Proposal: Rumors and Proposals Thread: Painted Yourself into a Corner Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
0 points in his first six in year number three in the pros. I would be asking about Pavel Zacha this season. He's a guy who could be a nice cheap depth forward over the next few seasons who could fill in as a complimentary scoring winger or even as our 3C to move Strome into that 2RW slot, where he saw some success last year.
Zacha for Pulju?

Do it up.

McJC

May 2, 2010
Edmonton
I could see Carolina having huge interest in Pulju. They have Aho who Puljujarvi is familiar with and have a ton of defensemen. I could see a deal around Faulk and Pulju tbh

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Zacha for Pulju?

Do it up.
I'd expect more than Zacha for JP. Zacha is another year deep into that 'bust' conservation.

Both of these guys are still NHL forwards. But I think Zacha's leaning a little more towards bottom six option at this point.

The Devils do have a lot of forwards in their system though, so maybe it's a deal you could iron out.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
I could see Carolina having huge interest in Pulju. They have Aho who Puljujarvi is familiar with and have a ton of defensemen. I could see a deal around Faulk and Pulju tbh

I can't see it.

You'd likely have to wait until the offseason due to salary and then Faulk only has one year on his deal.

ConnorMcNugesaitl

Sep 23, 2012
I can't see it.

You'd likely have to wait until the offseason due to salary and then Faulk only has one year on his deal.

They're overloaded with rightist and have Fleury stuck in the minors because no lineup spot.

I guess you could just target Fleury/Bean as it makes more sense cap wise.

Fleury is a solid NHL player right now, haven't followed Bean enough to say how he's looking. The downside is they're both lefties.

They might also prefer to wait and see what happens with Nylander.

RegDunlop

Nov 5, 2016
Edmonton
The closer to the cap ceiling you are before placing Sekera on LTIR gives you more flexibility since you'll gain more LTIR space.

And technically they are using the LTIR space right now as they're spending about $650k over the cap. The problem with adding significantly more than that is you'll then have to subtract it when Sekera returns.

Very well. Thank you!
I had no idea we were over, even by $1!

But again - I have to question the strategy. I understand getting as close as possible to the cap to maximize the benefit. But if you then do nothing and don't exercise it, what's the use?

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Very well. Thank you!

But again - I have to question the strategy. I understand getting as close as possible to the cap to maximize the benefit. But if you then do nothing and don't exercise it, what's the use?

I think it's just a better to be safe than sorry scenario since there's no downside to doing it.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Very well. Thank you!

It is possible that they could use it later on in the year. If it looks like Sekera is done for the year they could make a move at the deadline or possibly earlier.

Trades of consequence at this time of the year are rare.

Reactions: belair

RegDunlop

Nov 5, 2016
Edmonton
I think it's just a better to be safe than sorry scenario since there's no downside to doing it.

Hmmm
I just finished watching my PVRd game. The first time I saw Chaisson. He was ok. But do we sign Gravel, Garrison, and him after their PTOs if we aren't angling toward getting to the cap?

I just don't understand why you do what they've done without using the benefit they created. Yes I agree that they can't get carried away as they'll have to eventually balance if they add someone, but they have to have had something in mind when they planned it no?

And we need help now. Add and improve then take care of it when you have to. Letting the benefit and perhaps any points lost now is stupid IMO.

RegDunlop

Nov 5, 2016
Edmonton
It is possible that they could use it later on in the year. If it looks like Sekera is done for the year they could make a move at the deadline or possibly earlier.

I agree.
I just responded to another poster about why they don't do something. But if they are waiting for things to unfold better then that is wise as well.

As long as they do. To me it would be the same stupid decision to do nothing with the cap room from Ebs trade.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004

This is a good point. The risk of course is that the team falls too far out of contention by the time Feb/March rolls around.
The ways things stand right now they certainly do not have the depth to shoulder an injury to any of their top 4 dmen.

Reactions: RegDunlop

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Jesse Puljujarvi
Andrej Sekera @750k retained

for

Brandon Saad

Sekera only has two years left past this one. Maybe Saad can click with McDavid or Draisaitl, he's still only 25.

RNH McDavid Who Cares
Saad Draisaitl Yamamoto
Lucic Strome Caggiula

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
What's with people and their interest in Brandon Saad? His production is a mirror image of Milan Lucic's and he makes the same amount of money.

Reactions: Canada Drai

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
As far as JP goes, I would like to see him with a different coach before we trade him. Although it might be in JP's best interest at this point, to move to a different team. While I think some of the onus is on him, I am not sure we have put him in a good situation to succeed.

Reactions: North

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
What's with people and their interest in Brandon Saad? His production is a mirror image of Milan Lucic's and he makes the same amount of money.

He's much more a skilled forward than Lucic, much higher end shot release and he's only 25 rather than 30 and on the decline.

It's a risk sure, but if you can get them to take Sekera's contract, I'd have to think about it. He's not that far removed from a 30+ goal season.

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
He's much more a skilled forward than Lucic, much higher end shot release and he's only 25 rather than 30 and on the decline.

It's a risk sure, but if you can get them to take Sekera's contract, I'd have to think about it. He's not that far removed from a 30+ goal season.
I've never really viewed anything of Saad's game as being overly impressive. Quiet, two-way winger. Zero physical game. He's certainly not a guy I'd want plugged into that top six for the next three years at his salary--even if Sekera's deal went the other way.

It's kind of funny looking at that CBJ roster that year. That was Jenner's 30 goal campaign as well. I don't see either of those guys getting back there in all honesty.

oil85

Mar 12, 2017

What if Saad doesn't live up to his 6m multi year contract? Chiarelli can't make this trade without moving on from Lucic. Team can't afford 2 wing anchors - downside is too huge.

t0nedeff

Jun 29, 2010
Jesse Puljujarvi
Andrej Sekera @750k retained

for

Brandon Saad

Sekera only has two years left past this one. Maybe Saad can click with McDavid or Draisaitl, he's still only 25.

RNH McDavid Who Cares
Saad Draisaitl Yamamoto
Lucic Strome Caggiula
so we add another dead weight at the expense of JP? It's hilarious how fast people go to the rumors thread to offer up JP because he what didn't do what any of other forwards didn't do last game? The guy was one of the reasons we came back in Winnipeg and looked great against Boston.

Reactions: Jamin

North

Jun 25, 2009
so we add another dead weight at the expense of JP? It's hilarious how fast people go to the rumors thread to offer up JP because he what didn't do what any of other forwards didn't do last game? The guy was one of the reasons we came back in Winnipeg and looked great against Boston.

Yeah, I don't get it.

He's got a lot to learn no doubt about it, but I do think he is still a little gunshy because he's not sure if one mistake will lead him back to the bottom six.

People want him to be a finished product right now and that's just not realistic especially with how he's been handled.

Sometimes with young players we need to exercise a little patience. Trading him now and watching him thrive on another team would be a bitter pill to swallow.

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Yeah, I don't get it.

He's got a lot to learn no doubt about it, but I do think he is still a little gunshy because he's not sure if one mistake will lead him back to the bottom six.

People want him to be a finished product right now and that's just not realistic especially with how he's been handled.

Sometimes with young players we need to exercise a little patience. Trading him now and watching him thrive on another team would be a bitter pill to swallow.
Agreed. The only way I'm moving him is if we're getting similarly valued young players in return. Puljujarvi is an important part of the future forward group of this hockey team. The depth scoring he'll be expected to provide is very important to our success. We need plenty of that depth.

As mentioned earlier in the page, I'd probably move him in a deal if we could scoop up Zacha and McLeod. I'd even add a bit more from our side to balance the value, but this is the kind of return I'd expect for JP. He's still a valuable young forward with a ton of upside. It's just unfortunate our team requires some of that production today.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad