Rumor: Rumors and Proposals Thread | Reseason Training Camp Opens July 13th?

Status
Not open for further replies.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
Holland needs to lock Bear in a Klefbom like deal.
Don't see any history of him proactively signing guys for cheap so not holding my breath.

We have 10M to sign Bear, Benning, Athanisou and Smith\another backup.

I agree that it would be nice to lock Bear down. I really hope that K.Russell has a good playoff and we can somehow unload him for a draft pick to free up some space. I still think hes a decent player but I think we can fill that slot with C.Jones.

duul

Jun 21, 2010
I really hope we move on from AA after this playoff run. Especially with Green talking about how him and the other vets in Detroit would try and explain things to him about the NHL that he just wasn't getting, rather refused to get.

Funny how he got traded and probably a part of him subconsciously felt he was thankful for getting to move away from someone like that. I'd like to hear more of his candid thoughts as he could've very easily won the Norris trophy twice in his career. He was an elite defenceman for quite a few years and seems to be an all around great guy. Glad Holland brought him in, and I understand the risk/reward factor with AA especially if he could catch fire for a playoff run.

Anyway, I just don't see AA fitting into the Oilers team at all. As a player or with the culture. Seems as though they have minimal tolerance at the moment for lack of buy in. That is part of the success and culture shift that guys like McDavid, Draisaitl, a mature Kassian, etc have brought.

I think Holland did a good job in identifying solid bottom 6ers in his first year, but more importantly he brought in guys who are known to be very good teammates (aside from AA). That's crucial.

Sorry, bit of a rambling post but...AA looked horrific in his time here so far, and has looked mostly-horrific his entire NHL career. Puts up some points at the expense of team success. Zero defensive acumen, zero will to put effort in unless he has a chance at a breakaway. Watching him 'battle' for the puck in his short stint here made me puke. He looked so out of place compared to the high compete level we've seen from almost all the players on our roster this year. I doubt that something changes, but I obviously hope it does.

Fixed to Ruin

Come wit it now!
Feb 28, 2007
Grande Prairie, AB
I really hope we move on from AA after this playoff run. Especially with Green talking about how him and the other vets in Detroit would try and explain things to him about the NHL that he just wasn't getting, rather refused to get.

Funny how he got traded and probably a part of him subconsciously felt he was thankful for getting to move away from someone like that. I'd like to hear more of his candid thoughts as he could've very easily won the Norris trophy twice in his career. He was an elite defenceman for quite a few years and seems to be an all around great guy. Glad Holland brought him in, and I understand the risk/reward factor with AA especially if he could catch fire for a playoff run.

Anyway, I just don't see AA fitting into the Oilers team at all. As a player or with the culture. Seems as though they have minimal tolerance at the moment for lack of buy in. That is part of the success and culture shift that guys like McDavid, Draisaitl, a mature Kassian, etc have brought.

I think Holland did a good job in identifying solid bottom 6ers in his first year, but more importantly he brought in guys who are known to be very good teammates (aside from AA). That's crucial.

Sorry, bit of a rambling post but...AA looked horrific in his time here so far, and has looked mostly-horrific his entire NHL career. Puts up some points at the expense of team success. Zero defensive acumen, zero will to put effort in unless he has a chance at a breakaway. Watching him 'battle' for the puck in his short stint here made me puke. He looked so out of place compared to the high compete level we've seen from almost all the players on our roster this year. I doubt that something changes, but I obviously hope it does.

Hopefully, AA ends up being the worst trade of the Holland era. We complain that Puljujarvi was terrible with his decision making and positioning on the ice. AA looked just as clueless out there. We aren't going to win more games with him in the lineup.

duul

Jun 21, 2010
Hopefully, AA ends up being the worst trade of the Holland era. We complain that Puljujarvi was terrible with his decision making and positioning on the ice. AA looked just as clueless out there. We aren't going to win more games with him in the lineup.
It's sad that both Jurco and Benson both looked more effective than him. At least in terms of effort level, defensive acumen, and things related to winning hockey games. Don't think the Oilers are at a point where having such a one-dimensional player is worth keeping in the lineup. I honestly hope he is healthied within a game or two of these playoffs in favour of Nygard/Haas/Benson.

Contrast to Ennis who we got for a 5th rounder rather than two 2nds...Ennis looked quite good.

Fixed to Ruin

Come wit it now!
Feb 28, 2007
Grande Prairie, AB
It's sad that both Jurco and Benson both looked more effective than him. At least in terms of effort level, defensive acumen, and things related to winning hockey games. Don't think the Oilers are at a point where having such a one-dimensional player is worth keeping in the lineup. I honestly hope he is healthied within a game or two of these playoffs in favour of Nygard/Haas/Benson.

Contrast to Ennis who we got for a 5th rounder rather than two 2nds...Ennis looked quite good.

Yes. Considering AA is 25 and has 303 NHL games and 2 seasons in the AHL under his belt. What he's shown so far is on the same level as what i would expect from an 18/19 year old coming from juniors.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
I personally think we need to give AA some more time before we crucify him but yeah I agree that the trade doesnt look good. Its nice that we have his rights, he may be better next year but a $3.5 qualifying offer on a flat cap isnt very good either. I liked Holland doing something at the trade deadline but the trade doesnt look good for us, especially now with a flat cap. Hopefully AA has settled in and comes in hungry for playoffs but I will believe it when I see it.

Reactions: PaulBissonnette

yegoldboysclub

Jan 30, 2019
Agreed. The talent is there. He's also shown he can produce at the NHL level.

Yep we know what Ennis can do, and I do like him. But is there ever going to be a better time to find chemistry between AA and 97. Two top lines like that and look out!!

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
There were times where I thought Ennis was McDavid. I thought either him or AA finds chemistry with McDavid.

fireantz

Mar 15, 2007
IMO the playoffs were the goal. Now the playoff goal is determining if/where AA, Ennis and Green fit before they resign. Also hope Neal proves he still has a role here

BudBundy

May 16, 2005
I know some others have mused about it, but how much C has Athanasiou played in the NHL? Would he be a 3rd line C solution? With his speed you’d figure he could be a good guy to match up against other scoring lines but still be a threat to score, even with lesser wingers. Can he take faceoffs? I dunno?

*edit*. Career 42% on faceoffs. Blecchh.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Thank god Holland isn't as fickle as this fanbase, a fanbase that was ready to throw Yamamoto in the scrap heap earlier this season, a fanbase that was heavily criticizing Holland not even a month into his tenure. It's been 9 games people, 9 games removed from playing on one of the worst teams in history straight into a playoff race so lets dial back the AA criticism a bit.

The fact of the matter is that AA has a skillset that you can't teach. He can skate and has goal scoring instinct, two attributes that have been in short supply on wing for the Oilers the last few years. 30 goals and 54 points just two years ago. He would have been, BY FAR, the top scoring Oiler winger outside of Draisaitl the last two years. There's a lot of talent to tap into with this player.

Honestly, I wasn't as gung ho as some others were on the trade (thought two 2nds was a bit steep) but he has the talent and proven production to be worth a longer trial run to learn under Tippett and become a positive contributor. Holland will qualify him and give him at least a year to acclimate and rightfully so.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
I know some others have mused about it, but how much C has Athanasiou played in the NHL? Would he be a 3rd line C solution? With his speed you’d figure he could be a good guy to match up against other scoring lines but still be a threat to score, even with lesser wingers. Can he take faceoffs? I dunno?

*edit*. Career 42% on faceoffs. Blecchh.
If he doesn’t work out on connors wing I would like to see them try him at center. He did play a decent amount in Detroit.

Whyme

Nov 3, 2019
It's very early, but maybe some people have too high expectations. His average ppg in the NHL is 0,51, which is practically the same as Ryan Spooner (0,52). The good part is AA is young enough to get it going again. The bad part is that his +- was the worst of the NHL last season so maybe working on the defensive side of the game eats some of the offensive production, I don't know.

Last edited:

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
There were times where I thought Ennis was McDavid. I thought either him or AA finds chemistry with McDavid.

I love how fearless he is on the attack for such a small guy.

I think next season you can rotate AA/Ennis on the top line depending on who's going. I also really liked Archibald on the top line and would like to see him there more.

I also believe that with the cost paid for AA you have to give him a full year, if for no other reason than to recoup some trade value.

AA/Ennis-McDavid-Archibald
RNH-Drai-Yamo
Ennis/AA-C-Kassian
Nygard-Haas-Chiasson
Khaira/Russell

Neal's the stick in the mud at this point. I like his contributions on the powerplay, but with a flat cap it's going to be tough to find a spot for him.

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
Yeah writing off AA after less then a quarter of a season would be incredibly short sighted, even more so considering he's been on a basement dweller the last few years. Holland and Tippett clearly targeted this player for acquisition, there was plenty of other options they could of picked up for two 2nd rounders. They clearly like his speed and scoring ability and feel the coaching staff can help him elevate his overall game. I think he was a guy who was on a bad team that lacked strong coaching/structure and was given too much leash because he was one of the only guys who could score and he developed some bad habits.

Tippett is a great teacher and has a way of matching players abilities to a specific role and then teaching them how to be successful in that role. Again, they clearly targeted this player because of his skill set with a specific role in mind and I think that role is to eventually flank 97. No doubt they've got some bad habits to break and that's going to take some time, but they've got the right coach for the job and AA should understand that he's got a real opportunity staring him in the face. He can skate and he can score, if he listens to Tippett he could find himself riding shotgun to McDavid for years kinda like Chris Kunitz and Crosby.

Speaking of Chris Kunitz, that guy played 15 NHL seasons and made the playoffs every year except 2 (09-09 with ANA and his last season 18-19 with Chi) over 150 playoff games. Not related at all, I just thought that was pretty incredible.

Edit: Kunitz was traded to the Pens in 08-09 so technically only missed once.

Reactions: onetweasy

duul

Jun 21, 2010
Yeah writing off AA after less then a quarter of a season would be incredibly short sighted, even more so considering he's been on a basement dweller the last few years. Holland and Tippett clearly targeted this player for acquisition, there was plenty of other options they could of picked up for two 2nd rounders. They clearly like his speed and scoring ability and feel the coaching staff can help him elevate his overall game. I think he was a guy who was on a bad team that lacked strong coaching/structure and was given too much leash because he was one of the only guys who could score and he developed some bad habits.

Tippett is a great teacher and has a way of matching players abilities to a specific role and then teaching them how to be successful in that role. Again, they clearly targeted this player because of his skill set with a specific role in mind and I think that role is to eventually flank 97. No doubt they've got some bad habits to break and that's going to take some time, but they've got the right coach for the job and AA should understand that he's got a real opportunity staring him in the face. He can skate and he can score, if he listens to Tippett he could find himself riding shotgun to McDavid for years kinda like Chris Kunitz and Crosby.

Speaking of Chris Kunitz, that guy played 15 NHL seasons and made the playoffs every year except 2 (09-09 with ANA and his last season 18-19 with Chi) over 150 playoff games. Not related at all, I just thought that was pretty incredible.

Edit: Kunitz was traded to the Pens in 08-09 so technically only missed once.
Except Chris Kunitz was the polar opposite type player to AA, lol. He rode shotgun with Crosby because of his tenacity on the forecheck, grit, willingness to compete, hitting, and shot.

Does AA have any of those qualities? Seems like the opposite of who you'd want with McDavid.

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
Except Chris Kunitz was the polar opposite type player to AA, lol. He rode shotgun with Crosby because of his tenacity on the forecheck, grit, willingness to compete, hitting, and shot.

Does AA have any of those qualities? Seems like the opposite of who you'd want with McDavid.

Well first of all McDavid isn’t Crosby, they dominate the game in completely different ways, so it’s reasonable that the players they clock best with wouldn’t be the same. The example of comparing AA to Kunitz is situational, not suggesting they are similar players skillset wise. The Pens targeted Kunitz specifically because they felt he would be a good fit for Crosby, much like they’ve now done with Zucker.

AA can skate and he can put the puck in the net, two skills that should be at the top of the list when you’re scouting players to play with McDavid. No doubt he has some warts in his game, otherwise you wouldn’t get him for a pair of 2nds. But he’s got a nice package of size, speed and shooting/goal scoring that could fit well with McDavid. Now the work starts to break his bad habits, raise the compete level and train him how best to be effective with 97, and I trust Tippett do be able to get more out of this player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->