are options, just before the start of this upcoming season there are options, the team if free to explore those.

Again I say, if any of the guys we don't want here could be traded with a retention, I would say it likely would have already happened or been hinted at in the slightest.

The Oilers are going to have dead money on their cap this year, Nikitin likely in the PB or (hopefully) in the AHL, Purcell having to beat out Draisaitl, which I don't know that he can do, and Ference spending some nights in the PB too.

This is just **** we're going to have to deal with unless "that" deal comes along, the one that gets the Oilers the big piece they want/need and they don't have to give up the moon for it. Until then, Roman wasn't built in a day, the Oilers won't be fix in just a few short months.

Don't think the conversation would go exactly that way because Chia would be asking him to waive his no movement clause. Probably not a feasible option with the second year of that contract without salary retained.

Much nicer to get rid of Ference now, and there would need to be some salary retained at the TDL, but it could happen.

I didnt think so.
I never recalled seeing anybody posting a Yak for Iginla proposal.

That's what Draisaitl does. Except crash the net. He wins board battles, gets in great position and I guarantee once he gets used to nhl size he can crash the net and clean up a mess...but he can also be a skilled player and do more then just clean up messes.

You never know what could happen with injuries.

He looks gassed and heads off for a change half way through a shift.

In his time here? Of course he was getting pulled off the ice, Eakins couldn't run a bench properly.

He's a finesse player. He's not a player who generally goes in the trenches and battles hard for pucks on a consistent basis and in the instances when he does battle hard, he gets winded very easily. He's at his best when he has the puck and can create for his line.

He, like RNH and Eberle, are best when they have the puck and look to distribute to linemates. Similar to Hall, that line won't work because all those guys are puck carriers. The same would likely apply with Draisaitl. Also, he likes to slow down the pace while RNH and Eberle play at a quick pace. It just seems like a bad match to me.

It happened a lot in junior too. He needs to work on his conditioning.

Oct 15, 2008
I noticed it in junior after he got sent down. He would go off early and his linemates would stay out another 20-30 seconds. His shifts were noticeably short and he looked gassed going off. It was very apparent.

Could be a combo of not much playing time in Edmonton along with crazy Eakins practices or something but it was weird. I never noticed this before but perhaps I wasnt paying close enough attention. He seemed to get lots of ice time with PA and I dont remember him looking gassed or going off early then.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Dog days are boring, lol.

How about a different direction, any of the UFAs (ones that might be left over) you want to see the Oilers give a PTO to?

A few come to mind, Daniel Paille, Ryan Wilson and Jim Slater.

Last edited:

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I noticed it in junior after he got sent down. He would go off early and his linemates would stay out another 20-30 seconds. His shifts were noticeably short and he looked gassed going off. It was very apparent.

Could be a combo of not much playing time in Edmonton along with crazy Eakins practices or something but it was weird. I never noticed this before but perhaps I wasnt paying close enough attention. He seemed to get lots of ice time with PA and I dont remember him looking gassed or going off early then.

To be honest 200+ pounds on a guy that young (18-19 years old) is a lot of weight to be lugging around. He probably needs to build his endurance up to be able to play at that weight effectively.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario

From the sounds of it Eakins practices were basically useless in terms of any sort of conditioning. Big guys need to keep pressing themselves or they will lose conditioning.

He seemed fine by the Memorail Cup. He played a lot against teams that challenged him.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
From the sounds of it Eakins practices were basically useless in terms of any sort of conditioning. Big guys need to keep pressing themselves or they will lose conditioning.

He seemed fine by the Memorail Cup. He played a lot against teams that challenged him.

Eakins' practises were a whole of him next to a white board talking. Need to lecture the players to death about his genius system.

McDeathbyCheerios*

Yep. I feel like he didn't get enough workout time with Eakins and didn't play enough to keep his conditioning up. by the WHL playoffs he was playing heavy minutes and was effective all game long.

Seedling

Tier 7 fan (ballcap)
Jul 16, 2009
Canada
Poor handling by Eakins. There is a reason Sather used to say "You practice like you play."

I think he will be fine. Practices should be much better under McLellan. I also expect the ice time and match ups will be better as well so that should also help.

backhandsauce

Oct 19, 2009
Bergenheim, Glencross or Fehr.

I stilll think we end up with Glencross on a one year deal. His heart is set in Alberta and the Flames have moved on from him.

Remember the Glencross-Brodziak-Stortini line? It was a beauty.

McDeathbyCheerios*

I stilll think we end up with Glencross on a one year deal. His heart is set in Alberta and the Flames have moved on from him.

Hendricks - Letestu - Glenncross

PaPaDee

5-14-6-1
Sep 21, 2005
Saskazoo

I'd like Glencross if we could get him in on a cheap, 1 year contract. I'm not sure how much he hast left in the tank, but on a 1 year deal, the risk wouldn't be that high.

Oct 15, 2008

No room at the inn. The roster is pretty much set.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009

Lol, are those 3 guys going to cost much more than 4mil combined? Could pick yourself up a third line right there.

Paralyzer008

Jan 30, 2008
No room at the inn. The roster is pretty much set.

If you start Draisaitl in the AHL, you could fire a bottom six of:

UFA-Lander-Yakupov (or Purcell)
Hendricks-Letestu-Korpikoski
Klinkhammer/Pitlick (send one to the AHL)

Korpikoski is an upgraded Klinkhammer so he can play 4th line if he has to.

rockinghockey

Oct 22, 2008
I don't see EDM doing anything else this summer. I say Chia is done. We have no room for any forwards and the dmen we want to move no one wants them. I see an increase of about 25 points but we won't make the playoffs. That even means that we will be drafting around 8 or 9. Talk about pissed off fans if we win the lottery then or even if we move into the top 3.

tempest2i

Jigsaw Falling Into Place
Oct 25, 2009
Cowtown
Calling a guy a bust for playing in the ahl is hilarious.

For all we know Draisaitl will start on the wing next season in the nhl. If he doesn't, that's not a negative to him, for once we have crazy good center depth. Not his fault we just drafted Connor McDavid and that we have the cap space where we don't need an ELC on the roster.

That being said I completely believe Draisaitl will come flying at camp and start on the third or second line as a winger.

I'm not calling him a bust. I just have very low expectations for him.

Depth at center is a big factor, Chicago had maybe what the Oilers did last year in Toews' first year.

That and Toews didn't have nearly the same supporting cast around him that he does now. Chicago was largely a bunch of pluggers save for Kane so he had a more offensive push because they didn't have much else. Here, we have a lot of offensive options so he wont get nearly the same amount of icetime Toews got

With the forward depth the Oilers have currently have, I expect Draisaitl to see easier matchups considering whatever lines have 4/14/93/97 are going to be seeing top defensive pairs and top forwards (read: the toughest matchups). This of course assumes he won't be playing on a line with those 4 guys. If he does, good luck and godspeed, kid.

Your statement was that Draisaitl did not use his size. Your example in this regard was Getzlaf. I simply pointed out that most bigger skilled centers use their size in a completely different way than you are speaking of. And you don't have to be particularly large to do so either as both Teows and Crosbly are powerful but not huge.

I'm concerned that while he was in junior, it was too easy for Draisaitl to simply shrug players away with his size, and as such will struggle to adapt in the NHL once he realizes the best players in the world aren't so easily pushed back. I'm concerned that some people are going to look at Draisaitl's size and expect he to develop a mean streak, like the one Getzlaf plays with, but he never will because that's not the way he is.

I'm concerned we've got this big kid on our hands who is going to turn out to be:
- highly skilled; and
- soft as hell.

He even brought up Thornton earlier and how Thornton didn't do those things either...Draisaitl is extremely similar to Thornton and he is one of the toughest players in the league.

I'll be happy if Draisaitl turns out to be 75% as good as Thornton has been. Jumbo Joe is a unique talent.

dustrock

Too Legit To Quit
Sep 22, 2008
Thornton was a beanpole when he started.

Not sure I'm sold on Glencross in 2015. Is he really an improvement on anyone on our roster for the additional cap hit?

Bergenheim and Fehr are more interesting to me.

But overall not sure I need any more forward additions, I'd prefer to look improving the D, as always. If there's no trade for a top d-man, let's stay the course until the season starts.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
A camp invitation to Meszaros and Glencross would be great for Oilers.

Meszaros was on a pairing with Sekera for team Slovakia. Chia traded for him in BOS last year.

If nothing else adds competition for the others.

BleedingOil

Dec 4, 2006
Edmonton
I see LD Reinhardt and nurse in the AHL for the first month or so until they force his way onto the team. Hopefully nikitin looks good in that time and we can deal him to team with injuries on defence.

BleedingOil

Dec 4, 2006
Edmonton
Thornton was a beanpole when he started.

Not sure I'm sold on Glencross in 2015. Is he really an improvement on anyone on our roster for the additional cap hit?

Bergenheim and Fehr are more interesting to me.

But overall not sure I need any more forward additions, I'd prefer to look improving the D, as always. If there's no trade for a top d-man, let's stay the course until the season starts.

Glencross has definitely lost a step not interested in him at all. Fehr is the most interesting but I don't think we are looking to add a body without moving one out. How many contracts do we have left?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille