Rumor: Rumors and Proposals Thread | Oilers Have Kicked Tires on Some Veteran UFA Defencemen

Status
Not open for further replies.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Whoever they claim, if it's a player from a U.S. team, can't play for two weeks anyway.

The Canadian teams are at a major disadvantage when it comes to waivers and then the trade deadline because of the quarantine rules. Kind of unfair but that's the world we live in.

So we need a Canadian then, eh? Who's the best UFA in Canada right now?

Is Jeff Deslauriers still playing in that Alberta men's league? :sarcasm:

Faelko

Aug 11, 2002
Canes fans think it's insurance for if Nedeljkovic gets claimed.

Makes sense. If Ned clears, he probably goes to the taxi and Forsberg is back on waivers.
So maybe Holland is privy to the strategy and Forsberg is patiently waiting for tomorrow at 10:am to see if the Oilers reclaim him after the Canes waive him again?

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Canes fans think it's insurance for if Nedeljkovic gets claimed.

Makes sense. If Ned clears, he probably goes to the taxi and Forsberg is back on waivers.
If we claim Ned, then waive him for the taxi and he gets claimed by Carolina, they can immediately send him wherever. The same goes for when they waive Forsberg for the taxi squad. We wouldn't need to waive him if we reclaimed him.

This might be a whole lot of nothing.

AsparaGus

Feb 16, 2020
So we need a Canadian then, eh? Who's the best UFA in Canada right now?

Is Jeff Deslauriers still playing in that Alberta men's league? :sarcasm:
He’s a realtor in Edmonton. Works downtown. You can find which firm by searching “The Google”. So yes, he can do spot duty.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

Smartguy

May 3, 2010
Edmonton
If we claim Ned, then waive him for the taxi and he gets claimed by Carolina, they can immediately send him wherever. The same goes for when they waive Forsberg for the taxi squad. We wouldn't need to waive him if we reclaimed him.

Yeah I could see this. I don’t understand why people are freaking out also. We don’t need that #3 just yet, unless Smith has issues, which then I get why people are freaking.

They won’t claim Nedeljkovic just to have to waive him again so Carolina can take him back.

I’m willing to bet this was insurance on a team like Jersey, who just claimed Comrie, who could have taken nedeljkovic and used him as a backup.

Why would Carolina want to carry all of Forsberg, Mrazek, Reimer on their 23 man roster? Unless they figured that was better than having Nedeljkovic riding pine for the year on the taxi squad and would rather him be the starter in the AHL

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002

Though that only works if the original team that lost the player is the only team putting a claim in when he goes back on waivers.

Reactions: belair

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
Yeah I could see this. I don’t understand why people are freaking out also. We don’t need that #3 just yet, unless Smith has issues, which then I get why people are freaking.

They won’t claim Nedeljkovic just to have to waive him again so Carolina can take him back.

I’m willing to bet this was insurance on a team like Jersey, who just claimed Comrie, who could have taken nedeljkovic and used him as a backup.

Why would Carolina want to carry all of Forsberg, Mrazek, Reimer on their 23 man roster? Unless they figured that was better than having Nedeljkovic riding pine for the year on the taxi squad and would rather him be the starter in the AHL

Teams are required to have three goalies this year between the active roster and the taxi squad.

MuzzaFuzza

MVP(s)
Apr 20, 2012
Red Deer
He's a really good bottom sixer, but damn, I don't know about that good.

I admittedly don't know much about him but hes going to turn 30 later this year and is coming off his best scoring year, which was still only at a 35 point pace. At least its only 3 years but yeah, looks pretty bad.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
I admittedly don't know much about him but hes going to turn 30 later this year and is coming off his best scoring year, which was still only at a 35 point pace. At least its only 3 years but yeah, looks pretty bad.

He, Eriksson Ek and Hartman were pretty close to the best 4th line in the league as far as analytics go.

Still seems pricey though.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Minnesota signs Folgino to a 3 year, $9.3 million extension. Is it just me or is that a MASSIVE overpay?
Comparable to Kassian. It's not like they're hurting for cap space either.

Also of note, his salary this year is $3.5m and the AAV bump is a measly $300k.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario

But If Kassian signed this year he's likley looking at closer to $2-2.5M in today's market. Last year was the first time in his career that he hit 25 points. Different situation but Kassian had 34 pts in 59 vs 25 in 59 for Foligno.

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
I meant to play in a game... I could be the #3 and still comply with a taxi squad rule...

You want someone who has the potential to win a game. Possibility that one goalie either tests positive or was in close contact with a person who did, and has to isolate, and our other goalie was in goalie meetings and also has to isolate. Or something similar to that. They had a decent third option and now they don’t, in a season where you absolutely need one.

Reactions: Behind Enemy Lines

MuzzaFuzza

MVP(s)
Apr 20, 2012
Red Deer

To be fair Kassian's contract is pretty bad :( and signed pre-pandemic.

But thats fair, like i said above at least its only a 3 year deal.

AddyTheWrath

Mar 24, 2015
Toronto

Seravalli predicting that RNH becomes a free agent in the summer. Says the Oilers have made it clear they are not willing to go north of 7 million per year.

Also makes another bold prediction that the Oilers trade for a goaltender before the deadline.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->