Proposal: Rumors and Proposals Thread: Painted Yourself into a Corner Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Barring a turn around by the team, another shoe needs to drop. Benning is clearly the weak link on the team on the back end and Bouchard should not be pushed into the deeper water of top 4 match-ups. If roster changes aren't coming then Todd needs to get the axe that should've been dropped on him this past summer. The 1st game of the season was a giant hippo turd sprayed into the punch bowl.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
BTW-Keep the Chia talk to a minimum FOR NOW. If things continue to go sideways that will be lifted. In the meantime the rules in this thread will mirror that of the last few rumors threads, we all know the Hall, Reinhart, etc. history. Chia has put a lot of faith in McLellan and Benning and both may be his undoing.

Fixed to Ruin

Come wit it now!
Feb 28, 2007
Grande Prairie, AB
Oilers management right now...

1031129.jpg

Lacaar

Jan 25, 2012
Edmonton
Edmonton is due for a desperate trade that we'll lose horribly in the long run.
We did it in the Mcdavid draft. we did it in the hall trade.
I'm guessing we pull of another depth destroying trade here soon.

we're due for some trade that only pays (if at all) for this year.

Fixed to Ruin

Come wit it now!
Feb 28, 2007
Grande Prairie, AB
Edmonton is due for a desperate trade that we'll lose horribly in the long run.
We did it in the Mcdavid draft. we did it in the hall trade.
I'm guessing we pull of another depth destroying trade here soon.

we're due for some trade that only pays (if at all) for this year.
Desperate managers always make these trades. Like George Mcfee trading Foresberg to NSH for Erat.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Depth destroying trade to fill which dire organizational need? The Oilers aren't a Stanley Cup contender--even with an added top four defenseman. There isn't any rush to pull the team into that position either.

Reactions: IAGTTAYM

Risingwind

Feb 26, 2015
Puljujärvi

For

Top4 D

Fits the mold. Chia probably has several trade scenarios like this explored.

ConnorMcNugesaitl

Sep 23, 2012
That D had better be a damn good one or I'd lose it, especially if Jesse gets traded before Todd gets fired.

Seems a bit unfair that you're asking people not to talk about Chia yet you're piling on Todd.

What exactly is he supposed to do here magically pull a legitimate top pairing or an additional 2 top 4 defensemen out of thin air?

Name Scotty Bowman the head coach and he's going to struggle to get much out of that group of defenders.

Reactions: harpoon and thadd

CanadianSuperPromise

Aug 21, 2012
I have a hard time seeing the Oilers doing anything drastic. They’ll probably stay course, maybe try to pull off a Maroon-style trade for a Dman and hope for the best.

And when I mean ‘hope for the best’, that means they’re hoping for all Dmen stay healthy, Talbot puts up a .925 over 70 games and McDavid scores over 120 points.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Seems a bit unfair that you're asking people not to talk about Chia yet you're piling on Todd.

What exactly is he supposed to do here magically pull a legitimate top pairing or an additional 2 top 4 defensemen out of thin air?

Name Scotty Bowman the head coach and he's going to struggle to get much out of that group of defenders.

The coach is the one that is in charge of systematic play, a blind man could see that we lack a 2nd pairing RD with Sekera out. However why is it that our team continues with the same PP set-up, 5LH players on one unit and 5RH players on another? Did Chia happen to mandate those units? I didn't realize that Vegas had no holes in their lineup when they went to the SCF's last season, no one in their right mind would've taken that roster over ours yet here we are wallowing in crap while they came up smelling like roses. Sorry but you coach what your manager gives you to their strengths. If Todd needs to have every single spot filled with quality players in a cap world to win then maybe just maybe he sucks at his job. Chia's time will come if this team keeps playing like this. When/if Todd gets canned Chia will be on the clock. In the meantime we'll see if Todd is worth a damn with how the team responds over the next 4-5 games and how our special teams look by the end of that time frame.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
The coach is the one that is in charge of systematic play, a blind man could see that we lack a 2nd pairing RD with Sekera out. However why is it that our team continues with the same PP set-up, 5LH players on one unit and 5RH players on another? Did Chia happen to mandate those units? I didn't realize that Vegas had no holes in their lineup when they went to the SCF's last season, no one in their right mind would've taken that roster over ours yet here we are wallowing in crap while they came up smelling like roses. Sorry but you coach what your manager gives you to their strengths. If Todd needs to have every single spot filled with quality players in a cap world to win then maybe just maybe he sucks at his job. Chia's time will come if this team keeps playing like this. When/if Todd gets canned Chia will be on the clock. In the meantime we'll see if Todd is worth a damn with how the team responds over the next 4-5 games and how our special teams look by the end of that time frame.
This is just it. I'd like to see how the team responds over the next eight games before we start making assumptions as to what is required in terms of player (or coach) movement. The way I see it is Evan Bouchard should absolutely not be in the NHL this season, so one way or another a move is likely merited at some point.

But this call to arms against the coach after one poor outing in the team's inaugural game of the season seems a tad excessive. I couldn't imagine how bad it'd be here if it was us who lost to the Senators in the opening weekend instead of the Leafs.

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
Benning is a weak link, but the composition on the defence is off. You can't succeed with one lone defenceman able to drive the play.

Klefbom, Nurse, and Larsson I trust to make clean passes out of the zone, but they don't/can't create scoring chances out of nothing.

You can't have Klefbom, Larsson, Nurse, Russell, and Benning (and Garrison) all playing, unless you have one guy that can eat up a lot of puck moving responsibilities (like a healthy Sekera...).

Now that doesn't mean they need to go big to solve this issue. Add in one decent top 4 offensive defenceman, keep Bear or Bouchard on the 3rd pair, and suddenly the defence looks a lot more balenced.

Klefbom-Larsson
Nurse-______
Russell-Bear/Bouchard

Long term that should be Bouchard, but at the moment, you just need a stop gap for a year or two. A Faulk, Myers, Petry, Spurgeon type.

Reactions: Mcnotloilersfan

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
Puljujärvi

For

Top4 D

We don't have the cap space next year for that kind of trade unless we let Talbot walk.
We need to pay someone off to take Russel or Sekera and give us a better d-man in return.
No, that doesn't sound realistic to me, either.

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
We don't have the cap space next year for that kind of trade unless we let Talbot walk.
We need to pay someone off to take Russel or Sekera and give us a better d-man in return.
No, that doesn't sound realistic to me, either.

If Talbot walks there's no way we should be gaining capspace. There's no goalie out there that is under 4 mil that gives us any chance at winning.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Puljujärvi

For

Top4 D

I wouldn't be totally opposed to a trade like that, as long as it is a legit top4 d who can move the puck. That is the Oilers biggest issue IMO. Pulju is still a big unknown. Could be fantastic, could be Yak 2.0. Really hard to tell at this point. I think he likely tops out as a solid 2nd liner, and a top4 d is worth way more than a 2nd line winger.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad