Proposal: Rumors and Proposals Thread: Painted Yourself into a Corner Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
so we add another dead weight at the expense of JP? It's hilarious how fast people go to the rumors thread to offer up JP because he what didn't do what any of other forwards didn't do last game? The guy was one of the reasons we came back in Winnipeg and looked great against Boston.

Sekera is dead weight too, I mean realistically who expects a decent NHL player worth that contract after the injuries he's suffered. If you shed him in a deal, I'd do it.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Sekera is dead weight too, I mean realistically who expects a decent NHL player worth that contract after the injuries he's suffered. If you shed him in a deal, I'd do it.
Sekera is LTIR right now. He's our cap flexibility. And the guy's not going to rush a comeback just to f*** with the Oilers' cap situation. When Sekera is a healthy player, he's a top four NHL defenseman.

Shathar

Jul 23, 2009
Moncton, New Brunswi
I think if we can forget about where Jesse was drafted, he will be fine. He has a huge frame. If he can learn to use it, he'll be an NHL'er for a long time. I'm not writing him off yet; he's still young. But it isn't like having a Yakupov around. Even without elite hockey sense, he should still be ok.

Reactions: MikeGrier99

redgrant

Nov 2, 2013
Literally the only team I could see making a trade with us right Now are la and Toronto. We need a dman badly ... Do we weaken our already thin d core by moving someone for Nylander?

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
Literally the only team I could see making a trade with us right Now are la and Toronto. We need a dman badly ... Do we weaken our already thin d core by moving someone for Nylander?
3 way trade:

Edmonton gives: Klef + Pulju + 2nd
Gets: Nylander + Murray

Toronto gives: Nylander + Brown + 3rd
Gets: Klef + Pulju + 2nd

Columbus gives: Murray
Gets: Brown + 3rd

We would need to find a way to somehow jettison Sekera's hit.

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
We can't afford William Nylander. He's asking for a ridiculous amount of money, which is why he's the only player who has yet to sign. We don't have the available cap to add another core piece. Even if we did, it wouldn't be advisable. The Oilers need to improve their depth throughout the roster and a lot of that will occur through internal development.

Established star players aren't on our list of likely targets.

Reactions: MikeGrier99

Skolman

Feb 16, 2018
Sekera is LTIR right now. He's our cap flexibility. And the guy's not going to rush a comeback just to **** with the Oilers' cap situation. When Sekera is a healthy player, he's a top four NHL defenseman.
I highly doubt Sekera is a solid top-4 D man once he returns

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
I highly doubt Sekera is a solid top-4 D man once he returns
If he isn't, it's probably because he's not a completely healthy player.

My point about him returning is that it's not likely to be a repeat of last season. Sekera was still injured and he played low impact minutes and looked terrible doing so. There's no reason for that to happen again, which is why it's unlikely it will. I'll be surprised to see him back in the lineup this season.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
If he isn't, it's probably because he's not a completely healthy player.

My point about him returning is that it's not likely to be a repeat of last season. Sekera was still injured and he played low impact minutes and looked terrible doing so. There's no reason for that to happen again, which is why it's unlikely it will. I'll be surprised to see him back in the lineup this season.
I think he’ll play some games in April honestly. It’s tough to shake the rust of not playing even in spite of the injury.

redgrant

Nov 2, 2013
We can't afford William Nylander. He's asking for a ridiculous amount of money, which is why he's the only player who has yet to sign. We don't have the available cap to add another core piece. Even if we did, it wouldn't be advisable. The Oilers need to improve their depth throughout the roster and a lot of that will occur through internal development.

Established star players aren't on our list of likely targets.

Actually they could afford Nylander. But again in this parallel world that means not giving hot garbage like Lucic 6m.

RegDunlop

Nov 5, 2016
Edmonton
Thanks again for the input on the LITR and cap relation.

But I'm sorry I can't figure out why you guys say we are over the cap daily by about $650K.
Is this an issue that can be penalized or is it that we are $650K over of the ~$5.5M that we are allowed to be over due to Sekeras injury?

Darkwinter

Apr 4, 2010
explain how we can afford Nylander at about 8 mill a year?
Awe come on Jump, your one of the better posters and you don't know the answer to that? Well you call up lowe and ac-t to make a video of how great Edmonton is and tell him to take a pay cut for around 4 million and BLAM Nylanders ours

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Sekera is LTIR right now. He's our cap flexibility. And the guy's not going to rush a comeback just to **** with the Oilers' cap situation. When Sekera is a healthy player, he's a top four NHL defenseman.

He'll never be that player again IMO. That injury is devastating and there's age to factor in too, he's lost basically 2 full seasons at this point.

Kobe Bryant is about as hard of a worker a you can get in an athlete and he was a shadow of himself after a full achilles tear. When you get it in your 30s, it's really bad.

It's a horrible injury to have in your 20s ... in your 30s .... it's a career killer.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Actually they could afford Nylander. But again in this parallel world that means not giving hot garbage like Lucic 6m.
Nylander would be another overpaid winger. A more skilled one but he’s holding out for Draisaitl money but isn’t as good. People are already all over Drai because if his deal I couldn’t imagine what this fan base would do to another soft Jordan Eberle type 60 point guy making over 8 mil.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Nylander would be another overpaid winger. A more skilled one but he’s holding out for Draisaitl money but isn’t as good. People are already all over Drai because if his deal I couldn’t imagine what this fan base would do to another soft Jordan Eberle type 60 point guy making over 8 mil.

I'd take the 60+ point guy over the 35 point guy we're paying 6 per. I think it's likely Nylander is more of a 70-80 point player too, he had 60+ in his first two seasons.

The problem is our course we can't move all the dead weight salary we've been anchored to.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Players don’t simply get better as they get older. If they did the Oilers would be cup contenders right now.

I understand his POV though, if the Leafs were putting a gun to my head and saying "sign away the next 6-7 prime years of your career at a $6.5 mill rate", I'd tell them to go f*** themselves too.

He'll look like a fool in 2-3 years when Matthews is getting $12 per, Marner north of $8 per and Nylander's scoring rises into the 70s.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
We CANNOT be trading D for forwards unless the D is on the farm or in the system or named Benning or Sekera.

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
He'll never be that player again IMO. That injury is devastating and there's age to factor in too, he's lost basically 2 full seasons at this point.

Kobe Bryant is about as hard of a worker a you can get in an athlete and he was a shadow of himself after a full achilles tear. When you get it in your 30s, it's really bad.

It's a horrible injury to have in your 20s ... in your 30s .... it's a career killer.
If that's the case, he'll live on LTIR.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Thanks again for the input on the LITR and cap relation.

But I'm sorry I can't figure out why you guys say we are over the cap daily by about $650K.
Is this an issue that can be penalized or is it that we are $650K over of the ~$5.5M that we are allowed to be over due to Sekeras injury?
The Oilers are over the yearly cap of $79.5M. But they can be because of Sekera on LTIR. The key here though is that they are not accumulating cap space to be used later for a player with a more significant cap hit.

Reactions: EagerPug

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
I keep looking at Detroit as a place to make a deal to improve this team, because that's a team in transition and you might be able to pry some pieces out of there.

To DET: Puljujarvi, Benning, Caggiula, Jones and 2nd

To EDM: Mantha and Daley

Maybe too big an ask, maybe Mantha becomes Athansiou with Jones coming out of deal, they just seem like the right target, imo.

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
I keep looking at Detroit as a place to make a deal to improve this team, because that's a team in transition and you might be able to pry some pieces out of there.

To DET: Puljujarvi, Benning, Caggiula, Jones and 2nd

To EDM: Mantha and Daley

Maybe too big an ask, maybe Mantha becomes Athansiou with Jones coming out of deal, they just seem like the right target, imo.
I'd do that trade quickly. Although, they'd ask for the 2nd to be changed to a 1st.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
I'd do that trade quickly. Although, they'd ask for the 2nd to be changed to a 1st.
If they did I think I would request Jones change to Samorukov for the balance.

I think, if they could convince Daley to come, he would be very nice veteran pick up.

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005

To be fair, basketball is a lot harder on your achilles than hockey. Just think about landing on the balls of your feet after a jump, what take the brunt of the force?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad