Rumor: Rumors and Proposals Thread | OEL or Bust!

Would You Trade Oscar Klefbom, Kris Russell and the 2021 1st Round Pick For OEL?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I highly doubt we'd give the 1st this year. I do think one of Klefbom or Nurse are gone if we get OEL. Our defence, in 2-3 years will be stacked if all goes according to development. So if its this offseason or maybe the next, one will have to be moved. This is also why I think we drafted Broberg. A replacement for Klefbom or Nurse
We can't just trade Nurse or Klef for OEL. That's impossible to sell to their fans. We'd have to give them something key. You just cannot make a major trade like this just saving cash.

Or maybe Puljujarvi would be something they could sell to their fans?

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
You don't think they would take Neal or Russell? Russell is owed 1 million, money wise, and is a free agent in next season. If we give them Neal, they can buy him out and he'd only be owed around 1.25 mill per season I believe
Also, no one said it would be a high end ELC player lol. The talk is around Nurse who will need a contract soon
Moving Russell's contract only assists us for one season. Adding an $8.25m ticket will require more salary moving out long-term. As I posted before, adding this to your payroll leaves us in very a bad spot beginning next season. You would need to burn more assets to shed salary further, ultimately adding to the acquisition cost.

Them talking Neal is the only way I see this deal working. The buyout cost to him is $1.917m for six years. If they're looking at cutting cost what else do they take back? Taking back Nurse would add to the cost. And from our side either he or Klefbom would have to move.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
We can't just trade Nurse or Klef for OEL. That's impossible to sell to their fans. We'd have to give them something key. You just cannot make a major trade like this just saving cash.

What fans?
They can sell Hall to their fans if they want to open up the wallet.
Nurse is producing as much as OEL and not getting any PP time. One is in upswing of career and the other on declining. I am sure their fans will get over it especially if they save big on cap long term.

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018

Yeah which is why I think we'd give the pick for next year. Arizona wants both of their first round picks back. Get one back for Kuemper from another team. 2021 pick from us for OEL

Smartguy

May 3, 2010
Edmonton
the fact that it was record setting means it is destined to regress.

Teams with amazing talent on their PP don't always put up the best PPs (ie Pittsburgh for many years), and PP% doesn't stay the same year to year.

Teams will take more time researching it and adjusting to our PP. All it takes is for one team to figure it out, and then they all do. The only way to keep the percentage high is to keep it fresh.

It really seems like OEL would be an upgrade. There has to be a better argument to keeping Klef than "don't mess with a good thing". You have to explain what he does that is so irreplaceable on it.
I’ve explained multiple times in these threads, wish I could find the clip, Tippett explained to all media who asked about Klefbom on the PP, though he doesn’t really bring anything to, and why he hasn’t tried someone else there. He’s said he doesn’t really coach the PP, he lets them go out and play “street hockey”, in that you have 2 of the most creative players in the world, they know how to make magic with space. He said that they are the ones who want Klefbom on the PP because he’s so predictable. He just holds the puck in, doesn’t move much and allows them to run the PP.

I’ve said this before, everyone says they need a big shot or a PP QB defenseman, but that then means the puck is in the hands of Mcdavid or Drai less, and the play funnels through them less, that could also be a bad thing

T-Funk

Oct 15, 2006
Their fans can be on board with dumping salary, or cheer for Quebec I guess.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I’ve explained multiple times in these threads, wish I could find the clip, Tippett explained to all media who asked about Klefbom on the PP, though he doesn’t really bring anything to, and why he hasn’t tried someone else there. He’s said he doesn’t really coach the PP, he lets them go out and play “street hockey”, in that you have 2 of the most creative players in the world, they know how to make magic with space. He said that they are the ones who want Klefbom on the PP because he’s so predictable. He just holds the puck in, doesn’t move much and allows them to run the PP.

I’ve said this before, everyone says they need a big shot or a PP QB defenseman, but that then means the puck is in the hands of Mcdavid or Drai less, and the play funnels through them less, that could also be a bad thing
OEL could play that role just fine. Just because you have more weapons doesn't mean you have to use them all the time. 5 on 5 is the main reason to get a top pairing D. Even then, it's not like Klef in his passive role on the point during the PP didn't ever shoot, so there was room for improvement

Reactions: belair

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
OEL could play that role just fine. Just because you have more weapons doesn't mean you have to use them all the time. 5 on 5 is the main reason to get a top pairing D. Even then, it's not like Klef in his passive role on the point during the PP didn't ever shoot, so there was room for improvement
OEL's not much different than Klefbom on the PP. But he's a better passer and a far more accurate shot.

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
OEL
Broberg
Bouchard
Nurse
Jones

in 2 years

is a lot better then what we have now, much more mobile, more IQ, coachable, If Broberg/Bouchard are coachable then we have a gem, if not find an alternative

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Their fans can be on board with dumping salary, or cheer for Quebec I guess.
If you really want the player (and this isn't just for OEL but any trade), it's best not to act like a predator and trying to just take advantage of GMs, but to work with their limitations and make it a win for both sides.

T-Funk

Oct 15, 2006
If you really want the player (and this isn't just for OEL but any trade), it's best not to act like a predator and trying to just take advantage of GMs, but to work with their limitations and make it a win for both sides.
Oh the attitude of no GM ever. I'm fine if Arizona comes out of this OK, but if the Owner's mandate is fully clear 8.25 million from that contract right now, the fans don't get to have a Klefbom or Nurse. They really have no say in it if the owner cannot afford that much for defense.

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
To ger some in a tight cap situation, the other partner in the deal, also want slmerhing. You have to give.

And in this forum, people most often dangles Nurse or Larsson in deals, sometimes Klefbom.

So in seriousness, there would be one of them to be gived up, to get a complete top 6, instead of this neverending fill ins, upubwant more Ratties, Puljujärvis, Kassians, Jurcos etc.? Archibald, Nygård is not made forntop6 roles but were given tries beacause lack of talent for that role.

So actually, a top 6 forward to complete would be priority here. 3C will be solved by time.

Ennis and AA were not the splution, but maybe give Ennis a shot to compete for being the third wheel on Draisaitls wing.

Nuge McDavid Blank
Blank Draisaitl Yamamoto
Chiasson Khaira Neal
Nygård Sheahan Archibald

Trades are in need to be made

Defense
Nurse Bear
Klefbom Bouchard
Russell Larsson
Jones Benning

So there are at least two Ds to danglenin trades. Nurse is the least hockey smart, Klefbom often injured but has the best hockeybrain, and always scores the most goals from the backend!- probably most valueable. And Larsson, who had value as a righty.

The easy answer here would be Larsson, but I would danglenNurse for a rich package - he is coming to be expebsive for what he actually is..

Nurse in trade for young ”around the net ” top 6 winger. The type of guy McDavid has best chemistry with.

Rufus Aslegard

Jun 15, 2019

Like all those GMs did when dealing with Chia?

nope - take the players and screw the other teams

Reactions: McTonyBrar
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad