Rumor: Rumors and Proposals Thread | Slow days of summer

Status
Not open for further replies.

soothsayer

Oct 27, 2009
TSN talking heads said 13M was the starting point for Stamkos camp around draft time.

It would be no surprise if Stamkos is looking to be the highest paid player in the NHL. His camp says 13, the Lightning say something around 11. They meet in the middle and do a deal at 12 (11.5 if he cuts them some slake--maybe he even goes as low as 11).

Edit: Just looking at their cap over the next few years--they are going to be in some serious Blackhawk kind-of trouble. Maybe even worse! I still can't imagine them not signing Stamkos for major money.

Vagabond

Dec 24, 2004
Edmonton
I wouldn't pay Stamkos that kind of money either. I will also say that I have my doubts that he's the same Stamkos pre-major-injury he suffered to his right leg. He will still be a 40goal 80 point player tho but I couldn't justify 13m on him.

djdub

This Space for Rent
Oct 1, 2011
Calgary, AB
I wouldn't pay Stamkos that kind of money either. I will also say that I have my doubts that he's the same Stamkos pre-major-injury he suffered to his right leg. He will still be a 40goal 80 point player tho but I couldn't justify 13m on him.

If you were the GM of TB, you would have to. The only other option is to trade him for up and comers, which you would never last to see come to fruition. Your fan base would literally hate you and you would probably a short time after the trade, loose your job. The safe bet is to make that signing, even if it is probably the wrong decision at the 12m+ range.

McSpecial DraiBlend

Feb 18, 2010
Kelowna, Canada
Hopefully for Tampa it is under 11. Fans forget about players when the winning continues. If they get a great return for him if he's asking 13 then you do it.
Is it time for hockey yet??

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
If you were the GM of TB, you would have to. The only other option is to trade him for up and comers, which you would never last to see come to fruition. Your fan base would literally hate you and you would probably a short time after the trade, loose your job. The safe bet is to make that signing, even if it is probably the wrong decision at the 12m+ range.

Depends on whether you mean "up and comers" as in unproven prospects and picks, or if you mean young players already playing in the NHL.

I mean NSH has been looking for a #1C for half a decade. Would they do something around FF, Neal, Jones for him (assuming he would sign an extension there)? Or perhaps not FF but another prospect or pick or something? Unfortunately for Tampa he has a NMC/NTC that kicked in for the last year of his deal... which means their options if they wanted to trade him would be limited.

I think the way you'll see trades like that now (at least for the very good players) is that they'll be moved not for pure futures and spare parts like in the past, but really good young pieces like what M.Richards and Carter were moved for.

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007
Depends on whether you mean "up and comers" as in unproven prospects and picks, or if you mean young players already playing in the NHL.

I mean NSH has been looking for a #1C for half a decade. Would they do something around FF, Neal, Jones for him (assuming he would sign an extension there)? Or perhaps not FF but another prospect or pick or something? Unfortunately for Tampa he has a NMC/NTC that kicked in for the last year of his deal... which means their options if they wanted to trade him would be limited.

I think the way you'll see trades like that now (at least for the very good players) is that they'll be moved not for pure futures and spare parts like in the past, but really good young pieces like what M.Richards and Carter were moved for.

I doubt he fetches that much. I'd say Neal, Jones, 1st and 2nd is the most they will get. Otherwise it makes no sense for Nashville. FF, Neal, Jones is basically like Hall, Klefbom and RNH for Stamkos. That's why such trades rarely happen in today's NHL. Nobody wants to trade their superstar unless the other team gets absolutely robbed, in which case there is no longer interest on the other side.

Pointteen

Jun 9, 2008
New Brunswick
On the topic of Stamkos, was the deal not universally viewed as him putting Tampa's balls in a vice?
Right to free agency and a no trade clause right?
Can't necessarily blame him but it isn't exactly a team first move. Not that I expect Stamkos to be a mercenary. Not yet anyways.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
I doubt he fetches that much. I'd say Neal, Jones, 1st and 2nd is the most they will get. Otherwise it makes no sense for Nashville. FF, Neal, Jones is basically like Hall, Klefbom and RNH for Stamkos. That's why such trades rarely happen in today's NHL. Nobody wants to trade their superstar unless the other team gets absolutely robbed, in which case there is no longer interest on the other side.

Neal is no where near Halls level (or RNH) He's a elite shooter who is usually able to find open space and can usually get off an quick accurate shot, but someone that cannot create anything on his own. He must have someone who can create time and space for him, then get him the puck.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
On the topic of Stamkos, was the deal not universally viewed as him putting Tampa's balls in a vice?
Right to free agency and a no trade clause right?

Can't necessarily blame him but it isn't exactly a team first move. Not that I expect Stamkos to be a mercenary. Not yet anyways.

Yep. But then if you have the option, why not give yourself some control? I mean would you want to end up in [name most undesirable NHL city]?

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
Doubt it would be that high - he wants to win too and knows that the more he takes, the less there will be for his team. Likely in the 9-11m range. I doubt he goes above 11m.

Well, starting point. No agent walks into negotiations with the number they think they'll end up at.

I do think Stamkos will get more than Kane/Toews.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
I wonder if contract talks don't go well early if you could see Tampa move Stamkos way earlier than anyone would expect. One didn't get the impression that the fan base was particularly enamored with him in the playoffs. Wonder if the lightning organization felt the same way. He didn't have an incredible year. He wasn't even top 10 in league scoring. He might rub some people the wrong way asking to be the highest paid player in the league after what was (for him) a pretty sub par season.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Yah the players escalator clause is the only reason it's up this year. But I just can't see it going down significantly.

Either way, the point I'm trying to make is that we can't compare contracts on $$ alone. Context is important and RFA years, salary cap, age, etc. make a huge impact on a cap hit. We can't say that no one should make more than Crosby when Crosby signed his contract years ago.

The clause has always been in place. The cap is up this year because even with the fall in the $CDN the NHL revenues were up. This year may be a bigger challenge because there is no new large source of money like last year when the added 1/2 of the new Canadian TV deal.

I actually agree though that when comparing contracts context is very important. We saw this year with a relatively flat cap the FA deals were fairly modest. In years where the cap rises by $4-5M FA's tend to make out like bandits.

I think it is also reasonable to view contracts in constant dollars when you compare them. As you say a deal signed 4 years ago is not really the same as a deal signed today.

Pointteen

Jun 9, 2008
New Brunswick
Yep. But then if you have the option, why not give yourself some control? I mean would you want to end up in [name most undesirable NHL city]?

For sure.
I can't blame him at all for his prior contract, but I do know a home town discount definitely helps the team in a cap world.

Either way... Hall at 6m looks sweeter every day.
Eberle aa well. RNH looks fair.
Love it.

rasarhdasd

Apr 12, 2013
11-12 or whatever is fine for Stamkos. Overpaying your star players doesn't really matter, it's paying bottom of the roster guys too much that causes problems.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I wonder if contract talks don't go well early if you could see Tampa move Stamkos way earlier than anyone would expect. One didn't get the impression that the fan base was particularly enamored with him in the playoffs. Wonder if the lightning organization felt the same way. He didn't have an incredible year. He wasn't even top 10 in league scoring. He might rub some people the wrong way asking to be the highest paid player in the league after what was (for him) a pretty sub par season.

seeing how they went through the Lecavalier situation already tells me that they might be inclined to trade Stamkos now rather than go through that again. They have enviable talent without Stamkos anyway, and the assets they would get back by trading him would be huge.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
You know that if Stamkos hit UFA the Leafs would instantly step up with an offer for the league max.

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
good post. HFboards needs a "like" button. :laugh:

Yeah, I think he's completely right.

Guys with one year left until UFA status seem to do better than guys who actually make it to unrestricted free agency. Teams are so scared to have them walk that they will overpay grossly to retain them.

This is more reason to pursue a long term deal with meaningful young players coming off their ELC than "bridge" them and risk a massive overpay.

What makes you think Riptide is a he?

BTW , nice avatar change, RT.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
So what would you give up for Byfuglien if he's available?

I'd move something like Fayne + top 3 protected 1st for an extended Buff.

Sekera-Buff
Klefbom-Schultz
Nurse/Reinhart-Gryba

That wouldn't look too bad IMO and suddenly the only guy that doesn't have much offense to his game is Gryba. With solid goaltending I could see us being a playoff team if we pull that trade off and don't get hit with lengthy key injuries.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
And if he rejects it, that would make my day:laugh:

What if he accepts it and then proceeds to be a 65 point player for most of the duration of his deal? That would be much worse for the Leafs than him shunning them IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad