Rumor: Rumors and Proposals Thread | OEL or Bust!

Would You Trade Oscar Klefbom, Kris Russell and the 2021 1st Round Pick For OEL?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

T-Funk

Oct 15, 2006
Sort of. You aren’t allowed to buy a player out with the intention of then signing them to a better deal. The year thing is with compliance buyouts. The Caps could sign Orpik because they didn’t buy him out, Colorado did. And Calgary was allowed to sign Stone because they didn’t intend to sign him, but then one of their dmen got hurt and they circled back to him later on
So we can't do what is being proposed for Neal.

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
I think Chicago kind of figured out our powerplay a bit. Obviously it was phenomenal this year but that doesnt mean that we can't make adjustments so that it can continue to be good. The game is always changing and running the same thing will catch up to you eventually. It would be nice to have the option of OEL shooting the puck back there if teams are going to give you all that open ice.
We had the #1 PP in the regular season with a 29.5% success rate
We have the current #1 PP in the playoffs with a 29.4% success rate

If our PP being "figured out" amounts to a 0.1% drop in success rate I think that bodes pretty well for our future. :thumbu:

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Scenario #1: Oilers sign Barrie, trade Larsson for a Kasperi Kapanen-esque player.

Scenario #2: Oilers trade Klefbom, a prospect and a 1st for OEL.

That ends up being Barrie, Klefbom, a Kasperi Kapanen-esque player, a prospect and a 1st vs. OEL and Larsson.

When you look at it like this, does trading for OEL make even the slightest bit of sense if a guy like Barrie is willing to sign?

Last edited:

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013

If our PP being "figured out" amounts to a 0.1% drop in success rate I think that bodes pretty well for our future. :thumbu:
Our PP is heavily inflated by the first bit of that series where everything went in for both sides. As the series went on, Chicago shut our PP down. It is possible it is getting figured out. Chicago had months of analyzing our PP and PK, knowing we wouldn't change it up.

I'd be curious about what the PP% was like during the season, not the average for the whole thing but what it was like in the beginning and towards the end.

At any rate, I'm sort of leaning against OEL a bit, after being all for it. However, I definitely don't think we need to keep Klefbom at all costs, just because our PP can't change.

Reactions: McDoused

Soul8

Jan 20, 2018
For those of you talking about the 2nd PP unit, it prety much doesn't exist, McD and Drai were on the ice for the full pp most of the year which is why we had a record breaking PP. I can't see them changing that one up. They might change out the dman mid way, but a 2nd unit did't really get much time last year

Reactions: McTonyBrar

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
One wishful thinking bubble bursts lol. McCann signs 2 year deal with Pens: Penguins re-sign foward McCann to 2-year deal

Third centreman hopes still alive with Tierney, Haula, Koivu, maybe wish lister versatile Grandlund or a cash retained Tyler Bozak.... Adding Anthony Cirelli. :0

My priority wish list remains:
1. Goaltending - a 1A lead tender ideally mid-twenties developing goalie with upside.
2. Defense - tweak to top two d pairing mix. I've been on the Barrie bandwagon.
3. Forward - 3 centre with offence ability, PK and face-off. Perfect world right-shot. Additional top six shoot first winger with speed.

Big list with little money (thanks Chia!). Holland will need a Haula lot of creativity to get anything done with Covid Cap. But there are real cash strapped franchises that likely have to sacrifice good players to meet real life budgets of their ownership groups.

Last edited:

AddyTheWrath

Mar 24, 2015
Toronto
D
Scenario #1: Oilers sign Barrie, trade Larsson for a Kasperi Kapanen-esque player.

Scenario #2: Oilers trade Klefbom, a prospect and a 1st for OEL.

That ends up being Barrie, Klefbom, a Kasperi Kapanen-esque player, a prospect and a 1st vs. OEL.

When you look at it like this, does trading for OEL make even the slightest bit of sense if a guy like Barrie is willing to sign?
Depends on how long Barrie would sign for, at what cap hit, and who you could get for Larsson. It also assumes you'd have to give up Klefbom for OEL, without shedding any other cap in the deal.

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3

This is all true.

I just trust my gut. The last game of series when we couldn't buy a goal and came up 0/5 on the powerplay.

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
I listened to the Friedman Boob conversation again lol Friedman asked him what did you hear, about OEL, and Bob didn't say anything just ignored it lmao

Reactions: Cloned

AddyTheWrath

Mar 24, 2015
Toronto
I don't think Holland is open to trading the 1st round pick for any goalie. Thank goodness, tbh. The only goaltenders that are worth 14 overall are Gibson, Vasilevski, Hart, and Hellebuyck.

Darkwinter

Apr 4, 2010
I can't help but feel that a trade going to happen and we are going to have a few shocked fans

jukon

NHL Point Leader
Mar 17, 2011
Assuming NYI doesn't resign him, I would rather add Derrick Brassard over Haula. He's comparable stats wise and will be half the cost.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Changed my opinion on OEL. Thought it through.

When it comes to trade return though, I'm not convinced that Arizona will get anything close to market value for this player knowing that this is a 30 year old player owed a significant amount of money over a very long term. Teams are either cap-poor or cash-poor as a result of COVID, which limits the market for frivolous assets. OEL's trade protection and the coming expansion draft complicates things further. If I'm an opposing GM, I recognize these obstacles and find a way of fitting this contract into my payroll at my own convenience. What OEL brings to the table is secondary to that.

In all honesty, I think he ends up in New Jersey. And I don't think Arizona ends up with the types of prospects this asset would normally merit in a trade. From an Oiler fan's perspective, I wouldn't trade for him straight up for a single one of our defensemen today because his contract would wreak chaos on my team's future cap outlook.

Yost's GAR nonsense is so far from being important.

If we were going to give Arizona high-end ELCs for this player, they would need to be in a position where they could accommodate outgoing salary long-term. It doesn't sound like that can happen. If we were adamant on making this trade happen, the majority of value would go into finding a home for Neal's contract.

Last edited:

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Our PP is heavily inflated by the first bit of that series where everything went in for both sides. As the series went on, Chicago shut our PP down. It is possible it is getting figured out. Chicago had months of analyzing our PP and PK, knowing we wouldn't change it up.

I'd be curious about what the PP% was like during the season, not the average for the whole thing but what it was like in the beginning and towards the end.

At any rate, I'm sort of leaning against OEL a bit, after being all for it. However, I definitely don't think we need to keep Klefbom at all costs, just because our PP can't change.
The only game they did not score on the pp vs Chicago was game where where Crawford stood on his head. They had 9 SCF and 5 HDCF in that game which means they had plenty of chances including dangerous chances. This is hardly shutting it down. Sometimes the goalie wins the battle. Even for a team with a 29% pp (which is historically high) in about 1 in 5 games you would expect to not score on 5 pp's.

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018

If we were going to give Arizona high-end ELCs for this player, they would need to be in a position where they could accommodate outgoing salary long-term. It doesn't sound like that can happen. If we were adamant on making this trade happen, the majority of value would go into finding a home for Neal's contract.
You don't think they would take Neal or Russell? Russell is owed 1 million, money wise, and is a free agent in next season. If we give them Neal, they can buy him out and he'd only be owed around 1.25 mill per season I believe

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018

Also, no one said it would be a high end ELC player lol. The talk is around Nurse who will need a contract soon

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
Assuming NYI doesn't resign him, I would rather add Derrick Brassard over Haula. He's comparable stats wise and will be half the cost.
Derrick Brassard is garbage.

Can't always be going for the cheaper alternative when you are trying to put a winning team together, Find away to offload some contracts and find players who move the needle

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Also, no one said it would be a high end ELC player lol. The talk is around Nurse who will need a contract soon
well, there's also talk of our #14, which would be a high end ELC, and if not, someone like Broberg would be an appropriate player to trade for OEL.

But you do have a point that trading Nurse would give us the long term space we need, because he's going to get 7 million in a couple years. Heck, even Klefbom. He's only 1 more year till UFA compared to Nurse, and he'd get quite a huge jump from 4 million to 6 or 7. But I strongly believe that for Arizona, that extra year at 4 is just so huge that he's who'd they want.

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
well, there's also our #14, which would be a high end ELC, and if not, someone like Broberg would be an appropriate player to trade for OEL.

But you do have a point that trading Nurse would give us the long term space we need, long term, because he's going to get 7 million in a couple years. Heck, even Klefbom. He's only 1 more year till UFA compared to Nurse, and he'd get quite a huge jump from 4 million to 6 or 7. But I strongly believe that for Arizona, that extra year at 4 is just so huge that he's who'd they want.
I highly doubt we'd give the 1st this year. I do think one of Klefbom or Nurse are gone if we get OEL. Our defence, in 2-3 years will be stacked if all goes according to development. So if its this offseason or maybe the next, one will have to be moved. This is also why I think we drafted Broberg. A replacement for Klefbom or Nurse

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad