Rumor: Rumors and Proposals Thread | Slow days of summer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pointteen

Jun 9, 2008
New Brunswick
Weber is a dman every team makes room for. Seabrook is a dman most teams make room for.

Weber's down year this year was a Seabrook year.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Watched the Canada-Russia junior showcase tonight.

Have to say, Marner looks like he could be the third best player from the draft. He was quite easily better than Strome. Looks basically like Patrick Kane. If we had drafted him we would be drooling over his performance tonight.

Then again, Sam Gagner once looked very good in a Super Series.

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007

Have to say, Marner looks like he could be the third best player from the draft. He was quite easily better than Strome. Looks basically like Patrick Kane. If we had drafted him we would be drooling over his performance tonight.

btw, what's the word on Gagner? Did Philly buy him out and he became UFA?

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
Weber is a dman every team makes room for. Seabrook is a dman most teams make room for.

Weber's down year this year was a Seabrook year.

I suspect Seabrook will move and Weber will not. But even if that weren't true, you also have to factor in cost. Are the Oilers a better team with RNH+Seabrook than they are without RNH and with Weber? I'm not so sure.

It's something you gotta look at, for sure.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
You're kind of agreeing with my point aren't you?

If Nashville demands the type of package that lots are suggesting they would, they aren't going to get a deal for Weber.
So they wont deal him. Unless they are in a position where they felt they needed to deal him. In which case they'd have to take less.

Or option number 3, they do not insist on a #1C/#1C prospect. Then they're just looking for a good/great return, which means there's a lot more teams that would be interested.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton

Man I remember how excited everyone was after that tournament. Gagner was far and away the best player on a team that had Giroux, Turris and Tavares. Just absolutely destroyed it. And then followed it up with a great rookie year. Too bad it all went sideways and he never got any better after that :(

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
Man I remember how excited everyone was after that tournament. Gagner was far and away the best player on a team that had Giroux, Turris and Tavares. Just absolutely destroyed it. And then followed it up with a great rookie year. Too bad it all went sideways and he never got any better after that :(

I still actually think the best hockey he played, by a lot, was the end of 08-09 and not the more famous rookie run. While the rest of the team was busy choking away a playoff spot, he scored 10-11-21 in 20GP with a +4 rating down that stretch. There were no huge blowout loses or ridiculously improbable three straight OT winners from his winger involved, just big performances in the last important games the Oilers have played.

The Oilers failed him. He should be better than he is, and I think that's more on Kevin Lowe, Craig MacTavish and co. than Sam Gagner himself.

rosemount289

Feb 12, 2008
You cannot...........???

I still actually think the best hockey he played, by a lot, was the end of 08-09 and not the more famous rookie run. While the rest of the team was busy choking away a playoff spot, he scored 10-11-21 in 20GP with a +4 rating down that stretch. There were no huge blowout loses or ridiculously improbable three straight OT winners from his winger involved, just big performances in the last important games the Oilers have played.

The Oilers failed him. He should be better than he is, and I think that's more on Kevin Lowe, Craig MacTavish and co. than Sam Gagner himself.

You cannot blame Lowe nor MacTavish..........that's pure bull........!!! It's up to the individual player...........remember Gagner is now on his third or fourth team and you are not blaming the other team's coaches and GM?..........just Lowe and MacT?

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
You cannot blame Lowe nor MacTavish..........that's pure bull........!!! It's up to the individual player...........remember Gagner is now on his third or fourth team and you are not blaming the other team's coaches and GM?..........just Lowe and MacT?

Did his last 3 team have a hand in developing him ? No they got what Lowe and MacT made him . Mac T to a lessor extent , more Tamblowe

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta

It's the dog days and people are starting to fall back in to the "usual" routine around here, so I'm going to just leave the video above.

Remember now, no matter how impossible it might seem, things are Different Now.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Did his last 3 team have a hand in developing him ? No they got what Lowe and MacT made him . Mac T to a lessor extent , more Tamblowe

I don't know, there was a time where defense came after. I really thought Tippet would be good for Gagner. I think he is still at a young enough age to learn better positioning and such.

Who knows, he could end up on the wing with Grioux and put up 60 points. He did put up 40 in ARI where he was their leading scorer for forwards.

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010
I suspect Seabrook will move and Weber will not. But even if that weren't true, you also have to factor in cost. Are the Oilers a better team with RNH+Seabrook than they are without RNH and with Weber? I'm not so sure.

It's something you gotta look at, for sure.

Not so sure? I'd say it goes without saying that we'd be better. Weber is unreal but the cost has to make sense, we don't need arguably the best dman in the world to fix our defense. Really we only truly need that top pairing RHD and we should be good long term.

backhandsauce

Oct 19, 2009
I wonder when we will start to hear about training camp invites... Still lots of names out there.

Hoogaar23

Apr 13, 2011
NSH trading Weber makes less and less sense as time goes on.

1) The return probably gets significantly worse each year they hang onto him
2) Being a budget conscious team, almost done paying the $14 and $12m years, he becomes somewhat of a bargain in 3 years - and Nashville is exactly the kind of team that won't mind a higher cap hit lower salary player.

He's the face of that franchise - the only reason they would trade him is money, and they've almost paid out the bulk of it already. Might as well hang on to him now.

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
I thought Gagner played well in the lockout season with Kreuger (a competent coach). However, if he's not scoring he's pretty useless. That's what I like about Yakupov. When he had dry spells he would bang some bodies and give it 100% whereas Gagner was invisible when he wasn't scoring

Morpheus

nuckin’ futz
Sponsor
Jun 26, 2007
Oak Island - Lot #32

Blame the London Knights for not teaching him how to be a two way centre in addition to the Oilers.

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB

I was chocked when TO drafted Marner, becuae I hate the Leafs. The Yotes should have taken him, not sure what they were thinking. They got memorized by the big C and missed the 3rd best player in the draft.

When is the super series, is McDavid playing?

ps, nevermind. This is the one during the year. McDavid won't play.

Oilception

Oct 11, 2012
St. Albert
I went camping with no cell phone all weekend and dont wanna go back through all these pages to find out

Is there legit rumors about Weber? or just people having fun with it?

StoveTopStauffer

Apr 6, 2012
I went camping with no cell phone all weekend and dont wanna go back through all these pages to find out

Is there legit rumors about Weber? or just people having fun with it?

SPOILER ALERT: Nothing happened at all while you were camping this weekend. Nothing at all.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
And meaner, and better defensively. Weber is a better player all around.

True, that said I'm still not sure if I add RNH to that trade package right now. I would move Draisaitl ++ but not RNH.

Draisaitl + Fayne + '16 1st unprotected, is that enough?

CaptainSexyPants

Sep 27, 2012
NSH trading Weber makes less and less sense as time goes on.

1) The return probably gets significantly worse each year they hang onto him
2) Being a budget conscious team, almost done paying the $14 and $12m years, he becomes somewhat of a bargain in 3 years - and Nashville is exactly the kind of team that won't mind a higher cap hit lower salary player.

He's the face of that franchise - the only reason they would trade him is money, and they've almost paid out the bulk of it already. Might as well hang on to him now.

Partially agree with the first bit about less sense as time goes on. You're right about the budget thing and lower return, but what's making it make sense for Nashville right now is Jones. If he's half as good as Nashville fans (and Poile) make him out to be, he's wasted on the 2nd pairing long-term. Yes, he's young and you can argue that it's too soon to be putting him on the top pair, but with Josi as his partner and a solid D below him..

They potentially have 3 #1 D on that roster along with a very good supporting cast. That's a luxury and their forward group is not good enough to justify it, IMO. If you can swap one of those RHD for a #1C and add 1 or 2 other fairly high end assets at the same time, I don't know why you wouldn't seriously consider it.

Assuming they did go on that line of thinking, where we're a little hooped is that it's too soon for an RNH trade to make sense for us, and too soon for Draisaitl to make sense for them. (Don't think I'd do a 22 year old RNH for a 30 year old Weber either, for what it's worth.)

StoveTopStauffer

Apr 6, 2012
I think I'd rather have Buff at his possible cost than Weber (yes I know who Weber is). I just think the assets spent for Weber would be too extreme imo. Either are unlikely though.

But I hold Buff higher than most probably do as I think when he is good and in shape, he's on Weber's level.

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
McQuaid is the defenceman Oilers need. He is nasty to play against. You can tell his strength when he took John Scott down fast. What a mentor he would be for Nurse and Reinhart + the other big defensive defenceman prospects Oilers have in the system.

Oilers are definitely in need of some more muscle in this lineup today.

I would fire up a blockbuster trade for him no problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad