Rumor: Rumors and Proposals Thread | OEL or Bust!

Would You Trade Oscar Klefbom, Kris Russell and the 2021 1st Round Pick For OEL?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
You do realize that Edmonton is likely going to let one of those 2 middle 6 FWD go for nothing right?

To me JP has the value of a 2nd round pick, AA a 3rd to a 5th considering that it’s better than the nothing we likely get for him.

A 2nd and a 4th for not a backup, but a 1B this past season, that posted insane numbers, signed for another 2 seasons at 4M is a fair deal.

Either Korpisalo or Merzilkins for that deal would be solid value.

It’a crazy that people believe AA holds tonnes of value when he won’t even be qualified in 2 weeks.
He was a 1B on a team with one of the stingiest defenses in the league. That's an overpay for a guy who would be no better than Koskinen behind this team

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Neal for Fleury?

Vegas gets rid of a potential goalie controversy and softens the blow of losing a fan favourite by at least bringing in a player familiar to the fanbase. Neal scored 44 points with them and was on pace for 35 to 40 points before the season ended. Vegas saves $1.25M a year on the cap. Toughest pill is the third year remaining on Neal's contract. But if the team is willing to look at Calgary as a blip they might make the trade.

The Oilers would have a huge number in goal, but it's worth it for getting rid of the Neal contract.

Fleury plus Ennis re-signed at $1.5M still saves the Oilers a million bucks compared to last year looking at the money they spent on Mike Smith and James Neal.

Vegas can’t afford the Neal contract either IIRC.

Smartguy

May 3, 2010
Edmonton
He was a 1B on a team with one of the stingiest defenses in the league. That's an overpay for a guy who would be no better than Koskinen behind this team

That would be terrific then, running a tandem with a goalie that just posted a .917 last season and one that could do around the same would be MASSIVE for this team. Not to mention the one acquired being only 26.

Reactions: ujju2

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
I would image the piece coming back from CBJ for JP would be Sonny Milano

Edit: NM, he got traded to Ana

XXIV97

Jun 2, 2016
Bob Nicholson on OilersNow: “We’ve got two of the best players in the world and we’re not going to make huge changes but Ken [Holland] will tinker with this line-up and make us a better hockey club." #LetsGoOilers
Seems unlikely that the Oilers will make any blockbuster moves.

Reactions: Aerchon

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
Do not trade for a goalie from Columbus. Look how Bob looked in Florida after.

A large part of goaltending is a product of the defense. Our defense was playing fairly competent this year and our tandem looked fine. Fix the D, before you spend big assets on a goalie.

Chayos

Mar 6, 2003
Winnipeg
Stopped reading at the Russel trade. Ottawa is doing the oilers a big favour. More and more teams will be having an internal cap and will be desperate to move players for penny on the dollar. Russel is a depth d man on a bad team. If the sens want add a player to get to the cap floor, I can see a team offering them a first and second to take a dump. We are too in love with the idea a team will give us a good asset to take Russel off our hands

We are trading 14 for 28, so they are getting Russell as part of the cost to move up. They are not doing us a favour.

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
Bob Nicholson on OilersNow: “We’ve got two of the best players in the world and we’re not going to make huge changes but Ken [Holland] will tinker with this line-up and make us a better hockey club." #LetsGoOilers
It depends. I could see Nicholson not considering Ekman-Larsson a "huge change". That depends on the person.

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009

Adam Cracknell coming up!

BlackDogg

perpetuum defectum
Oct 3, 2015
tinkering = status quo = another year gone

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
I still think our roster will be the end of season roster from last year without AA, Sheahan and Green. We will sign a 4c replacement Sheahan for the 3c spot

Nostradumbass

Divinity
Jan 1, 2007
tinkering = status quo = another year gone
A shortened season is the perfect one to bide some time and let contracts come off the books. 2021-2022's cap situation looks exponentially better and will provide freedom to make some moves. You have $2.33MM in buyouts coming off the books, Russell, Larsson, Chiasson expiring and the task of re-signing RNH & Yamamoto. 2021-2022 is the year to make the big push, whereas this year you make small tweaks to your lineup to set the team up for success for the following year.

With that said, I'm not saying that we shouldn't make the playoffs or treat this as a development year. It's not. I'm saying this isn't the year to try to change the complexion of the team to make a push for the cup when our cap situation looks exponentially better the following year.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
A shortened season is the perfect one to bide some time and let contracts come off the books. 2021-2022's cap situation looks exponentially better and will provide freedom to make some moves. You have $2.33MM in buyouts coming off the books, Russell, Larsson, Chiasson expiring and the task of re-signing RNH & Yamamoto. 2021-2022 is the year to make the big push, whereas this year you make small tweaks to your lineup to set the team up for success for the following year.

With that said, I'm not saying that we shouldn't make the playoffs or treat this as a development year. It's not. I'm saying this isn't the year to try to change the complexion of the team to make a push for the cup when our cap situation looks exponentially better the following year.
There is always an excuse for the organization to do nothing

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Do not trade for a goalie from Columbus. Look how Bob looked in Florida after.

A large part of goaltending is a product of the defense. Our defense was playing fairly competent this year and our tandem looked fine. Fix the D, before you spend big assets on a goalie.

You logic needs more logic.

If defense rules goalie performance and Koskinen had a damn good year, he did, then ergo our defense is good and does not need fixing...

Seriously though, our defense obviously could/should be better but it is league average plus or minus and certainly does not need fixing. Our team defense needs to be better but that includes the forwards.

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
Bob Nicks doesn’t know anything. He’s the entertainment side of the team. I’ll take Friedman and stauffers word over his

Reactions: ujju2

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
There is always an excuse for the organization to do nothing

So what does your 3 year plan look like then?

I would have prefered if Holland did a lot less last year. Hopefully he starts practicing what he preaches and does little to nothing this year.

Year 1 - last year: too much.

Year 2 - this year: hopefully little or nothing. Prep for expansion.

Year 3 - next year: concentrate on signing some core pieces for longer than 2 years. We will have space but most/all should be used for pieces from within hitting their stride. Post expansion and post covid (hopefully) we get a picture of the next "phase" of our team. The second half of McDrai contracts.

Year 4 - two years out: See above plus prepare for a coming soon window where hopefully cap goes way up, dead space goes down, and we can pick up a useful player via trade of assets (picks), deadline acquisitions, or maybe a very low risk UFA.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada

I'm not sure there's a single deal that makes sense for us where they get Puljujarvi. Honestly where does he even fit there? Bjorkstrand, Nyquist, Atkinson, Bemstrom and RFA Anderson.

Unless we're doing something like Neal and Puljujarvi for Wennberg and Anderson, I'm not really interested.

Nostradumbass

Divinity
Jan 1, 2007
I would have prefered if Holland did a lot less last year. Hopefully he starts practicing what he preaches and does little to nothing this year.

Year 1 - last year: too much.

Year 2 - this year: hopefully little or nothing. Prep for expansion.

Year 3 - next year: concentrate on signing some core pieces for longer than 2 years. We will have space but most/all should be used for pieces from within hitting their stride. Post expansion and post covid (hopefully) we get a picture of the next "phase" of our team. The second half of McDrai contracts.

Year 4 - two years out: See above plus prepare for a coming soon window where hopefully cap goes way up, dead space goes down, and we can pick up a useful player via trade of assets (picks), deadline acquisitions, or maybe a very low risk UFA.
I think last year was fine outside of the Sekera buyout, but I'm thinking along the same lines as you for the next 3 years. I just hope we can get some value contracts from the guys we've developed internally.

Reactions: Aerchon
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad