Rumor: Rumors and Proposals Thread | Reseason Training Camp Opens July 13th?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Eberle was always a 50+ point or on pace for 50+ points player while he was in Edmonton. The only time he had less then 51 points for us was his rookie season, lockout season and 47 points in 69 games in 2015/16 which prorated would be a 55 point season. Eberle was great during his time as an Oiler.
Eberle was pretty great in his first few seasons I fully acknowledge that. Oddly enough Nuge’s production has actually increased since Eberle was dealt, and Nuge’s most common winger for 2/3 of those seasons was Milan Lucic. I don’t think Nuge had the ability to make up for Hall and Eberle’s massive shortcomings in their 2 way game and produce at a 60+ point pace. I think he has found his niche as a poor mans Bergeron type of player

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Well now that he has been with our club for 4 months he should know the system better and gel with linemates. :)

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
Goals are meaningless if your play style results in chaos. It's really difficult to get that through to people in EASHL. People think that goals and production absolve players of responsibility.

If AA doesn't buy in, he'll never get the ice time required to score goals. It's why all of his points here came in the first game.
You're using the EASHL as a way to explain something in the NHL? I reiterate... the NATIONAL HOCKEY LEAGUE?

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
Except Chris Kunitz was the polar opposite type player to AA, lol. He rode shotgun with Crosby because of his tenacity on the forecheck, grit, willingness to compete, hitting, and shot.

Does AA have any of those qualities? Seems like the opposite of who you'd want with McDavid.

I don't know why some of us take your opinion or critique seriously when nothing you say ever makes sense

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Except Chris Kunitz was the polar opposite type player to AA, lol. He rode shotgun with Crosby because of his tenacity on the forecheck, grit, willingness to compete, hitting, and shot.

Does AA have any of those qualities? Seems like the opposite of who you'd want with McDavid.
AA has a very good shot.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
This thread needs a AA pump up video!

Edit: just watched a couple of YouTube highlight videos. The guy should be playing RW instead of LW. Scored a bunch from right side

Last edited:
Reactions: MessierII

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
This thread needs a AA pump up video!

Edit: just watched a couple of YouTube highlight videos. The guy should be playing RW instead of LW. Scored a bunch from right side
He has played RW quite a bit actually. He’s played all forward positions at times.

Reactions: LTIR

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Try doing that in competitive club.

Systems matter, which was my whole point in regards to AA. If he doesn't buy in, he won't get the ice time.
The system of give me the puck and I score goals works just fine for me.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Dman. I've shut down some of the top ranked players in the game mode. But if I don't have a good team supporting me, it's all for none. The Ls pile up and the CR drops.

To kind of get back to my initial point. Try one-manning it against some of the LG teams in Club. You can't. You need to play a system, you need to move pucks quickly and accurately and you need to minimize your turnovers. Mistakes end up in your net.

Athanasiou is the perfect example of the guys who think they can.

His time on the Oilers seemed like more of a player that has skill but lacked confidence. He didn’t even try to one man it in any of the games he played here.

But to your point, yes it is possible for good drop in players to adapt to competitive club play. You don’t just write off a player’s natural ability.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
His time on the Oilers seemed like more of a player that has skill but lacked confidence. He didn’t even try to one man it in any of the games he played here.

But to your point, yes it is possible for good drop in players to adapt to competitive club play. You don’t just write off a player’s natural ability.
If we were talking about an NHL rookie, I'd be more inclined to agree with you. But we're talking about a 26 year old winger with a history of being unreceptive to teammates and coaches.

The point wasn't about players adapting. It was about that play style being ineffective against higher-end competition. AA is a talented player but I'm not convinced that the 30 goal version of him comes without the low-IQ, high risk stuff he's also known for.

Reactions: Mr Positive

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
If we were talking about an NHL rookie, I'd be more inclined to agree with you. But we're talking about a 26 year old winger with a history of being unreceptive to teammates and coaches.

The point wasn't about players adapting. It was about that play style being ineffective against higher-end competition. AA is a talented player but I'm not convinced that the 30 goal version of him comes without the low-IQ, high risk stuff he's also known for.

Even if he becomes an adaptable 20-goal-ish winger with speed, that's still valuable. Especially on this team.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Did AA play on Draisaitl line at all since arriving? I think he could work well with Drai and Yamamoto long term. We just need the Nuge-Drai-Yama line to cool down before trying him out.

Long term , Nuge,McD-Kassian line makes too much sense if AA can click on the 2nf line

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I think with AA Holland probably tries to sign him to a two-year deal at less than his qualifying offer. Heck maybe he'd take one year at less just for a chance to boost his numbers. He won't find a better place than Edmonton to get back to that 30 goal mark

Reactions: Draiskull

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
Proposals based on main boards discussions:

To EDM: Turris
To NSH: Neal

To EDM: M.McLeod
To NJ: Khaira

To OTT: EDM 1st
To EDM: OTT 2nd + NYI 2nd + VGK 2nd

To TOR: Larsson
To EDM: Kapanen

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009

3 2nds for a first? Isn't that pretty steep, especially considering Ottawa's 2nd is what the 2nd pick in the 2nd round?

Torn on the Turris deal. I think he is better than he's shown, but I really don't want to be adding another year of contract. Rather try move Neal for less term or just keep him for now.

On both Neal and Larsson I'll be very curious to see how things play out the next couple months. If both guys show up in the playoffs are they really guys we want to move?

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
3 2nds for a first? Isn't that pretty steep, especially considering Ottawa's 2nd is what the 2nd pick in the 2nd round?

Torn on the Turris deal. I think he is better than he's shown, but I really don't want to be adding another year of contract. Rather try move Neal for less term or just keep him for now.

On both Neal and Larsson I'll be very curious to see how things play out the next couple months. If both guys show up in the playoffs are they really guys we want to move?
OTT fans seem to be fine with it. They want quality and are willing to give the 2nds up for a 4th 1st round pick.
Other deals have the nod from fans of trading partners other than TOR who would want an extended Larsson before making the swap.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
OTT fans seem to be fine with it. They want quality and are willing to give the 2nds up for a 4th 1st round pick.
Other deals have the nod from fans of trading partners other than TOR who would want an extended Larsson before making the swap.
I think I rather the 3 picks. Unless there is someone that falls to us in the first that Holland really likes.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario

I'd do the first deal especially if you could get Nashville to retain say $750K on Turris. They save a full year so they might bite. Turris might actually fit with McDavid since 97 can play well with other centers in more of a hybrid role and Turris has the brains and the skill to complement McDavid.

The Torornto deal would not interest me unless Larsson pretty much says he won't re-sign. Even then I think it takes the team at least one full step back.

I don't know why Ottawa would do the third deal. And at the same time, unless the plan is to package some of these 2nds for an NHL player I am not sure it works out well for the Oilers. With the depth of this draft in terms of snipers that could go in the mid to late first I think that pick could very well be one you don't want to give away.

Khaira takes a lot of heat around here but at this point he is a legitimate NHL'er and a very good pk'er. Based only on his ability to kill penalties I think you lose this trade even though I really like Mike McLeod in the OHL.

Last edited:

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
I'd do the first deal especially if you could get Nashville to retain say $750K on Turris. They save a full year so they might bite. Turris might actually fit with McDavid since 97 can play well with other centers in more of a hybrid role and Turris has the brains and the skill to complement McDavid.

The Torornto deal would not interest me unless Larsson pretty much says he won't resign. Even then I think it takes the team at least one full step back.

I don't know why Ottawa would do the third deal. And at the same time, unless the plan is to package some of these 2nds for an NHL player I am not sure it works out well for the Oilers. With the depth of this draft in terms of snipers that could go in the mid to late first I think that pick could very well be one you don't want to give away.

Khaira takes a lot of heat around here but at this point he is a legitimate NHL'er and a very good pk'er. Based only on his ability to kill penalties I think you lose this trade even though I really like Mike McLeod in the OHL.
Doubt NSH retains anything. If anything they would want more from EDM. Maybe even an add of Puljujarvi.
Larsson we will have to keep unprotected for expansion so if we are keeping him hopefully Holland has a handshake deal with him prior to expansion draft.
OTT would probably prefer potentially adding a Foerster or Askarov at #20 than having 3 2nd round picks. Atleast some of their fans prefer it on mains.
4 first round picks in same draft + what they already have coming up should get them back up and running within 2-3 years.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia

Turris/Neal - We gain cap, and an extra year. I’d likely do it if Nashville retained some cap, since we’d likely be bringing Turris in to be the 3C, and his offense suffers in that role.

McLeod/Khaira - I don’t love the idea of hurting our depth. I do like the idea of having both brothers though. It might make them cheaper to extend. It all depends how high Holland is on McLeod.

pick swap - I haven’t followed the draft that closely this year, but I’m not usually a fan of trading down. We need cheap skill that can step into a big role. Kind of like Yamo did this year.

Kapanen/Larsson - Hard pass unless they’re adding. A top 4 dman for a middle 6 winger is a bad idea. Maybe even if they just gave us like Bracco or a 2nd

Reactions: Samus44
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad