Rumor: Rumors and Proposals Thread | Oilers Have Kicked Tires on Some Veteran UFA Defencemen

Status
Not open for further replies.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Not necessarily. With the Taxi squad scenario they can carry 3 goalies on the active roster, 13 forwards and 7 defense. If they need to add a defenseman or forward on a game day, they can activate and dress them on pretty short notice.

That said, I'm not overly interested in Anderson.

I think they'll be stuck running at least 8D(they have 9 right now) since it doesn't look like Holland wants to risk waiving Koekkoek or Lagesson.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC

And it's not a good comparable, actually it's a completely different situation.

RFA vs. UFA, shorter term vs. long term, franchise center line driver vs. complimentary 1st line winger/2nd line center.

Schenn is RNH's closest comparable. Make of that what you will.

Reactions: nabob

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
I think they'll be stuck running at least 8D(they have 9 right now) since it doesn't look like Holland wants to risk waiving Koekkoek or Lagesson.

This seems to be right. I can't understand the reservations about Lagesson though. Every team has a Lagesson level prospect on their roster already, and none of the ones exposed were selected. Not even Kylington who has much more potential generated any interest. Now by waiting, he's exposed himself to the risk that the circumstances will change for teams (injuries and such) that when he eventually has to be exposed once Neal and Haas come off the IR, he may actually get claimed.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
This seems to be right. I can't understand the reservations about Lagesson though. Every team has a Lagesson level prospect on their roster already, and none of the ones exposed were selected. Not even Kylington who has much more potential generated any interest. Now by waiting, he's exposed himself to the risk that the circumstances will change for teams (injuries and such) that when he eventually has to be exposed once Neal and Haas come off the IR, he may actually get claimed.
Lagesson making league minimum as the #7 is fine. Russell making 1.25M to do the same thing is baffling. That extra .5M could have gone to extending RNH.

Reactions: Delicious Pancakes

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Lagesson making league minimum as the #7 is fine. Russell making 1.25M to do the same thing is baffling. That extra .5M could have gone to extending RNH.

I agree, but Lagesson likely wouldn't have met the exposure requirements, and it's even less likely now that Koekkoek is here. That said, I wish they could have just done Koekkoek for 2 years and that would have solved it.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
I agree, but Lagesson likely wouldn't have met the exposure requirements, and it's even less likely now that Koekkoek is here. That said, I wish they could have just done Koekkoek for 2 years and that would have solved it.
More like 0 chance lagesson meets the requirements. He’s our 8th D.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
When he was our 7th, I could have pictured him getting 27 games (barring injury) (ie. before signing Koekkoek). Now I agree there's no way he get 27 games unless we have multiple major injuries.
Was he ever the 7? Bouchard is in the mix too.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011

Seravalli predicting that RNH becomes a free agent in the summer. Says the Oilers have made it clear they are not willing to go north of 7 million per year.

Also makes another bold prediction that the Oilers trade for a goaltender before the deadline.

Wonder what happened? Thought i read news where the contract started with a 6. I love Nuge and want him here a long time but I kind of agree, I don’t think it should start with a 7 in a flat cap. 6.5 x whatever. Get it done.

Snipes45

May 26, 2020
Edmonton
Wonder what happened? Thought i read news where the contract started with a 6. I love Nuge and want him here a long time but I kind of agree, I don’t think it should start with a 7 in a flat cap. 6.5 x whatever. Get it done.
Good on Holland. Nuge has turned into a winger and I would say he didn't even provide full value his first 6x6. If he is that greedy that he wants a 7, seeya bud.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan

Barzal is the better player I would argue at this point. Barzal's contract was for only RFA years though, so you gotta figure that RNH's camp is using it as a comparable on the low end. The two players past performance over the past 2 seasons has been very similar, but I think moving forward Barzal should be expected to be the better player.

All in all though, I might have to rethink my opinion that nobody would give RNH 7+ based on that Barzal deal (I had kinda forgot he signed that).

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan

RFA vs. UFA, shorter term vs. long term, franchise center line driver vs. complimentary 1st line winger/2nd line center.

Schenn is indeed a better comparable as far as where they were in their careers (both UFA, both are wing/C). Schenn has slightly less points and slightly better goal scoring, and both are fairly defensively responsible. Schenn signed pre-COVID as well, which helps the Oilers case if they are using this as a comp for their argument (which they likely would). I dunno. Something "around 7" likely gets it done if RNH wants to stay here.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Barzal is the better player I would argue at this point. Barzal's contract was for only RFA years though, so you gotta figure that RNH's camp is using it as a comparable on the low end. The two players past performance over the past 2 seasons has been very similar, but I think moving forward Barzal should be expected to be the better player.

All in all though, I might have to rethink my opinion that nobody would give RNH 7+ based on that Barzal deal (I had kinda forgot he signed that).

There's no need to rethink anything based on the Barzal contract.

He is a lot better than RNH if we're being honest. He drives the entire offense for the Islanders. Put RNH in his spot without all the gravy McDrai PP and even strength boost and he's a 50-55 point player.
Barzal has rounded into a pretty good defensive player as well under Trotz so no advantage for Nuge there either.

I see you answered my previous post.
I think 7 is the max they can or should go. Ideally, it should start with a 6. If RNH wants to chase the money looking for somewhere near Duchene money, he'll have to go elsewhere.

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010

That's a good comparison but I don't think I completely agree. With Hopkins being 2 years younger and having 13 more points in 44 less games than Schenn does now I would argue the comparison favours Nuge. I think Nuge's skating will mean he ages better and I'd imagine other GM's would consider that too. I think Nuge is a more dynamic talent and will have a longer more productive career based on their skillsets.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
There's no need to rethink anything based on the Barzal contract.

He is a lot better than RNH if we're being honest. He drives the entire offense for the Islanders. Put RNH in his spot without all the gravy McDrai PP and even strength boost and he's a 50-55 point player.
Barzal has rounded into a pretty good defensive player as well under Trotz so no advantage for Nuge there either.

I see you answered my previous post.
I think 7 is the max they can or should go. Ideally, it should start with a 6. If RNH wants to chase the money looking for somewhere near Duchene money, he'll have to go elsewhere.
RNH is a 55 point player if you take all of those away. But with PP time and McDrai, he's a PPG player or more. I think that's where he's looking to get paid

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
Not necessarily. With the Taxi squad scenario they can carry 3 goalies on the active roster, 13 forwards and 7 defense. If they need to add a defenseman or forward on a game day, they can activate and dress them on pretty short notice.

That said, I'm not overly interested in Anderson.

Anderson would be a great #3 goalie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad