Proposal: Rumors and Proposals Thread: Painted Yourself into a Corner Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
I know I'm in the minority on this one, but I don't think there is much risk of a work stoppage this time. The first time we had a work stoppage, it was to introduce the cap, which was a massive blow to the NHLPA. The second time, it was not a whole lost season, and that one involved getting the players getting a far smaller percentage of earnings than before.

The league's basically won and won completely already. The league has already given offers to the NHLPA to extend the existing deal (if I recall, it was to allow players to go to the olympics). Perhaps the NHLPA has some gripes this time, but I genuinely believe that the league is far more willing to have a work stoppage than the players are. The players might demand some re-jiggering of the esgrow system but that problem is not so dramatic that it would nix a season.

But hey, that's not a guarantee. But, I wouldn't be surprised if the CBA would be renegotiated as part of Seattle expansion deal. The NHLPA enjoys having more teams in the league so it's a compelling strategy.

Guaranteed contracts?

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
I’d rather have Looch than any of those guys because whether people like it or not he is a feared presence. Guys on this team barely even get looked at the wrong way, especially 97 and 93. Eriksson literally does nothing, no value just a pathetic excuse for an athlete.
I can tell you the Caps did not fear him in the slightest.

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
About 30 points. 6mil. This contract is right there next to Eriksson, Ladd, Backes, etc

I'm honestly more surprised by Eriksson and Ladd dropping off so hard. I thought both had to enough skill and IQ to have a slower decline. Lucic and Backes were always the likely candidates to fall off a cliff to me due to their physical focus.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Guaranteed contracts?
I was referring to the pay cut that the players took, but I omitted it because I can't recall if they took a pay cut on the 2nd CBA or not. We had the expansion buyouts the 2nd time to make up for the smaller cap instead I think. Guaranteed contracts is something that the NHL has compared to other leagues where sometimes teams can just cancel a contract instead of honouring it. That can happen in the NFL I think, but I'm not sure exactly what leagues can do this, but I know that the NHL stands out in that teams must honour contracts and buy them out if they don't want to. With one of the CBAs the players took a pay cut, which was compromising the guaranteed contracts

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Wonder if Chia could pry Pietrangelo out of STL without giving up a core player. He has had good relationship with STL management. STL is going nowhere this year and AP probably wants to win.
STL needs speed and AP currently has 0G 1A and -9

Puljujarvi/Yamamoto + Bear/Benning + Caggiula + pick/prospect may give STL enough to retool.

McOvechking

Apr 28, 2009
Edmonton, Alberta
Wonder if Chia could pry Pietrangelo out of STL without giving up a core player. He has had good relationship with STL management. STL is going nowhere this year and AP probably wants to win.

Puljujarvi/Yamamoto + Bear/Benning + Caggiula + pick/prospect may give STL enough to retool.
I can't see St. Louis giving up Pietrangelo without getting Bouchard in return.
Don't see any reason why Columbus would even entertain that.
Savard is a bottom pairing defenseman there, and that team needs a gritty winger who can skate. Plus a 3rd rounder should hold enough value to pry Savard loose. It's not like he's got a ton of value. Or maybe I'm underestimating his importance to them.

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
Kassian and a pick to Columbus for Savard, to send Bouchard back to junior.

Klef - Larsson
Nurse - Savard
Russell - Benning/Bear

That's a repugnant deal for Columbus, especially at this early juncture of the season. Why would they trade away one of their top 4 dmen for a 4th liner with motivational issues and a pick?

McOvechking

Apr 28, 2009
Edmonton, Alberta
That's a repugnant deal for Columbus, especially at this early juncture of the season. Why would they trade away one of their top 4 dmen for a 4th liner with motivational issues and a pick?
As I said above, from what I've seen Savard is on their bottom pairing.

What do you think it would take to pry him out of Columbus? Caggiula +?

Reactions: Section337

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
As I said above, from what I've seen Savard is on their bottom pairing.

What do you think it would take to pry him out of Columbus? Caggiula +?

He may be listed on their bottom pairing in recent game day lineups, but he's been playing nearly 23 minutes a night (admittedly the injury to Jones probably had a hand in those increased minutes). He's a valuable guy for them to have around for them. He's also their top penalty killer, both last year and so far this year.

Right now, nearly every team is in the mindset of trying to win games...and Savard helps Columbus achieve that a lot more than anything Kassian brings to the table, and that's only when he feels like it apparently.

The time to make a run at Savard was during the summer, not now.

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013
Savard would cost a lot more than Kassian or Caggiula. I know Piljijarvi has his backers, but something around Benning and Puljujarvi for Savard and Anderson would make us much better today. Maybe throw in Kassian to balance the cap?

Fixed to Ruin

Come wit it now!
Feb 28, 2007
Grande Prairie, AB
Savard would cost a lot more than Kassian or Caggiula. I know Piljijarvi has his backers, but something around Benning and Puljujarvi for Savard and Anderson would make us much better today. Maybe throw in Kassian to balance the cap?
If the columbus GM who is from Finland passed on puljujarvi at the draft. Why would he trade two good players for him now?

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
you talked to them?
Of course not. I watched Lucic closely in the game and he had one good chance and several botched pass attempts as well as being completely ineffective on the PP (something Chiasson has already surpassed him in).

He was also in No Man's Land on the Caps only goal.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Of course not. I watched Lucic closely in the game and he had one good chance and several botched pass attempts as well as being completely ineffective on the PP (something Chiasson has already surpassed him in).

He was also in No Man's Land on the Caps only goal.
My confusion with lucic on the powerplay is he never really screens, he moves to the side for a slap pass tip when he would be much better just screening the goalie.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Bouchard's goal doesn't happen without Chiasson's screen, so why can't Lucic do the same thing?
And with how Connor sneaks into the middle for shots, having the goalie look around lucic could make the difference between a goal or save.

I just don’t know if it’s coaching or lucic

ConnorMcNugesaitl

Sep 23, 2012

You're asking if Chia of all people can pull AP for a package of secondary pieces?

Smart money is on them not moving him and LOL no Chia can't.

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010

I'm not sure this is necessarily implying trade, could just mean Gravel back-up after Bouchard is sent back to junior or Garrison could alternatively get sent to the AHL next time instead of Gravel, but a part of me is thinking Benning might get traded.

McOvechking

Apr 28, 2009
Edmonton, Alberta
He may be listed on their bottom pairing in recent game day lineups, but he's been playing nearly 23 minutes a night (admittedly the injury to Jones probably had a hand in those increased minutes). He's a valuable guy for them to have around for them. He's also their top penalty killer, both last year and so far this year.

Right now, nearly every team is in the mindset of trying to win games...and Savard helps Columbus achieve that a lot more than anything Kassian brings to the table, and that's only when he feels like it apparently.

The time to make a run at Savard was during the summer, not now.
Gotcha. Did not realize Savard was that good and crunching so many minutes for CBJ. My bad on the proposal, guys.

smokersarejokers

Jul 7, 2005

I'm not sure this is necessarily implying trade, could just mean Gravel back-up after Bouchard is sent back to junior or Garrison could alternatively get sent to the AHL next time instead of Gravel, but a part of me is thinking Benning might get traded.

Yeah, I think he's implying that Bouchard will likely go to junior.

I also hope for a Benning trade. I'd rather see Gravel, Bear or Bouchard playing his minutes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->