Rumor: Rumors and Proposals Thread | Oilers Have Kicked Tires on Some Veteran UFA Defencemen

Status
Not open for further replies.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Seravalli predicting that RNH becomes a free agent in the summer. Says the Oilers have made it clear they are not willing to go north of 7 million per year.

Also makes another bold prediction that the Oilers trade for a goaltender before the deadline.

I'm glad the Oilers are holding firm on that. Nuge, as much as I'd like to keep him, isn't worth over $7M especially in COVID cap world. If he doesn't understand why they can't go that high with him being the very distant 3rd best forward on the team then it's too bad and I wish him (and especially the team that pays him that much) luck in his #1 center role elsewhere.

I hope that goaltender is from one of the Canadian teams because it'll be tough to stomach giving up a good asset for a goalie who won't be here for two weeks which is a lot of games in this condensed format.

AddyTheWrath

Mar 24, 2015
Toronto
I'm glad the Oilers are holding firm on that. Nuge, as much as I'd like to keep him, isn't worth over $7M especially in COVID cap world. If he doesn't understand why they can't go that high with him being the very distant 3rd best forward on the team then it's too bad and I wish him (and especially the team that pays him that much) luck in his #1 center role elsewhere.

I hope that goaltender is from one of the Canadian teams because it'll be tough to stomach giving up a good asset for a goalie who won't be here for two weeks which is a lot of games in this condensed format.
What goalie would that really be? the only one I can think of is Andersen. Montreal isn’t giving up Price, Calgary isn’t giving up Markstrom, Winnipeg isn’t giving up Hellebuyck, Vancouver isn’t giving up Demko, and Ottawa isn’t giving up Murray.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009

Seravalli predicting that RNH becomes a free agent in the summer. Says the Oilers have made it clear they are not willing to go north of 7 million per year.

Also makes another bold prediction that the Oilers trade for a goaltender before the deadline.

They made that clear as right now they don't know what the cap landscape for the league is looking like going forward. Maybe we don't re-sign him, but there is still a lot of time for things to sort out

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010
I wonder about Jimmy Howard as a #3. He was poor last year in 27 games but the two years before he played 55 and 60 games with a .909 an .910 sv%. Maybe Holland's previous relationship sees him sign here. I'd be cool with him as a #3.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

3IR

Feb 12, 2019
I want nuge here forever, but if he's looking for more than 7m long term, I just don't think it's realistic in todays world.

If the cap was steadily increasing, then maybe, and unfortunately he's not at the age where he can take a short contract and cash in when the cap goes back to normal without risk of losing all his leverage. It might just be a case of awful timing, and he ends up leaving.

Reactions: Aerchon

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
RNH won't get more than $7 M on open market though, not with the COVID-cap in place.
I don't see him going to market. I see him waiting waiting till last minute to sign to get what he can based on the Oilers cap and where the world is at that time

Reactions: ujju2

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
I don't see him going to market. I see him waiting waiting till last minute to sign to get what he can based on the Oilers cap and where the world is at that time

Yeah, this is what I see as well. RNH has already made $38.3 million in his career. He is a smart kid, so we won't be reading about any "Kane like" stories about him and his money management. So he is already set for life. I don't think he is going to leave the Oilers over a $500 K/season difference, or even $750 K. Lets say for example that there is some team out there willing to pay $7.25 M, and the Oilers are offering $6.75. Do you really think that RNH leaves over a $3.5 M difference (assuming 7 year deal), when he will have made 38.3 + (6.75 * 7) = $85.55 M by the end of the contract?

The other advantage, is that the Oilers could offer an 8th year on the deal, taking the contract to when he is 35, rather than 34 with another team. RNH at 34-35 won't be what he is now obviously, but he doesn't have "hard miles" on him at this point, has been very injury free for the most part, and doesn't play a style that would age very badly either. I don't think the team would freak out over adding that 8th year is my point. The reality is that the Oilers window to win is the next 5 years where we have 29 + 97 under contract. Holland isn't really going to be worrying about the impact in the 5th-8th years of a potential RNH contract, because unfortunately we will very likely lose 1 of 29/97 at that point anyhow and our window to win will be essentially over.

On top of that, all indications are that RNH really likes it in Edmonton, and I believe married a girl from Edmonton didn't he? He has lived through the tough years, and I would be very surprised if he wants out just when it looks like we could actually compete for a cup.

Reactions: CycloneSweep

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Yeah, this is what I see as well. RNH has already made $38.3 million in his career. He is a smart kid, so we won't be reading about any "Kane like" stories about him and his money management. So he is already set for life. I don't think he is going to leave the Oilers over a $500 K/season difference, or even $750 K. Lets say for example that there is some team out there willing to pay $7.25 M, and the Oilers are offering $6.75. Do you really think that RNH leaves over a $3.5 M difference (assuming 7 year deal), when he will have made either 38.3 + (6.75 * 7) = $85.55 M at that point?

The other advantage, is that the Oilers could offer an 8th year on the deal, taking the contract to when he is 35, rather than 34 with another team. RNH at 34-35 won't be what he is now obviously, but he doesn't have "hard miles" on him at this point, has been very injury free for the most part, and doesn't play a style that would age very badly either. I don't think the team would freak out over adding that 8th year is my point. The reality is that the Oilers window to win is the next 5 years where we have 29 + 97 under contract. Holland isn't really going to be worrying about the impact in the 6th-8th years of a potential RNH contract, because unfortunately we will very likely lose 1 of 29/97 at that point anyhow and our window to win will be essentially over.

On top of that, all indications are that RNH really likes it in Edmonton, and I believe married a girl from Edmonton didn't he? He has lived through the tough years, and I would be very surprised if he wants out just when it looks like we could actually compete for a cup.
Nuge wants to most he can get and the team also doesn't want to screw themselves over doing it now when their cap situation is too in the air for next year. Wait till later, see the kind of years other guys have too, sign then

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
That was last years flavour, this year he's all about Canucks.

I think Treliving is still stuck in Arizona GM mode in which he targets players from Canadian teams for revenue purposes due to all of the snow birds that go down there in the winter. Earth to Brad: You're Calgary's GM now :laugh:

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
They made that clear as right now they don't know what the cap landscape for the league is looking like going forward. Maybe we don't re-sign him, but there is still a lot of time for things to sort out

I want nuge here forever, but if he's looking for more than 7m long term, I just don't think it's realistic in todays world.

If the cap was steadily increasing, then maybe, and unfortunately he's not at the age where he can take a short contract and cash in when the cap goes back to normal without risk of losing all his leverage. It might just be a case of awful timing, and he ends up leaving.

Forget who it was but someone just signed for 7 that is a very good marker for Nuge.

I hope this is posturing from Nuge camp but I don't think it is. Which is very unfortunate. 7 in the current market is more than fair for Nuge no matter what the term. Nuge imo owes the organization a bit of a discount since for the majority of his career he has been at least slightly overpaid.

I hope we can keep him but it seems like few player stay put after reaching UFA status and all of them want top dollar and not a penny less.

Barzal, thanks @McDNicks17

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
If Nuge goes out - you better have a replacement lined up.

He's our best PKer and rounded out into an incredibly valuable top six forward.

Next year's FA pool doesn't look that strong to me so...buckle up.
I think worst case you can bring back Hall. Definitely rather have Nuge though.

Reactions: ujju2

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
If the Oilers claim Anderson do they not just have to throw him back on waivers? Don’t see this happening.

Jimmy Howard seems more realistic.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Forget who it was but someone just signed for 7 that is a very good marker for Nuge.

I hope this is posturing from Nuge camp but I don't think it is. Which is very unfortunate. 7 in the current market is more than fair for Nuge no matter what the term. Nuge imo owes the organization a bit of a discount since for the majority of his career he has been at least slightly overpaid.

I hope we can keep him but it seems like few player stay put after reaching UFA status and all of them want top dollar and not a penny less.

Barzal?

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
If the Oilers claim Anderson do they not just have to throw him back on waivers? Don’t see this happening.

I think now that Klefbom is on LTIR(I think he is?), they'd have room to carry three goalies for a bit.

They have the flexibility to run 12F/8D/3G if they wanted by sending Bouch to the taxi.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site

Not necessarily. With the Taxi squad scenario they can carry 3 goalies on the active roster, 13 forwards and 7 defense. If they need to add a defenseman or forward on a game day, they can activate and dress them on pretty short notice.

That said, I'm not overly interested in Anderson.

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010
The reality is that the Oilers window to win is the next 5 years where we have 29 + 97 under contract. Holland isn't really going to be worrying about the impact in the 5th-8th years of a potential RNH contract, because unfortunately we will very likely lose 1 of 29/97 at that point anyhow and our window to win will be essentially over.

Why? Crosby+Malkin, Kane+Toews, Ovechkin+Backstrom, Datsuyk+Zetterburg, ect... If the team has success it's reasonable to expect the Oilers could retain both superstar forwards. Holland kept his core together in Detroit, why expect that he can't here?

I think you're right that Nuge signs and Covid makes it for less but I think the Oilers would cave and give 7.5 if they had to. He can play 1st line, 1st PP, 1st PK, and be elite in all of the roles. Nuge has been an elite LW when playing with either McDavid or Draisaitl. I don't see how they can replace him and given his age, production, and versatility he'll be highly coveted as a UFA. A team will give him 8.5 if he goes UFA and both sides know it. A lesser player in Kevin Hayes got paid big for the same reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad