Proposal: Rumors and Proposals Thread: Painted Yourself into a Corner Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
Yeah but they didn’t have to trade him...
Marody wasn’t even part of that deal was he? We used the 3rd we got for maroon in the deal did we not? We could have used a different piece and picked up marody and had both.
that's not my point...the trade isolation is a good one

and yes, they traded a 3rd for Maroon...then used that 3rd to acquire Marody

KahunWOW

Apr 14, 2006
Germany
Drai showed some really good chemistry with Brooks Macek for Team Germany. Macek was signed this summer by Vegas, but plays for Chicago Wolves in the AHL and now has 8g 2a in his first 7 games.

I am not sure if he is good enough for a 2nd line role, but it could be worth a low risk high reward gamble. He definitely has one of the best shots (accuracy) I have seen.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Drai showed some really good chemistry with Brooks Macek for Team Germany. Macek was signed this summer by Vegas, but plays for Chicago Wolves in the AHL and now has 8g 2a in his first 7 games.

I am not sure if he is good enough for a 2nd line role, but it could be worth a low risk high reward gamble. He definitely has one of the best shots (accuracy) I have seen.
Might be worth a look, I wonder if the Knights would really part with him though for a price the Oilers want to pay.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009

A skilled center with great on-ice vision, Macek is a very good skater. He competes hard and is a terrific playmaker. Excels on the powerplay.

Interesting write up from elite prospects. Also born in WPG and played WHL. Tough to say if Vegas would trade him as obviously they liked him and now he's doing quite well

Paralyzer

Hyman >>> Matthews
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North
Could use Maroon as a 2ndLW for sure.

We need a 2LW and a 2RHD. Still waiting.

Yeah but have you seen the video of Maroon and his reason for going to St. Louis? He didn't get many offers and he wanted a long term deal. But he couldnt find it. So instead of taking a 1 year or 2 year deal outside of St. Louis, he decided to sign with them for cheap and be with his son because he values family over anything. There would be no way he'd sign for 1 year here.

A91

Oilers + Real Madrid
May 21, 2011
Edmonton

Were he and Kahun considered similar level players in the DEL last season? Played on the same team and had similar numbers, although 3 years older.
I'd throw a Patrick Russel + 7th/6th to Vegas for him

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
Sekera + Puljujarvi + 1st + 2020 2nd for an extended Stone

Dump Kassian + Benning to whoever needs extra depth (Buffalo/NYI etc)

Nuge - Mcdavid - Rattie
Rieder - Drai - Stone
Lucic - Strome - Yamo
Khaira - Brodziak - Caggiula

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Weird idea but I wonder if it's realistic.

:jets
RW Zack Kassian
RD Matt Benning

:edmonton
LD Dmitri Kulikov
LW Nic Petan

Cap out: 1.9+1.95=3.85
Cap in: 4.33+0.87=5.2

So we'd effectively be using about 650k of the LTIR savings if we sent down Gravel.

Kulikov's regularly injured, barely on Winnipeg's depth chart and signed at a $4.33m clip next season when their cap situation goes to shit. He's a significant upgrade on what we have on the bottom pair LD right now and more of a legitimate option. He's also a guy who can flip to the right side if need be, I'm pretty certain.

For Winnipeg, it essentially gives them the ability to split their cap commitment to this player and effectively double their potential cap savings should these players be sent to the AHL next season. Alternatively, both of these players could provide some depth when the Jets are forced to part with a few players this summer.

Does it make any sense?

KahunWOW

Apr 14, 2006
Germany
Were he and Kahun considered similar level players in the DEL last season? Played on the same team and had similar numbers, although 3 years older.
I'd throw a Patrick Russel + 7th/6th to Vegas for him
Admittedly I have only seen about 15 games of Kahun and Macek. Kahun is or will be better in my opinion (Kahun made the Blackhawks 1st line straight out of camp), but Macek is probably a better fit. His one-timer is excellent and Drai always found him even in very tight situations.

Reactions: A91

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Weird idea but I wonder if it's realistic.

:jets
RW Zack Kassian
RD Matt Benning

:edmonton
LD Dmitri Kulikov
LW Nic Petan

Cap out: 1.9+1.95=3.85
Cap in: 4.33+0.87=5.2

So we'd effectively be using about 650k of the LTIR savings if we sent down Gravel.

Kulikov's regularly injured, barely on Winnipeg's depth chart and signed at a $4.33m clip next season when their cap situation goes to ****. He's a significant upgrade on what we have on the bottom pair LD right now and more of a legitimate option. He's also a guy who can flip to the right side if need be, I'm pretty certain.

For Winnipeg, it essentially gives them the ability to split their cap commitment to this player and effectively double their potential cap savings should these players be sent to the AHL next season. Alternatively, both of these players could provide some depth when the Jets are forced to part with a few players this summer.

Does it make any sense?

So Benning (rhd) and Kass for two healthy scratches from the jets who cost more money? I know why Petan is not playing but he is not a regular nhl guy at this point in time and most have him as 3rd 4th liner guy as well and Kulikov is LHD with health issues--he has started to bounce around for a reason

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
So Benning (rhd) and Kass for two healthy scratches from the jets who cost more money? I know why Petan is not playing but he is not a regular nhl guy at this point in time and most have him as 3rd 4th liner guy as well and Kulikov is LHD with health issues--he has started to bounce around for a reason
Considering Kassian just lost his job to Alex Chiasson and Matt Benning has been an absolute trainwreck? Yes. Their healthy scratches would make our roster. And our roster guys would probably clear waivers.

RNH - McDavid - Rattie
Petan - Draisaitl - Puljujarvi
Lucic - Strome - Yamamoto
Caggiula - Brodziak - Chiasson
Khaira

Klefbom - Larsson
Nurse - Russell
Kulikov - Bear
Garrison

Find a low cost trade later to send Bear back down.

FYI, Petan has been a third or fourth line guy because he's been in the same predicament Ty Rattie dealt with in St Louis. He was buried in depth. Petan was a prolific scorer in junior--he needs a good long look in a scoring role before he gets written off. Kulikov is a guy who helps when he's healthy because he upgrades what we have on the bottom pair.

oil85

Mar 12, 2017

I'll play Dorion GM... Sekera is on 2 back to back seasons LTIR... We only make this deal with Klefbom... His contract fits our needs perfectly.

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
Considering Kassian just lost his job to Alex Chiasson and Matt Benning has been an absolute trainwreck? Yes. Their healthy scratches would make our roster. And our roster guys would probably clear waivers.

RNH - McDavid - Rattie
Petan - Draisaitl - Puljujarvi
Lucic - Strome - Yamamoto
Caggiula - Brodziak - Chiasson
Khaira

Klefbom - Larsson
Nurse - Russell
Kulikov - Bear
Garrison

Find a low cost trade later to send Bear back down.

FYI, Petan has been a third or fourth line guy because he's been in the same predicament Ty Rattie dealt with in St Louis. He was buried in depth. Petan was a prolific scorer in junior--he needs a good long look in a scoring role before he gets written off. Kulikov is a guy who helps when he's healthy because he upgrades what we have on the bottom pair.

But that puts this team back squarely in cap hell all for a guy that's worse than Russell.

The team can't afford to have Sekera, Klefbom, Kulikov, Russell, and Nurse all on the roster.

If you wanted to use Sekera's LTIR space, they you need to target someone like Bouwmeester or Myers, whose contract expires at the end of this season.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Yet another interesting contract by Mcphee. Guy will be 28 when the 6mil 6 year extension kicks in. Why not wait and see how he looks post drugs?

I think what's more entertaining to watch is how do they deal with Karlsson now? Handed out big money or long contracts to a lot of guys. Now it will be his time to get paid.

By my account as well they will be around 70mil in cap if Karlsson doesn't get a raise next year. Yes they have room to fill the few spots that they will have, but all of a sudden Vegas no longer has money to be taking on bad contracts and gain assets as they've done in the past.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Puljujarvi + Sekera + EDM 2nd for Mark Stone

Strome to Arizona for pick (in summer)

I think clears out enough salary to extend Stone.

RNH McDavid Rattie
Reider Draisaitl Stone
Lucic Khaira Yamamoto
Chiasson Brodziak Kassian
Marody

Not bad. Finally a shooter on the PP.

You honestly think that Melnyk wants to take on a 5.5M injury?

The Sens and Oilers are awful trade partners. The Oilers don't have the cap space to take on a big salary and the Sens are too cheap to take on the big salary that the Oilers would need to dump to bring in a big salary.

It's too bad because Stone would be a perfect fit here skillwise and I'd bet that he would love to come here being a local kid and all. The guy plays with a lot of passion too which is something lacking on this team, team is too robotic on the ice and personality.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
You honestly think that Melnyk wants to take on a 5.5M injury?

The Sens and Oilers are awful trade partners. The Oilers don't have the cap space to take on a big salary and the Sens are too cheap to take on the big salary that the Oilers would need to dump to bring in a big salary.

It's too bad because Stone would be a perfect fit here skillwise and I'd bet that he would love to come here being a local kid and all. The guy plays with a lot of passion too which is something lacking on this team, team is too robotic on the ice and personality.
If the contract is insured and they think he'll be on the LTIR for most of the remaining year, then yes I could see it.

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
But that puts this team back squarely in cap hell all for a guy that's worse than Russell.

The team can't afford to have Sekera, Klefbom, Kulikov, Russell, and Nurse all on the roster.

If you wanted to use Sekera's LTIR space, they you need to target someone like Bouwmeester or Myers, whose contract expires at the end of this season.
We'd be in the exact same cap situation. All players other than Petan are signed next season. If Petan turns into anything, the small increase in salary is worth it. Inevitably what this does for us is clears up a log jam in the bottom six and hopefully reduces our spending there next season, thus alleviating the 'cap hell'.

I think there's a bit more upside with Kulikov than there is with Benning as well, considering Kulikov is a veteran defenseman with a good set of tools to work with.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
If the contract is insured and they think he'll be on the LTIR for most of the remaining year, then yes I could see it.

What about the next 2 years? Can't see him wanting to pay $11M for a 30+ year old Dman coming off an injury.
Any Stone or Duchene trade will likely involve picks and cheap young players/prospects like the Karlsson trade which makes the Oilers a bad match.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
I don't think that's accurate about not 'banking the savings'. My understanding is with the Oilers at the cap limit at game number one, the Oilers allowed themselves to have the full $5.5m cap benefit for the year unless Andrej Sekera returns at some point.

My point about salaries being pro-rated is that a $7m AAV being added at the halfway point of the season is technically only $3.5m in salary being committed to the player. If Andrej Sekera returned at the halway point, we're only on the hook for $2.75m.

If we were looking at straight up cap space, a team with $5.5m at game number one has a significant amount of cap space at the trade deadline, because the unused cap doesn't just evaporate. I don't see the point of the LTIR benefit if it doesn't act as a straight up cap benefit.

Does not matter LTIR can not be banked . You can use it on a per game bases . Cap space is different then LTIR

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010

Dump Kassian + Benning to whoever needs extra depth (Buffalo/NYI etc)

Nuge - Mcdavid - Rattie
Rieder - Drai - Stone
Lucic - Strome - Yamo
Khaira - Brodziak - Caggiula

It'll likely cost us Pulju+1st for Stone and a 2nd for Ottawa to take Sekera off our hands. I'd do this trade simply because I see us losing Pulju to the expansion draft anyway. Might as well get a star player to play with Drai and ice two scoring lines.

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Yet another interesting contract by Mcphee. Guy will be 28 when the 6mil 6 year extension kicks in. Why not wait and see how he looks post drugs?

I think what's more entertaining to watch is how do they deal with Karlsson now? Handed out big money or long contracts to a lot of guys. Now it will be his time to get paid.

By my account as well they will be around 70mil in cap if Karlsson doesn't get a raise next year. Yes they have room to fill the few spots that they will have, but all of a sudden Vegas no longer has money to be taking on bad contracts and gain assets as they've done in the past.
And they still lack quality NHL depth up the middle. That team is going to have to perform beyond expectations for quite sometime to remain competitive in this division because that is a roster built to barely slip into the playoffs.

Last edited:

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
And they still lack quality NHL depth up the middle. That team is going to have to perform beyond expectations for quite sometime to remain competitive in this division because that is a roster built to barely slip into the playoffs.
I don't want to say they are handcuffing themselves, but they sure found a way to get rid of their flexibility quite quickly.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
What about the next 2 years? Can't see him wanting to pay $11M for a 30+ year old Dman coming off an injury.
Any Stone or Duchene trade will likely involve picks and cheap young players/prospects like the Karlsson trade which makes the Oilers a bad match.

It's actually 9 mill left on the deal after this season, his actual salary reduces after this season to 4.5 per.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
Does Benning+Kassian+Puljujarvi+1st for Nylander+Dermott make sense? Sign Nylander to 6M x 5 year deal to play with Draisaitl.

RNH-Mcdavid-Rattie
Rieder-Draisaitl-Nylander
Lucic-Strome-Yamamoto
Cagguila-Khaira-Chiasson

Klefbom-Larsson
Nurse-Russell
Sekera/Gravel/Garrsion-Bouchard

Most likely looking to move Sekera around the trade deadline or next summer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad