Rumor: Rumors and Proposals Thread | Reseason Training Camp Opens July 13th?

Status
Not open for further replies.

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
Lol this isn't Peter pan, what people say about him on a message board has absolutely no bearing on whether or not he's successful.

I'm not sure why you're here rallying for everyone to chant they do believe in fairies in order turn him into a quality player.

Perception is reality. The more people perceive something and create a narrative, the more other people are likely to believe it.

Lets take a step back for a second. For as long as I can remember eastern fans and media hype up their players to no end. Each prospect they draft is the next superstar in waiting. Each guy that breaks out is a real deal. Everyone on the team is highly valued.

The opposite appears to be true in the west. Players break out and they still have to prove that they can sustain that production. Even if a player looks great we still tend to focus on the negatives. We de-value our assets.

Back when we traded Jeff Petry fans had him as the whipping boy because "he doesnt play physical enough". Well guess what? That's not his game. He only went on to solidify Montreals defence.

We need to add value to our assets not devalue them. This in part is from fans and media. They have been really harsh in Edmonton. I even remember a game this year were Draisaitl put up 3 points but struggled defensively. Fans had unrealistic expectations for the leagues leading scorer. They were incredibly upset with Draisaitl because of his defensive play sayin he needs to be better. Give the guy some freaking leash instead of jumping on his back when something goes wrong.

Reactions: The Nuge

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Is Ryan Strome still the most effective trade acquisition of the past 2 seasons? Does it stretch back even further?
Strome was pretty garbage here.
Couldn't make it as top 6 and wasn't good enough to C the 3rd line. Glad he is working out in NY.

Best would be Neal deal easily considering what we gave up for him.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Couldn't make it as top 6 and wasn't good enough to C the 3rd line. Glad he is working out in NY.

He was good enough to c the 3rd line. When we was doing so his line was offensively not doing anything at the time but they were great defensively. They simply weren't getting scored on.

Reactions: TB12 and Samus44

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Perception is reality. The more people perceive something and create a narrative, the more other people are likely to believe it.

Lets take a step back for a second. For as long as I can remember eastern fans and media hype up their players to no end. Each prospect they draft is the next superstar in waiting. Each guy that breaks out is a real deal. Everyone on the team is highly valued.

The opposite appears to be true in the west. Players break out and they still have to prove that they can sustain that production. Even if a player looks great we still tend to focus on the negatives. We de-value our assets.

Back when we traded Jeff Petry fans had him as the whipping boy because "he doesnt play physical enough". Well guess what? That's not his game. He only went on to solidify Montreals defence.

We need to add value to our assets not devalue them. This in part is from fans and media. They have been really harsh in Edmonton. I even remember a game this year were Draisaitl put up 3 points but struggled defensively. Fans had unrealistic expectations for the leagues leading scorer. They were incredibly upset with Draisaitl because of his defensive play sayin he needs to be better. Give the guy some freaking leash instead of jumping on his back when something goes wrong.
Hmm, so should I feel guilty if Drai doesn't win the Hart?

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
9/5/14 in 37
18/11/29 in 64
16/17/33 in 71
30/24/54 in 76
10/14/24 in 46

Even with a down year this year, this looks like a kid who has improved every year in the league on a bad team and posted 30 goals a season ago on a horrible team.

If people want to keep hoarding late second round picks because the above player was having his first down year and in 9 games after a trade hadn't found his stride, then I don't think they even want the team to succeed. AA didn't luck into 30 goals last year on a terrible Detroit team. He has the skill to score in this league, and has a great opportunity to take a spot next to McD or Drai moving forward. Regardless of what you think of the opinions on his character and willingness to buy in, you have to be willing to give him more than 9 games to adjust before we go crying about wasting what amounts to a couple of slim chances at a player who could even score 30 goals.

Thankfully, most people who run these organizations aren't as knee jerk as fans, and I expect AA to find a role here and help us win. Mr. Holland had done a great job so far and people need to step back and have some faith in him because he's already earned it.

Edit: I agree with above posters. People are way too keen to let the doom and gloom sink in.
I don't actually hate the acquisition. I do however don't think he has what it takes to be an effective top 6 winger on a playoff team. He has always been too selfish as a player.

People saying trade him already is crazy I agree with that. His contract won't be much after the season he had anyways so at 3ish mill it he ends up the 3rd liner like I think that's not bad at all.

I do think people expecting him to be a great top 6 30 goal scorer are setting themselves up for dissapointment. He is definitely more of the 30-35 point player like has been for all but one season. And there is nothing wrong with that. Having a guy who can score 15+ goals on the third line is valuable and he can fill in, in the top 6 when needed

I just firmly think people expecting him to be a solution in the top 6 will be dissapointed.

I mean yes, he could absolutely change his game to be more of a team player and not a liability defensively. But that's entirely up to him, he has the opportunity here

TLDR: Don't trade him that's silly. Expecting him to be a 30 goal scorer fixture in the top 6 is also silly.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
He was good enough to c the 3rd line. When we was doing so his line was offensively not doing anything at the time but they were great defensively. They simply weren't getting scored on.
If this was true he would not have been traded. There was nothing "great" about his game in Edmonton.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
I don't actually hate the acquisition. I do however don't think he has what it takes to be an effective top 6 winger on a playoff team. He has always been too selfish as a player.

People saying trade him already is crazy I agree with that. His contract won't be much after the season he had anyways so at 3ish mill it he ends up the 3rd liner like I think that's not bad at all.

I do think people expecting him to be a great top 6 30 goal scorer are setting themselves up for dissapointment. He is definitely more of the 30-35 point player like has been for all but one season. And there is nothing wrong with that. Having a guy who can score 15+ goals on the third line is valuable and he can fill in, in the top 6 when needed

I just firmly think people expecting him to be a solution in the top 6 will be dissapointed.

I mean yes, he could absolutely change his game to be more of a team player and not a liability defensively. But that's entirely up to him, he has the opportunity here

TLDR: Don't trade him that's silly. Expecting him to be a 30 goal scorer fixture in the top 6 is also silly.
He is going to be our Klima this year.
Benched for most night in a close game only to score a big OT winner !

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton

He was really focusing on his defensive game while being the 3C here. If we kept him he would have never been more then a 30 point player in that role. With Panarin on his wing and more minutes he’s turned into an almost PPG player. The one thing we could question about him is how he would have looked on RW with McDavid or a Draisaitl. I thought he was an asset to the team and trading him for Spooner was a boneheaded trade.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
If this was true he would not have been traded. There was nothing "great" about his game in Edmonton.
You are talking about Chiarelli who traded big picks for a horrible defender. There is no logic to how Chiarelli traded so you can't use the "he was traded" as a knock on him

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada

Strome was exactly what we should've expected him to be here and the moment we traded him, we needed exactly what he was--a right shot third line C who can contribute to the special teams. His production would have eventually balanced out had we not foolishly flipped him for a half-assed attempt at improving our scoring depth at the time.

That being said, what he's doing in NY isn't something that would've realistically happened here. I look forward to seeing how it effects their cap situation moving forward though.

Reactions: TB12

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
It actually is true that his line was giving up very little. The trade happened at a time when the team was desperate for depth scoring.

In his last year with the Oilers: 5Vs5

TOI 193 min CF% 53.65% GF 3 GA 4 HDCA 32

4 GA in 193 minutes is a rate of 1.24 GA/60.

Now none of these are individual stats but at the time I would say the eye test had him playing excellent defensive hockey. Given that his most common line mates by far were Lucic, JP and Caggiula it would be tought to argue that he was being carried defensively by someone else. Lucic, Strome and JP played 32 minutes together and gave up no goals with a CF% of 58.49%. They also had an xGA rate of .89/60 which means that they were not giving up much in the way of chances. Strome and JP played 63 minutes together and gave up 1 goal. Small sample size of course but it backs up the claim.

Reactions: CycloneSweep

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
It actually is true that his line was giving up very little. The trade happened at a time when the team was desperate for depth scoring.

In his last year with the Oilers: 5Vs5

TOI 193 min CF% 53.65% GF 3 GA 4 HDCA 32

4 GA in 193 minutes is a rate of 1.24 GA/60.

Now none of these are individual stats but at the time I would say the eye test had him playing excellent defensive hockey. Given that his most common line mates by far were Lucic, JP and Caggiula it would be tought to argue that he was being carried defensively by someone else. Lucic, Strome and JP played 32 minutes together and gave up no goals. Strome and JP played 63 minutes together and gave up 1 goal. Small sample size of course but it backs up the claim.
And then we trade him for Spooner who was on ice for 4 goals against in I think it was, his first 4 periods

BarDownBobo

Oct 19, 2012
City of Champions
In retrospect this was a horrid trade. Strome as the #3C would look pretty good right now.
Don’t even need retrospect for that, it was a horrible trade the second they announced it. I know some might disagree with me but I firmly believe Chia’s two worst moves were trading away Strome and trading away Caggiula. While his valuation was way off on a lot of other moves I think at the time the basis of them made some sense. Those two specifically were ridiculous from the second they were made, and it sucks because they’d be 2/3 of a pretty decent third line for the team right now.

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
I'm confused are we not evaluating after the 9 games or these 9 games too precious that we cant afford to waste?

If people criticized the trade at the time, I'm fine with that. Those people are entitled to their opinion and dont have to be a fan of the player. If they think two late second rounders are some kings random, I would disagree. You are going to get a player with some warts for that cost.

My beef is with those writing him off after just 9 games. We can be patient. He isnt a UFA. Let's believe in the kid and support him so that he reaches his potential.

No this is HFOil. We throw players under the bus and hate them after 2-3 games played.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Don’t even need retrospect for that, it was a horrible trade the second they announced it. I know some might disagree with me but I firmly believe Chia’s two worst moves were trading away Strome and trading away Caggiula. While his valuation was way off on a lot of other moves I think at the time the basis of them made some sense. Those two specifically were ridiculous from the second they were made, and it sucks because they’d be 2/3 of a pretty decent third line for the team right now.
Strome and Reinhart, I'd say. I still say losing Caggiula had very little impact on the quality up front, regardless of what we got back for him. He wouldn't be a regular in the lineup today. The Reinhart deal with hindsight available to us hurt our depth for many years following and helped set a bad precedent for what we were willing to pay to address the need on defense.

Last edited:

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
In retrospect this was a horrid trade. Strome as the #3C would look pretty good right now.
Not sure how much he was being used on PK but a 3.2M #3C who wasn't scoring, nor winning faceoffs and wasn't physical may not be looking good right now. We probably would not make the AA for 2x2nd deal due to cap so some potential benefit there.

Caggiula for Moron was the worst possible deal a GM could make.
Thats like SJ trading for Hoffman and reuniting him with Karlsson.

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010
They were really snake bitten. I his first season he was BY FAR our best bottom 6er Nd in his sscond he carried Lucic on his back and the line did good. The team had a winning record iirc when Chiarelli made his panic trade and Strome was a big part. Reportedly the deal REALLY upset Mclellan and I can't say I blame him.

Not Canada Drai

♧ Lem
Jul 7, 2019
Edmonton
They were really snake bitten. I his first season he was BY FAR our best bottom 6er Nd in his sscond he carried Lucic on his back and the line did good. The team had a winning record iirc when Chiarelli made his panic trade and Strome was a big part. Reportedly the deal REALLY upset Mclellan and I can't say I blame him.

Typical HFOil where the fans want to trade a player when his value is lowest and then the management does (not saying HFOil runs the Oilers but fan and media pressure apparently play a role here) and boom we lose a trade. Rinse. Repeat.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario

Through the first 15 games of last season, he had the best possession metrics on the team(54.8% CF, 55.8 SCF%) and had been on the ice for only two goals against at 5v5 while playing about 40% of his ice time against top lines.

The offense wasn't there, but it's pretty tough to be more snake bitten than the 2.33 onSH% that line had. Both his wingers(Lucic and Pulju) had 0% shooting percentages haha.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Not sure how much he was being used on PK but a 3.2M #3C who wasn't scoring, nor winning faceoffs and wasn't physical may not be looking good right now. We probably would not make the AA for 2x2nd deal due to cap so some potential benefit there.

Caggiula for Moron was the worst possible deal a GM could make.
Thats like SJ trading for Hoffman and reuniting him with Karlsson.
Strome played almost 31 minutes in 18 games on the pk or 1:41 per game which tied him with Nuge for the highest total for forwards on the team that year. And the pk was fairly successful while he was on the ice with a 5.89 GA/60 to lead all forwards. The next best was Kassian at 7.86 though of course Strome only played 18 games. He was also one of the Rangers go to guys on the pk with 2:16 per game. He also had the lowest GA/60 of the Rangers regular pk'ing forwards.

Not that I care about FO% as a stat but Strome was at 48.8% in his last year here and 50.7% in the DZ.

I'd take Strome in a heartbeat as the team's #3C.

alphahelix

Feb 15, 2007
Strome played almost 31 minutes in 18 games on the pk or 1:41 per game which tied him with Nuge for the highest total for forwards on the team that year. And the pk was fairly successful while he was on the ice with a 5.89 GA/60 to lead all forwards. The next best was Kassian at 7.86 though of course Strome only played 18 games. He was also one of the Rangers go to guys on the pk with 2:16 per game. He also had the lowest GA/60 of the Rangers regular pk'ing forwards.

Not that I care about FO% as a stat but Strome was at 48.8% in his last year here and 50.7% in the DZ.

I'd take Strome in a heartbeat as the team's #3C.

There are a ton of posters here that literally evaluate players like this:

Is he currently an Oiler?
If NO: He was a cancer. He is not welcome here.
If YES :
Is he the current goat? : If Yes -> TRADE HIM
If No -> He is infallible.

No other evidence need be considered.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad