Rumor: Rumors and Proposals Thread | Reseason Training Camp Opens July 13th?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018

There also has been rumors for years that he often doesn't get along with coaches.

Hence why I said rumors. Don't know if the above tweet is a real quote in the end or not, but I can't see him lying and it does fit with how AA was playing in Detroit for a while

Haha I was just messing with you.

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
It's not like the second round picks we gave up are going to be 32-33. Detroit is likely going to get guys like Roby Jarventie or Roni Hirvonen.

I would easily trade Hirvonen and Jarventie for AA.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
It's not like the second round picks we gave up are going to be 32-33. Detroit is likely going to get guys like Roby Jarventie or Roni Hirvonen.

Not this version of AA.. I wouldn't even trade Chiasson for AA. Hopefully he adjusts and shows he can do more than what Puljujarvi gave us last year.

Reactions: Aerchon

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Not this version of AA.. I wouldn't even trade Chiasson for AA. Hopefully he adjusts and shows he can do more than what Puljujarvi gave us last year.
Here is the interesting thing about your comment. Chaisson was himself an early second round pick and is the 4th highest scoring person in the second round of the 2009 draft. 14 of the 31 picks in that round never made the 30 game mark in the NHL. Anton Lander was in the top 3rd of that round. So while picks have more value than this sort of thing would suggest they should. In reality you are very unlikely to get an Alex Chaisson out of two later second round picks.

Reactions: LTIR

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3

And what "version" of Athanasiou did we trade for?

The one that's only played 9 freaking games?

The one that's coming from the worst team in the league?

The one that's learning a new system?

The one that's played a total of 1 game with McDavid?

It pisses me off to no end that Oiler fans are able to form an opinion on a player and judge them so quickly. Very few guys are able to jump right in.

If fans were in charge we would have written off Draisaitl after his first 37 game season. The same fans who didnt think Yamamoto was able to be an NHL player after his 9 game and 17 game stints. Heck I remember when Klefbom was in the minors and people had written him off.

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018

You'd trade a top six forward for something that's not guaranteed? Smart

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013

It pisses me off to no end that Oiler fans are able to form an opinion on a player and judge them so quickly. Very few guys are able to jump right in.

If fans were in charge we would have written off Draisaitl after his first 37 game season. The same fans who didnt think Yamamoto was able to be an NHL player after his 9 game and 17 game stints. Heck I remember when Klefbom was in the minors and people had written him off.
Yup the one who is -46 on the season and who averaged 12mins a night for Oilers. If it wasn't for the price we paid to acquire him he would be up on the PB already.

Like I said, hopefully he adjusts and starts contributing but it being a best of 5 he may not have enough rope especially if Neal and Nygard are healthy and if Khaira and Chiasson look decent.

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018

THIS!!!!!!!

It pisses me off when players make opinions off of rumours or from what their friends told them

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
Yup the one who is -46 on the season and who averaged 12mins a night for Oilers. If it wasn't for the price we paid to acquire him he would up in the PB already.

Like I said, hopefully he adjusts and starts contributing but it being a best of 5 he may not have enough rope especially if Neal and Nygard are healthy and if Khaira and Chiasson look decent.
HE PLAYED 9 GAMES WITH US. 9 games is enough to label a player? Draisaitl played 37 games and had 9 points. I guess he must've been a bust as well?

Reactions: McDoused

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
HE PLAYED 9 GAMES WITH US. 9 games is enough to label a player? Draisaitl played 37 games and had 9 points. I guess he must've been a bust as well?
What you have to understand is this isn't a rookie trying to break into the NHL. It's a player who has played numerous NHL seasons, so they have all that to also judge the player off of.

This is saying nothing about AA but saying he only played 9 games for us makes sense for a rookie but people are allowed to form opinions about a player based on their other NHL experience.

Also some hockey fans watch more than one team, they don't just watch one team.

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
What you have to understand is this isn't a rookie trying to break into the NHL. It's a player who has played numerous NHL seasons, so they have all that to also judge the player off of.

This is saying nothing about AA but saying he only played 9 games for us makes sense for a rookie but people are allowed to form opinions about a player based on their other NHL experience.

Also some hockey fans watch more than one team, they don't just watch one team.

Oh right so let's compare him to some of the other guys who where traded at the deadline.

Barclay Goodrow has a whopping 2 points in 8 games and cost a 1st round pick.

Blake Coleman has 1 point in 9 games and also cost a 1st rounder.

Jean Gabriel Pageau has 2 points in 7 games and cost a boatload of picks.

This doesn't make them bad players, it just takes some time to adjust.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Oh right so let's compare him to some of the other guys who where traded at the deadline.

But no one here is basing their critique on 9 games here alone, they are basing it off of the last season+ of his game.

Panda Bear

Apr 2, 2010

The difference is that all those players you brought up weren't garbage the entire season.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013

No one is arguing that. Is Pageau doing other things right for his team despite not scoring? AA played like a worse version of Puljujarvi in the 9 games here. With 3 losses and out format it is okay for us to scratch him after a couple losses and let him do his adjusting next season.

Same goes for Ennis and Green. AA should not get more rope because we paid a lot more for him.

These are not bad players as you said but we don't have the time right now.

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
The difference is that all those players you brought up weren't garbage the entire season.

That's a fair point. I dont see him as a guy that was brought in to immediately produce. Hes got some warts and comes from a losing culture. Hes going to have to buy into Tippetts system, focus on playing the game the right way and play to his strengths.

Reactions: Samus44

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
But no one here is basing their critique on 9 games here alone, they are basing it off of the last season+ of his game.

No one is arguing that. Is Pageau doing other things right for his team despite not scoring? AA played like a worse version of Puljujarvi in the 9 games here. With 3 losses and out format it is okay for us to scratch him after a couple losses and let him do his adjusting next season.

Same goes for Ennis and Green. AA should not get more rope because we paid a lot more for him.

These are not bad players as you said but we don't have the time right now.

I'm confused are we not evaluating after the 9 games or these 9 games too precious that we cant afford to waste?

If people criticized the trade at the time, I'm fine with that. Those people are entitled to their opinion and dont have to be a fan of the player. If they think two late second rounders are some kings random, I would disagree. You are going to get a player with some warts for that cost.

My beef is with those writing him off after just 9 games. We can be patient. He isnt a UFA. Let's believe in the kid and support him so that he reaches his potential.

ConnorMcNugesaitl

Sep 23, 2012
I'm confused are we not evaluating after the 9 games or these 9 games too precious that we cant afford to waste?

If people criticized the trade at the time, I'm fine with that. Those people are entitled to their opinion and dont have to be a fan of the player. If they think two late second rounders are some kings random, I would disagree. You are going to get a player with some warts for that cost.

My beef is with those writing him off after just 9 games. We can be patient. He isnt a UFA. Let's believe in the kid and support him so that he reaches his potential.

Lol this isn't Peter pan, what people say about him on a message board has absolutely no bearing on whether or not he's successful.

I'm not sure why you're here rallying for everyone to chant they do believe in fairies in order turn him into a quality player.

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay

Sometimes I wish we could take posts like this and do kind of a mean tweets style segment where Ken Holland and other NHL general managers read them so we can see their reaction. I think it would be funny.

Reactions: KYams17

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010
Lol this isn't Peter pan, what people say about him on a message board has absolutely no bearing on whether or not he's successful.

I'm not sure why you're here rallying for everyone to chant they do believe in fairies in order turn him into a quality player.

No, that's simply not true. When a fan base jumps all over a player the pressure can really affect guys, it's happened a lot in Edmonton and is a big reason why some players don't like playing here. Ryan Whitney has talked about how hard it was for him here and it's been clearly an issue for many. These players are humans and are, like all people, affected by negativity and the pressure it creates. I've seen guys/gals in my own life in professional settings struggle with bosses and co workers riding/judging them too hard. Pressure and the fear of others judging you is why people tend to make more mistakes while being bird dogged.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
No, that's simply not true. When a fan base jumps all over a player the pressure can really affect guys, it's happened a lot in Edmonton and is a big reason why some players don't like playing here. Ryan Whitney has talked about how hard it was for him here and it's been clearly an issue for many. These players are humans and are, like all people, affected by negativity and the pressure it creates. I've seen guys/gals in my own life in professional settings struggle with bosses and co workers riding/judging them too hard. Pressure and the fear of others judging you is why people tend to make more mistakes while being bird dogged.
We tend to think that it is only on HF that players get blistered. But pretty much anything you see here is repeated on local radio stations and surely on other social media outlets. The fan base right now is a lot harder on players than I remember in the distant past. I also think that the younger players are more likely to hear the criticisms than they would have 25 years ago.

Canadian fans can be pretty brutal to hockey players because so many fans think of themselves as experts. Of course there is some truth to the fact that the fan base would be more knowledgeable in Edmonton than in some other cities. But it is easy to forget that many of these guys are still just kids or barely adults.

For older players it is often the families that take the hit. Kids being bullied at school because of their dad. For me this is simply unacceptable. I think this is why it is more common for older players to want to play in a place where hockey is not very highly supported in the community. Getting booed on the ice is one thing, but to expose your kids to abuse is not something many parents want to happen.

Expectation a of a reasonable amounts of criticism come with the job. But too often things go way to far.

Last edited:

frag2

Mar 8, 2006

People were hard on Whitney? I dont remember that. IIRC, the only thing people were annoyed with him was his inability to stay healthy. It's no different than people harping about Klefbom being out for parts of a season seemingly every season.

Whitney is also a douchebag off the ice. If he couldn't handle criticism, then I guess he's he typical 'can dish but can't take' type

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010
People were hard on Whitney? I dont remember that. IIRC, the only thing people were annoyed with him was his inability to stay healthy. It's no different than people harping about Klefbom being out for parts of a season seemingly every season.

Whitney is also a douchebag off the ice. If he couldn't handle criticism, then I guess he's he typical 'can dish but can't take' type

I'm not looking to debate whether he was right or wrong for him to be bothered or if it was that bad, I'm just bringing him up as a player i recently heard complain about his experience in terms of fan feedback. I'm also not commenting on his personality. I do think we could point out a lot more examples of players who got it far worse but that isn't my point.

My point is as humans we all have a desire to be recognized as a worthwhile and valued person and the extreme pressures mounted throughout popular media can be overwhelming for most people to deal with, especially in this day and age with social media. All I'm saying is patience and being considerate does have merit. Too often people look to criticize as quickly as possible and without concern towards being constructive or how it will affect others. Even if the player has thick skin the effect it can have on family can cause reverberations that can and will effect the player which may show up on the ice.

alphahelix

Feb 15, 2007
Is Ryan Strome still the most effective trade acquisition of the past 2 seasons? Does it stretch back even further?

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
9/5/14 in 37
18/11/29 in 64
16/17/33 in 71
30/24/54 in 76
10/14/24 in 46

Even with a down year this year, this looks like a kid who has improved every year in the league on a bad team and posted 30 goals a season ago on a horrible team.

If people want to keep hoarding late second round picks because the above player was having his first down year and in 9 games after a trade hadn't found his stride, then I don't think they even want the team to succeed. AA didn't luck into 30 goals last year on a terrible Detroit team. He has the skill to score in this league, and has a great opportunity to take a spot next to McD or Drai moving forward. Regardless of what you think of the opinions on his character and willingness to buy in, you have to be willing to give him more than 9 games to adjust before we go crying about wasting what amounts to a couple of slim chances at a player who could even score 30 goals.

Thankfully, most people who run these organizations aren't as knee jerk as fans, and I expect AA to find a role here and help us win. Mr. Holland had done a great job so far and people need to step back and have some faith in him because he's already earned it.

Edit: I agree with above posters. People are way too keen to let the doom and gloom sink in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad