Proposal: Rumors and Proposals Thread: Painted Yourself into a Corner Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oilfan2

13.5%
Aug 12, 2005
I'd do that trade quickly. Although, they'd ask for the 2nd to be changed to a 1st.
Why the devil would we even consider a deal like this? We'd give up all that for a 35 year old D on his last legs?

If Mantha stays in the deal, then it might be reasonable. Otherwise...nfw...

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Why the devil would we even consider a deal like this? We'd give up all that for a 35 year old D on his last legs?

If Mantha stays in the deal, then it might be reasonable. Otherwise...nfw...
Why can't Mantha stay, he's still and RFA at the end of his deal, and I think Daley has a bit more game left then you're suggesting.

dustrock

Too Legit To Quit
Sep 22, 2008
He'll never be that player again IMO. That injury is devastating and there's age to factor in too, he's lost basically 2 full seasons at this point.

Kobe Bryant is about as hard of a worker a you can get in an athlete and he was a shadow of himself after a full achilles tear. When you get it in your 30s, it's really bad.

It's a horrible injury to have in your 20s ... in your 30s .... it's a career killer.

While I generally agree with this being a catastrophic injury, I seem to recall examples of hockey players who were able to recover in a way that basketball players couldn't.

Oilers defenceman Andrej Sekera out indefinitely after surgery on torn Achilles

Matheson said Justin Williams tore his Achilles sprinting in September and was back playing by December.

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
Err... what does Daley bring to the table that Russell doesn't?

The Oil need someone that can drive the play, not another "2-way" guy. If you're targeting someone from Detroit, Green's the only name the really makes sense.

RegDunlop

Nov 5, 2016
Edmonton
The Oilers are over the yearly cap of $79.5M. But they can be because of Sekera on LTIR. The key here though is that they are not accumulating cap space to be used later for a player with a more significant cap hit.

Ok
Thank you! Got it. It is acceptable to be over right now due to the LTIR.

Still not quite understanding why we don't add, only reason I can fathom is nothing significant to obtain right now.

Thanks again.

redgrant

Nov 2, 2013
explain how we can afford Nylander at about 8 mill a year?

Like I said if they didn't have Lucic here 85%of Nylander cap space would go to him. The extra million would be found from a Jason garrison type Chiarelli desperation signing.

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
Like I said if they didn't have Lucic here 85%of Nylander cap space would go to him. The extra million would be found from a Jason garrison type Chiarelli desperation signing.
Is Nylander really worth 8M? He is not the guy I would want 10% of my cap to go towards.

Oilfan2

13.5%
Aug 12, 2005
Why can't Mantha stay, he's still and RFA at the end of his deal, and I think Daley has a bit more game left then you're suggesting.
Your suggestion that "maybe Mantha becomes Athansiou....And I don't mind Daley but I don't think he's worth what we'd be giving up...especially if Mantha isn't in the deal.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Your suggestion that "maybe Mantha becomes Athansiou....And I don't mind Daley but I don't think he's worth what we'd be giving up...especially if Mantha isn't in the deal.
My suggestion wasn't either.

It was trying to get Mantha, if they Wings are only willing to give up Athansiou, you make a smaller deal (remove Jones and the pick) because he's not as valuable.

My thought is getting a young NHL player to improve this roster going forward. I have concerns about Puljujarvi, so I see this as chance to improve with different players.

Reactions: 780il

Oilfan2

13.5%
Aug 12, 2005
My suggestion wasn't either.

It was trying to get Mantha, if they Wings are only willing to give up Athansiou, you make a smaller deal (remove Jones and the pick) because he's not as valuable.

My thought is getting a young NHL player to improve this roster going forward. I have concerns about Puljujarvi, so I see this as chance to improve with different players.
If it's Mantha, sure.

I'm not sold on Athansiou, for some reason, and would rather wait it out on JP.

I'd really prefer, if we're giving up JP, that we target a quality D..even if we add. Despite the current lack of production, I have trouble believing that the team up front, overall, is as bad offensively as it's been this 6 games.

Imo, we need that offensive D big time. (although EB looks like the real deal for the future).

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
If it's Mantha, sure.

I'm not sold on Athansiou, for some reason, and would rather wait it out on JP.

I'd really prefer, if we're giving up JP, that we target a quality D..even if we add. Despite the current lack of production, I have trouble believing that the team up front, overall, is as bad offensively as it's been this 6 games.

Imo, we need that offensive D big time. (although EB looks like the real deal for the future).
I don't disagree, but I'm looking at teams who are under performing to start this season, and I don't think Puljujarvi moves the needle for that kind of deal.

I think adding more effective depth and adding a (probably) quality veteran to help stabilize things, might do wonders for this year and they can continue to find improvements going forward.

Hemsky4pm2

Dec 2, 2017
Detroit and the Rangers are good targets for any team looking to acquire some rentals and guys with only one more year on their deals. Hayes or Zuccerello, Claesson, Ericsson, Athanasiou...

Too bad the Oilers' cap situation is so awful...

Paralyzer008

Jan 30, 2008
If the Oilers lose the next few, Peter Chiarelli is going to make a panic move to save his job.

I really wonder if Jesse Puljujarvi is on thin ice here.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Puljujarvi
Strome
Sekera

for

Galchenyuk
Demers

I dunno if they'd go for it. Demers is nothing great, but he'd give us at least a reasonable vet when/if Bouchard is sent down and can probably play this year, not sure if Sekera will.

Arizona gets more LTIR salary and Sekera's last two years are a bit reduced salary (4.5 per).

Puljujarvi + Strome fit into their younger rebuild, obviously Ryan is Dylan's older brother.

Galchenyuk has a heckuva shot release. Think he could do well with Leon.

RNH McDavid Rattie
Galy Draisaitl Reider
Lucic Khaira Yamamoto
Caggiula Brodziak Kassian
Chiasson

Klefbom Larsson
Nurse Demers
Russell Benning (please don't suck)
Gravel

Hemsky4pm2

Dec 2, 2017
JP to Carolina makes some sense.

Just haven't ever seen Chiarelli win a trade...

...ever.

It's clear that Bouchard is not NHL ready. Is Ethan Bear hurt?

Paralyzer

Hyman >>> Matthews
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North
JP to Carolina makes some sense.

Just haven't ever seen Chiarelli win a trade...

...ever.

It's clear that Bouchard is not NHL ready. Is Ethan Bear hurt?

Maroon for a 4th, Gernat? Kassian for Scrivens? Davidson for a 3rd? Talbot for a 2nd, 3rd and 7th? Yes they are small but they still won them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad