Proposal: Rumors and Proposals Thread: Painted Yourself into a Corner Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

McDaddy

ruh roh
Jan 22, 2017
Edmonton
We also have five LHD NHL defensemen currently on the roster--four of them signed beyond next year. The Oilers don't have the cap space to be wasting on players who don't fit any organizational needs.

I know it's boring but the Oilers are better suited looking for someone to fill that bottom pair slot for the rest of the season. Possibly in a deal moving Kassian's salary the other way. Anything else just isn't affordable.

The only other thing that Chiarelli should be mindful of are decent quality prospects who are falling out of favor in other organizations. We can never have too much of that kind of depth. I was saying we should've asked on Dal Colle this summer and now he's off to a bit of a torrid start.

I was kind of hinting at hoping Sekera can be moved elsewhere, a defense of:

Klef-Larsson
Leddy-Nurse
Russell-Bouchard

Doesn't look all that bad imo, I get what you're saying about an organizational need, but I wouldn't hesitate replacing Sekera with him. I also think we made the right choice not taking a flyer on MDC.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007

Klef-Larsson
Leddy-Nurse
Russell-Bouchard

Doesn't look all that bad imo, I get what you're saying about an organizational need, but I wouldn't hesitate replacing Sekera with him. I also think we made the right choice not taking a flyer on MDC.

The other problem with this is you're probably giving one of those top 4 D away to Seattle in two years.

Reactions: McDaddy

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
The other problem with this is you're probably giving one of those top 4 D away to Seattle in two years.
That and you've got Darnell Nurse on his off hand, which just wouldn't happen. Which means he or Leddy is on your bottom pairing. This is why I fail to see a strong market for him. NYI would be smart to keep him.

oil85

Mar 12, 2017

Klef-Larsson
Leddy-Nurse
Russell-Bouchard

Moving Nurse to his off side doesn't work...

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
The lottery draft kinda hems us in for D.

Klefbom-Larsson-Nurse is pretty much our 3 protected D, and then hopefully Bouchard is on his ELC when Seattle picks so that would leave him off. Russell they probably ask him to waive his NMC or buy him out, his choice. If he wants his full salary, he'll agree to waive.

You can't really add another d-man unless you are willing to likely give away one of them to Seattle in 2-3 years time. Or you protect 4D + 4 Forwards, but that possibly means Yamamoto is unprotected and they'd take him for sure because he played in nearby Spokane and would help bring in fans.

We need more help at forward anyway. As nice as it is to get scoring help from Chiasson, lets be real, that's probably not going to last forever (but feel free to score 50 bud).

McDaddy

ruh roh
Jan 22, 2017
Edmonton

That and you've got Darnell Nurse on his off hand, which just wouldn't happen. Which means he or Leddy is on your bottom pairing. This is why I fail to see a strong market for him. NYI would be smart to keep him.

Moving Nurse to his off side doesn't work...

You guys are all right. :ha:

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Unless like Erik Karlsson comes knocking and says he hates San Jose and wants to play with McDavid or something, I think more or less the "never ending story" of the "Oilers need to trade for a D" is pretty much on pause for a while.

Like I mentioned the expansion draft with Seattle pretty much handcuffs you from having 4 good D unless you are willing to give one away, and the right shot offensive D we've been looking, we suffered miserably last year to get that Bouchard pick. Think we're just gonna have to develop him.

The forward group is easier to change because you can protect up to 7 forwards in the expansion rules and if Puljujarvi is not going to be a fit here, we must find a star winger to bring in to this core for Leon to play with at some point.

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
Unless like Erik Karlsson comes knocking and says he hates San Jose and wants to play with McDavid or something, I think more or less the "never ending story" of the "Oilers need to trade for a D" is pretty much on pause for a while.

Like I mentioned the expansion draft with Seattle pretty much handcuffs you from having 4 good D unless you are willing to give one away, and the right shot offensive D we've been looking, we suffered miserably last year to get that Bouchard pick. Think we're just gonna have to develop him.

The forward group is easier to change because you can protect up to 7 forwards in the expansion rules and if Puljujarvi is not going to be a fit here, we must find a star winger to bring in to this core for Leon to play with at some point.

The only situation where I can see us acquiring thatb top-pairing defenceman that's we've been coveting since Pronger would be by including Klefbom or Nurse in the return, which I'd be prepared to do for a clear upgrade.

Last edited:

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
I don't see why you guys are worried about an expansion. Several GMs have already said they didn't care about the Las Vegas expansion. If we lose a good player in 2-3 years so be it. No one will care if we win a cup. And honestly I don't have more then 4 forwards Id protect at this point. RNH, Mcdavid, Draisaitl, and maybe Yamamoto but still not sure on him. So 4 forwards and 4 dmen. You can buy out Lucic in 2 years for next to nothing if you need to and Sekera/Russell are both off the payroll.

Reactions: Mcnotloilersfan

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
I don't think Chia would want Eberle but even though he's struggled I'd definitely kick tires on Leddy.

Lets assume you can move Kassian and Koskinen somewhere without taking cap back. I know that might not be easy but let's pretend they can.

Would that be enough room to fit Leddy with Sekera on LTIR and afford a new backup?

Why are we moving Kosikinen before he's even played a game for us?

Reactions: Former Referee 68

Raab

Oct 6, 2007

Klef-Larsson
Leddy-Nurse
Russell-Bouchard

We need a playmaking winger and a PMD if we really want to considered a legit SC threat. If the teams still in it come Christmas I start looking at these deals:

To Detroit: Puljujarvi
To Edm: Nyquist

To NYI: Lucic+Benning+1st
To Edm: Leddy+Nelson

Roll with

RNH-Mcdavid-Rattie/Chiasson
Nelson-Draisiatl-Nyquist
Rieder-Strome-Marody
Cagguila-Khaira-Yamamoto
Chiasson/Rattie, Brodziak

Klefbom-Larsson
Leddy-Russell
Nurse-Bouchard

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I think Bobrovsky will probably sign with the Islanders or something to be in the New York market. He seems like a playoff choker to me though to be honest.
The guy is hit and miss as is. Is now 30 I believe with an injury history. Whoever signs him better make sure the dollars are low

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I don't see why you guys are worried about an expansion. Several GMs have already said they didn't care about the Las Vegas expansion. If we lose a good player in 2-3 years so be it. No one will care if we win a cup. And honestly I don't have more then 4 forwards Id protect at this point. RNH, Mcdavid, Draisaitl, and maybe Yamamoto but still not sure on him. So 4 forwards and 4 dmen. You can buy out Lucic in 2 years for next to nothing if you need to and Sekera/Russell are both off the payroll.
This. You can't be worried about what might happen. By then who the heck knows what this team looks like.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
My hope is if Benning is still an Oiler and looks like an Oilers-era Schultz clone when the expansion draft rolls around, you throw Seattle a pick to take him.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
Exactly. Red Wings would be idiots to make that trade. Mantha >>> Pulj.

I think the VP of the Wings just said they have no superstars. Way to tell your players how you view them haha
It wouldn't surprise me if they attempt a Dorian style move to inject life into the team. "star" for mishmash of parts

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Here is the other reason why its pointless to worry about expansion....its not clear which year its going to happen.
Its a waste of time to factor in a scenario which might or might not happen in 2019-2020.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Here is the other reason why its pointless to worry about expansion....its not clear which year its going to happen.
Its a waste of time to factor in a scenario which might or might not happen in 2019-2020.
When we have Lucic and Sekera, it's a good reason to plan ahead. If Bouchard, Yam and Pulju somehow all break out, we could possibly be losing one of them. That would suck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad