Rumor: Rumors and Proposals Thread | OEL or Bust!

Would You Trade Oscar Klefbom, Kris Russell and the 2021 1st Round Pick For OEL?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
Because adding OEL to it wouldn't make it worse. Klefbom was terrible at keeping the puck in and he wouldn't shoot at all. All he was good at was making simple beer league passes to McDavid and Draisaitl. Why keep a powerplay simple? Look at Tampa Bays PP. Do they always just look for Kucherov? Heck no. They Sergaychev as a weapon, Hedman with a big shot and Point as the bumper
Completely understand.

But if simple turned into the best PP in the league, I say keep it simple.

Smartguy

May 3, 2010
Edmonton
Kind of sad how our whole city has a die hard fanbase and yet the team (even with McDavid and Draisaitl on it) has not really had any semblance of success. Meanwhile you have 2 teams battling for the cup whose cities probably don't know or care much about hockey.
Would be nice if Holland could make a move that shows we're ready to take the next step (and by next step I mean make the playoffs more than once in a blue moon. The bar is low but it's a bar nonetheless). The fans deserve it for all of the shit we've had to put up with. I still feel like my gut is recovering from the punch it took in the play-in.
The issue is that because of what Chia did to this team we need to draft and develop again virtually. The whole mantra behind that was the “just go for it”. I strongly believe Holland is going to go for it next offseason, the cap opens up a bit, when he was hired he said that “in a couple years we have more space and that’s when it will be time to spend”. I mean EDM was second in the division this year, they have some solid young players hopefully taking steps this season, Yamo, Bear,Bouchard, Broberg,Jones. I think if all goes well you’ll see them take a run next offseason.

The thing that drives me crazy is this fan bases obsession with never trading their first pick. EDM has to be the on the longest run of not doing that no? I believe is been over 20 years. No the Reinhardt trade doesn’t count, wasn’t EDM pick that they moved. I think part of this is because this fanbase,because of all the top picks has become obsessed with prospects, even though they haven’t seen nearly half of them hit their potential

T-Funk

Oct 15, 2006
They can simply swap houses then.
I don't see how you guys make it work long term with re-signing of RNH while paying all your young and upcoming prospects.
If we get Huberdeau, who has no loyalty to the team and whose agent is Allan Walsh, putting up 100 points, we definitely cannot afford that. For any miniscule short term savings, Yandle is destroying our cap.

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
They can simply swap houses then.
I don't see how you guys make it work long term with re-signing of RNH while paying all your young and upcoming prospects.
In the 2021 offseason we'll have $18.35M (includes RNH) coming off the books from expiring UFA deals and the Pouliot buyout penalty ending, that amount should leave room to re-sign RNH.

T-Funk

Oct 15, 2006
No one said it would be a detriment. We don't have the skill to create two PP units. Who would carry the second unit and who would even be on it aside from Yamamoto?
Oliver Ekman-Larsson would carry it.

backhandsauce

Oct 19, 2009
Remember how the Caps bought out Brooks Orpik and then resigned him?

What was the deal with that?

Smartguy

May 3, 2010
Edmonton
Remember how the Caps bought out Brooks Orpik and then resigned him?

What was the deal with that?
Calgary did the same with Stone.

See Neal, a buyout next offseason would save 3.83M against the cap, then you could re-sign him for a 1 year 1M deal, essentially saving you 2.83 against the cap

T-Funk

Oct 15, 2006

See Neal, a buyout next offseason would save 3.83M against the cap, then you could re-sign him for a 1 year 1M deal, essentially saving you 2.83 against the cap
I thought you couldn't buy out and re-sign? In the same year.

backhandsauce

Oct 19, 2009

That's what I was thinking because I actually like the player and he has a place on this team. I want to see him healthy next year and score 30. It can be done.

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
Somebody has to explain to me the rationale of ******* with a NHL Record setting power play. Holy crap this fan base can find literally anything to pick apart with this team

People see what they want to see.

It's why when you lose they immediately blame the guy they dont like even if they had a good game.

Reactions: TB12

T-Funk

Oct 15, 2006
Huberdeau still has 3 years left.
Gives you a good window to chase a cup though
I don't see Huberdeau's contributions versus Nuge while paying Yandle at least 2 million too much really being worth it. I am not nearly as attached to Nuge as others here, but he's only gonna make 7 mill on a new contract. I'd rather not overpay Yandle thru our possible cup window and then pay Huberdeau 8

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
What about Yam, Broberg and Bouchard in a few years?
Yam will get a good raise, Bouchard will still be on his ELC, and Broberg likely will not play a single NHL game before we make the decision to re-sign RNH. I could see a cap crunch coming later and maybe pushing out RNH then, but at the time RNH is up for an extension we should have the money.

ConnorMcNugesaitl

Sep 23, 2012
The issue is that because of what Chia did to this team we need to draft and develop again virtually. The whole mantra behind that was the “just go for it”. I strongly believe Holland is going to go for it next offseason, the cap opens up a bit, when he was hired he said that “in a couple years we have more space and that’s when it will be time to spend”. I mean EDM was second in the division this year, they have some solid young players hopefully taking steps this season, Yamo, Bear,Bouchard, Broberg,Jones. I think if all goes well you’ll see them take a run next offseason.

The thing that drives me crazy is this fan bases obsession with never trading their first pick. EDM has to be the on the longest run of not doing that no? I believe is been over 20 years. No the Reinhardt trade doesn’t count, wasn’t EDM pick that they moved. I think part of this is because this fanbase,because of all the top picks has become obsessed with prospects, even though they haven’t seen nearly half of them hit their potential

So the Reinhart trade doesn't count because you say so?

Ok :thumbu:

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
I can't believe what you're saying lol you keep Klefbom on the powerplay over OEL?

I think Chicago kind of figured out our powerplay a bit. Obviously it was phenomenal this year but that doesnt mean that we can't make adjustments so that it can continue to be good. The game is always changing and running the same thing will catch up to you eventually. It would be nice to have the option of OEL shooting the puck back there if teams are going to give you all that open ice.

Reactions: B33K33PING

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
I can't believe what you're saying lol you keep Klefbom on the powerplay over OEL?
I'm saying that no matter what your thoughts on the two players are, Klefbom was a part of the best powerplay in the league all season.

I don't doubt that OEL could/would be a better option as I think he does move the puck better. That said I think it's exactly the same as the DRY line. It's absolute magic, so why break it up to try and make it better?

If it's slow out the gate by all means make changes. But I can't see any logical reason to break something that is not only working, but working better than anyone elses.

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009

I agree with the pick, although I'm not sure if we'll move it this year considering we don't have a 2nd or 3rd (if i remember correctly). We'll see though. If there's smoke with OEL then I'd trade our 1st and some salary going the other way.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Somebody has to explain to me the rationale of ******* with a NHL Record setting power play. Holy crap this fan base can find literally anything to pick apart with this team
the fact that it was record setting means it is destined to regress.

Teams with amazing talent on their PP don't always put up the best PPs (ie Pittsburgh for many years), and PP% doesn't stay the same year to year.

Teams will take more time researching it and adjusting to our PP. All it takes is for one team to figure it out, and then they all do. The only way to keep the percentage high is to keep it fresh.

It really seems like OEL would be an upgrade. There has to be a better argument to keeping Klef than "don't mess with a good thing". You have to explain what he does that is so irreplaceable on it.

Last edited:
Reactions: McDoused

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
the fact that it was record setting means it is destined to regress.

Teams with amazing talent on their PP don't always put up the best PPs (ie Pittsburgh for many years), and PP% doesn't stay the same year to year.

Teams will take more time researching it and adjusting to our PP. All it takes is for one team to figure it out, and then they all do. The only way to keep the percentage high is to keep it fresh.

It really seems like OEL would be an upgrade. There has to be a better argument to keeping Klef than "don't mess with a good thing". You have to explain what he does that is so irreplaceable on it.
I think when something is working really well, you let it keep working until it doesn't.

Making changes before changes are necessary doesn't seem productive to me either.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
I thought you couldn't buy out and re-sign? In the same year.

Sort of. You aren’t allowed to buy a player out with the intention of then signing them to a better deal. The year thing is with compliance buyouts. The Caps could sign Orpik because they didn’t buy him out, Colorado did. And Calgary was allowed to sign Stone because they didn’t intend to sign him, but then one of their dmen got hurt and they circled back to him later on

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
Might as well take everyone off of Arizona.

Phil Kessel (6.8) + OEL (8.25) + Darcy Kuemper (4.5)

for

James Neal (5.75) + Kris Russell (4) + Darnell Nurse (5.6) + Andreas Athanasiou (3) + 2021 1st round pick

Why does Arizona do this? No idea.

:laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad