Rumor: Rumors and Proposals Thread | OEL or Bust!

Would You Trade Oscar Klefbom, Kris Russell and the 2021 1st Round Pick For OEL?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
My hope is that a team like Toronto offers AP a ridiculous amount of money like 12M a season. It should shake some other pieces loose and leave less money available on the table for other players.

After the dust settles quality NHL players are just going to hope to get a contract.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
It's not just any pick though. It's a first round pick, and they could spin it for their fans as they managed to acquire a first round pick in return for someone who wasn't going to re-sign with them anyways.

That's what's so creative about it. It isn't done, probably has never been done before in the NHL in the cap era. We're partitioning the value of the first round pick into two parts: AP's UFA rights, and Neal's cap dump.
Assuming buyout, it's an $11.5m pick.

tabs

Oct 30, 2009
The question we have to ask is how many teams in the league won’t have an internal budget lower than the 81.5 cap? And out of those teams, how many of them don’t have a top pairing dman? I’m guessing the answer is only a few. And we’re one of them.

AddyTheWrath

Mar 24, 2015
Toronto
The question we have to ask is how many teams in the league won’t have an internal budget lower than the 81.5 cap? And out of those teams, how many of them don’t have a top pairing dman? I’m guessing the answer is only a few. And we’re one of them.
So are the Leafs. And he's from there.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
f*** it, get Pietrangelo and OEL!

To St. Louis: Larsson (for Pietrangelo in a sign and trade) ($4.166 million)
To Edmonton: Pietrangelo 7 years $9 million AAV ($9 million)

To Arizona: Neal, K. Russell, Boston's '20 2nd rounder and Oilers '21 1st ($9.75 million) (Arizona buys out Neal)
To Edmonton: OEL ($8.25 million)

To Boston: Nurse ($5.6 million)
To Edmonton: Debrusk (RFA) and Boston's '20 2nd rounder ($3 million?)

Total cap in: $20.25 million
Total cap out: $19.516 million

Roster

Debrusk-McDavid-Puljujarvi
RNH-Draisaitl-Yamamoto
AA-Haas-Kassian
Nygard-Khaira/?-Archibald
Chiasson, P. Russell

OEL-Pietrangelo
Klefbom-Bear
Jones-Bouchard/Benning
Bouchard/Benning

Koskinen
?

tabs

Oct 30, 2009
So are the Leafs. And he's from there.
I guess I should have added the third point of it actually being doable to fit Pietro in. Leafs have 6 mill in cap space with 18 players signed. We know he won’t come in at less than 8 mill, so who are Leafs moving out? You could say Nylander, but then the rest of their lineup will be league min players. At least with Edmonton, the players we’d move out for cap space would be players we’d be ok with moving out. Russell, Larsson, Benning, Neal, Khaira.

Rpenny

Feb 23, 2019
PETRO ufa - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

Trades

EDM-2020 1st round pick (NYI)
2020 2nd round pick (OTT)
OTT-Russell, Kris
2020 1st round pick (EDM)

EDM-2020 2nd round pick (WPG)
2021 3rd round pick (WPG)
WPG-Larsson, Adam

EDM-2020 2nd round pick (BUF)
BUF-Athanasiou, Andreas [RFA Rights]

EDM-Georgiev, Alexandar [RFA Rights]
NYR-Kassian, Zack
2020 2nd round pick (BUF)
2021 3rd round pick (WPG)
Buyouts

• Andrej Sekera: $2,500,000
  • Benoit Pouliot: $1,333,333
  • James Neal: $1,916,667
Retained Salary Transactions

• Milan Lucic: $750,000 (13%)
DRAFT YEARROUND 1ROUND 2ROUND 3ROUND 4ROUND 5ROUND 6ROUND 7
new_york_islanders.svg
ottawa_senators_21.svg

winnipeg_jets.svg
edmonton_oilers.svg
edmonton_oilers.svg
edmonton_oilers.svg
edmonton_oilers.svg
edmonton_oilers.svg
edmonton_oilers.svg
edmonton_oilers.svg

pittsburgh_penguins.svg
edmonton_oilers.svg
edmonton_oilers.svg
edmonton_oilers.svg
edmonton_oilers.svg
edmonton_oilers.svg
edmonton_oilers.svg
edmonton_oilers.svg
edmonton_oilers.svg
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
ROSTER
LONG-TERM OUTLOOK
EMBED
TEXT-EMBED
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES
q2.svg
BONUSESCAP SPACE
22$81,500,000$81,315,485$682,653$730,000$184,515
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Left WingCenterRight Wing
edmonton_oilers.svg

Ennis, Tyler
$800,000
C, LW, RW
UFA
edmonton_oilers.svg

McDavid, Connor
$12,500,000
C
UFA - 6
Granlund, Mikael
$3,500,000
C, RW
UFA
edmonton_oilers.svg

Nugent-Hopkins, Ryan
$6,000,000
C, LW
UFA - 1
edmonton_oilers.svg

Draisaitl, Leon
$8,500,000
C, LW, RW
UFA - 5
edmonton_oilers.svg

Yamamoto, Kailer
$894,166
RW, C
RFA - 1
edmonton_oilers.svg

Benson, Tyler
$808,333
LW
RFA - 1
Galchenyuk, Alex
$3,500,000
LW, C, RW
UFA
edmonton_oilers.svg

Puljujärvi, Jesse
$1,250,000
RW
RFA
edmonton_oilers.svg

Chiasson, Alex
$2,150,000
RW
UFA - 1
edmonton_oilers.svg

Khaira, Jujhar
$1,200,000
C, LW
RFA - 1
edmonton_oilers.svg

Archibald, Josh
$1,500,000
RW
UFA - 2
edmonton_oilers.svg

Russell, Patrick
$700,000
RW
UFA - 1
[THEAD] [/THEAD]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
edmonton_oilers.svg

Nurse, Darnell
$5,600,000
LD
UFA - 2
edmonton_oilers.svg

Bear, Ethan
$1,800,000
RD
RFA
edmonton_oilers.svg

Koskinen, Mikko
$4,500,000
G
NTC
UFA - 2
edmonton_oilers.svg

Klefbom, Oscar
$4,167,000
LD
UFA - 3
Pietrangelo, Alex
$9,500,000
RD
UFA
Georgiev, Alexandar
$2,750,000
G
RFA
edmonton_oilers.svg

Jones, Caleb
$850,000
LD
RFA - 2
edmonton_oilers.svg

Bouchard, Evan
$863,333
RD
RFA - 3
edmonton_oilers.svg

Lagesson, William
$800,000
LD
RFA
[THEAD] [/THEAD]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Stopped reading at the Russel trade. Ottawa is doing the oilers a big favour. More and more teams will be having an internal cap and will be desperate to move players for penny on the dollar. Russel is a depth d man on a bad team. If the sens want add a player to get to the cap floor, I can see a team offering them a first and second to take a dump. We are too in love with the idea a team will give us a good asset to take Russel off our hands

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
It's funny how we're lining up to sign a 30 year old AP over 9 million but we're outraged that Holland is trying to get a dman, not as good as AP and not as old, that makes 8.25 lol
Not as good is a 1000% understatement. Plus the cost is only money and cap space not a big whack of assets. A P at $9M is a huge upgrade over OEL at $8.25M at the cost of Klefbom and a 1st. Of course you would have to move salary to fit him in but you can get a return for those assets that could also help you immensely if done smartly.

If there was any chance at all AP would sign in Edmonton you have to look at it seriously. He'll probably be one of the best defensemen in the league for the next five years at least.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Stopped reading at the Russel trade. Ottawa is doing the oilers a big favour. More and more teams will be having an internal cap and will be desperate to move players for penny on the dollar. Russel is a depth d man on a bad team. If the sens want add a player to get to the cap floor, I can see a team offering them a first and second to take a dump. We are too in love with the idea a team will give us a good asset to take Russel off our hands
Russell also only makes 1.5 with a cap hit of 4, which lets Ottawa have their salary well below the cap floor.

you should pay attention, most Ottawa fans are interested in that deal.

Reactions: McXLNC97

Smartguy

May 3, 2010
Edmonton
My hope is that a team like Toronto offers AP a ridiculous amount of money like 12M a season. It should shake some other pieces loose and leave less money available on the table for other players.

After the dust settles quality NHL players are just going to hope to get a contract.
I can not understand Toronto. Do they think the cap doesn’t exist? They already have half their cap invested in 4 guys, why would you add another 9-11M on another player?

I have little doubt Dubas will be fired in 2 years when they continually get beat out or don’t make playoffs and there going to have to move some of those massive contracts

Reactions: McDoused

jukon

NHL Point Leader
Mar 17, 2011
I'm sure compliance buyouts will magically appear when Toronto has their "oh God what did we do" moment

Reactions: dawunderboy

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
I can not understand Toronto. Do they think the cap doesn’t exist? They already have half their cap invested in 4 guys, why would you add another 9-11M on another player?

I have little doubt Dubas will be fired in 2 years when they continually get beat out or don’t make playoffs and there going to have to move some of those massive contracts

They're going to acquire every old LTIR contract to artificially "create" cap space.

Something the Oilers might want to consider doing, tbh.

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
What I can say about AP is this. I was 20 when he was drafted. He played here in Niagara, and at the time, I worked with people who went to high school with him. He was heartbroken at the draft. The Leafs had the next pick and its where he wanted to go.

I hate the Leafs. But, he knows if they make room for him, he makes them a contender. It's his childhood team. It's where his family is. Would that not be #1 on your list?

We can only hope that desire has changed, or that Toronto can't make the money work, where we should be able to.

mullet

Aug 2, 2005
Could they do something a little unorthodox such as trade Russell (withhold his entire sal) and Neal for purpose of buyout(retaining Russell's money makes buy out less) and a pick to clear out a bunch of cap? Might make sense if there are a lot of players on bargain deals as opposed to a pick which may or may not turn out.

Smartguy

May 3, 2010
Edmonton

Thought this was interesting, especially considering that CBJ is trying to move one of their goalies before next year.

I wonder if there is a deal to be had around JP and Merzilkins. People can recall that CBJ was the team also rumored to have acquired AA before he was traded to Edmonton. JP+AA right for Merzilkins?

Reactions: ujju2

BlackDogg

perpetuum defectum
Oct 3, 2015
They should just bring them both in and have them take turns having mc David make them look like turn styles. Use that for evaluation . We know he has done it to oel

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
Neal for Fleury?

Vegas gets rid of a potential goalie controversy and softens the blow of losing a fan favourite by at least bringing in a player familiar to the fanbase. Neal scored 44 points with them and was on pace for 35 to 40 points before the season ended. Vegas saves $1.25M a year on the cap. Toughest pill is the third year remaining on Neal's contract. But if the team is willing to look at Calgary as a blip they might make the trade.

The Oilers would have a huge number in goal, but it's worth it for getting rid of the Neal contract.

Fleury plus Ennis re-signed at $1.5M still saves the Oilers a million bucks compared to last year looking at the money they spent on Mike Smith and James Neal.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017

Thought this was interesting, especially considering that CBJ is trying to move one of their goalies before next year.

I wonder if there is a deal to be had around JP and Merzilkins. People can recall that CBJ was the team also rumored to have acquired AA before he was traded to Edmonton. JP+AA right for Merzilkins?

That's an absolutely passive overpay. Giving them potentially 2 middle 6 wingers for a backup goalie?

Reactions: Mcnotloilersfan

Smartguy

May 3, 2010
Edmonton
That's an absolutely passive overpay. Giving them potentially 2 middle 6 wingers for a backup goalie?
You do realize that Edmonton is likely going to let one of those 2 middle 6 FWD go for nothing right?

To me JP has the value of a 2nd round pick, AA a 3rd to a 5th considering that it’s better than the nothing we likely get for him.

A 2nd and a 4th for not a backup, but a 1B this past season, that posted insane numbers, signed for another 2 seasons at 4M is a fair deal.

Either Korpisalo or Merzilkins for that deal would be solid value.

It’a crazy that people believe AA holds tonnes of value when he won’t even be qualified in 2 weeks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad