Proposal: Rumors and Proposals Thread: Painted Yourself into a Corner Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
When we have Lucic and Sekera, it's a good reason to plan ahead. If Bouchard, Yam and Pulju somehow all break out, we could possibly be losing one of them. That would suck

The thing is you cant plan for something when you have no idea which year its going to happen.

The NHL has to make a decision on exactly when Seattle is going to play. They cant just keep the balls in the air until Seattle figures it out and expect teams to sort out their rosters.
Thats not professional at all.

Just make a definitive decision (that Seattle can meet) so teams can plan.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Bouchard will go back to London next week.
McKenzie said this morning on 1260 that he doesn't think the Oilers or teams in general care about the 9 game anymore. It's the 40 days on the roster he thinks matters now. Especially with Bouchard filling a void

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
I will be very surprised if this happens. Bouchard is a more effective dman than Benning right now.
Prepare to be surprised. It makes very little sense to burn an ELC year to moderately improve your bottom pairing defenseman.

If Benning's game doesn't get back to some semblance of NHL quality, I'd expect a Bear call up or a minor trade.

Reactions: dustrock

BarDownBobo

Oct 19, 2012
City of Champions
The thing is you cant plan for something when you have no idea which year its going to happen.

The NHL has to make a decision on exactly when Seattle is going to play. They cant just keep the balls in the air until Seattle figures it out and expect teams to sort out their rosters.
Thats not professional at all.

Just make a definitive decision (that Seattle can meet) so teams can plan.
I'm sure the managers have a better idea of when they're coming in behind closed doors. I imagine a lot more will be made public after the BOG meetings in December.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Prepare to be surprised. It makes very little sense to burn an ELC year to moderately improve your bottom pairing defenseman.

If Benning's game doesn't get back to some semblance of NHL quality, I'd expect a Bear call up or a minor trade.

Its not that big of an issue actually. The 40 game mark matters a lot more.
Bob McKenzie reported that very thing this morning.

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
McKenzie said this morning on 1260 that he doesn't think the Oilers or teams in general care about the 9 game anymore. It's the 40 days on the roster he thinks matters now. Especially with Bouchard filling a void
I missed that interview but in Bouchard's case, I disagree.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004

Exactly.

MinimaMoralia

May 1, 2015
Sprong continues to go nowhere with the Pens. Could be a good buy low candidate. And possibly a chance to save a sliver of salary if they can move Kassian for him.

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Its not that big of an issue actually. The 40 game mark matters a lot more.
It's a pretty significant issue if you expect Bouchard to be playing an important role in this roster in short order. His second contract beginning in his 23 year old season instead of his 22nd would be a decent chunk of change being saved that year. And considering the Oilers cap situation, it's pretty important.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I just have a bad feeling Seattle will f*** us with their expansion draft and choose to wait a year. Just how things seem to go for us.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
It's a pretty significant issue if you expect Bouchard to be playing an important role in this roster in short order. His second contract beginning in his 23 year old season instead of his 22nd would be a decent chunk of change being saved that year. And considering the Oilers cap situation, it's pretty important.

I think the early free agency matters a lot more.

Even before Bob M talked about it this morning I was posting that it wasnt a big deal if Bouchard played more than 10 games this season as long as he is holding his own and evolving.
I think he is doing just that.

Bouchard is an elite passer and his vision is close to elite. His presence on the PP is already at an NHL level.
I also think that he is growing the defensive part of his game. By game 40 he will be a better dman if he stays here in a protected role.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I just have a bad feeling Seattle will **** us with their expansion draft and choose to wait a year. Just how things seem to go for us.
So if you are worried about losing a player does that mean you think we have a stacked roster?

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I think the early free agency matters a lot more.

Even before Bob M talked about it this morning I was posting that it wasnt a big deal if Bouchard played more than 10 games this season as long as he is holding his own and evolving.
I think he is doing just that.
We are at 7 games already and then he has a PP goal. I could see them keeping him even if it's not 40. Maybe try bigger roles and let him go at 20-25 even

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
So for the potential expansion draft eligibility is the cutoff 9 game or 40 game?

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
We are at 7 games already and then he has a PP goal. I could see them keeping him even if it's not 40. Maybe try bigger roles and let him go at 20-25 even

I think if 40 games is the cutoff then you keep for as long as possible. It provides more opportunity for him to get NHL experience.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
So if you are worried about losing a player does that mean you think we have a stacked roster?

If we have to protect 4 F + 4 D, it basically boxes us in forward wise, I would like to be able to upgrade the forward group at some point in the next two years and not get punished for it by having them take Yamamoto or something (which they would totally do because he played junior near the Seattle area).

redgrant

Nov 2, 2013

Do you think Chiarelli cares about 3 years down the road when if he doesn't ice the best team available he will be done as a gm in 6 months?

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
9 games but that only matters if it happens in 2021.

If the draft is 2020 like everyone expects, Bouch is exempt even if we keep him up this year.

Yes. But it would be so Oilers for the NHL/Seattle to say "oppsie! We're delaying a year!". There are already reports that the NHL would prefer Seattle to delay a year. And if they did that, it could really f*** us forward wise.

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
9 games but that only matters if it happens in 2021.

If the draft is 2020 like everyone expects, Bouch is exempt even if we keep him up this year.
If the draft is in 2021 then Sekera and Russell will be off the books. we could just go 4-4 exposing one of Yama, Lucic or Pulju

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
If the draft is in 2021 then Sekera and Russell will be off the books. we could just go 4-4 exposing one of Yama, Lucic or Pulju

You don't want to go 4-4 ... that would be a disaster.

We need to add a good forward in the next two years regardless *on top* of what we have unless the game plan is seriously to waste two more years of McDavid's prime.

We have to be looking at adding a Mark Stone or Matt Duchene or someone if Puljujarvi is not panning out and that player would have to be protected too.

AvOiL

5-14-6-1
Sep 21, 2008
Calgary, AB

I believe that we will have to protect Lucic as a result of his NTC (which will be Limited NTC starting that season). So we would be forced to keep Lucic, McDavid, Draisaitl, Nuge, Nurse, Klefbom, Larsson, and Bouchard. That would leave Yamamoto and Puljujarvi unprotected.

Reactions: Mcnotloilersfan

ConnorMcNugesaitl

Sep 23, 2012
I was kind of hinting at hoping Sekera can be moved elsewhere, a defense of:

Klef-Larsson
Leddy-Nurse
Russell-Bouchard

Doesn't look all that bad imo, I get what you're saying about an organizational need, but I wouldn't hesitate replacing Sekera with him. I also think we made the right choice not taking a flyer on MDC.

I think it'd be

Leddy-Russell

Nurse-Benning/Bear/Petrovic type player

which to me is a huge upgrade

next Year:

Klefbom-Larsson

Leddy-Sekera

Nurse-Bouchard

You trade Russell because of expansion concerns and Sekera has no value until he can stay healthy for a decent stretch. It's a pretty solid upgrade for now and the future and Leddy is the type of offensive d the Oilers badly need.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad